PDA

View Full Version : Possible Super Touring race at 2009 Silverstone Classic

Iain
31st July 2008, 12:49
Reading in Autosport this week that the Silverstone Classic for 2009 will hopefully include a Super Touring race for the David Leslie Memorial Trophy. :D

No clash with the BTCC either, it's the summer break...... :)

Marshall
31st July 2008, 13:31
Hell Yeah!

Rover V8
31st July 2008, 18:58
I've got mixed feelings on this- on one hand, I'd love to see a really good grid of ST cars, particularly with a few big name drivers past and present on the entry list (Someone really needs to find a way of getting Cleland back into a Cavalier for this....), but on the other, I can't help feeling it seems a bit soon for them to be appearing on historic race programmes. Now a race for 80's Group A cars, BMW 635s and M3s, Cosworths, Rovers, Volvo 240 turbos, XJSs and Commodores is another thing.....

There are still plenty of ST cars active in club racing though, which at least gives this a good chance of getting off the ground

Iain
31st July 2008, 19:01
I don't know if Mike Newton would want JC back in the 1995 Cavalier after Goodwood. ;)

If the GT90s Revival series for the GT1 supercars of the 1990s can happen, then a one off event for the ST cars is realistic surely? :)

#1JamesThompsonFan
31st July 2008, 19:42
If it happens... IM IN!

Eurotech
31st July 2008, 21:27
My Uncle owns either Rickard Rydells or Anthony Reids 2000 mondeo and Im sure he'd be willing to compete......

Rover V8
31st July 2008, 21:50
I don't know if Mike Newton would want JC back in the 1995 Cavalier after Goodwood. ;)

If the GT90s Revival series for the GT1 supercars of the 1990s can happen, then a one off event for the ST cars is realistic surely? :)

GT90s is struggling to attract entries so far though.....

I think an ST race is definitely a realistic prospect , there are plenty of active cars out there- it's more that I still find it difficult to think of them as historic cars yet from an age point of view-I can see historic ST being a big thing in the future though.

....and yes, if I was Mike Newton I'd be thinking twice about letting JC loose in the '95 Cav again in a hurry as well....

VkmSpouge
1st August 2008, 16:18
There's plenty of super tourers out, I hope that they attract a good entry list in 2009. If they have the super tourers there I'll definitely go.

Allyc85
1st August 2008, 17:25
Yea me too, id love to see a field of super tourers :D

I think it does have a deserving place on the classics weekend as it is the most popular era, which IMO wont be repeated again.

VkmSpouge
1st August 2008, 23:05
Just read the Silverstone Classic website that they're targeting to get over 30 super tourers racing, which would be a sight to see. Hope they get that number.

VX_Rules
1st August 2008, 23:10
As I was too young to pay attention at the time, YES PLEASE! :D

Les
2nd August 2008, 09:02
I quicky emailed my mate who hadn't heard about this and he wants to race so that's one!

tdb
2nd August 2008, 14:57

The car wasn't that badly damaged and is almost repaired, the Thompson car is also ready to go after a full rebuild.

And Mike wants to see them race and race them.

I am sure, should such a race happen, we would be there with 2 maybe 3 of the cavaliers(we have 2 94 and 2 95 chassis at our workshops) and Mike may well put Mr Clelland in one of them.

reidy_fan
2nd August 2008, 19:04
will be asking stewart whyte if he is planning on taking the accord down, watched the coverage last weekend what a meeting. I know silverstone is a boring place but I would love to marshal at that one

would be great if Graham Leslie would take part in one of David's old cars, perhaps Ed Hoy as well

Iain
2nd August 2008, 21:31
The car wasn't that badly damaged and is almost repaired, the Thompson car is also ready to go after a full rebuild.

And Mike wants to see them race and race them.

I am sure, should such a race happen, we would be there with 2 maybe 3 of the cavaliers(we have 2 94 and 2 95 chassis at our workshops) and Mike may well put Mr Clelland in one of them.

