PDA

View Full Version : Mexico dropped from 2009 Nationwide schedule

RaceFanStan
29th July 2008, 22:54
It is currently unknown which track may get the race date ....

http://www.nascar.com/2008/news/headlines/bg/07/29/nationwide.mexico.off.schedule/index.html

-Helix-
30th July 2008, 01:43
NASCAR races far too many road courses anyway.

They must've got tired of turning right. [/sarcasm]

tstran17_88
30th July 2008, 18:24
A lot of the Nationwide teams are breathing a sigh of relief...that race was a wallet breaker.

Sparky1329
30th July 2008, 18:59
It is currently unknown which track may get the race date ....

http://www.nascar.com/2008/news/headlines/bg/07/29/nationwide.mexico.off.schedule/index.html

Another road course, I hope.

harvick#1
30th July 2008, 19:18
thank goodness the Demo Derby in Mexico is finally over.

jeffconn
31st July 2008, 02:53
I hear there is a one-mile track in Rockingham, NC that produces some great racing. ;)

tstran17_88
31st July 2008, 03:07
I hear there is a one-mile track in Rockingham, NC that produces some great racing. ;) Yeah...so far all they've run there is an ARCA race. :cheese:

call_me_andrew
31st July 2008, 05:38
A lot of the Nationwide teams are breathing a sigh of relief...that race was a wallet breaker.

Actually it had the highest purse after Daytona. Felix put a lot of his own money into it and it could have paid more, but NASCAR didn't want this race to look more important than Daytona.

tstran17_88
31st July 2008, 17:58
That may be...but quite a few teams, mostly teams without Cup backing, complained about the costs of getting down there, which I don't think their take of the purse from the race covered.

call_me_andrew
1st August 2008, 03:11
I think those teams are full of crap, because Mexico City is 300 miles closer to Mooresville than Fontana.

Sparky1329
1st August 2008, 05:24
I think those teams are full of crap, because Mexico City is 300 miles closer to Mooresville than Fontana.

The distance isn't the problem. There's a lot of red tape and regulations that teams have to follow just to be allowed into the country with their convoys. Every team member needed a passport and every part and piece of equipment needed to be documented for Mexican customs. That all costs money and none of those things are needed to race within our borders.

speeddurango
2nd August 2008, 23:15
How much does dealing with Mexican customs have to cost?

DavePI2
3rd August 2008, 15:29
but I thought the idea of taking nascar to other countries was going to be such a huge success. Isn't that what nascar told us?

david

Sparky1329
3rd August 2008, 18:45
but I thought the idea of taking nascar to other countries was going to be such a huge success. Isn't that what nascar told us?

davidNASCAR tells us lots of crap. A bunch of it is BS, as we know.

call_me_andrew
3rd August 2008, 22:33
How much does dealing with Mexican customs have to cost?

I looked out up much money was paid. Last place at Mexico city this year earned $40,000. Last place at Daytona paid $42,000. Last place at California paid $22,000. Last place at Montreal was $31,000.

tstran17_88
7th August 2008, 02:16
I know they changed the schedule this year, but in the past three seasons, I recall a lot of the teams w/o a Cup affiliation biggest complaint was having to haul from NC to Cali back to NC, then to Mexico City and back and finally to Vegas and back in three weekends. They weren't able to park trailers at the border in Brownsville, TX like RCR, Roush or Gibbs.

tstran17_88
7th August 2008, 02:31
I looked out up much money was paid. Last place at Mexico city this year earned $40,000. Last place at Daytona paid $42,000. Last place at California paid $22,000. Last place at Montreal was $31,000.Not quite sure what this has to do with custom costs???

I do know each and every component shipped out of this country has to be compliance coded for export. Not including the tariff costs paid to the US, there is the time and labor cost for employees sifting through a manual that is twice the size as a NYC phone book to figure out the proper coding, checking to see if there are specific court rulings applying to the part that is being coded and the extra coding that certain parts require, like computers, encrypted discs, certain rubbers and components made of stainless steel alloys because of the restrictions of shipping these items to Iran, North Korea & Sudan. (There's one other country on that list that I can't recall right now).

