PDA

View Full Version : Craig Jones 1985 - 2008

ChrisS
4th August 2008, 10:05
Jonesy passed away last night after his crash at the supersport race at Brands.

http://www.crash.net/motorsport/wsbk/news/167260-0/craig_jones_loses_fight_for_life.html

RIP. I cant think of anything else to say at the moment

neninja
4th August 2008, 10:20
Sickening news. Likewise lot for words.

uskram
4th August 2008, 10:51
What sad news, a great young rider lost to everyone in his prime!
RIP

gco0307
4th August 2008, 11:38
Sad news indeed and thoughts have to go out to his family, friends, colleagues and fellow competitors for the loss.

Also, my thoughts and best wishes go to Andrew Pitt who was also involved in this tragic incident, one that would not be wished on any person.

A sad day for all involved.

Garry

Wim_Impreza
4th August 2008, 11:58
Very sad news.

Bezza
4th August 2008, 12:32
Saw the accident on Motorsport Weekend on Eurosport, I instantly knew it was very serious but hoped he would pull through.

RIP and my thoughts go to his family - he was the same age as me.

NinjaMaster
4th August 2008, 12:56
It really is gut wrenching for someone so young to lose their life.

I felt numb when he crashed and skidded up the road. His visor was torn off and you could see his expressionless face and I immediately feared the worst. I guess I've thought the same on a number of other occasions and they've been ok so I talked myself into thinking he was just knocked out and will 'come to'. Just shocking to find out the tragic news today.

My heart and thoughts go out to his family, friends and team.

RIP Craig.

jonny hurlock
4th August 2008, 14:05
RIP Craig, seen the footage, just horrible racing accident altogether, but my heart and thoughts go to his family,

jackmarsh
4th August 2008, 14:35
Such a sad loss of life, have seen the footage also, and it is a dreadful accident. Rest in peace Craig

Rusty
4th August 2008, 15:06
R.I.P Craig........
Watched it Live on telly and could see it was serious from the start,Another sad loss to the motorsport world.....
My thoughts are with his Family and Friends at this time.

The Phantom
4th August 2008, 16:47
I haven't seen the Brands coverage yet, will remedy that tomorrow, but a mate alerted me to the seriousness of the crash today in a phone call, and he too mentioned that he could tell it was bad from having seen Craig Jones' face in the footage... sad sad news and to have it happen to a local racing in his home race is just terrible, for the rider, his family, and the fans. Condolences to the Jones family, and lets think of Pitty too who will be doing it tough at this time.

RIP Craig Jones ;(

Corny
4th August 2008, 17:52
It was such a weird crash.. Couldn't really see what happened, and I will not watch it again as he passed away unfortunately

Rest in peace, Craig

patnicholls
4th August 2008, 20:41
This is a tragedy for the motorcycling world.

My lasting memories of Craig will be of his unique style - only Garry McCoy's GP days are anything close to what he did with his bike. Completely fearless, incredibly stylish and what's more he made it work for him.

He took the first win by a Triumph in about twenty years in British Supersport five years ago before coming onto the world stage, and it's clear from the messages here and elsewhere that he'd made a massive impression around the globe and was on his way to much more. A superb natural and individual talent who was a championship contender this year with a fairly unfancied team and had been overdue a race win for some time, as well as a bubbly and ego-less personality who was happy to get involved with the fans (his column on BikeSportNews.com was written up until Sunday morning and has been run in his honour).

A massive loss to our racing world - he already is sorely missed.

My thoughts are with Karen (Craig's girlfriend), his family, friends and team, plus Andrew Pitt who was completely blameless.

RIP Jonesy

Pat

patnicholls
4th August 2008, 22:36
A suitable tribute to Jonesy from Tony Carter:

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/04082008/58/craig-jones-1985-2008.html

ChrisS
4th August 2008, 22:51
some idiot at FGSport decided it would be a good idea to post the crash on the official sbk youtube channel.

I am disgusted

Mach24
5th August 2008, 00:01
Your memory will forever bring a smile to my face!

tha_jackal
5th August 2008, 09:39
Rotten news, feel really down :( .. knew it wasn't good as soon as it happened..

A tragic end to an extremely promising and bright talent.
Probably one of the most entertaining riding styles you'll ever see, ive ever seen anyway..

RIP Jonesy..