I forget how tough the ST cars were compared to the current crop. I'd love to see the Cavaliers race again. :D

Eurotech
2nd August 2008, 22:43
I hope theyll meybe give it TV coverage .....

Brown, Jon Brow
3rd August 2008, 17:16
it would be a sight! Would the cars be running the original liveries?

VkmSpouge
3rd August 2008, 18:50
If you take the LMA EuroSaloons as an example it seems roughly an even split between original liveries and those running in current teams' colours.

tdb
4th August 2008, 22:46
Both 95 cavaliers will be in their original liveries as seen on the Clelland car at godwood FOS.

Iain
4th August 2008, 22:50
The car did look good from the photos I saw. :) Do you still have the original black alloys for them or are they hard to come by these days?

tdb
5th August 2008, 18:34
They were actually metallic grey, the same as the inside of the cars, but yes we have lots of both 94 and 95 rims, they are now yellow. Mike bought the whole package from RML, the amount of spares is unbeleivebale!!!
i was sorting through the other day and for example, there are 112 new caliper rebuild kits! 20 sets of dampers, enough spare gear ratios to fill the boot of the car etc etc!

VkmSpouge
5th August 2008, 19:16
If the Cavaliers do race at Silverstone next year I recommend taking out the spare gear ratios from the boot of the car :p :

Iain
7th August 2008, 19:46
I imagine this is a scene quite familiar to you in recent times tdb!
http://www.johncleland.net/mallock.htm

PDS
12th August 2008, 00:09
Just read the Silverstone Classic website that they're targeting to get over 30 super tourers racing, which would be a sight to see. Hope they get that number.

With over half that number already showing interest, it's looking good for a full grid.

And after hearing some of the cars that could be there, I have booked that date already.

VkmSpouge
12th August 2008, 18:09
Care to mention some of the cars that could be there? Just the manufacturer and model will do :p :

tdb
12th August 2008, 19:21
The cavalier will be at silverstone for the BTCC round as part of a past cars demo and will be doing demo runs.

tdb
12th August 2008, 21:58
quick! someone tell Alfafan, Xero will be running a BTCC car at silverstone! :)

PDS
12th August 2008, 22:17
Care to mention some of the cars that could be there? Just the manufacturer and model will do :p :

Prepare to be excited!!!!

http://www.supertouringregister.com/Silverstone09.php

The only cars missing (at the moment) Alfa 155, Pug 405/406 and Renault Laguna... But only time will tell..

PDS
12th August 2008, 23:07
Prepare to be excited!!!!

http://www.supertouringregister.com/Silverstone09.php

The only cars missing (at the moment) Alfa 155, Pug 405/406 and Renault Laguna... But only time will tell..
OR BMW's!

VkmSpouge
13th August 2008, 01:20
Wow...25 cars that are interested in taking part already, if they can get most of them to the grid that would be great.

Maybe someone should contact the Serbian Touring Cars? They have 11 super tourers there including a couple of Renaults, a Volvo and a Peugeot. Might be a bit of a journey for them but would be fun.

One car I would love to see compete is the Roger Dawson Engineering Mazda 323f, a lovely looking car but never raced in the BTCC.

Iain
13th August 2008, 06:34
I know it's all just on paper at the moment, but it looks very promising. Looking forward to seeing the Cavalier demo runs at Silverstone in a few weeks. :D

kmchow
13th August 2008, 06:51
I never knew Flash Engineering still owns a 850 and S40! The entry list is very nice, but I wonder how many of those entries will end up showing up on the starting grid??

MBailey06
13th August 2008, 15:23
OR BMW's!

Or Toyota's! (Only really because my namesake Julian Bailey used to drive one.) Infact there are quite a few ex-BTCC cars available to buy on the internet. Including Peugeots, BMWs and Mazdas. Hopefully someone might snap them up and enter them. (As much as I'd love to buy one I can't afford it.)