PDA

View Full Version : New Broadcast team ?

martini99
28th July 2008, 13:20
I watched an IRL race finaly, only because it was Edmonton and a road course . Maybe i have missed something but I was amazed to hear a new broadcast team, gone were the boring carnaval sounding announcers who just dwelled on Danica. With Varsha in the booth and Jon B in the pit it was pleasing to watch the race. Now if the only had turbo V-8's............

BoilerIMS
28th July 2008, 15:01
Varsha? I think you meant Bob Jenkins.

Bob did okay considering he hasn't called IRL races this year (maybe at Indy? I do not recall) and did not sound familiar with the car/team/driver combos. Overall a decent job, though.

drewdawg727
28th July 2008, 15:36
Jenkins made several mistakes on the coverage...as well as sounded like he would rather swallow thumbtacks than be there.

jimispeed
28th July 2008, 20:30
Jon Beekhuis was great!!

Dr. Krogshöj
28th July 2008, 20:58
Beekhuis was great. Jenkins sounded like a droid. I don't know how Brienne sounded because I hit the mute button as she started speaking. I don't have any impressions about Goodyear. Was he there?

The instant classic
28th July 2008, 21:18
i always like bob jenkins in nascar but he really needs someone to lead him along and goodyear wasnt the guy to do that,cuz hes not the main broadcast guy so if they had someone to lead bob he wolud have been fine,
but keep goodyear hes awsome get rid of reid, we really need paul page back

champcarray
28th July 2008, 22:02
I have to admit that I found the Jenkins/Goodyear duo very uninspiring. It was great, however, to have Jon Beekhuis back.

ACTF_ZETT
28th July 2008, 23:10
I thought the Jenkins / Goodyear coverage of the race was the worst race coverage I have seen, ever for an IRL race. It was pathedic.

I like Bob Jenkins, but his voice belongs on the radio, or on the track PA system. I cannot stand this broadcast team. It is absolutely horrible....

The poor broadcasts are holding back growth of this series in my opinion. I am a big IRL fan and I have trouble watching the races listening to their commentary.

They better sign a better TV deal next year so we can at least have a pre-race show. I want to see the anthem, the prayer, I want drivers interviewed before and after the race. The races end right now with no interviews except the winner. Absolutely dissapointing every week.

FORMULA-A
29th July 2008, 05:03
I thought the Jenkins / Goodyear coverage of the race was the worst race coverage I have seen, ever for an IRL race. It was pathedic.

I like Bob Jenkins, but his voice belongs on the radio, or on the track PA system. I cannot stand this broadcast team. It is absolutely horrible....

The poor broadcasts are holding back growth of this series in my opinion. I am a big IRL fan and I have trouble watching the races listening to their commentary.

They better sign a better TV deal next year so we can at least have a pre-race show. I want to see the anthem, the prayer, I want drivers interviewed before and after the race. The races end right now with no interviews except the winner. Absolutely dissapointing every week.

Thank you, I could not agree more, it was THE WORST RACE I have EVER heard announced. From the opening graphics actually COVERING UP the start of the race to never showing anything going on in the first 30 laps except the inexorable march of the SEISURE inducing PENSKE MOBILES. Horrible although the much maligned Pedigo girl actually came through when she talked about DANICA ignoring Kyle Moyer's repeated requests to her to let TK by. Just as all those DANICA fans were going "oh poor thing her radio must be out." Brianne came back on and said that "Kyle DOESN'T THINK SO..." Hah good for Brianne.

Bruce D
29th July 2008, 06:51
I couldn't agree more with Formula-A, it was terrible coverage, I'd rather have the other 2 back any day than those 2 morons! And hello, you could barely hear them over the cars, so the sound coverage was badly mixed, the director clearly has never done a car race before cos he seemed to think that we just need to watch the leader all day - how many overtaking moves (the few that there were on such a pathetically tight track) did we miss? At least 4 if not more.

And IRL fan is right, we need Paul Page back again, that guy was excellent, even with Danny Sullivan alongside. Last I checked he was playing with snowmobiles...

We actually need a whole bunch of new commentators who actually WATCH the race happening rather than chat about endless crap and miss all the action on the track. At least Lee and Rice get a bit more excited when something happened...

speeddurango
29th July 2008, 09:17
There's no excuses for Bon Jenkins for doing bad, he's calling all sessions of all races on radio, and he was plainly bad. He was zero informative and. The fact is he's at the race track but it just sounds like he's not even watching the monitor when he commentates, well, he did not really make many mistakes it's true, but that's just because he's really not talking about anything really.

DBell
29th July 2008, 13:13
I can live with Jenkins if they get a director who has any idea what so ever about what's happening on the track. We got a race full of single car looks and almost NO passing or contested positions. Bush league and clueless at best.

Very good point. A director that has some knowledge of racing would be a big help. It was horrible.

dataman1
29th July 2008, 14:46
I can live with Jenkins if they get a director who has any idea what so ever about what's happening on the track. We got a race full of single car looks and almost NO passing or contested positions. Bush league and clueless at best.

You hit the nail on the head. No matter who is in the booth or the pits, without video coverage that captures the action, the whole thing is junk. The booth guys many time have nothing but screens in front of them with which to do their commentary. If the director follows the dull stuff the commentary will be dull.

That said, Bring Back VARSHA! I know he is with Speed/Fox but I can wish. I like the trio that covers the F1 show and they are doing it from a studio.

Easy Drifter
29th July 2008, 14:59
I have noticed all year that they blather on and on about inanities rather than what is going on and it does seem to getting moreso. Comments about the TV director are spot on. Sitting in front of the TV you can see a situation developing and they either cut to commercial or to another car. When I can watch the race on ABC we do get the side by side although on my 28" screen I find it hard to follow. When I have to watch TSN they do not do side by side so find the race even harder to follow.
When you compare the coverage to the F1 races with Varsha, Hobbs and Matchett it just shows how poor the coverage is especially when you consider the F1 team are usually not at the track, except for Peter Windsor.

