PDA

View Full Version : Holiday or vacation?

gloomyDAY
3rd August 2008, 03:52
Why do Brits say "holiday" and Americans say "vacation"?

Just curious.

This is what I think about when people say holiday:
http://www.talis.com/source/blog/http:/www.talis.com/source/blog/images/Christmas%20tree.jpg

vacation:
http://www.caribpro.com/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/imagemanager/images/issue3/beach_palms.jpg

boobs:
http://www.webstersismybitch.com/images/jessica-alba-4.jpg

MrJan
3rd August 2008, 12:53
Should have been:

This is what I think about when people say holiday:
http://www.talis.com/source/blog/http:/www.talis.com/source/blog/images/Christmas%20tree.jpg

holiday:
http://www.caribpro.com/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/imagemanager/images/issue3/beach_palms.jpg

boobs :cheese: :
http://www.webstersismybitch.com/images/jessica-alba-4.jpg[/QUOTE]

The word vacation obviously still exists in English English but we just don't use it that often. No idea why, although I have alays thought that 'holiday' was a nicer word :D

Mark
3rd August 2008, 21:10
Holiday is from Holy Day which was originally reserved for religious celebrations but has expanded to any time off work. Vacation comes from the French Les Vacances

GridGirl
3rd August 2008, 21:19
Its definately a holiday to me. There does seem to be the invention of the word 'Staycation' this year ,what with people not being able to afford to go away with the credit crunch and all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staycation

Rollo
4th August 2008, 03:23

Just curious.

"We have really everything in common with America nowadays, except, of course, the language."
- Oscar Wilde in The Canterville Ghost, 1888 :eek:

Historically it's because of three things:

1. 400 years of divergance
2. A deliberate attempt to change the language by Noah Webster in 1828 and the subsequent publishing of the OED in 1879.
3. The bits the US got wrong
'Cause we were the ones who invented the language - The Streets :D

Mark
4th August 2008, 08:01
Maybe it's a result of Americans not wanting to say "Christmas". I've often heard them say "Happy Holidays", whereas you'd never here that here. "Merry Christmas" is the norm, even if you aren't christian.

Storm
4th August 2008, 08:19
We normally speak the same as the Brits (obviously since they taught us the language ) but nowadays its moving towards American English as more and more people deal with Americans in their daily work.

These days over here we call holidays for all official off days and vacation for any personal leaves or when we travel anywhere.

leopard
4th August 2008, 08:29
This might be only weak difference, holiday refers more to the day offices will be off while vacation refers more to a place or activity how will we spend the holiday.

306 Cosworth
4th August 2008, 12:13
Americans ruined the English language, simple.

SOD
4th August 2008, 12:15

I'll take a raincheck on it ;)

harvick#1
4th August 2008, 17:09
Maybe it's a result of Americans not wanting to say "Christmas". I've often heard them say "Happy Holidays", whereas you'd never here that here. "Merry Christmas" is the norm, even if you aren't christian.

because of all the Politically Correct BS these days.

gloomyDAY
5th August 2008, 07:00
Maybe it's a result of Americans not wanting to say "Christmas". I've often heard them say "Happy Holidays", whereas you'd never here that here. "Merry Christmas" is the norm, even if you aren't christian.This probably has to do with the fact that Americans are hypersensitive. Political correction at its worst, or finest, depending on your point of view.

gadjo_dilo
5th August 2008, 13:37
Holiday is from Holy Day which was originally reserved for religious celebrations but has expanded to any time off work. Vacation comes from the French Les Vacances

In romanian we use "Vacanta" ( from french vacance ) to define the period of rest for pupils and students at the end of a term or semester.
For employees we use "concediu" ( from french c o n g é ) meaning a period of time when they are exempted from work on legal bases and also get a payment. When we say that an employee is on vacation it means that he has left the hometown.

22nd August 2011, 09:25
Nikki Beach is a not-to-be-missed destination not only for dining but also enjoying a truly unique South Beach landmark. South Beach Club (http://www.nikkibeachmiami.com/) offers an eclectic menu ranging from wood burning oven pizzas, delicious salads, creative sushi rolls, innovative seafood entrees, freshwhole lobster and mouthwatering Chateaubriand.

