PDA

View Full Version : McDowell could be looking for a ride

tstran17_88
12th August 2008, 02:49
McDowell could be looking for a ride UPDATE Skinner?: #00-Michael McDowell, the Michael Waltrip Racing rookie, said Friday that he may be on the market for a new team, depending on MWR’s sponsorship search. He’s already spoken to several teams about his driving future, including Petty Enterprises. Petty official Robbie Loomis said Friday that McDowell is among a small group of three or four drivers being considered for the team’s #45 car next season. McDowell said MWR has an option on him, but if it does not secure a sponsor for him in the next few weeks, he may have to look elsewhere for a ride. Casey Mears and Chad McCumbee have also been mentioned as candidates for Petty’s #45 car. Other options that potentially could be available to McDowell include Chip Ganassi Racing’s #41 car and Gillett Evernham Motorsports’ #10 car. There are also openings at Penske Racing and Richard Childress Racing.(SceneDaily)(8-9-2008)
UPDATE: Mike Skinner is listed in the Michigan entry list as the driver of the #00 Champion Mortgage Toyota field by Michael Waltrip Racing, no word on what is up with regular driver Michael McDowell. The MIchigan entry list will be posted in a bit(8-11-2008)

http://www.jayski.com/cupnews.htm#news00

tstran17_88
12th August 2008, 02:52
Mikey sure has given Reutimann a longer leash than this kid. :rolleyes:

Sparky1329
12th August 2008, 03:07
The #00 team is only a few points out of the top 35. Mikey obviously does not trust McDowell to make the leap.

RaceFanStan
12th August 2008, 03:21
The #00 was IN the top 35 in Owners Points when Michael McDowell took over ...
but now he has taken the #00 OUT of the top 35 in Owners Points ... http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/eek.gif
causing a 9 car pile-up that collected his boss Michael Waltrip @ Watkins Glen sealed his doom ... http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/rolleyes.gif
McDowell was promoted to Cup racing too soon & proves he wasn't ready for the Cup level ... http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/rolleyes.gif
now he will likely step back IF anyone will give him a ride in Nationwide or Trucks ...

Sparky1329
12th August 2008, 05:21
Good point, Stan. Causing a wreck that takes out your boss is probably not a positive move to earn a driver some job security.

ms0362
12th August 2008, 18:58
Probably southbound for the truck series, at best.

Sparky1329
12th August 2008, 21:24
On This Week in NASCAR last night Mikey blamed the accident entirely on David Gilliland. What really stinks is that Michael uses the platform he has on TWIN to throw drivers under the bus without affording that driver the opportunity to respond and rebut. Now I know why Robby Gordon called him a POS.

RaceFanStan
14th August 2008, 14:08
Looks like Michael Waltrip Racing is calling on a veteran driver to get the #00 back in the top 35 ...
Mike Skinner, the 1995 Craftsman Truck Series Champion, has been drafted to drive the #00 -
at least for the next 3 Sprint Cup Series races that is ...
(Mike Skinner has not won a Cup points race, his lone victory came in an exhibition race in Japan.)
(Mike Skinner has 24 Truck Series CTS victories (1995 thru 2007) & 1 Busch Series victory (Atlanta 1999) ...
Mike Skinner has not yet scored a CTS win in 2008 but has had 3 top 5s & 12 top 10s in 15 races ...

http://www.nascar.com/2008/news/headlines/cup/08/12/mskinner.replaces.mmcdowell.michigan/index.html

Lee Roy
14th August 2008, 14:21
Looks like Michael Waltrip Racing is calling on a veteran driver to get the #00 back in the top 35 ...
Mike Skinner, the 1995 Craftsman Truck Series Champion, has been drafted to drive the #00 -
at least for the next 3 Sprint Cup Series races that is ...
(Mike Skinner has not won a Cup points race, his lone victory came in an exhibition race in Japan.)
(Mike Skinner has 24 Truck Series CTS victories (1995 thru 2007) & 1 Busch Series victory (Atlanta 1999) ...
Mike Skinner has not yet scored a CTS win in 2008 but has had 3 top 5s & 12 top 10s in 15 races ...

http://www.nascar.com/2008/news/headlines/cup/08/12/mskinner.replaces.mmcdowell.michigan/index.html

But you can usually count on Skinner to have the steady finishes that will put the #00 car back into the top 35.

tstran17_88
14th August 2008, 18:17
On This Week in NASCAR last night Mikey blamed the accident entirely on David Gilliland. What really stinks is that Michael uses the platform he has on TWIN to throw drivers under the bus without affording that driver the opportunity to respond and rebut. Now I know why Robby Gordon called him a POS.I kind of lost interest in that show when Kenny Schrader wasn't on anymore. Whenever Mikey started taking out his A-hole...Kenny would be the first to put him in his place.

Simmi
14th August 2008, 18:35
On This Week in NASCAR last night Mikey blamed the accident entirely on David Gilliland. What really stinks is that Michael uses the platform he has on TWIN to throw drivers under the bus without affording that driver the opportunity to respond and rebut. Now I know why Robby Gordon called him a POS.

I cant quite figure how fighting for a position, being given no racing room and then put into the tyre barrier works out as Gilliland's fault. Should he have just given up fighting for the position.

They probably were having a dispute in other corners too but as far as I can see McDowell turns into the #38 in front of the rest of the field and knew what he was doing. I'm sure he regrets it now the dust has settled.

Sparky1329
14th August 2008, 21:57
I cant quite figure how fighting for a position, being given no racing room and then put into the tyre barrier works out as Gilliland's fault. Should he have just given up fighting for the position.

They probably were having a dispute in other corners too but as far as I can see McDowell turns into the #38 in front of the rest of the field and knew what he was doing. I'm sure he regrets it now the dust has settled.

I agree with you. I guess Mikey's panties were in a knot about his bent up car even though McDowell finished the race. The track might need to re-think the tire barrier in that location since the impact bounced the #38 back into traffic.

Sparky1329
14th August 2008, 22:01
I kind of lost interest in that show when Kenny Schrader wasn't on anymore. Whenever Mikey started taking out his A-hole...Kenny would be the first to put him in his place.

When he's on Chad Knaus does a pretty good job of smacking him. I don't watch the program every week because I can't handle too much of Waltrip at one time.