PDA

View Full Version : What motorsport books do you own?

wedge
6th August 2008, 14:34
I have:

JYS autobiography

Mansell

Schumacher - Edge of Greatness/James Allen

Senna - Hard Edge of Genius/Christopher Hilton (1994 revised edition)

Senna's Principles of Race Driving

Assorted NASCAR reference books and one of those Engineer to Win books.

MrJan
6th August 2008, 17:17
Hillclimbing & Sprinting: The Essential Manual

Epynt

Basically those are the only 2 that I own which I even open the cover of, both a interesting and useful but the Epynt book in particular is amazingly good :up:

Glen 320
6th August 2008, 18:27
While i was in the states the other year i bought Driver number 8 by Dale jr. and DW, Darrell Waltrip's autobiography.
Dale jr's book is ok but Waltrip's is class very funny and informative.
I also bought Chris Walkers autobiography this year and its one of the funniest books i've ever read!

SEATFreak
6th August 2008, 18:45
Schumacher - Edge of Greatness/James Allen

I have:

Michael Schumacher: Driven to Extreme

Eddie Jordan: The Biography

Touring Car World 2007

Touring Cars

jim mcglinchey
6th August 2008, 18:58
Motocourse - The worlds leading Grand Prix & Superbike Annual - every year since 2000, and a few from before then depending on how flush I was feeling that Christmas.

Rallyst3ve
6th August 2008, 19:13
Ive got loads obviously :D :D

Such as Colin McRae's Autobiography 'The Real McRae'

One of the best is the Epynt book. Fantastic photographs throughout and great stories by competitors past and present a real must have.

inimitablestoo
6th August 2008, 19:51
Autocourse from 1989 onwards ("live" from 1993, the rest I've been buying on an occasional basis from Autosport International) plus all the Autocourse Champ Car yearbooks (and the one by Turner Publishing of the 2006 season), the three Autocourse British Motorsport Year books and the two retrospectives (50 years of F1, 20 years of CART)

Various autobiographies, which I should make more time to read: Mansell, Zanardi, Jackie Stewart and the very entertaining Perry McCarthy book "Flat Out Flat Broke"

Steve Small's indispensable Grand Prix Who's Who (even if it was last updated in 1999) and a few other F1 reference tomes, including the Complete Book of F1, which includes a picture of (virtually) every car to have started a Grand Prix

Plus assorted other stuff, including a Daytona 500 book, one or two not-really-for-hardcore-fans things that I was bought as presents, the Mallory Park 40th anniversary book, and Brian Laban's utterly unputdownable book on the Le Mans 24 Hours from a few years ago, which comes thoroughly recommended.

Not that I'm obsessed or anything :D

Storm
7th August 2008, 06:46
I have the F1 encyclopedia (till 2004 season).
I also have Enzo Ferrari's biography, a book about Ferrari roadcars and a very old, tattered and burnt copy of a History of automobike & motorsports which I bought at a low price on a Mumbai street :)

leopard
7th August 2008, 09:27
is it original? :)

I don't have them in particular, just bought good magazine randomly when friends told me that I must buy it.

jens
8th August 2008, 20:27
"Wheel to wheel - the greatest duels of Formula One"

BDunnell
8th August 2008, 21:19
Prized possessions of mine are books from a series of annuals dating from the 1960s called The Grand Prix Year, found some years ago at my grandfather's house. Absolutely tremendous, and they contain some great period writing. They also cover the seasons gone by in other forms of motorsport.

9th August 2008, 05:44
video AOC Gold (http://www.usfine.com/Age-of-Conan-USA-c-151.html) gamers have been seeking assistance Age of Conan Gold (http://www.usfine.com/Age-of-Conan-USA-c-151.html) in playing and conquering the games that they live for. Age of Conan Power Leveling (http://www.usfine.com/Age-of-Conan-US-PL-c-146.html) Many of these items have successfully helped gamers achieve victory, but they cannot help with all games. The easiest way to find is to buy it. Similar to the above mentioned resources, purchasing is a great way for a player to enjoy and Age of Conan PowerLeveling (http://www.usfine.com/Age-of-Conan-US-PL-c-146.html) conquer the game.Runescape Gold (http://www.usfine.com/Runescape-c-68.html)

Garry Walker
9th August 2008, 18:21
Prized possessions of mine are books from a series of annuals dating from the 1960s called The Grand Prix Year, found some years ago at my grandfather's house. Absolutely tremendous, and they contain some great period writing. They also cover the seasons gone by in other forms of motorsport.

Gems you have there. It is surprising how much valueable and good stuff one can find when sorting through the things your grandparents owned!

MrJan
9th August 2008, 18:23
Forgot that I also have Martin Brundle's book; Working the Wheel. INteresting to have a driver/media view of different circuits but wouldn't say it was 'must buy'

BDunnell
9th August 2008, 18:29
Gems you have there. It is surprising how much valueable and good stuff one can find when sorting through the things your grandparents owned!

Indeed — especially if one of them was involved in motorsport himself.

kabouter
13th August 2008, 15:58
BDunnell, those 1960s books look to be great finds. I sure wouldn't mind owning those :D

On racing I have several annuals:
- the Dutch translations of Ulrich Schwab's Grand Prix series (1968-1985 with 1971 and 1982 still missing, unfortunately)
- the Dutch translations of some of Heinz Prüller's Grand Prix Story series (1976-1983 with 1980 missing)
- Dutch annual Rally's & Races (1985-1994, sadly didn't appear afterwards)

Then some books on racing history of which the ones I look into most are:
- Mathieson's Grand Prix Racing 1906-1914 (if you are into early 20th motorsport, in my opinion this is the book you should try to get)
- Cimarosti's The Complete History of Grand Prix Motor Racing
- Boddy's The History of Motor Racing
- Hayhoe and Holland's Grand Prix Databook (the 1994 edition, at the time it was the most wonderful book I had ever seen ;) )

As you can guess from my website my collection of rally books isn't small either, but not nearly large enough. Centerpiece are of course the World Rallying annuals of Martin Holmes. Informative if you are interested in learning a bit more about the history of the sport is Davenport's The Guinness Book of Rallying. Must-have books if you ask me are the large Klein efforts Rally and Rally Cars.

On motorcycle racing I've got the Dutch annuals Grand Prix Wegrace (1967-1984), Wegracekroniek (1985-1991), Het Wegraceboek (1992-2003) and from 2004 I've got Motocourse. I think that when I'm not a student anymore and have a bit more to spend old Motocourses is what I'm going to go after to start with :)