PDA

View Full Version : Motor fuel prices

Mark
22nd July 2008, 08:50
Asda and Morrisons have announced they are cutting the price of a litre of petrol and ASDA will be selling for 113.9 at all its forecourts.

Currently the lowest price I find is 115.9 but I can get that to be 111.9 with various money off loyalty cards etc. But hopefully we should see some savings soon as the oil price goes down slightly.

MrJan
22nd July 2008, 09:40
Asda and Morrisons have announced they are cutting the price of a litre of petrol and ASDA will be selling for 113.9 at all its forecourts.

Currently the lowest price I find is 115.9 but I can get that to be 111.9 with various money off loyalty cards etc. But hopefully we should see some savings soon as the oil price goes down slightly.

Swines. I have to drive 15 miles to get to an Asda, not even sure if they have a petrol station :(

As for 116/l, you ******* :p : I'm looking at 120 wherever I go. Hopefully this drop will kick in immediately, I;m fairly close to having the light on and I could really do with the extra quid or so that I''l gain if I fill up at the lower price ;)

Daniel
22nd July 2008, 10:30
Buying supermarket "fuel" is false economy. Supermarket fuel is rubbish. Hopefully Shell, BP and the rest follow suit though.

Mark
22nd July 2008, 10:35
As for 116/l, you ******* :p : I'm looking at 120 wherever I go. Hopefully this drop will kick in immediately, I;m fairly close to having the light on and I could really do with the extra quid or so that I''l gain if I fill up at the lower price ;)

I'd get onto petrolprices.com at 120 you are being ripped!

Mark
22nd July 2008, 10:36
Shell, BP and the rest follow suit though.

Supermarket fuel is just the same, just because you had a one off issue..

Anyway Shell stations are quite often competitive with supermarkets. Can't say the same of BP etc.

Daniel
22nd July 2008, 10:39
http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/article.html?in_article_id=418125&in_page_id=2 I've never had an issue. Thousands of others have had problems though :)
At least Tesco paid for the damages. Not like in other cases.

Mark
22nd July 2008, 10:55
A one of issue that happened well over a year ago. And it could have just as easily happened to Shell or BP as to Tesco. To put it into some context, if some supermarket brand corn flakes were a bit stale once does that automatically mean all brands except Kellogs are universally rubbish?

MrJan
22nd July 2008, 11:01
I'd get onto petrolprices.com at 120 you are being ripped!

Cheapest in 10 mile radius will only save me 2p a litre and for the effort involved it's just not a decent enough saving. If I fill up then I'm looking at about 45 litres but I do about 35 to the gallon (think that works out at about 7.5 miles per litre). So unless that cheaper petrol station is within 3 miles of me then I actually end up spending more money just to think I've got a saving (although it's more likely that my maths is just wrong :D )

I have also heard bad things about supermarket fuel but have never had a problem. THere is an Esso about 100 yards from the Sainsbury's near me and they always have the same price so generally head there. The only reason people ever use supermarkets is just for ease.

Iain
22nd July 2008, 11:04
Local Morrisons to here was 111.9p for unleaded last night, 125.9p for diesel. Didn't go as far as Asda, so don't know what they were charging. I definitely had noticed the prices stabilising over the past few weeks.

Mark
22nd July 2008, 11:06
Cheapest in 10 mile radius will only save me 2p a litre and for the effort involved it's just not a decent enough saving. If I fill up then I'm looking at about 45 litres but I do about 35 to the gallon (think that works out at about 7.5 miles per litre). So unless that cheaper petrol station is within 3 miles of me then I actually end up spending more money just to think I've got a saving (although it's more likely that my maths is just wrong :D )

Sounds about right. It's surprising how they can differ in area. e.g. Around Sunderland then 115 is the prevalent rate, down in York it's 118.

I have also heard bad things about supermarket fuel but have never had a problem.

It's the old "it costs more so it MUST be better" nonsense.

