PDA

View Full Version : Wildcard Entries

harsha
9th August 2008, 07:15
what do you people think of Wildcard Entries :?:

ofcourse the driver has to be able to be within a certain time limit and all...

elinagr
9th August 2008, 08:57
we dont think

ArrowsFA1
9th August 2008, 09:07
what do you people think of Wildcard Entries :?:
Nice idea, but I don't see it happening. I'd like to see teams running a 3rd car at times to give opportunities to the talented youngsters they have on contract, but who get limited opportunities and whose careers sometimes suffer as a result.

It seems one of the biggest barriers is the rigid structure imposed on the teams. Two cars, same liveries, everything perfect in the paddock! F1 needs a bit of variety for goodness sake!!

inimitablestoo
9th August 2008, 09:23
It would be nice to bring the grid up to a decent size again. How it would be regulated, though, is another matter. You'd probably get Ferrari or McLaren bringing in an extra car when the championship got to its crucial phase. After all, it's a frequently used tactic in other series where such things are allowed.

It would be interesting to see some privateer entries making one-off appearances - a Prodrive McLaren perhaps - but probably equally unlikely, if only because few privateers would have access to the kind of resources required to run an F1 car for even one race these days. Perhaps a more likely scenario would be a new team being allowed to run the last few races of a season in preparation for a full programme the following year, something we last saw - I think - with Coloni in 1986.

harsha
9th August 2008, 09:27
Perhaps a more likely scenario would be a new team being allowed to run the last few races of a season in preparation for a full programme the following year, something we last saw - I think - with Coloni in 1986.

:up:

you do have the Illmor Wild Card entries in Motogp 2007

markabilly
9th August 2008, 17:06
Sounds like too much fun for the the fans who would actually go to the race, to see their national hero take on the foriegners, when everyone knows that management of F1 considers fans attending the races to be nothing more than a major headache and source of problems, to be excluded from the entire process of a race as much as possible (unless they have 10k for a special pass or big time sponsor or "celerbigtity" status), and in general cause more problems than they are worth even at several hundred dollars per head, as everyone knows it is sponsors and tv that is important..

MrJan
9th August 2008, 17:12
Wild card entries work fairly well in bike racing so I don't see why it shouldn't in F1. Obviously a wild card can't score constructor's points but I don't see how F1 would struggle to organise it any more than Moto GP.

Obviously it won't happen because not only F1 management but also many of the so called fans will just whinge and complain about it because they are so close minded.

speeddurango
10th August 2008, 01:35
It's a cool idea, but unfortunately it's F1, and its threshold is too high these days. Each team is restricted to 2 cars and no customer cars allowed rule basically shut the door for any casual participants. Plus the ultra competitive field meant that anybody entering without a good preparation will be nothing but a joke, because you have to remember, these days, the first and last are only seperated by 2 seconds per lap, remember 5 years ago? It was like more than 4 seconds.

Marshall
10th August 2008, 02:04
I reckon its an awesome idea. Not sure how they'd get it to work (which team supplies the car, etc) but it would be great if it happened.

jso1985
10th August 2008, 03:27
It would be good as we could see more cars on track...

but knowing modern F1 it could lead to ugly tactics...

Imagine a 3rd Ferrari just about to be lapped by Hamilton....

Rollo
11th August 2008, 05:49
It would be interesting to see some privateer entries making one-off appearances - a Prodrive McLaren perhaps - but probably equally unlikely, if only because few privateers would have access to the kind of resources required to run an F1 car for even one race these days.

Would a one off appearance still be subject to the $48m entrance fee? Would teams get penalised for making non-appearances at FIA events like they have in the past?

To even build an F1 car requires something akin to an aerospace company. The whole idea of a "privateer" is quite the impossibilty these days.

ShiftingGears
11th August 2008, 06:02

I was thinking the same thing. But still, it'd be great to see how it pans out. Giving more drivers a go is a good idea :up:

inimitablestoo
11th August 2008, 12:55
Would a one off appearance still be subject to the $48m entrance fee? Would teams get penalised for making non-appearances at FIA events like they have in the past?

