PDA

View Full Version : F1 bosses to set up new team body

CNR
29th July 2008, 23:12
http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080729.wsptform29/GSStory/GlobeSportsOther/home

The teams have subsequently agreed unanimously that they will establish the new Formula One Teams Association to work with the FIA and FOM (Formula One Management) to agree upon regulations and commercial conditions which will provide a framework for a strong and dynamic sport," it added.

yodasarmpit
29th July 2008, 23:15
Oh good, yet another F1 bureaucracy.

I suppose it does make sense though, as the teams will be able to act as a group, if it works.

veeten
29th July 2008, 23:31
Yes, for those of us that remember, it's the return of FOCA (Formula One Constructors' Association).

ArrowsFA1
30th July 2008, 08:21
Yes, for those of us that remember, it's the return of FOCA (Formula One Constructors' Association).
That was my first thought. It would appear that all the teams, in a move brokered by Ecclestone and CVC, hope to speak with one voice in their dealings with the FIA.

Given the history of these kind of things it seems significant that Ferrari are so clearly involved. Looking back at FISA/FOCA times they allied themselves with the governing body but perhaps things are changing.

MAX_THRUST
30th July 2008, 09:56
Championship Auto Race TEams...........

Oh sorry that was done years ago CART.

Got to be good news for F1, can they ditch the FIA then? Well its another way of preparing for a break away.

Knock-on
30th July 2008, 10:24
That was my first thought. It would appear that all the teams, in a move brokered by Ecclestone and CVC, hope to speak with one voice in their dealings with the FIA.

Given the history of these kind of things it seems significant that Ferrari are so clearly involved. Looking back at FISA/FOCA times they allied themselves with the governing body but perhaps things are changing.

Mmmmm, the game is afoot Holmes.

The winds of change start to make their impact. Let's see, let's see.....

One thing I do know is that a lot of lines are being drawn in the sand.

ioan
30th July 2008, 12:17

I rather think that they care more about managing to take back a part of the money that Bernie takes away from the sport than trying to fight the FIA.

ArrowsFA1
30th July 2008, 12:53
I rather think that they care more about managing to take back a part of the money that Bernie takes away from the sport than trying to fight the FIA.
Many times over the years the self-interests of the teams has been a stumbling block. Back in 2004 Paul Stoddart said (http://www.autosport-atlas.com/article.asp?id=40741) "We have got to start taking decisions that are in the interests of everybody – or at least the majority – as opposed to the wretched unanimity that has kept us from agreeing anything. Unanimity has screwed this sport for years now and all of us at one time or another have played the unanimity card or used it for our favour. Hopefully those days will be over.” They weren't.

The creation of the Formula One Teams Association may partly have been created to avoid this issue in the future, and find a more constructive way forward for the sport.

Knock-on
30th July 2008, 13:04
FOTA is a bit of an enigma for me because it makes sense for the sport.

I predicted this would happen very soon after Maxgate broke because F1 needs to distance itself from the FIA a bit.

Previously, individual teams could veto and delay rules and initiatives by playing politics with the FIA and FOM. Paul's right that they have all played that game.

Now, F1 has agreed for the good of the sport (and themselves) to present a united front and good on them. In particular, I think Ferrari deserve a HUGE pat on the back. It's no secret that they have a close relationship with the FIA and have the most to lose by having a level playing field so well done to them.

I think that if properly managed, this will be positive for the sport but time will tell. Lets hope it doesn't turn into a 3 way bun fight.

ioan
30th July 2008, 15:47
Many times over the years the self-interests of the teams has been a stumbling block. Back in 2004 Paul Stoddart said (http://www.autosport-atlas.com/article.asp?id=40741) "We have got to start taking decisions that are in the interests of everybody – or at least the majority – as opposed to the wretched unanimity that has kept us from agreeing anything. Unanimity has screwed this sport for years now and all of us at one time or another have played the unanimity card or used it for our favour. Hopefully those days will be over.” They weren't.

The creation of the Formula One Teams Association may partly have been created to avoid this issue in the future, and find a more constructive way forward for the sport.

I hope so!

Mark
30th July 2008, 18:59
I didn't realise FOCA had gone away. What happened to it?

Valve Bounce
30th July 2008, 23:07
I have just received this from a highly unreliable source:
"COST CUTTING IS THE HOT TOPIC IN F1 AT THE MOMENT AND THE CARLTON CREW BRINGS YOU THE TOP SECRET TEAM BOSSES' DISCUSSION DOCUMENT

All team personnel to sleep in Japanese-style Capsule Hotel blocks parked in the GP2 paddock (locked at night.) Without access to towns, hotel bars etc, expenses should be drastically reduced and will also lead to a small but significant reduction in the use of headache pills.

Safety cars replaced by dummy hares rented from local greyhound racing tracks.

Photographers to only attend the first race of the season, where they will be given greater access to cars and drivers. They can then photoshop different circuit backgrounds into all photos. Exceptions will be made if a driver changes his team.

Team bosses to offer journalists flights to and from races on their private jets at budget airline prices.

Drivers who consistently crash to be given special, high-tech, rubber nosecones designed by Volvo.

Engines to be run on bio-diesel made from reclaimed cooking oil, thus saving the environment and giving teams an inducement to reintroduce the daily media fried breakfast.

Teams are only allowed one Press Release upgrade per season so that driver quotes are standardised. The use of the words "for sure" at the start of a driver quote is banned. Team bosses will face a three race ban if found in possession of the word "optimise."

Contract negotiations to be carried out by Mick Gatto, under the strict control of the PURANA Task Force.

Spanish Grand Prix to be ended after first round of pit-stops, cutting costs and preventing the global TV audience dying of boredom.

All F1 drivers to be paid expenses only and then a bonus per finishing position. This will drastically reduce costs as well as making the race for eighth place the most exciting part of a Grand Prix."

ioan
30th July 2008, 23:15
:rotflmao:

gloomyDAY
31st July 2008, 02:43
I have just received this from a highly unreliable source:"Spanish Grand Prix to be ended after first round of pit-stops, cutting costs and preventing the global TV audience dying of boredom."
http://www.chaoszone.de/blog/media/blogs/webnews/funny-animals-01-laughing-horse.jpg

ArrowsFA1
31st July 2008, 09:16
I didn't realise FOCA had gone away. What happened to it?
I think that after the FISA/FOCA war, and Max becoming FIA President the need for such an organisation lessened considerably. FOCA was Bernie's organisation, representing the "garagistes" v the "grandee" (FISA supporting) teams. Max was its' legal advisor.

Once Max was established as FIA President, and Bernie securely in charge of the commercial arm of F1 then FOCA's role merged into the FIA and Bernie's Formula One Group.

veeten
31st July 2008, 12:07
Well, Arrows, looks like we're not the only ones that saw this, as the song goes,... "...as all just a little bit of history, repeating".

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns20611.html

Valve Bounce
31st July 2008, 12:36
Well, Arrows, looks like we're not the only ones that saw this, as the song goes,... "...as all just a little bit of history, repeating".

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns20611.html

.............................and this: http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns20613.html

..................which is the vital component of the new organisation. Because, without Ferrari support, any new organisation will not have the negotiating power.

ArrowsFA1
31st July 2008, 12:48

..................which is the vital component of the new organisation. Because, without Ferrari support, any new organisation will not have the negotiating power.
Indeed :up: Interesting times.

31st July 2008, 15:29

Indeed :up: Interesting times.

Hmmm....very interesting.