I wouldn't know if this applies to the team's equipment since all that comes back into the states, but I'm sure it applies to all the team's souvenir sales. And I'd bet a doughnut that every piece of a diecast car would have to be coded since it can be broken down, where a hat or t-shirt may only have one code.

call_me_andrew
7th August 2008, 04:29
It's more about reimbursement than cost alone.

oldhippie
10th August 2008, 16:32
the mexico race sucked
i am glad to see it go away

Shifter
11th August 2008, 16:27
Another road course, I hope.

Spa Francorchamps. Kidding.

VIR. Nah, I'm dreaming.

I'm actually hoping for a true street circuit, but I know it'll problably be some oval.

Lee Roy
11th August 2008, 16:33
I'm actually hoping for a true street circuit, but I know it'll problably be some oval.

In the US, street circuits are for series that don't have long to live.

jeffconn
11th August 2008, 22:37
43 cars on a tight street circuit? 43 pit stalls on a temp track? Doesn't sound too feasible to me.

Shifter
12th August 2008, 20:30
You're right. It's sad that although the USA/Canada are home to many great road-racing circuits, only a couple really fit the bill for NASCAR. Any chance I could just trade the mexico event for the *full* Watkins Glen circuit?

call_me_andrew
12th August 2008, 20:56
NASCAR would never run the full course at Watkins Glen for two reasons.

1. Keeping the field bunched up on the short course makes for more crashes and appeals to the lowest common denominator.
2. More laps means you can charge more per ticket.

Lee Roy
12th August 2008, 21:02
NASCAR would never run the full course at Watkins Glen for two reasons.

1. Keeping the field bunched up on the short course makes for more crashes and appeals to the lowest common denominator.
2. More laps means you can charge more per ticket.

And the fans will get to see more laps. That does add to the value of what the fans pay for, something that other racing series could learn a little something about.

Saabaru
13th August 2008, 01:15
In the US, street circuits are for series that don't have long to live.
Ummm.....What? :confused:

Lee Roy
13th August 2008, 02:04
Ummm.....What? :confused:

Ever hear of CART, or Champ Car? They raced on street courses quite often, both are now a memory.

The IRL, which is going more and more to street racing, just got booted to Versus.

jslone
13th August 2008, 03:45
How about VIR or Road Atlanta,Elk Hart Lake,just to name a few,Nascar currently doesnt run these tracks,but they do test at VIR so why not that track?I have heard in the past I think that Kentucky might get another date,who knows.

ShiftingGears
13th August 2008, 03:46
Ever hear of CART, or Champ Car? They raced on street courses quite often, both are now a memory.

The IRL, which is going more and more to street racing, just got booted to Versus.

That is not because of street racing. That is because of the split, and incompetant management.

Saabaru
13th August 2008, 04:12
It sounds like someone just has something against road courses.

-Helix-
13th August 2008, 09:03

Booted? Hah.

If "booted" means a great move that shows a lot more potential than where they currently were, I wish I would get "booted" out of my cubicle and into my dream job of acting in Hollywood.

Someone seems awfully threatened by this "other series" considering you have to try and insult it in all of your posts. Must be bitter that the tintops can't handle a real race track.

-Helix-
13th August 2008, 09:09
And the fans will get to see more laps. That does add to the value of what the fans pay for, something that other racing series could learn a little something about.

Why race on only a portion of a track which by itself is a joke? I think the better racing adds plenty to the value. Better than watching bricks bump against eachother trying to make a turn without the help of high banks.

But leave it to the people who think "rubbin' is racin'" to actually find that entertaining. Personally, I just can't stop laughing at how pathetic it is.

Lee Roy
13th August 2008, 10:43
That is not because of street racing. That is because of the split, and incompetant management.

And you forgot a lousy product that few people care about anymore.

Lee Roy
13th August 2008, 10:46
Booted? Hah.

If "booted" means a great move that shows a lot more potential than where they currently were, I wish I would get "booted" out of my cubicle and into my dream job of acting in Hollywood.