Rogelio
29th July 2008, 15:24
I did not watch the race, but why was Bob Jenkins doing the race to begin with? I personally think that Jenkins does a decent/good job. Is Jenkins in there because the ICS realizes that the other guy (?) is not inspiring?

I am glad to see Beekhuis back. I was a big fan of Derek Daly as well, even though many disliked him. Daly made the race exicting through his passionite dialogue. I have watched several races this year and I will admit that the Goodyear and the other announcer (?) are nothing short of boring.

bblocker68
29th July 2008, 16:00
Marty and the "A" crew were doing the Nationwide race. I think not having the guys that know racing made the show pretty inadequate. From how it looked, it was all local area freelance guys.

Mad_Hatter
29th July 2008, 16:07
Awww, come now. At least we didn't hear about Dan Wheldon's :disturb: .

:laugh:

Dave Brock
29th July 2008, 20:43

Kind of reminds one of the the old CCWS TV "narrow"casts...
the switcher was always a trainee and the race was a parade.
Why were there never these types of reactions when it was CCWS' problem ?

9 out of 10 "members" here wouldn't know a great race if it ran over them..
because 9 out of 10 here are TV fans who let the media supply all the facts...participation in the sport and attending a REAL RACE would raise the level of intelligence here to the point of unrecognizable.

Frankly, I can't deal with media groupies who have never dirtied their hands with anything north of their TV's remote control.

garyshell
30th July 2008, 03:42
Frankly, I can't deal with media groupies who have never dirtied their hands with anything north of their TV's remote control.

And we can't deal with sanctimonious, self absorbed, know it alls. So don't let the door hit you in the ass as you leave.

Gary

CARTDM15
31st July 2008, 01:47
It sounds like Bob Jenkins is read from a script.He's not watching the action on the track at all.

garyshell
31st July 2008, 04:29
It sounds like Bob Jenkins is read from a script.He's not watching the action on the track at all.

That's absolutely correct, he is not watching the action on the track. No TV announcer ever does. They watch the action fed to them on their monitor(s) by the director. Have you ever gone to a race and listened in on the TV crew's communications channel on a scanner? Any time I go to Mid Ohio for a televised race, I always scan for their channel. It is very enlightening and informative. You get to hear a LOT of info that never makes it to the broadcast. Switching between that and the race control channel gives you the best indication of what is going on all around the track and pits.

Gary

dataman1
31st July 2008, 14:04
Which takes us right back to my post #9 above. :D

And my post #14

garyshell
31st July 2008, 15:29
Which takes us right back to my post #9 above. :D

And my post #14

Yep, it was pretty obvious that CARTDM15, either didn't see your messages or ignored them.

Gary

Osiris333
31st July 2008, 15:32
Goodyear blows, he has to go. So does Jenkins. There are really only two choices out there, Paul Page or Bob Varsha. As for color, how about Tommy Kendal and Parker Johnstone? Jon from the pits on tech stuff. As to the female pit reporter, I nominate Ursula Mayes.

http://www.jeremymayes.com/uploaded_images/ursala-mayes-728543.jpg

If only they allowed bikinis in the pits during a race....

dataman1
31st July 2008, 15:57
Ah yes, bikinis in the pits. Such fond memories of Surfers.

theblackflagger
1st August 2008, 04:24
I realize that Marty Reid did do pit reporting for CART, but he HAS to go. Reid and not-so-Goodyear are the reasons why i'm glad I usually work during the IRL races. Here's my "Dream Team"

Lead Announcer:
Paul Page
or
Mike King

Driver Analyst:
Paul Tracy
or
James Hinchcliffe

Technical Analyst
Barry Green (only if PT ends up in the booth)

weeflyonthewall
1st August 2008, 07:20
Which Paul Page? I prefer the one who took time to say the driver names correctly and not sound like an uneducated idiot in the booth. Back when he took time to prepare for the broadcasts he was great. Tommy Kendall and Parker Johnstone -- BIG YES!! Bill Adam and Jon B. also make a good team.

theblackflagger
7th August 2008, 18:25
OK, since Versus has the IRL coverage next season (yes it sucks), how about this group

Host:
Bob Roll

Announcers:
Phil Ligget
Paul Sherwin

Pit Reporters:
Jamie Little
Tommy Kendall
Jon Behikkus

Dr. Krogshöj
8th August 2008, 20:46
Question. Who did color with Paul Page for CART on ESPN in 2001?

jimispeed
9th August 2008, 00:45

Derek Daly??

fugariracing
9th August 2008, 01:28

Parker Johnstone. He was there from 99-01 and did a fairly good job of spicing up the broadcast, he wasn't the dour humorless and undeniably boring Scott Goodyear.

Daly joined the SPEED team as a pit reporter for 2002 when it was their most recent best announce team, Varsha, Kendall and Scott Pruett in the booth with Daly and Calvin Fish in the pits. Talk about something that wasn't broken but got fixed...

Chris R
9th August 2008, 02:50
Broadcast team should include Tommy Kendall for sure.

jimispeed
9th August 2008, 07:06
Parker Johnstone. He was there from 99-01 and did a fairly good job of spicing up the broadcast, he wasn't the dour humorless and undeniably boring Scott Goodyear.

Daly joined the SPEED team as a pit reporter for 2002 when it was their most recent best announce team, Varsha, Kendall and Scott Pruett in the booth with Daly and Calvin Fish in the pits. Talk about something that wasn't broken but got fixed...

I couldn't agree more! That was a great team of personalities!!!