Mark
22nd July 2008, 11:07
Local Morrisons to here was 111.9p for unleaded last night, 125.9p for diesel. Didn't go as far as Asda, so don't know what they were charging. I definitely had noticed the prices stabilising over the past few weeks.

I'll be off to Morrisons tomorrow then. Lucky because I was going to refuel this morning but couldn't be bothered, looks like my laziness might have saved me a few quid!

MrJan
22nd July 2008, 11:15

Nah, actually talk of the diesel clogging a mate's engine, or something like that.

Like I say, I'll fill up wherever is convenient and seeing as Esso is the same price then I may as well go there, usually no queue either. But if I go shopping then it's far easier just to pop in on the way out rather than driving down the road, especially as the car seems to move about no matter whose petrol I use ;) :)

dc10
22nd July 2008, 12:48
I'll be off to Morrisons tomorrow then. Lucky because I was going to refuel this morning but couldn't be bothered, looks like my laziness might have saved me a few quid!

That's a good price for diesel - its £1.30 around here and unfortunately I filled up only 2 days ago - blast.

Daniel
22nd July 2008, 13:34

Well you're the one taking the risk :) Not me :)

Drew
22nd July 2008, 23:04
113.9p at Asda here :)

Dave B
23rd July 2008, 08:11
Tesco haven't jumped on the bandwagon yet but I've got a 5p off coupon which, if I chose to use it today, would bring it down to 113.9 .

Hopefully their price reduction will kick in before I need to refuel: at the moment I'm playing Clarkson's game of petrol guage roulette!

MrJan
23rd July 2008, 10:39
Tesco haven't jumped on the bandwagon yet but I've got a 5p off coupon which, if I chose to use it today, would bring it down to 113.9 .

Hopefully their price reduction will kick in before I need to refuel: at the moment I'm playing Clarkson's game of petrol guage roulette!

I love playing that game. The light first came on around Monday evening, although I've only done about 10 miles since then :D

Mark
23rd July 2008, 13:54
Morrisons was 113.9 and Shell 116.9 but with my discounts Shell worked out cheaper. Hopefully Shell will bring their prices down too!

Drew
23rd July 2008, 16:08
Tesco are now 114.9 here, so it's all good news !

J4MIE
24th July 2008, 01:22
Tesco were 115.9 here the other day but hope it's gone down, I have 2 5p vouchers to use and I am off to Leeds for the weekend!!

Mark
24th July 2008, 08:20
Morrisons in the North East are at 111.9, but none of them are less than a half hour detour away so it's not worth it. The oil price has reduced further today so hopefully we'll see further drops at the pumps.

GridGirl
24th July 2008, 08:32
I paid 113.9p yesterday, so a full tank for me has now fallen below £50.

Mark
24th July 2008, 08:38
You have the same fuel tank as me, and yet even when I run the guage down to the red I can still only get in £40's worth, even at 116.9 :s

GridGirl
24th July 2008, 08:51
The most I've paid for fuel was £52 but I had run my tank down to fumes and that was when fuel was about 119p. I only managed to put £50 in two or three times. Gone are the days when I first had the damn thing and I struggled to put £30 quid worth of fuel in it.

Mark do you have the same tires as me, I need someone to blow my front drivers side tyre up. Me no comprende, I'm going to have to get my manuel out and lunch time I think :s

Mark
24th July 2008, 09:03
The most I've paid for fuel was £52 but I had run my tank down to fumes and that was when fuel was about 119p. I only managed to put £50 in two or three times. Gone are the days when I first had the damn thing and I struggled to put £30 quid worth of fuel in it.

Mark do you have the same tires as me, I need someone to blow my front drivers side tyre up. Me no comprende, I'm going to have to get my manuel out and lunch time I think :s

Nope, mine are 15" yours will be 17". But there's nothing to understand about tyre pressures, the most difficult part is looking in your user manual to find out what pressure you need, it's usually around 28-30PSI, I inflate mine to 30PSI.