HA, if you think that going from a major network with several outlets (ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, etc.) to an obscure cable channel that changes it's name every couple of years and only a fraction of the country has access to is a step up, you really need to lay off the Kool-Aide.

ShiftingGears
13th August 2008, 12:19
And you forgot a lousy product that few people care about anymore.

...Which has jack all to do with the fact that they're occasionally on street circuits.

Lee Roy
13th August 2008, 12:47
...Which has jack all to do with the fact that they're occasionally on street circuits.

It has a lot to do with it. Racing series begin to go to steet circuits when the series can't attract enough fans for a real race track to make any profit (or break even) from one or their events. The racing series then approaches various municipalities making promises of untold wealth if they have this street race. Almost always, after a couple of years the municipality realizes they've been sold a bill of goods when the promised crowds don't materialize and the whole thing collapses into a barrel of red ink.

ShiftingGears
13th August 2008, 13:07
It has a lot to do with it. Racing series begin to go to steet circuits when the series can't attract enough fans for a real race track to make any profit (or break even) from one or their events.

Like Formula One?

The racing series then approaches various municipalities making promises of untold wealth if they have this street race. Almost always, after a couple of years the municipality realizes they've been sold a bill of goods when the promised crowds don't materialize and the whole thing collapses into a barrel of red ink.

I am certain that NASCAR are in a much better position to make a street circuit - unique to their calendar - work for them. Why should NASCAR not go to a street circuit because of a perceived association with a series heading downhill?

Lee Roy
13th August 2008, 13:23
Like Formula One?

You'll note that I specifically stated "in the US". Please try to stick to the subject.

I am certain that NASCAR are in a much better position to make a street circuit - unique to their calendar - work for them. Why should NASCAR not go to a street circuit because of a perceived association with a series heading downhill?

NASCAR has no need to try to pull the wool over some poor City Council's eyes to get races. They are able to attact enoungh paying customers to make it worthwhile for a real race track to hold their events.

Lee Roy
13th August 2008, 15:22
How about . . . . Elk Hart Lake . . . .

NASCAR did run there in 1956.

http://racing-reference.info/race?id=1956-37&series=W

Saabaru
13th August 2008, 17:55
Like Formula One?

For some reason there is a large majority North American's who think if you are not going in a clean little circle it's not real racing. They want to see the cars running wheel-to-wheel. Literally, they want them in a neat little line where it is easy to see who's in 1st 2nd 3rd... ect. I don't know if it's because they are to lazy to keep up with who is where or if it's to hard to do with the combination of beer. Or it could be that the talent it takes to race on a road course and the talent it takes on a oval are completely different and they want to see the same people at the top of the field and it's not that way. Just because your good on an ovel dosn't mean you can drive on a road course.

harvick#1
13th August 2008, 18:17
:rolleyes:

yeah ok, the majority of the Nascar Cup drivers are very very good road course racers.

thats also why Kyle basically whooped the field and pulled away from 3 road course rinngers on the final restart :rolleyes:

I'm a big road racing fan and love everyform of autoracing, it still takes alot of skill to adapt to ovals, they may all look the same, but they are all different, look at how good all these ex-road course F1, IRL drivers are farin these days, JPM won on a road course primarly to fuel stradegy. even this week, only Ambrose and Montoya were the only ones to keep it together. Patrick, Ron, Boris were all off the pace.

I'm glad Nascar finally dumped Mexico City, the track was a wreck fest and the teams complained what a mess it was to try and actually get down. I think Nascar should give the date to Portland, so the teams can bring there Cali car, then head up north to Oregon and race

Saabaru
13th August 2008, 21:27
I think Nascar should give the date to Portland, so the teams can bring there Cali car, then head up north to Oregon and race
I'll second that! PIR is a great track.

call_me_andrew
13th August 2008, 23:22
Portland would be a nice track to visit. I'd say it doesn't have the facilities to host a Sprint Cup race, but then neither do Bristol Watkins Glen, and Michigan. *rimshot*

Even with a future COT, Nationwide cars still couldn't move directly from Fontana to Portland. After each race, the cars still have to be repainted and body damage repaired. So they would have to go all the way back to North Carolina, and then all the way back to Oregon. That's four days of driving and one day of working on the car (if you use the same car). This doesn't even cover the rain tire situation.