Brown, Jon Brow
22nd August 2011, 11:23
because of all the Politically Correct BS these days.

I hear a lot of people over here saying something similar to this, but in all seriousness, I've not seen one shred of evidence in the real world that PC is stopping anyone saying Christmas.

Brown, Jon Brow
22nd August 2011, 11:24

Just curious.
Christmas

Holiday

Mark
22nd August 2011, 11:37
Two different languages, British English and American English. For the most part they are the same, but not always and this is one of them.

The most annoying thing is when an American company has a promotion in the UK and uses words like "This holiday season", when I course they mean "This Christmas".. If you were to say "Holiday Season" to someone in Britain they would usually think about July / August when most people here take their holidays from work!

And the reason I dislike it is just laziness, they wouldn't put out an advert in Germany which wasn't translated into German, so you shouldn't have something for a UK audience which also hasn't been properly translated.

(PS. This is an old thread, resurrected by a spam-bot, the offending spam has since been deleted and the user banned and reported to the StopForumSpam database)

Brown, Jon Brow
22nd August 2011, 11:44
(PS. This is an old thread, resurrected by a spam-bot, the offending spam has since been deleted and the user banned and reported to the StopForumSpam database)

I'm no spam! :p

BDunnell
22nd August 2011, 14:34

According to a lot of people, 'political correctness' means that we can no longer say 'Christmas' for fear of offending those of other faiths — an unfounded load of nonsense, as evidenced by the fact that no-one in their right mind would wish 'happy holidays' with reference to Christmas, and I have never heard anyone doing so.

BDunnell
22nd August 2011, 14:35
Two different languages, British English and American English. For the most part they are the same, but not always and this is one of them.

The most annoying thing is when an American company has a promotion in the UK and uses words like "This holiday season", when I course they mean "This Christmas".. If you were to say "Holiday Season" to someone in Britain they would usually think about July / August when most people here take their holidays from work!

And the reason I dislike it is just laziness, they wouldn't put out an advert in Germany which wasn't translated into German, so you shouldn't have something for a UK audience which also hasn't been properly translated.

Exactly right!

(I await with great anticipation a post from anthonyvop in this thread, claiming that we should accept the use of American English owing to the manner in which the great defenders of freedom saved us from tyranny in WW2, out of a sense of sustained gratitude, etc, etc...)

Eki
22nd August 2011, 16:03
Happy Vacations, everyone!

anthonyvop
22nd August 2011, 22:48

Ah. That great English Sarcasm. It is even in their country's name. GREAT Britain.......Hahahahaha...Toooooo Funny!!!

Brown, Jon Brow
22nd August 2011, 22:52
Ah. That great English Sarcasm. It is even in their country's name. GREAT Britain.......Hahahahaha...Toooooo Funny!!!

So now England is the same as Great Britain?

Daniel
22nd August 2011, 22:53

I've never understood it either Tony, so you spell a few words differently, who gives a ****? Tbh there is more of a difference between some regional dialects of English within England than there are between US and British English. Seriously, wtf is a barm for ****s sake?

Brown, Jon Brow
22nd August 2011, 22:56
I've never understood it either Tony, so you spell a few words differently, who gives a ****? Tbh there is more of a difference between some regional dialects of English within England than there are between US and British English. Seriously, wtf is a barm for ****s sake?

:( The worst word in the world is barm. You're lucky you don't live in Lancashire and have to hear it everyday!

Daniel
22nd August 2011, 23:09
Tends to get used a little in Cheshire sadly.

anthonyvop
22nd August 2011, 23:23
So now England is the same as Great Britain?

Pretty much.

BDunnell
22nd August 2011, 23:36
Pretty much.

Er... no. But I wouldn't expect you to know any better.

anthonyvop
22nd August 2011, 23:37
Er... no. But I wouldn't expect you to know any better.

