PDA

View Full Version : The Olympics thread

Valve Bounce
7th August 2008, 02:12
I am surprised that there has not been a discussion thread on this topic as the opening ceremony is on today.

The city is blanketed in a thick smog and our sports correspondent reports that you cannot see anything beyond 100 metres, and that will seriously affect the opening ceremony as you won't be able to see anything. Of course, the Chinese will probably fire up rockets and shells with Silver Iodide to produce rain which hopefully will clear the air.

It was interesting that the US Team arrived at the airport wearing masks - I suppose Darth Vader masks at the opening ceremony would be a very wise choice.

My sister, on a recent group tour to Beijing and other parts of China told me that of the 40 or so in the group, only two of them did not suffer from serious chest infections. Although I worked in HK for 16 years, I have avoided going to Beijing like the plague. HK's diesel fumes were bad enough :eek:

The most interesting athlete (for me) will be the US swimmer who will be going for 8 gold medals. I just wonder whether anyone can fully comprehend such an accomplishment. Then there is the Aussi rower Tomkins competing in his sixth Olympics. He's already won quite a few medals.

So! this thread is open for discussions.

gloomyDAY
7th August 2008, 02:38
Nobody cares.

The Olympics used to be about triumph, diligence, and honest competition. Now it's about Coca-Cola and how many dollars you can make in a Communist state.

raybak
7th August 2008, 04:01
I'll be watching the games. Hope there aren't too many drug cheats.

Ray

Storm
7th August 2008, 06:41
It's boring really.
My country never wins anything so its even harder to get excited about....we didn't even qualify for Hockey this time...which used to be the national sport.

I used to watch all games till the 1992/6 Olympics but after that I have hardly even watched a minute of it.

Most of the sports are boring...archery, shooting, walking (!) etc :z
Sure the athletes work hard and talented but these are not proper sports!

Only chance I might keep an eye on the football results since Ronaldinho is playing and as might Leo Messi if Barcelona let him :s

gadjo_dilo
7th August 2008, 07:05
We couldn't discuss until now because they haven't started yet. Although I hate the opeining ceremonies ( too much human effort and too much money for nothing ) I worried I could miss the Friday one. But as somebody up in the sky loves me we'll have a short Friday and I'll be home in time.

Neither my country has any chance to win medals. In the past we were no.1 in women gymnastics but now we've lost the famous couple of coaches Belu/Bitang and the golden team is just a memory.
Problem is that the live TV transmissions are exactly when I'm at work.

jso1985
7th August 2008, 07:16
Looking forward to see if Argentina fails in football :p
They're the only team who thinks this is the world cup so they are sending an almost top team while other countries give other players a chance....

as for Bolivia, all of our 7 athletes(yes just 7) got there by invitation as none here could reahc the minimun marks. one swimmer, Katherine Moreno, will be assisting to her 6th olympic games I think, let's hope she doesn't finish among the bottom 5 this time :s

Azumanga Davo
7th August 2008, 10:31
Eric the Eel going? ;) If not, Ill give it a miss.

Should be interesting to find out who will be this year's heartwarming performance for giving it their best, even though it may be woefully short of the standards expected. At least they give it a go. :)

DonJippo
7th August 2008, 11:10
Football has started already Brazil-Belgium 0-0 after first half.

DonJippo
7th August 2008, 11:54
And Brazil won it 1-0, referee was a joke hopefully he likes Chinese food because he don't have anything else to do rest of the tournament than eat well and go sight seeing.

pino
7th August 2008, 12:56
I will watch most of the disciplines and I too hope there won't be many drug-cheats :down:

Drew
7th August 2008, 16:35
And Brazil won it 1-0, referee was a joke hopefully he likes Chinese food because he don't have anything else to do rest of the tournament than eat well and go sight seeing.

Lol he was an idiot. Time wasting, yellow card, end of match!

Lousada
7th August 2008, 19:35
8 football matches and already 5 red cards, thats more than whole Euro2008 lol. With all those referees from forgotten places, I always get the idea it's rigged.

ioan
7th August 2008, 21:05
How the heck did they start the games before the opening ceremony?!

BTW I'll have to check when the ceremony is, as I have no ideea, but would like to see at least that, as I'll be away from home starting with tomorrow evening.

Roamy
7th August 2008, 23:01
the drug cheats and our total bitch cheat liar has eroded any interest I have in the olympics.

I will watch the NFL where they carry the "coke" right in their pockets.

Is this a great world or what - lets make everything legal and release everyone from prison!!

Oh sh!t does this mean I want to be a Euro?? Well maybe a Italian, Spainard, or a portugal (what the hell are they called) Porties?

Valve Bounce
8th August 2008, 00:25

BTW I'll have to check when the ceremony is, as I have no ideea, but would like to see at least that, as I'll be away from home starting with tomorrow evening.

Today - 8th day of the eight month in year 2008. And it will be in the evening, so you can check the timing from this website. http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/

Of course, it will also be on the telly so you should be able to check that on you newspaper's TV programs.

The opening ceremony is supposed to be the most spectacular even ever made by man (not counting the parting of the Red Sea by Moses, of course), with 10,000 performers. Let's hope it is not smogged out.

ozrevhead
8th August 2008, 00:44
the drug cheats and our total bitch cheat liar has eroded any interest I have in the olympics.

I will watch the NFL where they carry the "coke" right in their pockets.

Is this a great world or what - lets make everything legal and release everyone from prison!!

Oh sh!t does this mean I want to be a Euro?? Well maybe a Italian, Spainard, or a portugal (what the hell are they called) Porties?
dont like it thats fine but to those who think like you leave us who want to watch the olympics in peace :mad: :mad: :mad:

If your so against it why did you bother to post in a Olympic thread for? Off topic I found it astonishing that posters bother to comment in threads about things they hate - can someone tell me the point of that. You are within your rights to post a anti-olympics thread if you must!

Anyways I cant wait myself (and thats my right fousto!!!) and I am more into the endurace events (Cycling Road Race and TT, Marathon, 1500mts swimming etc.) and take interest in team sports (basketball, football etc.)

The Cycling Road race I can not wait for (I stayed up all 21 days of the TDF) And im more confident about our chances of a medal for this race than the whole games!

AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE!

ozrevhead
8th August 2008, 00:46

to fit everything in the three weeks I guess

Valve Bounce
8th August 2008, 02:19
ioan, you will find that the timing of the opening ceremony, as I explained, has everything to do with the number 8. Not only is the date 8/8/2008 but the numbers add up to 26 and if you add 2 and 6, yep it also comes to eight.

I'll take this opportunity to explain the significance of the number 8 - it is (in Cantonese) pronounced "baht" which sounds like "faht" which means prosperous in Chinese. In Hong Kong, where lucky number licence plates are auctioned off and the money goes to charity, if my memory is correct, the licence plate 8 went off for around 11 million Hong Kong dollars, or around one and a half million US dollars. The number 118 (every day prosperous) went for well over a million HK dollars to a Lambo owner, who then put his lucky number on his brand new Lambo and drove through the Cross Harbour Tunnel, only to be stuck in a traffic jam inside the tunnel where his Lambo caught fire. I suppose you could say that he was lucky his insurance covered his car. :p :

Storm
8th August 2008, 06:47
ozrev, its called the olympic thread...even though you may like it or dislike it, that opinion is still valid in this thread...
I don't see the thread title as post only if you love archery, javelin throw :)

as for me I mentioned that I watched all games till 1992 but started disliking all these things later on...well I would watch almost anything when I was in school/college...golf, rugby, pool, basketball, anything really :s
Now I never watch these sports either..I guess its do with my growing up too that I find less number of sports that exciting anymore.