Then you go to Sainsbury's select 30PSI on the little machine, take the cap off the tyre and put the hoze on until it goes beep,beep then put the cap back on and repeat x3 :p . Should only take a couple of minutes to do all 4 (no point in just doing one)

MrJan
24th July 2008, 09:54
Tyre pressures are quite often written on the sills of one of the front doors (at least mine are :p : )

I had to fill up this week but it was before I saw anywhere drop and it was at 119.9 so cost over £50. I've had it a few times as I think the tank holds 11 or 12 gallons and is usually in the red zone before I fill it up :S

Carmadhatter
24th July 2008, 10:11
Hey everyone its good to see so many small car owners. i own a Ford Ka and as a student it has been a really cost-effective choice. it has pretty good fuel economy and with careful gear change it does a decent mpg (for London) around 50 mpg. with rising fuel costs i think it is important to use the right fuel as illustrated by Shell's latest ad campaign...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=77sjc56XTDI

I think high quality fuel definitely goes further...any thoughts on the best fuel to use?

donKey jote
24th July 2008, 10:28
I think high quality fuel definitely goes further...any thoughts on the best fuel to use?

LPG :D

other than that, if you want enhanced performance you can always use fuel additives... (NH2)2CO is a particularly cheap one :p :

Mark
24th July 2008, 10:36

The cheapest one. The expensive fuels do give you better milage but usually not sufficient to justify the extra cost.

stevie_gerrard
24th July 2008, 12:12
tesco was 113.9 last night when me and the girlfriend parked there for the cinema. Has anyone heard something about a 2p tax cut from Alistair Darling for petrol? is that what this drop in price is or is it just supermarket competition as it normally is?

Mark
24th July 2008, 12:31
tesco was 113.9 last night when me and the girlfriend parked there for the cinema. Has anyone heard something about a 2p tax cut from Alistair Darling for petrol? is that what this drop in price is or is it just supermarket competition as it normally is?

No cut, he's just promised not to put it up as planned. The recent drops have nothing to do with tax.

Motorfreq
24th July 2008, 12:31
Cheers guys i have to admit i used to be sucked in by the more expensive fuels believing them to be better purely because of their cost, but with my student allowance i need to be a bit more vigilant!! I am definitely going to seek the cheapest fuel from now on and perhaps even try to make my own (I have a lot of spare time).

Mark
24th July 2008, 12:36
even try to make my own (I have a lot of spare time).

Good luck with that. Problem is even if you try to make diesel from the likes of sunflower oil the raw ingredients are higher than the pump price anyway. It's a good plan if you can make it economic tho as a certain amount is tax free.

Mark
24th July 2008, 20:25
Btw for gridgirls puncture. You can take it to any tyre place and they will fix it up in under 10 mins. I had a puncture and it was fixed for £7.

Daniel
24th July 2008, 20:40
Btw for gridgirls puncture. You can take it to any tyre place and they will fix it up in under 10 mins. I had a puncture and it was fixed for £7.
Yes but she is a woman. They will tell her she needs a whole new axle or something :p

GridGirl
24th July 2008, 20:42
I know it can be fixed. There is a Quick Fit 1.5 miles away from where I work according to their website. I just need to find the time to get it fixed between work and going to the Lake District, thats the hard part. :s

I hope it don't go flat again before the morning. It'll mean I have to pump it back up again myself. :erm: :crazy: :eek:

Dave B
24th July 2008, 20:47
Kwik Fit? Just say "no" to whatever else they tell you needs fixing urgently, and you'll be fine.

I normally wouldn't touch them with a bargepole, but once had a puncture about 100 yards from their place so rather than faff about changing the wheel I limped in only to be told that my brake discs were dangerously worn (on a 4-year old car!) and that they would fail within a thousand miles. Needless to say I didn't take them up on their kind offer to relieve me of several hundred quid for new discs.

Brighton sea life centre has less sharks. In my opinion, lawyers.