Rallyst3ve
5th August 2008, 10:02
More terrible news for the world of motorsport my thoughts go to his family and friends.

RIP Craig

NinjaMaster
5th August 2008, 10:04
some idiot at FGSport decided it would be a good idea to post the crash on the official sbk youtube channel.

I am disgusted

On that, I was impressed that the broadcast only showed the crash once (live). Often when spectacular sporting incidents happen like they they are all over it, showed every possible angle. They showed some class by respecting the situation. :up:

jimmylad
5th August 2008, 16:11
I was so sorry to hear the news of Craig's death, I suppose I have kept up to date with it more because he is from my town of norhtwich, because I'm not normally into bikes other than watching them live. When I have been able to watch the racing he was always the one trying the most, and that from what i am reading will be what most people what to remind themselves of him. I never knew him personally, but my cousin did before he moved. RIP, craig, by the sounds of things u will be missed.

ChrisS
5th August 2008, 18:13
A corner will be named after Craig Jones at the new Autódromo Internacional do Algarve circuit in Portugal. A monument will also be built at the track

The track is owned by Parkalgar who also run Jones WSS team

http://www.bikesportnews.com/articles/article.html?id=CORNER_AT_NEW_PORTUGAL_TRACK_TO_BE _NAMED_IN_CRAIG_JONES_MEMORY_1

mx311
6th August 2008, 01:22
Motorsport is a passion.

Some say motorcycle racers are gladiators or super human, they’re not, they’re just ordinary men who do extraordinary things. The passion that they possess is what allows them to sum up the risks and overcome them. The pursuit of perfection is what drives them, the perfect lap, the perfect race, the perfect season.

With success come great riches, with failure great cost. Craig Jones, like all his compatriots strove for greatness, pushing himself and his machine to the limit, sometimes over it because his passion for the sport and his desire to succeed allowed him to do it. In the coming weeks Craig’s friends will once again suit up and throw their legs over their racing machines, they do this because of their passion for racing. They won’t forget Craig, I doubt anyone will, but they all know that the world continues, their lives continue, but now they not only race carrying their hopes and dreams, but the hopes and dreams of Craig Jones. His passion will be instilled in every single rider from this point onwards.

So as we the fans look on from the sidelines it’s important to remember that while competition and rivalry are part of professional sports these men with the immense talent, men with an intense passion are but at the end of the day just men. Godspeed Craig Jones.

harsha
6th August 2008, 05:39
RIP

seppefan
6th August 2008, 09:58
Craig's girlfriend of five years. Karen revealed that double World Superbike champion, racing in this year, had rushed from a gig with his band in Leicester to be by Craig's bedside at the Royal London Hospital. Another British motorcycling star, Craig's best friend Tommy Hill, was already present.

"As I opened the curtains, James came through the door, and I said, 'Your hero is here, Craig'," she recalled.

"I'm sure that was the moment he went. He heard my voice and knew James and his family and best friend, Tommy Hill, were there."

maxu05
7th August 2008, 01:14
Tragic loss for the WSBK/WSS paddock,motorcycle racing and an even greater loss for his family, friends and the fans.
RIP Craig.

ArmchairBikeFan
7th August 2008, 13:57
The great thing about Jonesy is that he'll be impossible to forget. Some riders back the bike in to corners, but Jonesy would have the thing completely sideways. His bike control was outrageous. Every time I see somebody get a bike sideways I'll remember Craig Jones.

tha_jackal
8th August 2008, 09:14
Read this elsewhere:
Steve Jones (Craig's father) has spoken with Andrew Pitt, the rider who made contact with Craig as he fell from his bike in the accident. Steve has made it clear that in no way does the family hold Andrew responsible and has asked him to go on and win the World Championship for Craig.

Great gesture and i hope it helps Pitty overcome the mental anguish he must be feeling..

The Phantom
11th August 2008, 15:13
Trevor Hedge has posted a great tribute to Craig on mcnews.com.au, including his interview footage from early 2006 when Craig was preparing to contest the WSB series on the FP1.

There are also some great wallpaper images.

http://www.mcnews.com.au/NewsArchives/2008/August/craigjones.htm

http://www.mcnews.com.au/NewsArchives/2008/August/Jones_448p.jpg

I still can't get over it.

Placid
19th August 2008, 01:16
I saw it in youtube. It was very brutal.