Hehehehe.....Reality isn't kind to that once important Island and its people.

BDunnell
22nd August 2011, 23:43
Hehehehe.....Reality isn't kind to that once important Island and its people.

Tony, your knowledge of other countries is embarrassingly appalling. If I were you, I'd desist even making comment on subjects relating to matters outside your own shores. That said, your remarks whenever you do are unintentionally funny, and any source of humour in an often depressing world is to be cherished.

anthonyvop
23rd August 2011, 01:27
Tony, your knowledge of other countries is embarrassingly appalling. If I were you, I'd desist even making comment on subjects relating to matters outside your own shores. That said, your remarks whenever you do are unintentionally funny, and any source of humour in an often depressing world is to be cherished.

Somebody really needs to develop a sense of humor.

Rollo
23rd August 2011, 01:54
Seriously, wtf is a barm for ****s sake?

Barm is the foam or scum on top of a settled liquid after fermentation.

From that word we get Barm Cakes, Barmpot and Barmy as in Andrew Strauss' BARMY ARMY,
BARMY ARMY, BARMY ARMY!!!

Rollo
23rd August 2011, 02:03

Hee hee. Also as in Great Yarmouth, Great Chishill and Great Snoring. :D What's so great about those places?

Britain is famous for its self-deprecation:
http://www.ssplprints.com/lowres/43/main/1/80378.jpg
Yeah totally. Skegness is Soooooo bracing. :rolleyes:

Bob Riebe
23rd August 2011, 20:23
Now that you mention that, I wonder how long it will be before the atheist leaders take offense at being told to have a happy holy day; after nall that is still a religious reference.

BDunnell
23rd August 2011, 20:31
Now that you mention that, I wonder how long it will be before the atheist leaders take offense at being told to have a happy holy day; after nall that is still a religious reference.

I am an atheist, many of my friends are atheists, and none of us have the slightest objection to the use of Christian terms. Such concerns as you outline are all in the mind.

BDunnell
23rd August 2011, 20:31
Somebody really needs to develop a sense of humor.

I have one, thank you very much. As I said, it finds your contributions hilarious.

Bob Riebe
23rd August 2011, 20:38
I am an atheist, many of my friends are atheists, and none of us have the slightest objection to the use of Christian terms. Such concerns as you outline are all in the mind.Over here such concerns are being taken to the courts OFTEN; you need to read more of such issues in the U.S.

ioan
23rd August 2011, 21:32
This probably has to do with the fact that Americans are hypersensitive. Political correction at its worst, or finest, depending on your point of view.

You mean political correctness!

ioan
23rd August 2011, 21:34
You mean for 2012?! ;)

ioan
23rd August 2011, 21:35
Fully agree.

BDunnell
23rd August 2011, 22:02
ioan, am I correct in thinking there is something missing from your posts above?

Brown, Jon Brow
23rd August 2011, 22:14
I am an atheist, many of my friends are atheists, and none of us have the slightest objection to the use of Christian terms. Such concerns as you outline are all in the mind.

I agree with this. But I still wonder why we (athiests) feel a need to respect religion, yet we don't feel the need to respect others political views?

BDunnell
23rd August 2011, 22:24
I agree with this. But I still wonder why we (athiests) feel a need to respect religion, yet we don't feel the need to respect others political views?

Maybe because we view religious beliefs as being deeper-seated than political ones? It's a possibility. My particular disdain is reserved for those whose fundamentalist religious beliefs inform their political ones, viz Bush, Blair and their ilk.

Mark
24th August 2011, 09:23
Saying that British English is 'correct' is a bit of a red herring really. As quite a few American words and spellings are actually the original English which changed in Britain but not in America.

And for those who don't understand.

UK = Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Great Britain = England, Scotland, Wales

Most people here refer to Britain not UK or England. The reference to the whole of the UK as England seems a peculiarly American trait. It's akin to referring to the USA as 'California'

The 'Great' doesn't mean 'fantastic' but comes from 'greater' which is often used to refer to an enlarged area and was used when referring to the unification of England with Scotland.