PDA

View Full Version : The chickens have arrived!

KILOHMUNNS
7th August 2008, 22:19
We have just had a delivery of chickens today (1 Miss pepperpot and 2 ginger rangers) with their egloo.

Wasn't sure it was a good idea at first but the wife and kids wanted them so I thought what the hell! Has fun trying to put them in the egloo tonight though, they just didn't want to go in it so I had to climb in the run and push them in! Can't imagine what the neighbours thought :D

Just interested to see if many others also have chickens in their back garden?

GridGirl
7th August 2008, 22:45
Chicken's? Isn't that a bit Big Brother? ;) :p

I haven't got any, but I have just spent the last hour looking at toy amimals as a bithday present for a 2 year old and settled on a Happyland Farm. Back on topic, a friend of mine has a rare breed farm with various rare breed chicken's, hen, pigs and sheep. They win prizes at the Royal Welsh show with them. :)

veeten
8th August 2008, 02:41
Old McDonald...

farm...

E-I-E-I-O... :p :

Mark
8th August 2008, 08:30
Apparently quite a lot of people are doing it, what with the price of eggs :p . Although I'm not sure how much grain it takes to make one egg :crazy:

Azumanga Davo
8th August 2008, 14:50
We have just had a delivery of chickens today (1 Miss pepperpot and 2 ginger rangers) with their egloo.

Wasn't sure it was a good idea at first but the wife and kids wanted them so I thought what the hell! Has fun trying to put them in the egloo tonight though, they just didn't want to go in it so I had to climb in the run and push them in! Can't imagine what the neighbours thought :D

Just interested to see if many others also have chickens in their back garden?

It's really hard to tell which posts are Hazell's these days. Everyone's got a weekly farm story going. :D

J4MIE
8th August 2008, 18:23
Apparently quite a lot of people are doing it, what with the price of eggs :p . Although I'm not sure how much grain it takes to make one egg :crazy:

Ah yes but you get a chicken as well :D

I always had my money on the chicken coming first :up:

Hazell B
8th August 2008, 19:13
I always had my money on the chicken coming first :up:

Wise words.

There was a mass giveaway of ex-battery chickens last week in three or four areas of the UK. It saved them going for their necks rung and in to fertilizer (they're not edible after laying). Are they some of those by chance?

We don't keep them. We have foxes, dogs, a mad cat and Mr Stoaty - all fine hen hunters :p :

By the way, it's about 2% of their bodyweight per day for six(ish) eggs a week when they're in laying age and condition, I think. No idea what they weight though .... just chicken feed I guess :D

Or are they featherweight? :confused:

Azumanga Davo
9th August 2008, 11:32
Wise words.

There was a mass giveaway of ex-battery chickens last week in three or four areas of the UK. It saved them going for their necks rung and in to fertilizer (they're not edible after laying). Are they some of those by chance?

Being a simple townie (emphasis on simple is very strong I imagine...), why are the chickens inedible after the laying?

Hazell B
9th August 2008, 17:35
It's not a stupid question :)
They're a bit old to be tasty, plus tough from the work their bodies do pruducing and shoving eggs out daily.

Like old mother sheep become mutton, layers become chicken stock and pet food.