Valve Bounce
8th August 2008, 06:58
Now I never watch these sports either..I guess its do with my growing up too that I find less number of sports that exciting anymore.

That's a shame - maybe here is something that might bring back some excitement into your life: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-DsNnCAGUk

AndyRAC
8th August 2008, 07:47
dont like it thats fine but to those who think like you leave us who want to watch the olympics in peace :mad: :mad: :mad:

If your so against it why did you bother to post in a Olympic thread for? Off topic I found it astonishing that posters bother to comment in threads about things they hate - can someone tell me the point of that. You are within your rights to post a anti-olympics thread if you must!

Anyways I cant wait myself (and thats my right fousto!!!) and I am more into the endurace events (Cycling Road Race and TT, Marathon, 1500mts swimming etc.) and take interest in team sports (basketball, football etc.)

The Cycling Road race I can not wait for (I stayed up all 21 days of the TDF) And im more confident about our chances of a medal for this race than the whole games!

AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE!

I'm looking forward to the Cycling road race, the tactics should be interesting. Will they ride for their country or will the pro-teams ride together?

Mark
8th August 2008, 08:32
Well after what seems a lifetime of buildup, it starts! The only problem is that after these games are finished we'll have an even more intense 4 year build up to the London games!

ioan
8th August 2008, 08:43
ioan, you will find that the timing of the opening ceremony, as I explained, has everything to do with the number 8. Not only is the date 8/8/2008 but the numbers add up to 26 and if you add 2 and 6, yep it also comes to eight.

I'll take this opportunity to explain the significance of the number 8 - it is (in Cantonese) pronounced "baht" which sounds like "faht" which means prosperous in Chinese. In Hong Kong, where lucky number licence plates are auctioned off and the money goes to charity, if my memory is correct, the licence plate 8 went off for around 11 million Hong Kong dollars, or around one and a half million US dollars. The number 118 (every day prosperous) went for well over a million HK dollars to a Lambo owner, who then put his lucky number on his brand new Lambo and drove through the Cross Harbour Tunnel, only to be stuck in a traffic jam inside the tunnel where his Lambo caught fire. I suppose you could say that he was lucky his insurance covered his car. :p :

Thanks for explaining this interesting aspect! :)

Valve Bounce
8th August 2008, 09:38
Thanks for explaining this interesting aspect! :)

Don't forget to rush out and buy a lottery ticket immediately!! I hope you win, and I hope you will then buy a lovely house and a Ferrari!! :up:

ozrevhead
8th August 2008, 11:05
I'm looking forward to the Cycling road race, the tactics should be interesting. Will they ride for their country or will the pro-teams ride together?
Country

Spanash and German teams will be strong but we can match it I think - Australians overall had a great TDF and Im hoping we can carry that into the Olympics

ozrevhead
8th August 2008, 11:06
ozrev, its called the olympic thread...even though you may like it or dislike it, that opinion is still valid in this thread...
I don't see the thread title as post only if you love archery, javelin throw :)

as for me I mentioned that I watched all games till 1992 but started disliking all these things later on...well I would watch almost anything when I was in school/college...golf, rugby, pool, basketball, anything really :s
yeah its called the olymic thread and you think that the cynics could have enough controll to let the rest of us enjoy it - its only two weeks!!

jens
8th August 2008, 11:16
Estonia has a good chance for a gold medal in discus, so watch that! :p : Besides that we probably have a couple of contenders for lower podium steps and that's about it.

Generally I don't plan to watch much (the olympics-enthusiasm I had in the past, is disappearing), most important information should be got from the evening Olympic day summaries.

harsha
8th August 2008, 11:25
woohoo!!!! India's gonna get one medal

what a freakin achievement :rolleyes:
:D

Drew
8th August 2008, 16:57
How come India has such a small team, considering the size of the population?!

Pretty spectacular stuff this opening ceremony! :)

harsha
8th August 2008, 17:29
How come India has such a small team, considering the size of the population?!

Pretty spectacular stuff this opening ceremony! :)

welcome to the club :D

Roamy
8th August 2008, 18:06

AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE!

It was a protest post - I learned this from EKI - enjoy your games!!!

Hazell B
8th August 2008, 19:23
I learned this from EKI

Uncle Eki teaches so much to so many ;)

The Games are the only time I ever see diving on TV and I look forward to that one sport very much.

The pundits are claiming the equestrian medals are probably ours for the taking - but they aren't. In fact, I predict a very poor show from most of our best chances this time. Not their faults, just they'll be beaten on the day by better prepared sportsmen and women.

jim mcglinchey
8th August 2008, 19:44
Why does the UK big its sportsmen up so much? Its the same at World Cup time. " We're going to win it this year..! " So this is the best squad ever and theyre sure to win lots of medals. I hope they do, but we will see.

Valve Bounce
9th August 2008, 00:29
Why does the UK big its sportsmen up so much? Its the same at World Cup time. " We're going to win it this year..! " So this is the best squad ever and theyre sure to win lots of medals. I hope they do, but we will see.

They've been listening to bunsen, DC, James Allen, Martin Brundle, etc., etc.

Drew
9th August 2008, 02:52

Because 1) We have many good chances to win alot of medals and 2) if they didn't they be unpatriotic. I'm pretty sure almost every country bigs themselves up, so what's the problem? :confused:

Valve Bounce
9th August 2008, 03:10
Great opening ceremony - most impressive. :up:

Norwegian Blue
9th August 2008, 10:34
Spain takes their first gold with Sanchez, great bike race!

pino
9th August 2008, 11:19

Congrats to Spain, defenitelly this is a golden year for them :up: Happy for Italy's silver anyway :D

Ranger
9th August 2008, 11:31

Yep, was pretty hooked on the road race for the last 1-2 hours. Good stuff. :up:

Spain also has Rafael Nadal becoming World #1, displacing Federer after some 200+ consecutive weeks at the top. Tennis finals should be the goods regardless. I'm not sure if theres any other events that would capture my attention for 2+ hours though.

Azumanga Davo
9th August 2008, 11:37
Great opening ceremony - most impressive. :up:

No wonder they need so much resources like gas, look at the size of that torch. :eek: Golly gee, the meter must be spinning out of control. :p :

Simmi
9th August 2008, 13:20
Well it's the first time I've seen Sharon Davies in 4 years. I probably still would! :p :

dc10
9th August 2008, 13:30
Another Olympics fan here!
Fantastic opening ceremony - especially the lighting of the torch - wow!
London will struggle to cap that.
Big fan of equestrian events, particularly show jumping, track and field events, rowing, cycling, ball games. In fact I enjoy most of the sports.

janneppi
9th August 2008, 17:33
Men's road race was good, especially when looking at the last three hours when they actually tried anything. Cancellara's rise was amazing, he could have maybe won it if he'd jump away from the third group earlier.

Norwegian Blue
9th August 2008, 23:48
I just can't beleive how long it was over 6 hours of riding! I was praying for Cancellara, my favourite along with Valverde and Schleck, but he just left his final attack a wee bit too late!

ShiftingGears
10th August 2008, 04:45
Road race was tops :up:

Norwegian Blue
10th August 2008, 11:51
As was the girls, well done to Nicole Cook, i didn't think she was gonna get that for a while there!

pino
10th August 2008, 20:14
First gold medal for Italy :up: and another excellent performance by our football squad (3-0 vs North Corea) If Brazil wants the title they must beat us first :p :

Storm
11th August 2008, 05:59
First gold medal to India..... :D

10m rifle shooting, Abhinav Bindra took it...great, 1st individual gold ever I think and last gold we won was hockey in '80 :o

I did watch a bit of boxing and badminton and the cycle race for a few mins too....infact watched more of Beijing already than I watched Athens.