GridGirl
24th July 2008, 20:57
Thanks for the advice guys. I already know not to be conned into buying a new tyre to replace the puncture or an additional front for the other side to match them up. :)

I'll also try to remember I dont need a new axel, whatever one of those is. ;)

Dave B
24th July 2008, 21:01
I'll also try to remember I dont need a new axel, whatever one of those is. ;)
He was in Guns'n'Roses :p

donKey jote
24th July 2008, 21:13
Yes but she is a woman. They will tell her she needs a whole new axle or something :p

or charge her 7 quid for a valve insert ? :p :

Daniel
24th July 2008, 21:44
or charge her 7 quid for a valve insert ? :p :

hahahahaha honest garage? Give me a break :p

GridGirl
24th July 2008, 22:34
I doubt a valve insert will do much for the screw that is currently in inbedded in the tyre. My family is having a bad car day, my dad rang me about an hours ago. 'Can you come help me, my car wont start and I need some jump leads'...

Mark
25th July 2008, 07:48
Always carry jump leads, you never know when you will need them :p

I had a nail in both my rear tyres for about 3 months :p .

GridGirl
25th July 2008, 18:00
Just took my car to Quickfit. Nice black skirt, tight fitted white shirt and killer heals and the guy let me have my repair for £5 rather than £17.50. ;) Ye of little faith boys, ye of little faith! :p

Alternatively he just wanted cash in hand to buy himself a drink tonight. Either way I'm not complaining. :D

Roamy
26th July 2008, 17:19
Just took my car to Quickfit. Nice black skirt, tight fitted white shirt and killer heals and the guy let me have my repair for £5 rather than £17.50. ;) Ye of little faith boys, ye of little faith! :p

Alternatively he just wanted cash in hand to buy himself a drink tonight. Either way I'm not complaining. :D

Could you please post pics ???

dc10
26th July 2008, 17:54
I once took my old Montego estate to a local Charlie Browns as it needed the last section of the exhaust remounting. They put it up on the lift thingy and promptly told me I needed a complete new exhaust system and two new tyres. I told them where to go..... I may be a woman but I'm not stupid. In my younger days I helped take out and replace a mini engine and gearbox, changed points, did some respraying, among other things.

allycat228
26th July 2008, 22:54
try living in cumbria 119.9 p or 132.9 diesel i am so lucky to live in a town that the same owner owns the 3 garages and its approx 16 miles to the nearest garage

GridGirl
27th July 2008, 21:30
I've been in Cumbria this weekend in the Lakes and I managed to fill up for 116.9p before coming home. I didn't think fuel prices were that bad. :)

Mark
28th July 2008, 08:30
111.9 this morning at Shell.

janneppi
28th July 2008, 14:53
1.469 Eur per litre in a nearby station, and that's the lowest I've seen it in almost two months. :(

Roamy
28th July 2008, 17:23
My new hero T. Boone Pickens has brought it to the attention of those listening that we send 700 billion annually to the middle east - Thank you very much democrats that have killed Bush's energy bill for 8 years running. We would have had our own oil coming on line now.

Just maybe the shieks's diamond studded mercedes has irritated the lining of our colon so we may do something except follow your lead and keep bent over!!!

Mark
15th September 2008, 11:34
Oil prices have been steadily going down over the past month, now well below $100/barrel. And yet, petrol stations are putting their prices up. My usual stop has gone from 107.9p to 108.9p in the last week.

MrJan
15th September 2008, 13:35
Think we've been about 111.9 for unleaded in the SW.

