PDA

View Full Version : How Much?!!!!

Hazell B
8th August 2008, 19:17
The computer monitor packed in yesterday, so off we went to Argos, Tesco and a computer shop to replace it.

Hundred and twenty quid!

So I caught a nice, but slightly oddball, geek with a small computer shop in town just before he closed up for the day and offered him a fiver for the ancient screen he was using as a window display.

That's five for him and one fifteen extra in my pocket :D

JSH
8th August 2008, 19:34
Wow, you should break the monitor down and get all the precious metals out of it. Then sell them and maybe get another 10 quid back. :p :

Hazell B
8th August 2008, 20:02
:laugh:

He had another two in the shop the same if anyone fancies a rag n bone francise :)

Drew
8th August 2008, 20:14
Wow, you should break the monitor down and get all the precious metals out of it. Then sell them and maybe get another 10 quid back. :p :

What do you think she's doing with the broken one? :p :

BDunnell
8th August 2008, 20:14
I had to get a new screen for my MacBook recently. Had I not managed to persuade the Mac repair people that the fault was abnormal, meaning they paid for it, it would have cost an absurd amount of money.

Daniel
9th August 2008, 09:37
The computer monitor packed in yesterday, so off we went to Argos, Tesco and a computer shop to replace it.

Hundred and twenty quid!

So I caught a nice, but slightly oddball, geek with a small computer shop in town just before he closed up for the day and offered him a fiver for the ancient screen he was using as a window display.

That's five for him and one fifteen extra in my pocket :D

That's how much it costs :)

You'll find over the years that your new purchase of a CRT monitor costs you that extra £115 in electricity costs anyway. I've still got a CRT but I'm hoping to get myself a nice big 22 or 24 inch LCD sometime :)

Enjoy! :p

SEATFreak
9th August 2008, 13:04
A lesson for Hazzel B.

I took my harddrive to a place called Falcon Computers near the Stadium of Light in Sunderland. I bought a webcam so I can chat to my uncle in Dubai over Messenger Live. I couldn't get my webcam to work properly. I got a visual but audio was one-way. I could hear him but he couldn't hear me. I took it in to be replaced and got a better one by Philips. This time I could get visual but no audio. I took it in to be repaired and a week later got it back where it turns out all they had to do was set the setting properly. It only cost me £15 as it took under 1hr to do. Over that and it's £35. It still doesn't work but repairs only cost me £15.

Point is though I have had a lot of problems with it I am still glad got it as I only paid whatever it was I paid for it. I think £120 was very steep to pay for a new monitor.

Shop around for the best deal. Don't just settle for one of the High Street stores like Currys and Argos. Go to a really good Independent who will probably give you a better deal.

Mark
9th August 2008, 13:25
£120 is good for a monitor! You just need to look at how expensive they were a few years ago and you will see how exceptionally cheap they are now. As for the webcam I am not suprised most faults like that are due to user misconfiguration. And what were you doing getting a brand new product 'repaired' anyway!

SEATFreak
9th August 2008, 16:18
And what were you doing getting a brand new product 'repaired' anyway!

That is my business and mine only and nothing for you use against me.

janneppi
9th August 2008, 17:30
I've still got a CRT but I'm hoping to get myself a nice big 22 or 24 inch LCD sometime :)

I'm looking at the world through a week old 22" Eizo S2201W LCD screen. :)

By any chance would you be interested in a 8 year old 19" Samtron CRT? :D

Hazell B
9th August 2008, 17:43
£120 is good for a monitor!

That's what somebody told me, considering it was okay quality, etc.

However, a fiver is better :D

By the way, if it was a penny an hour to use this five quid screen, it would have to be on for years and years to cost me the extra - and it isn't anything like that much I wouldn't have thought. Heaters are that much!

Garry Walker
9th August 2008, 18:13
120 quid is not THAT much at all for a new monitor.

ChrisS
9th August 2008, 21:33
120 is a good price for a new monitor and if you are going to buy a new PC component there is no point in buying something that is already obsolete.

Whenever I have to change something on my PC I go for good quality high-end components (not top of the line but better than average) and with this method I always have a good spec PC while the costs are spread.

Mark
9th August 2008, 22:06
Depends what you want to do with your pc. If it is basic stuff on an old computer then a £5 monitor will work just as well.
ps. Seatfreak read up on the sale of goods act. It may well save you some money.

Daniel
9th August 2008, 22:14
Whenever I have to change something on my PC I go for good quality high-end components (not top of the line but better than average) and with this method I always have a good spec PC while the costs are spread.

It's also very true that the more you spend the more you get, the less you have to spend in the future and the less trouble you have.

Janneppi I'll swap for you for a Dell 17" CRT? :p

janneppi
10th August 2008, 01:50
Only if you cover the shipping costs. :p :

J4MIE
10th August 2008, 02:45
£120 is good for a monitor! You just need to look at how expensive they were a few years ago and you will see how exceptionally cheap they are now. As for the webcam I am not suprised most faults like that are due to user misconfiguration. And what were you doing getting a brand new product 'repaired' anyway!

Seconded :up: The monitor in Tesco looks pretty good too. Couldn't believe the price fo their laptops either!!

leopard
12th August 2008, 04:11
Come with the old one as it is to the flea market, and trade in with the better one. It should be cheaper than buying the clean new. :)

Dave B
13th August 2008, 08:06
My dad just gave me his old 19" Samsung CRT "in case it was useful", and I happily discovered that my lappy has dual-monitor support as standard. So now it's sitting in the corner streaming the Olympics while I crack on with other stuff :D