AndyRAC
11th August 2008, 08:31
I just can't beleive how long it was over 6 hours of riding! I was praying for Cancellara, my favourite along with Valverde and Schleck, but he just left his final attack a wee bit too late!

What a race - Sastre riding as a 'super-domestique', Andy Schleck making a break with Rebellin and Sanchez, being caught by Rogers (what a comeback) and Kolobnev - then Cancellara coming out of nowere - hope that hasn't cost him in the ITT.
In the end a good result for CSC-Saxobank - 4th, 5th, 6th, but the glory goes to Sanchez, Euskadei-Euskatel, oh and Spain.

ioan
11th August 2008, 12:08
The IOC should send the Russian home.
There is no place in the games for a country that goes to war during the Olympic games. :(

Simmi
11th August 2008, 12:19
Shame to see Murray get dumped out of the tennis in the first round. He played Yen-Hsun Lu of Chinese Tapei who played like a machine despite being fairly low down the world rankings.

It looks like the busy schedule of the past few weeks and first Masters success has maybe caught up with Andy.

Valve Bounce
11th August 2008, 12:31
The horse jumps is taking place in Beas River (the Jockey Country Club facility) in Hong Kong. It is nice to see Hong Kong get to hold part of the Olympics.

Garry Walker
11th August 2008, 14:40
There is no place in the games for a country that goes to war during the Olympic games. :(

Absolutely.

In ancient times, during olympics, there was peace.

Such a shame that in modern times, we supposedly civilized people cannot behave the way our ancestors did ages ago.

angie1313
11th August 2008, 15:39
Anyone catch that men's 4x100 swimming relay last night??

slinkster
11th August 2008, 16:42
Is anyone else absolutely dreading the thought of how terrible the London olympics is going to be? China's opening ceremony was amazing, tinged with alot of human rights violations but still very very visually appealing. London 2012 will probably be opening with one sad, deseprate old pop star to a background of diggers and cranes struggling to complete the stadium. I really really hope it isn't a disaster...

Josti
11th August 2008, 19:05
Is anyone else absolutely dreading the thought of how terrible the London olympics is going to be? China's opening ceremony was amazing, tinged with alot of human rights violations but still very very visually appealing. London 2012 will probably be opening with one sad, deseprate old pop star to a background of diggers and cranes struggling to complete the stadium. I really really hope it isn't a disaster...

I thought the olympics is about sports, not an opening ceremony. It was a great watch, and I honestly don't think it can be topped really, but the spectacle should be the sports themselves, that's what it's about.

I'm sure though, London will do a fine job on it.

pino
11th August 2008, 20:58
Anyone catch that men's 4x100 swimming relay last night??

Very exciting race and I was very surprise to see France beaten that way ;) 2 more golds for Italy today and 4th pos overall at the moment :eek:

Josti, I totally agree with you !

Hazell B
11th August 2008, 23:08
Well it's the first time I've seen Sharon Davies in 4 years. I probably still would! :p :

My partner likes here too.
He said he wouldn't, but he would :p :

Valve Bounce
11th August 2008, 23:19

Don't worry, they will have Cliff Richards there!!

gadjo_dilo
12th August 2008, 07:20

Point is that in his madness Saakasvili thought that Russia wouldn't strike back during the olympics. He was wrong.

Ranger
12th August 2008, 10:33
Point is that in his madness Saakasvili thought that Russia wouldn't strike back during the olympics. He was wrong.

That is correct (although it doesn't detract from Russia's actions).

Nonetheless, there is absolutely no point sending either country home.

After these first few days, I'm getting the impression that Australia won't win any gold medals out of the water! :\

Hazell B
12th August 2008, 12:06
Don't worry, they will have Cliff Richards there!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

veeten
12th August 2008, 16:06
hmmm... I take it that you aren't too taken with that choice, eh Hazell?... ;) :p :

watching Croatia v. Serbia in Water Polo, 5-4. A pretty good match. :)

ioan
13th August 2008, 00:08
That is correct (although it doesn't detract from Russia's actions).

Nonetheless, there is absolutely no point sending either country home.

What about the Olympic spirit?!

There is no way to excuse them. :mad:

ioan
13th August 2008, 00:09
Absolutely.

In ancient times, during olympics, there was peace.

Such a shame that in modern times, we supposedly civilized people cannot behave the way our ancestors did ages ago.

You're right!

It's disgusting how people talk about Olympic sports and medals while people are killed in war. :(

jso1985
13th August 2008, 01:03
after watching Judo, fencing and that shooting category where they shoot at freesbees( :crazy: ) they should include other "sports" like dodgeball, tug of war or poker cause I'm really failing to see how some are sports and the others aren't :s

on a better note, quite enjoying so far to watch events I never watch, swimming has been quite exciting quite close races and lots of WR's :up:

Valve Bounce
13th August 2008, 01:43
There had to be some down side after the farce of the super marathon torch relay was submerged in controversy all over the world was replaced by a glorious opening ceremony. Now we find that the fireworks display was computer generated. Then, if that wasn't enough, how about that pretty little girl Lin Miaoke flying around singing with that angelic voice? She was miming it, would you believe. The voice belonged to Yang Peiyi, another Chinese girl who was replaced at the last moment under the instruction of a very highly placed Communist party official because she wasn't pretty enough. http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24172770-2722,00.html

Then to cap it off, Chinese judges gave their shooter at least three hits which were misses, allowing him to win the bronze medal. Even the Chinese spectators stopped cheering and started to murmur.

I had refrained from this comment all the while but now I just wonder: "Why were the games ever awarded to polluted China!" :(

ShiftingGears
13th August 2008, 03:29

As opposed as I am to Russian intervention, let's put this in perspective.

The Olympics is essentially a big sports festival. Not something that is dictated by politics. They are and should be treated as seperate issues.

Let's face it, banning the Russians from the Olympics won't do anything except supply their propaganda machine with a free kick.

Now that'll do a load of good, won't it? The IOC of all bodies making a statement of disapproval to the Russians... It'll sure maintain that 'olympic spirit' too. :\

And whilst we're at it, we may as well exclude the Americans from the Olympics of 1968 to 1976 (and all other allied nations) for Vietnam and all countries who invaded Iraq in 2003 from the 2004 Olympics.

All would be equally pointless.

Ranger
13th August 2008, 03:30

As opposed as I am to Russian intervention, let's put this in perspective.

The Olympics is essentially a big sports festival. Not something that is dictated by politics. They are and should be treated as seperate issues.

Let's face it, banning the Russians from the Olympics won't do anything except supply their propaganda machine with a free kick.

Now that'll do a load of good, won't it? The IOC of all bodies making a statement of disapproval to the Russians... It'll sure maintain that 'olympic spirit' too. :\

And whilst we're at it, we may as well exclude the Americans from the Olympics of 1968 to 1976 (and all other allied nations) for Vietnam and all countries who invaded Iraq in 2003 from the 2004 Olympics.

All would be equally pointless.

gadjo_dilo
13th August 2008, 07:00
You're right!
It's disgusting how people talk about Olympic sports and medals while people are killed in war. :(

And what shall we do then? Turn off the TV and mourn?
Let's stop hipocrisy, even royals, presidents + other top politicians ( Bush and Putin included ) attented the opening ceremony despite China-Tibet issue.
Olympic games are above political misery.