To even build an F1 car requires something akin to an aerospace company. The whole idea of a "privateer" is quite the impossibilty these days.

Well, the entrance fee wouldn't be the full one, but you'd probably still make them pay a sizeable sum. And no, you wouldn't get penalised, as a one-off entry would be just that - and would probably be discouraged, if anything, from making more than two or three appearances.

As for the build - well, if they were customer cars, that wouldn't be an issue. But you're right, as things stand it just ain't gonna happen.

Knock-on
11th August 2008, 12:59
I wouldn't be opposed to in in principal but it would have to be on a ranking system and not whoever can afford the seat.

While "pay" drivers have funded some teams and turned up the odd brilliant driver, most of the time they are pure dross and I don't want to see a WDC decided by some muppet with more money than ability.

jens
11th August 2008, 15:43

To be honest, this is my main concern too. Third drivers do not have anything to lose, they don't score WCC points. They are not driving a full season, so they don't have a WDC-interest either. So it will finally turn out something like top teams giving a third car to their test driver to participate in team strategy and fulfil "team tasks".

I don't think we can make a straight comparison between F1 and bike racing here. In bike racing the possibilities of a wild card obstructing a front runner's race are more limited (lapping occurs more rarely, no pitstop strategies, passing is generally easier).

ChrisS
12th August 2008, 00:09
For wildcards to work firstly customer cars must be allowed in F1, then have rules stability for a few years so that old F1 cars will still be legal to race

Moreover the idea of wildcards works best when teams and racers from the local championship that uses the same equipment take part in their county's world championship race. Their knowledge of the equipment and the circuit helps them to be competitive. Since there are no local F1 championships it will be very hard to wildcard. A driver in an old F1 car for the first time in a circuit he doesnt know wont manage much.

There are some examples of "wildcard entries" in F1, a few quite successful. John Love who was the dominant driver at the South African F1 Championship used to take part in the South African F1 Grand Prix and once managed to finish 2nd.

Rollo
12th August 2008, 00:57
There are some examples of "wildcard entries" in F1, a few quite successful. John Love who was the dominant driver at the South African F1 Championship used to take part in the South African F1 Grand Prix and once managed to finish 2nd.

Do Brabham or McLaren count as a wildcard entries?

40 years ago, a constructor on a relatively modest budget could build an F1 car using materials that didn't necesarily cost a lot. The single biggest change in F1 was represented with the McLaren MP4/1 and that being the use of carbon fibre, which is now ubiquitous.
To even build a car requires the use of an industrial autoclave which is beyond what you'd consider a "normal" privateer.

Then there's the problem of wind tunnel and crash testing, the latter of which Jackie Stewart nearly ran foul of in the initial setup of the SF01

Valve Bounce
12th August 2008, 01:25
Great idea, but lost in the execution.

52Paddy
12th August 2008, 08:54
I don't think wildcard entries pose too many problems for the championship.

Tactics might make a crucial point of the championship decided on unfair grounds but, really, all a third car can do if fill a spot on the podium. If the third car is not allowed to score points, it won't make a great difference.

The cost is very high but I'm convinced at least a handful of people would jump at the opportunity to enter an F1 race privately. In WRC, albeit much easier, local privateers doing well against the main championship drivers is one aspect I really enjoy; with privateers back in F1, who knows who could turn up?

If you're funding your own entry (or with part of a private team), then I don't think we can complain about "drivers with the bigger wallet win, as opposed to those with more ability." Yes, its true and very probable that a lot of dull drivers would enter a race but, their chances of winning are slim, particularly if the car is a year old. And, if they do win, they have to comply with the same rules as other drivers. Its not the same as a pay driver really. He is not taking a place in a team (like Christian Klien did), he is just running his own show, so the guys with 'ability' are still there.

Although, the only problem it could pose is that some privateer may enter a race, a midfield team sees the dollar signs and hire him as a pay driver for the following season, then fire some paid driver that they picked up from as feeder series, prematurely. :s ,

I'd still be all for it though! :D

Dzeidzei
13th August 2008, 19:25
I reckon its an awesome idea. Not sure how they'd get it to work (which team supplies the car, etc) but it would be great if it happened.