Does the extra penny make a big difference Mark? :p :

Daniel
15th September 2008, 13:47
I would have said that a penny rise is part of normal variation in prices. In Australia prices could go up and down something like 10c depending on what day it was in Australia

Azumanga Davo
15th September 2008, 14:15
I would have said that a penny rise is part of normal variation in prices. In Australia prices could go up and down something like 10c depending on what day it was in Australia

Or whenever BP, Caltex et al. felt like it. :p :

Prices have eased slightly to 140c per litre.

schmenke
15th September 2008, 18:50
The price of fuel herer has jumped about 6 cents per litre over night. Hurricane Ike is to be blamed, although the price per barrel has dropped significantly :rolleyes:

Around here "supermarket" or discount stations are supplied by the exact same refineries, indeed the exact same tanks, as Shell, Esso, etc. :mark:

rah
15th September 2008, 21:59
The price of fuel herer has jumped about 6 cents per litre over night. Hurricane Ike is to be blamed, although the price per barrel has dropped significantly :rolleyes:

Around here "supermarket" or discount stations are supplied by the exact same refineries, indeed the exact same tanks, as Shell, Esso, etc. :mark:

I thought all your oil would be domestic. Are there no refineries in Canada?

Mark
16th September 2008, 09:48
I thought all your oil would be domestic. Are there no refineries in Canada?

That doesn't matter. Most UK fuel comes from UK refineries yet when Katrina affected the US refineries the UK price went up.

schmenke
16th September 2008, 14:51
Yep, none of our petroleum comes from the Texas area, but somehow the prices at our pumps are connected :rolleyes:

veeten
16th September 2008, 22:21
they are connected by one thing: Greed. :dozey:

janneppi
23rd November 2008, 11:03
1.469 Eur per litre in a nearby station, and that's the lowest I've seen it in almost two months. :(
1.166 per litre, lower than last year already. Go economic downturn, go. :)

MrJan
23rd November 2008, 11:09
Saw it for 90.9 yesterday. Must be well below 90p in some parts of the country :eek:

Daniel
23rd November 2008, 11:35
Saw it for 90.9 yesterday. Must be well below 90p in some parts of the country :eek:
89.9p at Morrisons :)

markabilly
23rd November 2008, 14:54
1.166 per litre, lower than last year already. Go economic downturn, go. :)

?????
only cause u still got a job, but when time comes to ship your job to India or china so folks that can go to F1 races, weeelll you won't be having that smilie on your face... ,

janneppi
23rd November 2008, 15:25
Well my job isn't going to be to India any time soon But trust me, I'm not happy seeing 4/5 of available job oppurtunities disappear from the work market within a two week time.

That doesn't mean I can't I smile while filling the petrol tank once a month. Smiling does good for your health ;)

donKey jote
23rd November 2008, 16:46
why isn't LPG going down ? :mad: :p :

Super is 1.17 here, down from 1.46 a few weeks ago
LPG is still .70

Dave B
23rd November 2008, 17:11
90.9 this morning but a 5p/L voucher eases the pain

306 Cosworth
23rd November 2008, 17:49
Still only 89.9 here for Petrol and 104.9 fir Diesel.

Hopefully when my rally season kicks back into life next year it'll be 85.9 at the most!!

Brown, Jon Brow
23rd November 2008, 19:33
It will be good to watch the litres going up faster than the pounds when I fill up next :D

GridGirl
23rd November 2008, 20:57
I've had my current car for just over 2 years. When I first got it a full tank of fuel from emply cost me around £28. At it's worst I had a couple of tanks of fuel that cost £50 but I just managed to fill up tonight for £33. It's not what it was but it's getting better. :D

Fred Basset
24th November 2008, 00:23
$1.85 for a gal here..

Cost me $21 to fill the big V8 truck up :dog:

Mark
24th November 2008, 08:57
Diesel for me now, which knowing my luck will end up more expensive than petrol!

Dave B
24th November 2008, 10:28
Let's see what our esteemed chancellor announces later today, most sources are predicting that VAT will drop to 15% which will certainly help matters if the retailers pass it on.

Valve Bounce
24th November 2008, 11:54

The BP at Marine PDE and Dickens in Elwood was selling Unleaded for $1.13 a litre today, and I expect it to go lower on cheap Tuesday tomorrow.

Does this help?