It's not nice to enjoy somebody else's unhappiness but I'm still glad to see USA lost the title at women gymnastics. .laugh: :laugh:

Tomi
13th August 2008, 07:45
Now we find that the fireworks display was computer generated.

just of curiosity, how do they normally generate thiskind of fireworks if not by computer?

Dave B
13th August 2008, 10:43
I'm not normally a big lover of sport but so far I've been bowled over by the Olympics, thanks in no small part to the utterly amazing TV coverage which lets you pretty much pick and choose what to watch. I want HD!!

It's great that by and large the Brits can hold their heads up high, ok so we may not be setting the medal table alight but we're certainly not disgracing ourselves. Tom Daley may be getting flack for coming last in the diving but let's not forget that only 8 pairs in the world made that final - he'll have a great 2012.

I'm captivated by Michael Phelps - he could well go down as the greatest Olympian in history. He's already bagged a record 10th gold and is on track to beat Mark Spitz's record of 7 golds in one Olympics. He's been simply breathtaking to watch.

Valve Bounce
13th August 2008, 11:16
just of curiosity, how do they normally generate this kind of fireworks if not by computer?

Well, they normally fire the real fireworks into the air.

What you saw on the telly was not the real thing - it was a computer generated image - just like Star Wars.

Going back on my previous post, I really feel for that poor girl who was pulled from the event at the last minute and have some other girl mime her song and perform in the ceremony instead. How that poor girl cried herself to sleep that night. :(

Valve Bounce
13th August 2008, 11:19
I'm captivated by Michael Phelps - he could well go down as the greatest Olympian in history. .

He already is the greatest Olympian in history - he has won more medals than any other athlete in the Olympics, and there's more to come.

Dave B
13th August 2008, 13:14
He already is the greatest Olympian in history - he has won more medals than any other athlete in the Olympics, and there's more to come.
In purely statistical terms you are of course correct. But I believe that "greatness" is also a measure of how you go about winning, and how you inspire others. That said, I reckon Phelps is 99.9% there already. :)

Valve Bounce
13th August 2008, 14:21
You've got me there; my slide rule won't get more accurate than 99.9%. :(

555-04Q2
13th August 2008, 15:32
Man we arent doing too well so far. No medals at all :(

ioan
13th August 2008, 22:38
There had to be some down side after the farce of the super marathon torch relay was submerged in controversy all over the world was replaced by a glorious opening ceremony. Now we find that the fireworks display was computer generated. Then, if that wasn't enough, how about that pretty little girl Lin Miaoke flying around singing with that angelic voice? She was miming it, would you believe. The voice belonged to Yang Peiyi, another Chinese girl who was replaced at the last moment under the instruction of a very highly placed Communist party official because she wasn't pretty enough. http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24172770-2722,00.html

Then to cap it off, Chinese judges gave their shooter at least three hits which were misses, allowing him to win the bronze medal. Even the Chinese spectators stopped cheering and started to murmur.

I had refrained from this comment all the while but now I just wonder: "Why were the games ever awarded to polluted China!" :(

Are you kidding me?!

There is a bloody war started during the Olympic games, and you are crying about the fact that some of the fireworks were computer generated? Or about the fact that they chose to use a prettier little girl for the ceremony?

What's all this nonsense?! :mad:

A.F.F.
13th August 2008, 23:24

Well, this is a thread for the olympics. There's a thread for war under the title "war" in case you missed it.

Tomi
13th August 2008, 23:36
Well, they normally fire the real fireworks into the air. What you saw on the telly was not the real thing (

Ahaa ok, i did not watch the opening ceremony, i was just thinking that nowdays all bigger fireworks and other pyro technics is nowdays computer controlled.

Valve Bounce
13th August 2008, 23:56
Are you kidding me?!

There is a bloody war started during the Olympic games, and you are crying about the fact that some of the fireworks were computer generated? Or about the fact that they chose to use a prettier little girl for the ceremony?

Listen ioan!! At the risk of getting another warning or even being banned, may I very politely ask you why you are posting on this Olympic thread.

If you are greatly disturbed about the fighting and killing in Georgia, then why don't you start a thread about that? I would like to point out that if we all adopt your mindset, which I admit is very noble, then there is no point discussing anything else here: mobile phones, football, computers, music, bunsen, Ferrari or even Kimi.

There is a time and place for everything, and this thread, which I started, is about the Olympics.

If you don't like what we are discussing, then start your own thread about something else.

Valve Bounce
13th August 2008, 23:59
Ahaa ok, i did not watch the opening ceremony, i was just thinking that nowdays all bigger fireworks and other pyro technics is nowdays computer controlled.

Hell no!! I used to live in Hong Kong mid-levels with a spendid view of the Harbour, and we used to get wonderful fireworks on Chinese New Year which I watched from my verandah. :up:

And I just found out that the torch relay climb to Mt Everest was also fake. Damn!! :(

Tomi
14th August 2008, 00:23
Hell no!! I used to live in Hong Kong mid-levels with a spendid view of the Harbour, and we used to get wonderful fireworks on Chinese New Year which I watched from my verandah. :up:

And I just found out that the torch relay climb to Mt Everest was also fake. Damn!! :(

I know several crews who was aiming to climb everest was noticed very late they are not allowed to climb because of the olympics, very late means about 1 week before, about 1 years work in the drain just like that.
btw. what kind of place is Hong Kong, would you recommend to visit?
A climb torch relay to everest sounds a little like Mao's swimming trips, not so easy to belive.

Valve Bounce
14th August 2008, 02:11
btw. what kind of place is Hong Kong, would you recommend to visit?

Most of the spring, summer and autumn months are warm and humid. If you like sailing and you are a member of a recognised yacht club in Finland, you should be able to go to the Royal Hong Kong Yacht Club and get reciprocal rights, and on Saturdays, put your name down on the crew's wanted board and get to sail in the harbour.

Good shopping across the border (by train) in Shenzen.
Good nightclubbing for the young at heart.
If you want to party, and can get tickets to get into the stadium, then The Hong Kong Rugby Sevens is a must - 3 day party, and if you are not too drunk, you get to see some Rugby Guys running up and down the field. It's traditional to cheer for Fiji for the event.

gloomyDAY
14th August 2008, 06:29
Tough... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKI79stWL64)

I had a similar injury when I wrestled, but not as severe.
Took 1 year for me to fully recover.

His elbow is dislocated, but none of his bones are broken.

gloomyDAY
14th August 2008, 08:15
WTF is this $h!t all about?! (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/olympics/2540221/Spanish-basketball-red-faced-over-slit-eyed-Olympic-photo.html)

Donney
14th August 2008, 10:24
A bored journalist.... I guess

Storm
14th August 2008, 11:02
Donney, http://www.elpais.com/articulo/deportes/gesto/racismo/elpepudep/20080814elpepidep_19/Tes

On this story the Federation guy says that the message was 'nosotros también nos sentimos chinos' :)

Its the classic case of where they probably meant one thing and its being taken to be the opposite...

Donney
14th August 2008, 17:39
Exactly, they didn't mean anything insulting but I guess some people are just waiting to find offense anywhere.