And why? Do you really want the bransons of the world cruising around Spa? More drivers would be great but it should be thru more teams (and that seem hard enough).

We already have wildcard entries. They are just called paid drives.

Rollo
14th August 2008, 00:02
Imagine a 3rd Ferrari just about to be lapped by Hamilton...

Would it be the Tesco Value Ferrari?
http://images.wikia.com/uncyclopedia/images/2/26/Tescoferrari.jpg

Made from:
- Cardboard 75%
- PVA Glue 10%
- Watercolour paint (decoration) 7%
- Masking tape 5%
- Salt 2%
- Reclaimed poultry extract 1%

Either that or the third Ferrari could be a... Lolo Ferrari :D From what I've heard the suspension is great.

Knock-on
14th August 2008, 09:43
And why? Do you really want the bransons of the world cruising around Spa? More drivers would be great but it should be thru more teams (and that seem hard enough).

We already have wildcard entries. They are just called paid drives.

That's why I think there should be a criteria for wild card entries before every Tom, Dick and Harry with 1/4 a million quid gets a race.

Sometimes a paid driver is a good way of getting a great prospect into F1. Look at Schumacher. He was a Mercedes paid driver to start with!

However, lets hope that other paid / sponsored drivers show more loyalty ;)

harsha
15th August 2008, 14:58
That's why I think there should be a criteria for wild card entries before every Tom, Dick and Harry with 1/4 a million quid gets a race.

Sometimes a paid driver is a good way of getting a great prospect into F1. Look at Schumacher. He was a Mercedes paid driver to start with!

However, lets hope that other paid / sponsored drivers show more loyalty ;)

maybe the wildcards should be kept for those drivers who are in the GP2 feeder series....

Knock-on
18th August 2008, 11:45
maybe the wildcards should be kept for those drivers who are in the GP2 feeder series....

That was my initial though.

Sure, some drivers have leapfrogged the intermediate formula (Kimi) but generally, they're mainly in GP2.

harsha
19th August 2008, 17:16
wouldn't that help GP2 as well....get the series more visibility and all

Knock-on
19th August 2008, 17:37
wouldn't that help GP2 as well....get the series more visibility and all

Well, I suppose so but GP2 has pretty good visibility already.

Then we have the option of Pay drivers.

As I said earlier, if we didn't have Paid seats, we might never have had Schumacher for example and if only allowing GP2, what about Kimi.

Difficult one.

52Paddy
19th August 2008, 18:20
Well, I suppose so but GP2 has pretty good visibility already.

Then we have the option of Pay drivers.

As I said earlier, if we didn't have Paid seats, we might never have had Schumacher for example and if only allowing GP2, what about Kimi.

Difficult one.

Not sure if this has been suggested: I don't find a problem with pay drivers but just as long as they don't rob a good talent of a seat. In F1, this happens often enough (up to debate on who those drivers are) so, no, I'm not a fan of pay drivers with the current rules and regulations. However, I would have no problem seeing a driver paying for a third seat. If he under-performs, so what? He is less of a team player and he is only losing his own money. The two core team drivers would hopefully be hired based on talent (though, complications still exist realistically speaking. This suggestion doesn't necessarily stop 2nd drivers paying for their seat unless a specific rule against that was implemented, ha!)

I can ponder on it though.

EDIT: This, of course, would give space for up and coming GP2 (and other feeder series') drivers who are on the way up. And, at the same time, teams who want to hire a driver with cash can do so. They can have the best of both worlds, so to speak.

harsha
19th August 2008, 18:33
wouldn't it be better if the teams run 3 cars instead of the two in that case....

or will the grid be too large?

52Paddy
20th August 2008, 21:49
wouldn't it be better if the teams run 3 cars instead of the two in that case....

or will the grid be too large?

And have two scoring manufacturers points, one not? I wouldn't see a problem with that. But it would be nice to think the third driver would become the only pay driver for the team, and the rest are hired on talent/experience.

Grid too large? Is that possible? :p :