PDA

View Full Version : Casey Mears?

ZzZzZz
1st August 2008, 22:54
He's shopping for a ride and has made it clear that he's not just looking at NASCAR. That a good seat in Indy Car would definitely be an option.

Obviously it's most likely he'll stay in NASCAR, but this is another sign the tide has turned. The exodus has stopped, and Indy Car seats are becoming more attractive.

Chamoo
2nd August 2008, 02:14
He's shopping for a ride and has made it clear that he's not just looking at NASCAR. That a good seat in Indy Car would definitely be an option.

Obviously it's most likely he'll stay in NASCAR, but this is another sign the tide has turned. The exodus has stopped, and Indy Car seats are becoming more attractive.

I doubt he is seriously looking at a IC ride. He is most likely using it as leverage.

garyshell
2nd August 2008, 05:40
I doubt he is seriously looking at a IC ride. He is most likely using it as leverage.

Maybe so, but even that is an indication that the tide has turned somewhat, don't you think? I mean a year ago, who would have taken seriously any thought that a NASCAR driver threatening to go to the IRL as a way to leverage a ride in NASCAR?

Gary

jeffconn
2nd August 2008, 05:50
Maybe so, but even that is an indication that the tide has turned somewhat, don't you think? I mean a year ago, who would have taken seriously any thought that a NASCAR driver threatening to go to the IRL as a way to leverage a ride in NASCAR?

Gary

A few years ago, what would he have told the NASCAR team owner? "i'll go to the open wheel series and BUY a ride if you don't pay me what i'm worth!"

Civic
2nd August 2008, 07:46
He didn't impress me in Lights or his limited Champ Car appearances.

Phoenixent
2nd August 2008, 09:24
He didn't impress me in Lights or his limited Champ Car appearances.

His first run in CART with Rahal Racing was impressive finishing 4th in 2000. His other efforts in the IRL was with Galles and that team was junk since 1993 in CART. 2001 he replaced Zanardi at Nunn Racing and that was another team that was junk but still finished 8th at Fontana. If he lands in a good team I think he will be good out there but the chemistry need to be right.

Chris R
2nd August 2008, 13:31
I am not sure it is "leverage" for NASCAR - whom is he levering?? I think it is a realistic assessment that his options in NASCAR are limited and that the IRL is a more viable option than it used to be....

Chamoo
2nd August 2008, 15:12
I am not sure it is "leverage" for NASCAR - whom is he levering?? I think it is a realistic assessment that his options in NASCAR are limited and that the IRL is a more viable option than it used to be....

He is probably in discussions with a Nascab team, but trying to get some extra money out of them to stop him from going elsewhere.

I am not saying all this to be negative, I just don't believe he would be seriously looking at an ICS ride. Also, I would like a link to the story where he says he would be interested in driving anything, not just tin tops.

BenRoethig
2nd August 2008, 17:09
I think this might be the start of a turning point. Drivers are starting to realize that that Tony Stewart's quick transition was the exception rather than the rule. People who have won things in the open wheel ranks like A.J., Hornish, Franchitti, J.V., etc come over, feel like they know everything and end up running at the back.

BenRoethig
2nd August 2008, 17:10
He is probably in discussions with a Nascab team, but trying to get some extra money out of them to stop him from going elsewhere.

I am not saying all this to be negative, I just don't believe he would be seriously looking at an ICS ride. Also, I would like a link to the story where he says he would be interested in driving anything, not just tin tops.

I have to agree with your sentiment as rudely put as it is. However, if he doesn't get on with a top flight team, I could see him coming back to open wheel.

Chris R
2nd August 2008, 18:42

I see your point - it just seems very "Jos Verstappenish" to me - I mean -if I were a team owner an Casey Mears told me he was thinking of going to the IRL it would not phase me one way or the other... And, if I were a France I would not be losing any sleep over Casey Mears leaving Sprint Cup.... Given those thoughts, I don't see how it is any kind of leverage to get more $$ from a NASCAR team... However, if my assumptions are wrong and he is more highly thought of than I think - than I would agree with you 100%....

IWUTitan90
2nd August 2008, 20:46
I see your point - it just seems very "Jos Verstappenish" to me - I mean -if I were a team owner an Casey Mears told me he was thinking of going to the IRL it would not phase me one way or the other... And, if I were a France I would not be losing any sleep over Casey Mears leaving Sprint Cup.... Given those thoughts, I don't see how it is any kind of leverage to get more $$ from a NASCAR team... However, if my assumptions are wrong and he is more highly thought of than I think - than I would agree with you 100%....

I doubt France is losing sleep over Casey Mears joining the IRL, but a driver from arguably the best team in Nascar joining the IRL is a different issue. Nascar has spared no expense this season touting the fact that several former Open Wheel drivers were competing in the series. From Daytona to todays race in Montreal we have heard just how happy they were to finally be in Nascar. To have Mears join the IRL is a complete 180 from the "message". Won't happen.

call_me_andrew
3rd August 2008, 22:46
I think the fact that he's only managed 6 top fives with the best team makes it pretty easy for NASCAR to let him go.

The instant classic
4th August 2008, 15:10
sad to say Casey Mears is only in racing cuz of the mears name, he was nothing in nascar, i dont think hes going to do much in the IRL,
but does it really matter if mears comes? i mean will anyone say, OMG mears has come to the IRL!! i dont think so,,,i think when some fans see casey, they think of Rick mears, and casey anit that good,, look at kyle petty he could never match his dad and everyone was thinking he wolud, cuz hes got the petty name, and its sad to see some drivers that have the same name as a big name driver can never match them,, if casey comes to the IRL good for him, but i wont be freaking out over it,

call_me_andrew
5th August 2008, 04:10
But I think he does have a small number of loyal fans who would follow him. That's what makes it imporant.

In the world of NASCAR, his fans are a drop in the ocean, but to the IRL they're like a flood in the desert.