Drew
14th August 2008, 18:24
Oh dear, yet more allegations of racism for Spanish sport :confused:

veeten
15th August 2008, 01:13
http://www.nbcolympics.com/wrestling/news/newsid=214295.html?_source=rss&cid=

:\ geez, don't have a cow, man...

a poor sport. :p :

A.F.F.
15th August 2008, 11:47

**** the bronze !!! That's great, at last somebody who really shows how he feels :up:

Storm
15th August 2008, 12:20
Federer lost in the singles but took it out on our own Indian Express (Paes & Bhupathi) who are out of the doubles at the QF stage :s

veeten
15th August 2008, 12:54
is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that Federer looks to have lost it somewhat recently. :s

I think that match with Nadal may have broke his confidence. Way too many unforced errors by Rodger during that Olympic match with Blake, but he has been looking rather shakey in other tourneys since Wimbledon.

Daniel
15th August 2008, 12:56
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/olympics/2559578/Beijing-Olympics-Second-Spanish-team-photographed-making-slit-eyed-gesture.html

:uhoh: Perhaps not the smartest thing to post on your site....

ShiftingGears
15th August 2008, 13:28
What were they thinking?! :\

Dave B
15th August 2008, 15:12
What were they thinking?! :\

The word "what" is somewhat redundant in that post :erm:

Dr. Krogshöj
15th August 2008, 18:16
http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/536641/2006939

He is our (Hungary) best athlete in Beijing so far. He also said: “It’s not a shame to be beaten by the best man. What makes him the best is his endurance. He can swim so many races.”

Drew
15th August 2008, 20:36
Yeah poor Cseh, essentially he'd be Michael Phelps, if Michael Phelps wasn't there...

jens
16th August 2008, 16:52
Finally a medal for Estonia too - silver in the double sculls in rowing!! :D One rower Jüri Jaanson is already 42 years old - amazing sportsman!

9,69 in mens' 100m final after taking the last quarter of the distance easily - wow! I really hope the same thing won't happen as 20 years ago, when Mr Ben managed amazing 9,79 after slowing down in the last meters and the world was amazed for a couple of days... to become even more amazed.

Generally about the olympics - the Asian states have been doing well. Not only China, but also Japan and South-Korea have collected a nice amount of medals. Of course some traditional Asian disciplines have been included in the programme too. Like F1 - the calendar is enlarging with Asian races. Which shows clearly the future of the World lies in Asia, who have a lot of potential (having clearly more inhabitants than any other continent) and they shouldn't be underestimated.

About Olympic Games itself. What I don't like about it is that there are too many disciplines, which devalue an olympic achievement. For example in rowing and shooting there can well be just half of the disciplines we have at the moment.

janneppi
16th August 2008, 17:24
9,69 in mens' 100m final after taking the last quarter of the distance easily - wow! I really hope the same thing won't happen as 20 years ago, when Mr Ben managed amazing 9,79 after slowing down in the last meters and the world was amazed for a couple of days... to become even more amazed.
He made it look really easy, and about the tests, I'm confidend, the top guys have the latest drugs so they won't get caught. ;)

I do have a bet going on about the mens shot put final, If there are no positive tests, I'll eat a vegetarian meal. :D

About Olympic Games itself. What I don't like about it is that there are too many disciplines, which devalue an olympic achievement. For example in rowing and shooting there can well be just half of the disciplines we have at the moment.Yeah, you could trim some excess fat from the games, rowing, shooting, running, track cycling, espeially the men's side.

I watched fencing few days ago, I almost fell to the floor laughing after seeing the competitors helmet light up after a hit, there were small lights on the sides and front of the helmet. :p :

We Finns have had pretty normal games, two very positive surprises from our shooting group and the normal let downs from the usual suspects, still, javeling throw is yet to come and the nations athletics reputation hangs on the shoulders of one man, would hate to be in his shoes. Anything but a gold will be a disappointment.

Valve Bounce
17th August 2008, 00:52
Jest a thought there about shoes: I wonder whether athletes can have some technology in the shoes that would make them run faster! I mean if you had some sort of powder that makes your feet feel as if there were ants in your shoes............ :p :

Garry Walker
17th August 2008, 13:19
Exactly, they didn't mean anything insulting but I guess some people are just waiting to find offense anywhere.

Its a case of people getting offended over a nothing issue. Typical.

What about that Phelps guy? Isn`t that one of the most amazing sporting achievements ever? I am glad to have witnessed it, one for the ages.

Garry Walker
17th August 2008, 13:25
I have to add that I find extremely funny those conpiracy theories about the phelps finish in 100 butterfly against the Serbian in some quarters and how it was rigged, as some people (imbeciles) say.

jso1985
17th August 2008, 21:56
Generally about the olympics - the Asian states have been doing well. Not only China, but also Japan and South-Korea have collected a nice amount of medals. Of course some traditional Asian disciplines have been included in the programme too. Like F1 - the calendar is enlarging with Asian races. Which shows clearly the future of the World lies in Asia, who have a lot of potential (having clearly more inhabitants than any other continent) and they shouldn't be underestimated.

The only new disciplines on this games are BMX racing and open-water swimmming, which I don't regard as much "Asian".
But certainly Asian athletes are doing pretty good there, porbably cause all of them feel like it's their "home" games.

About Olympic Games itself. What I don't like about it is that there are too many disciplines, which devalue an olympic achievement. For example in rowing and shooting there can well be just half of the disciplines we have at the moment.

Plus I don't see how Judo or shooting(or throwing) freesbees can be considered sports at all!

gloomyDAY
17th August 2008, 23:17
I'm watching women's indoor volleyball.
When I'm older (27 or so) I will marry a 6 foot tall Polish woman.

http://www.reprezentacja.net/gallery/84/enlarge/f81b819ef192793a0dc5e0e2fec05fdd.jpg

gloomyDAY
17th August 2008, 23:22
Damn, I love women! (http://worldsfinestathletes.wordpress.com/)

AJP
17th August 2008, 23:32

what a moron....
show some class and at least stay on the podium, but no...I want all the attention...

AJP
17th August 2008, 23:33
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/olympics/2559578/Beijing-Olympics-Second-Spanish-team-photographed-making-slit-eyed-gesture.html

:uhoh: Perhaps not the smartest thing to post on your site....

oh dear....

AJP
17th August 2008, 23:34

http://www.reprezentacja.net/gallery/84/enlarge/f81b819ef192793a0dc5e0e2fec05fdd.jpg

wowza...!!!

women's beach volleyball has been great to watch as well....

ioan
18th August 2008, 13:40

Good choice! :D ;)

Daniel
18th August 2008, 14:15

I'm off to Poland on Wednesday. I'll see what I can do for you :)

ioan
18th August 2008, 14:49
I'm off to Poland on Wednesday. I'll see what I can do for you :)

I've been there for the first time last month. You'll be amazed! ;)

veeten
18th August 2008, 16:08
nah, I've seen better... ;) :p :

Drew
18th August 2008, 18:54
GloomyDay, what a stunner! There was a woman at the starting ceremony who had the olympic rings on her face, she's my choice :D

jens
20th August 2008, 14:57
Yay, a gold medal for Estonia in discus! :D

janneppi
20th August 2008, 17:46
Quite amazing run from Bolt in the 200 final, no one could get near him.

veeten
21st August 2008, 01:30
Yay, a gold medal for Estonia in discus! :D

but I thought Discus was deadus...

(rimshot) :p :

Valve Bounce
21st August 2008, 02:55
While not wanting to throw a damp rag on the Olympics, I do recall several athletes stating that they will be competing against drug cheats. I know a stack of Russians were caught before the Games even began and were thrown out, as were some Greeks who could buy steroids directly online. Then there were revelations by a reporter who masqueraded as an athlete that he could buy drugs openly from clinics in Beijing.

