PDA

View Full Version : Carbuerated Cars - Do they have o2 sensors?

wh33t
26th July 2008, 21:08
Just curious if Carbuerated cars have o2 sensors. Or if there is sort of gas/air ratio measurement on a carb'd motor.

Rollo
27th July 2008, 00:22
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question257.htm

The incredibly crap 1989 Hyundai Excel which I had the misfortune to own had both carburettors and oxygen sensors. Fuel injection provides a more exact measurement of petrol through the engine, hence the reason why it's used for the most part.

What sort of car do you have that still has carburettors? I wager it's at least 20 years old.

wh33t
27th July 2008, 01:02
I don't actually own a carb'd car. Both of my Toyota's are Fuel Injected. But I was thinking about getting an older 1980 2 door corolla and i was curious if they had o2 sensors in them.

leopard
28th July 2008, 07:33
In case they don't have it, we can make the air-fuel mixture when fueling the car at gas station. :)

JSH
1st August 2008, 21:27
The incredibly crap 1989 Hyundai Excel which I had the misfortune to own had both carburettors and oxygen sensors.

Are you sure that wasn't a Single Point Fuel Injection system?

Rollo
4th August 2008, 00:06
Absolutely. I had an X1 not an X2.

Mine was the carby engine that came out of the 1st Gen Mitsubishi Mirage otherwise sold as a Colt in Australia. The 1990 Excel had the EFI motor with the red covers over the top of the engine. Whereas mine had the Mitsubishi "cat intestines" at the front.

Hondo
4th August 2008, 02:14
I don't actually own a carb'd car. Both of my Toyota's are Fuel Injected. But I was thinking about getting an older 1980 2 door corolla and i was curious if they had o2 sensors in them.

My 1984 Trans Am had an electronic feedback Quadrajet carb on it. There was no O2 sensor on the carb just a mixture metering device that worked in part off the O2 sensor in the exhaust system. Supposedly the car wouldn't run properly without that carb and the sensor hook-ups but it ran fine with an Edelbrock carb with no feedback. Ran so well, the stock distributor was replaced with an Accel unit and coil and ran even better. That led to other modifications and a very nimble Trans Am, especially after the suspension was redone and the car was lowered another 1 1/2 inches. Cool.

leopard
4th August 2008, 07:50
My understanding standard carburetor engine is not equipped with such sensor. Maintenance like tune-up is to adjust the ideal composition of air and fuel in the combustion chamber by screw or air adjuster. Screw it up to give less air and otherwise to give more air into the mixture. It decides the rich or lean mixture, besides it felt on how the engine run, the mixture can be visually identified on the exhaust and on the spark plug.

Additional sensor can be attached to the original system. They were suspected to maximize the combustion system, increase engine efficiency, better mileage and less emission. Not sure how this additional instrument works but they may be in acting of such sensor.

After all, fuel injection is produced to cover this minus character of carburetor engine.