Either way, the Nationwide Series shouldn't be running so many races. The series should be where small teams thrive, but instead are getting choked out by a 35 race calender. It should be reduced to 30 races.

If Mexico goes, then Fontana (spring), Phoenix (fall), Chicago, and Texas (Fall) should go with it.

Lee Roy
14th August 2008, 02:56
Either way, the Nationwide Series shouldn't be running so many races. The series should be where small teams thrive, . . . .

Bingo. I miss the old days when the Nationwide series ran mostly on the shorter tracks, and mostly tracks that the Cup cars didn't run on.

ShiftingGears
14th August 2008, 03:09
You'll note that I specifically stated "in the US". Please try to stick to the subject.

What difference does that make? That just proves that street races were used by floundering series. In the US. Are you saying that because floundering series tried to use street races as a fallback, then NASCAR cannot have street races?

NASCAR has no need to try to pull the wool over some poor City Council's eyes to get races. They are able to attact enoungh paying customers to make it worthwhile for a real race track to hold their events.

Noone said they need to. Doesn't mean that they can't hold a street race if they wanted to.

Lee Roy
14th August 2008, 10:45
What difference does that make?
That just proves that street races were used by floundering series. In the US. Are you saying that because floundering series tried to use street races as a fallback, then NASCAR cannot have street races?

Noone said they need to. Doesn't mean that they can't hold a street race if they wanted to.

Most street races stink. They stink because you're usually trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Street courses are not good racing tracks. I watched some the of CART races on street courses and they were some of the worst races I ever saw on TV. They didn't even begin to compare to the quality of the CART races at Elkhart Lake or Mid Ohio. CART kept using street courses more and more due to their inability to attract fans to race tracks and wanted the Cities to subsidize their failing series, just like Tony George is going more and more to street races now.

If you want to use F1 as an example, then okay. Compare the racing at Spa Francorchamps or the new track at Turkey to Monaco. If Monaco did not have the long and storied history that it does along with the mystique, do you think F1 would be racing there?

Now, just think about 43 big heavy Sprint Cup Cars trying to get around a street course. That would be UGLY. Piss Poor racing at best. It's dumb to even consider, especially while there perfectly good race tracks out there where these cars do their best races dying for an event.

ShiftingGears
14th August 2008, 12:18
If you want to use F1 as an example, then okay. Compare the racing at Spa Francorchamps or the new track at Turkey to Monaco. If Monaco did not have the long and storied history that it does along with the mystique, do you think F1 would be racing there?

Monaco, no. Even though it is one of the best circuits out there. Singapore and Valencia are new street circuits, and they'll have passing opportunities, because they're wide enough with enough long straights.

Now, just think about 43 big heavy Sprint Cup Cars trying to get around a street course. That would be UGLY. Piss Poor racing at best. It's dumb to even consider, especially while there perfectly good race tracks out there where these cars do their best races dying for an event.

It depends on the type of street circuit. Same way that it depends on the type of road course. I think the idea has the potential to work for NASCAR. Even though I'd prefer to see more road courses first.

Lee Roy
14th August 2008, 12:38
Monaco, no. Even though it is one of the best circuits out there.

Best circuits? If Monaco didn't have the history and mystique, the fans would be up in arms over F1 racing there. The racing there is really bad,

Singapore and Valencia are new street circuits, and they'll have passing opportunities, because they're wide enough with enough long straights.

I think I'd hold off on my predictions until after they race on those circuits.

ShiftingGears
14th August 2008, 12:55
Best circuits? If Monaco didn't have the history and mystique, the fans would be up in arms over F1 racing there. The racing there is really bad,

It's a unique challenge for the drivers. I think its fantastic.

carracing
16th August 2008, 20:15
NASCAR tells us lots of crap. A bunch of it is BS, as we know.

Amen to that. Anything "officially" from NASCAR pretty much means it will have some sort of political spin on it... SO frustrating!

oldhippie
17th August 2008, 16:46
i never liked the mexico race anyway and i say adios mexico :)