I know that Marion Jones never tested positive despite the fact that she finally admitted she performed with the benefit of drugs throughout her career.

So, how long before testing catches up with some of the drugs taken? Will some drugs never be detected? WADA are storing urine and blood samples taken for a period of ten years. It remains how long before testing will advance to the stage where some drugs taken today will eventually be detected.

I am firmly of the belief that once an athlete has been caught taking drugs, or been caught avoiding tests three times, then they should be banned for life. There should be no incentive (like being banned for 6 months or twelve months) for any athletes to take drugs and think they can either get away with it or be leniently treated to compete again later.

Storm
21st August 2008, 07:38
Ban for Life is the only way to go for drug cheats.....I am amazed that the Pakistani bowler Asif caught doping for the second time now is only facing a 2 yr ban...thats ICC and Pak board for you :s

Finally we won another medal after the shooting gold..a bronze in 66kg Wrestling. Also on target for another medal as Vijender Kumar is in the semis of 75kg Boxing!

No medals from the tennis team though and a near miss by the 18 yr old Saina Nehwal who lost in the quarters of badminton.
Its sad that we are scraping the barrel for medals but then thats how its going to be when the only sport considered "worth" playing by most parents is all pervading Cricket :(

harsha
21st August 2008, 08:33
http://www.redbolivia.com/images/sociales/194/

Leryn Franco \m/

a Paraguayan Javelin Thrower

jso1985
21st August 2008, 19:47
proudly brought to you by a Bolivian website :p

She's certainly quite hot, but sure another case of a publicity stunt by the Paraguayan NOC, I mean... her best throw was like 35 mts or something while the winners were doing 65!.

as for Bolivia, all over now, all 7 athetes have failed(as expected) but our hopes of a decent result were actually the worst ones, Cesar Menacho finished with a score of 105 in shooting trap while his best record was 120 which should have put him in the finals and Fadrique Iglesias did the 800 mts in athletics in 50.43 seconds, 2 secons behind his personal best which should have also put him on the second round....
that's whate we get for only supporting and giving some money to football, which in turn we can't even play it properly :down:

ioan
21st August 2008, 20:01
So, how long before testing catches up with some of the drugs taken? Will some drugs never be detected? WADA are storing urine and blood samples taken for a period of ten years. It remains how long before testing will advance to the stage where some drugs taken today will eventually be detected.

Never!
How should you test for something you don't know?!
It will always take time to find out about a new drug and then develop an effective testing method for it.

Ofcourse, they should threaten them with a post discovery lifetime ban. But I guess this isn't in the best interest of the "sport". :\

ioan
21st August 2008, 20:11
proudly brought to you by a Bolivian website :p

She's certainly quite hot, but sure another case of a publicity stunt by the Paraguayan NOC, I mean... her best throw was like 35 mts or something while the winners were doing 65!.

In fact she threw 45.34 meters and did better than the Bulgarian athlete! :D

Drew
21st August 2008, 20:14
Forgive my ignorance but I've seen alot of officials walking around with clipboards and then asking the atheletes to sign, what exactly are they signing?

Dave B
21st August 2008, 20:32
I see there are allegation that He Kexin, who let's be honest looks about 13, may not in fact be the sixteen year old she claims to be.

The blogger first simply tried Google, only to find that an official listing by the Chinese sports administration that had given her age could no longer be accessed. Next he tried the Google cache, only to find that Ms He’s name had been removed.

So then he tried the cache of Chinese search engine Baidu. There, he found that Baidu lists two spreadsheets in Ms He's name, both giving her date of birth as January 1, 1994 – making her 14 years and 220 days old and too young to compete at these Olympics.

Just nine months before the Olympics, the Chinese government’s Xinhua news agency gave Ms He’s name as 13. Officials have since dismissed that report saying Xinhua had never been given her age and had made a mistake.

Source: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/olympics/article4578241.ece

ioan
21st August 2008, 21:11
Few of the Chinese gymnasts look like if they are 16 years old.
I honestly thought that some of them are not even 10.

Wasn't it a Chinese gymnast that was discovered no to have the minimum age to be allowed to compete a few years ago?! Or was that in ice skating?

janneppi
21st August 2008, 21:35
I am firmly of the belief that once an athlete has been caught taking drugs, or been caught avoiding tests three times, then they should be banned for life. There should be no incentive (like being banned for 6 months or twelve months) for any athletes to take drugs and think they can either get away with it or be leniently treated to compete again later.
It might work on some, but certainly not in every case, IMO one of the positive athletes in these games was on her second chance, and will most likely receive life long ban. They don't expect to get in the first place, so a life long ban isn't really what they're thinking when they use banned substances.

I do think that a second chance can work on some atheletes, especially young ones who might get some sense into what they wan't to do with their lives.

gloomyDAY
22nd August 2008, 05:19
What about allowing the use of performance substances?

Even Stevens...

ioan
22nd August 2008, 07:21
It's too dangerous, some people died in the past because they went too far.

ShiftingGears
22nd August 2008, 07:42
What about allowing the use of performance substances?

Even Stevens...

Well to start...

The list is fairly long but here are the most common side effects:

sodium retention, acne, gynecomastia, aggression, hypertension, cardiovascular disease, palpitations, enlarged heart, virilization, cancer, decreased blood clotting ability, headaches, anxiety, depression, impotence, stomach aches, jaundice, muscle tears, enlarged prostate, premature hair loss, stunted growth, immune system suppression, insomnia, sterility, and anaphylactic shock.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/steroids.htm

Lousada
22nd August 2008, 08:00

They don't even test for 3rd generation epo. This is what those caught cyclists in the tour de france were taking. So you can make an asterix to all endurance sports to begin with.

ioan
22nd August 2008, 09:56
Can't believe it:

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/gymnastics/news?slug=ap-gym-underagechinese&prov=ap&type=lgns

Last year she wasn't even 14, now she is 16 only because her Chinese passport says so. :rolleyes:

And shame on all those who did it previously too.

gadjo_dilo
22nd August 2008, 10:16
It's our worst olympic adventure. I can't believe we have only 8 medals: 4 gold, 1 silver, 3 bronze.

gloomyDAY
22nd August 2008, 10:45
USA just beat Russia in men's volleyball.

What a great game! Back and forth every point until the very end.

gloomyDAY
22nd August 2008, 10:45
It's our worst olympic adventure. I can't believe we have only 8 medals: 4 gold, 1 silver, 3 bronze.Where are you from?

gadjo_dilo
22nd August 2008, 10:49
Where are you from?
Romania

22nd August 2008, 11:35
How about the BMX riders! They were fantastic, I really enjoyed watching them and it's not a sport I have taken much notice of in the past.

Valve Bounce
22nd August 2008, 11:59
Here it is, for those who think that the Olympics are supposed to be beyond politics: http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24221769-16143,00.html
Fang Zhen is not permitted to compete in the olympics. WHY?
Because he was in a "vehicle accident" and both his legs were amputated. This is a Chinese Government Order.
Here is the interesting part: Fang, you see, got caught up in the Tiananmen Square protests. While fleeing soldiers, who were throwing hand grenades at the protesters, he paused to help a female student. In that moment, he became entangled with a tank which dragged him along and crushed his legs.

If this has not bored you to tears, then you might be tempted to read the story I have linked above.

I have never understood why China was ever awarded the Olympics, because of its appalling Human Rights record, but this really makes me sick to the core.

I have never wanted to visit China, and I guess this is my answer.

harsha
22nd August 2008, 12:21
for people who think getting 4 gold,1 silver and 3 bronze qualifies as a bad olympics...India's celebrating her best ever olympics..1 gold and 2 bronzes

:rolleyes: :D

ioan
22nd August 2008, 12:26
for people who think getting 4 gold,1 silver and 3 bronze qualifies as a bad olympics...India's celebrating her best ever olympics..1 gold and 2 bronzes

:rolleyes: :D

We were used to get much more. Just take a look to 4 years ago.

ioan
22nd August 2008, 12:27
Here it is, for those who think that the Olympics are supposed to be beyond politics: http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24221769-16143,00.html
Fang Zhen is not permitted to compete in the olympics. WHY?
Because he was in a "vehicle accident" and both his legs were amputated. This is a Chinese Government Order.
Here is the interesting part: Fang, you see, got caught up in the Tiananmen Square protests. While fleeing soldiers, who were throwing hand grenades at the protesters, he paused to help a female student. In that moment, he became entangled with a tank which dragged him along and crushed his legs.

If this has not bored you to tears, then you might be tempted to read the story I have linked above.

I have never understood why China was ever awarded the Olympics, because of its appalling Human Rights record, but this really makes me sick to the core.

I have never wanted to visit China, and I guess this is my answer.

Cheer up, in 6 years time it's Russia's turn!

Drew
22nd August 2008, 16:35
Cheer up, in 6 years time it's Russia's turn!

In 4 years time it's the UK :eek:

Anyway, the olympics were held in Nazi Germany and Soviet Russia, it's not like it's always been decided on politics.

Roamy
22nd August 2008, 16:40
these games have turned into a farce. Everyone lying and cheating just goes to show you what kind of world we are living in. As far as I am concerned they can cancel all the olympics. Or just make it everything goes. Coke up Pump up what ever your heart desires. Lets see a 8 second hundred meter and then the guy blows up. Or maybe we can have the terrorist olympics. If you don't win a medal they put you in the middle of the field and blow you up.
All of this drug testing because the athletes are unethical lying cheaters. And we spend billions to build stadiums and buy tickets to see them. What a joke. I like the old days where Hollywood Henderson would carry the coke in his pocket and snort in the huddle. At least he was honest!! And then over here we imprison some poor girl for getting 100 bucks for a F____!

jso1985
22nd August 2008, 19:13
on less stressful news...

did anyone saw both male and female US athletics 100mts relay teams? :p :crazy:

harsha
23rd August 2008, 04:22
Lightning Bolt strikes

orangatuang
23rd August 2008, 11:12
All together i think it has been an great games.. loved the swimming most and the horse events..

gloomyDAY
23rd August 2008, 16:32
on less stressful news...

did anyone saw both male and female US athletics 100mts relay teams? :p :crazy: Both teams turned it around.

Gold in 4x400m relay!

gloomyDAY
23rd August 2008, 19:39
I've never seen such poor sportsmanship at the Olympics.

This is typical of those apes in the UFC, but not here.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/taekwondo/news/newsid=251304.html#kicked+out+cuban+banned+outburs t

Daniel
23rd August 2008, 19:45
I agree with Fousto. It's a load of crap

BDunnell
23rd August 2008, 19:49
I've rather enjoyed it, despite the human rights record of the place where it's being held and the downright scary opening ceremony. But I concede that my view is largely down to the excellent British performances which have rather captured the imagination here.

gloomyDAY
23rd August 2008, 21:19
I've never seen such poor sportsmanship at the Olympics.

This is typical of those apes in the UFC, but not here.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/taekwondo/news/newsid=251304.html#kicked+out+cuban+banned+outburs t

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44953000/jpg/_44953459_matos_big_gi.jpg

Valve Bounce
23rd August 2008, 23:40
I've rather enjoyed it, despite the human rights record of the place where it's being held and the downright scary opening ceremony. But I concede that my view is largely down to the excellent British performances which have rather captured the imagination here.

Yeah!! especially when they counted the efforts of the Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish. I just wonder why they didn't add the medals of Rhodesia.

Drew
23rd August 2008, 23:44
Yeah!! especially when they counted the efforts of the Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish. I just wonder why they didn't add the medals of Rhodesia.

Still bitter? Oh well, now you know how it tastes!

Valve Bounce
24th August 2008, 03:38

Yeah!! whitewashed in the last test series here. How sweet it is!! :up:

ShiftingGears
24th August 2008, 07:52

Pathetic. I hope he gets charged.

gloomyDAY
24th August 2008, 09:18
The gold medal for basketball is back where it belongs:

USA!

Dave B
24th August 2008, 10:12

Just been watching the video on the BBC site (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympics/taekwondo/7578828.stm) : utterly disgraceful behaviour even if the referee was being a tad officious. He's been given a lifetime ban but AFAIK no further charges have been made. :\

Dr. Krogshöj
24th August 2008, 11:06

Is that legal under Chinese law? Why wasn't he charged with assault?

veeten
24th August 2008, 18:57

this Olympic moment is sponsored by Johnson's Medicated Foot Powder.

:p :

Dr. Krogshöj
24th August 2008, 20:11
Results wice, it's been the words Summer Games for Hungary since 1924. But we scored ten medals (3 gold, 5 silver, 2 bronze) and I am really happy for our athletes.

Especially the Canoeing pair of Gyorgy Kozmann and Tamas Kiss. Originally Gyorgy Kolonics was supposed to be in the boat. But he tragically died during training one month before the Games. Kozmann originally wanted to withdraw but he recuperated and won bronze medal with his new partner after a few weeks of trainging together. That was like a gold medal fore everone here.

Also kudos to Laszlo Cseh who won three silvers behind Michael Phelps and the water polo team that scored its third straight Olympic title after beating the geat U.S. team.

rah
24th August 2008, 23:30
I think it was a good games. So long as you only look at the sport anyway. I think China did really well to not only knock USA of the top spot, but to completely dominate everyone. It was also good to see the UK pulling their finger out. Should be going really well in 4 years time.

Drew
25th August 2008, 01:11
Well done Beijing, I was impressed by what they did. Now it's London's time and hopefully it won't be embarassing as many are hoping.

I saw this and had to post it :)
http://stuff.thdesign.be/forum/varia/OS.html

gloomyDAY
25th August 2008, 01:16
I think it was a good games. So long as you only look at the sport anyway. I think China did really well to not only knock USA of the top spot, but to completely dominate everyone. It was also good to see the UK pulling their finger out. Should be going really well in 4 years time.USA has 10 more medals.

In terms of quality over quantity, China won.

Drew
25th August 2008, 01:19
China won 15 more Gold medals than the USA, that's all that really counts, nobody rememebers 2nd or 3rd

ozrevhead
25th August 2008, 01:24
Bitter about what? 1 Olympics compared to the 50 odd years we have been kicking English Ass???

You have 3x the Populas that Australia has and yet you only can get us at only one Olympics? Go ahead and celebrate all you want - I'll even bring the food over!

Thats really somthing to be bitter about :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

ozrevhead
25th August 2008, 01:26
Ok well I enjoyed the Olympics and I thought Id share my top 6 - Im doing an Aussie and oversease one

Oversease - forgive me if I cant remember/mispell names

Bolt - enough said[/*:m:4jkf9ygm]
Bekele 5000, 10000 double[/*:m:4jkf9ygm]
Georgia def Russia in the Mens Beach Volleyball first round (oh the irony)[/*:m:4jkf9ygm]
I feel like a fool for not remembering the names of the next two.... :D

The Italian lady who one her 3rd straight Fencing Gold Medal[/*:m:4jkf9ygm]
And the German weightlifter who won the gold medal after his wife was killed in a car accident about a year ago[/*:m:4jkf9ygm]
Fabian Cancellara's Win and Silver in the Road Race and TT[/*:m:4jkf9ygm] Aussies

Anna Mears - What courage!![/*:m:4jkf9ygm]
Steve Hooker - that was nailbiting[/*:m:4jkf9ygm]
Mathew Mitcham - that was the best dive ive seen in an Olympics[/*:m:4jkf9ygm]
Sally Mclellen - she may of won silver but her reaction was GOLD :)[/*:m:4jkf9ygm]
Jarred Tallent - first Aussie male athlete to win duel athletics medals[/*:m:4jkf9ygm]
Emma Snowsill in the Triathon - she's been through alot to get to this point[/*:m:4jkf9ygm]

ozrevhead
25th August 2008, 01:53
Well since I cant edit anymore Id make another post.....

Just to let everyone know (and a plee to keep this thread as a sticky for a little while longer) that the 6th of September is the start of the Paralympic games

These guys and girls deserve all the support we can give thme

ozrevhead
26th August 2008, 13:47
This is from the International Paralympic Committee Website about the origines and Games itself

The name derives from the Greek "para" ("beside" or "alongside") and thus refers to a competition held in parallel with the Olympic Games. No relation with paralysis or paraplegia is intended, though the word Paralympic was originally a portmanteau combining 'paraplegic' and 'Olympic'.

Here is a link with Info about the IPC
http://www.paralympic.org/release/Main_Sections_Menu/IPC/About_the_IPC/

Also some more links for everyone...
Information on the Sports (http://www.paralympic.org/release/Summer_Sports/)

Offical Beijing Paralympic Website (http://en.paralympic.beijing2008.cn/)

Schedual for the games (http://en.paralympic.beijing2008.cn/schedules/index.shtml)

My favorite sports are the Wheelchair Rugby, Wheelchair Basketball (both sports are willing) Swimming, Athletics and the 5 & 7 Aside Football

jens
27th August 2008, 09:30
In terms of population vs medal count, Jamaica may be the best country of the Olympics! I have wondered, what makes those tiny Caribbean states so successful in running? :p :

stevie_gerrard
27th August 2008, 18:43
I think this was a record breaking olympics, some fantastic action, and a super olympics for GB :) sure, a lot of funding has got them there, but thats what you need to be successful, the support behind you.

My Highlights: Bolt 100m, 200m, 4x100m, he is a machine :eek: No way is he human. He was simply immense and all that showboating may have spoilt it a bit but it put a bit of fun back into sprinting, which certainly needed it.
Phelps: 8 Golds, 7 World Records, i know people say Bolts mission was tougher, but you have to say that this man is such a gentleman and he has proven to be the michael schumacher of swimming. Brilliant to watch, and some real nailbiting finishes!

British performances of note: Chris Hoy winning 3 golds at the same games, Ben Ainslie, a third consecutive olympic gold medal, Those two are my favourites for Sport Personality at the end of the year (apart from maybe Hamilton if he wins the WDC). Becky Adlington's acheivement was superb, but i honestly believe Hoy's acheivement was better.

British lowpoints: Kelly Sotherton, thats what you get for not competing in a heptathlon this year, nothing, nada. She really needed the practice and she didnt get it. British sprinters: male ones in particular, women did well to make the final, but the sprinters get so much lottery funding for dropping the baton its unbelieveable. As defending Champions, you got to make the final, especially when USA have already gone out. Very disappointing, especially Pickering, who after all the build-up for him, has really let himself down.

I shall be one who definately watches the paralympics, im a sport nut anyway so i will watch anything, but i admire the bravery of all these people to still come out and put in a spirited effort on and off the track. GB tend to do very well too in the paralympics so i shall look forward to it :)

I'm really looking forward to London 2012, opening ceremony may be a bit naff, but it will be great to see the worlds best in their sporting event all in Great Britain. I will definatrely be trying to get to as many events as possible.

Finally..... what was all this bitterness from the aussies finishing behind us? :p : Cheer up team Oz, its only the olympics, better luck in 4 years! ;)

jso1985
29th August 2008, 03:52
In terms of population vs medal count, Jamaica may be the best country of the Olympics! I have wondered, what makes those tiny Caribbean states so successful in running? :p :

As my friend said "cuz they're busy running from the lions"...

I had to spoil the party and tell him where Jamaica actually is... :mark:

Mark
29th August 2008, 08:55
[quote="stevie_gerrard"]

Even if Hamilton does win this year, I doubt he'd get Sports Personality over the likes of Chris Hoy.

dc10
29th August 2008, 18:13
Well since I cant edit anymore Id make another post.....

Just to let everyone know (and a plee to keep this thread as a sticky for a little while longer) that the 6th of September is the start of the Paralympic games

These guys and girls deserve all the support we can give thme

I will certainly be glued to the TV when I can - I always watch the paralympics - I think the guys who compete are fantastic. Can't wait.

Placid
31st August 2008, 01:27
Another emotional moment was the US volleyball team winning the gold after the coach's father-in-law was killed by an assailant.

and Terry Schroeder's US water polo crew got a silver.

Donney
1st September 2008, 08:02

I'm sure there's a joke hidden here related to ganja....

ioan
1st September 2008, 15:37

What about this?

The Sydney Symphony Orchestra has admitted its stirring performance for the 2000 Olympics was pre-recorded. More galling for Sydneysiders is that parts of the backing tape were recorded by Melbourne Symphony Orchestra – the city's cultural arch-rival.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/olympics/news-and-features/sydney-admits-taping-performance-913297.html

ozrevhead
2nd September 2008, 13:43
I will certainly be glued to the TV when I can - I always watch the paralympics - I think the guys who compete are fantastic. Can't wait.
They should get more respect than they do - not sure about other countries but apart from the Aus Government they rely on donations and dont command sponsorship dollars from coperate Australia :mad: Makes me sick!!

Not sure if posted this before in this thread - too tired to look :p

The name derives from the Greek "para" ("beside" or "alongside") and thus refers to a competition held in parallel with the Olympic Games. No relation with paralysis or paraplegia is intended, though the word Paralympic was originally a portmanteau combining 'paraplegic' and 'Olympic'.This is from the International Paralympic Committee Website

Here is a link with Info about the IPC
http://www.paralympic.org/release/Main_Sections_Menu/IPC/About_the_IPC/

Also some more links for everyone...
Information on the Sports (http://www.paralympic.org/release/Summer_Sports/)

Offical Beijing Paralympic Website (http://en.paralympic.beijing2008.cn/)

Schedual for the games (http://en.paralympic.beijing2008.cn/schedules/index.shtml)

ozrevhead
2nd September 2008, 13:45
Finally..... what was all this bitterness from the aussies finishing behind us? :p : Cheer up team Oz, its only the olympics, better luck in 4 years! ;)
no bitterness - just with 4 countries and 3x the population you should be wiping our ass more often instead of once every 50 odd years. Australia punches above its weight on the sporting stage more often than not

I do however tip the old hat off to your cyclists........Athough I did found it ironic that the most taked up cyclist of the lot in Mat Cavendish was the only Britt to not win a medal

Murphy's Law anyone...

ozrevhead
2nd September 2008, 14:09
As my friend said "cuz they're busy running from the lions"...

I had to spoil the party and tell him where Jamaica actually is... :mark:
spoil sport :p