GridGirl
24th November 2008, 13:03
Let's see what our esteemed chancellor announces later today, most sources are predicting that VAT will drop to 15% which will certainly help matters if the retailers pass it on.

Indeed but do you really think a £2.50 saving on every £100's worth of fuel will actually be noticeable to the average Mr Smith driver? :s It suppose it will help the haulage companies though.

MrJan
24th November 2008, 13:12
It's an extra pint for every 2 tanks of fuel, I may not be called Mr Smith but I'll bloody recognise it :D :D

Mark
24th November 2008, 13:54
Indeed but do you really think a £2.50 saving on every £100's worth of fuel will actually be noticeable to the average Mr Smith driver? :s It suppose it will help the haulage companies though.

If diesel goes down from £1.05 to £1.03 or lower, as it should do, then, yes I would certainly notice it straight away!

In fact I'd instantly drive 100 miles per day more, just because of it :D

Dave B
24th November 2008, 15:21
There's also the rumour that the proposed rise in VED will be scrapped or postponed, as well as a further postponement of the fuel duty escalator.

Goodness knows how we'll pay for this in a few years' time, but for now it looks like happy days :)

schmenke
24th November 2008, 18:29
I'd rather pay a little extra at the pump if it means a more secure job market :mark:

GridGirl
24th November 2008, 19:25
If diesel goes down from £1.05 to £1.03 or lower, as it should do, then, yes I would certainly notice it straight away!

In fact I'd instantly drive 100 miles per day more, just because of it :D

You'd seriously drive 100 miles a day if you made around a £.02p per litre saving on fuel? :p At todays petrol price of £.899 the VAT saving if indeed passed on will reduce fuel to £.880. I''ll end up saving a whopping £.63p per tank of fuel which will be just about enough to buy myself a bar of chocolate while I'm paying. If I filled my tank up twice a week, every week for the next year I'd only save £65.52 which would probably buy enough fuel to drive me about 600 miles. :s

Valve Bounce
25th November 2008, 00:27
I went past the Seven-Eleven station this morning and they had unleaded down to Aud$1.089 per litre. With my Coles Supermarket and my Mastercard coupons, I should be able to get Shell unleaded down to the dollar mark this arvo. That's a helluva drop down from around $1.60 per litre a few months ago.

Mark
25th November 2008, 08:01
Well as we know now, the VAT cut was not passed on to fuel prices!

leopard
25th November 2008, 09:25
I think so, or perhaps the tax is conditionally applicable for the different country. We still enjoy fuel the price of which is not totally free from govt subsidy, so tax is unlikely to be inclusive in the price.

stevie_gerrard
9th December 2008, 13:01
Diesel down to under a pound a litre at most major supermarkets :up:

Mark
9th December 2008, 14:08
Trust me to fill up a day too soon eh. Diesel everywhere is 99p now but I paid 102.9 last night :( Ah well :p

J4MIE
9th December 2008, 20:01
You'll have to drive around Gateshead this evening for a while Mark and then you will be able to fill it up again :up:

driveace
9th December 2008, 20:12
Ken morrison has petrol at 88.9 and derv at 99.9 in his supermarket in Skipton
My claim to fame I taught Kens daughter to drive

jim mcglinchey
22nd December 2008, 22:08
US light, sweet crude at $39 / barrel. Its nice to know that OPEC cant get the price back up by cutting production. Thats one good thing to come out of this.

leopard
30th December 2008, 04:43
Fuel price/barrel touched its lowest level, their price on retail went down consequently, it is now to switch the car to the bigger engine car that usually offers better comfortability.

J4MIE
2nd January 2009, 00:56
Unleaded 82.9p here now :up:

Valve Bounce
2nd January 2009, 03:14
Unleaded 82.9p here now :up:

Caltex Unleaded down to 99cents per litre at Wodonga on Christmas eve. With my red Woolworths card, I get an extra 4 cents per litre off. I think that works down to around 40p per litre.

gloomyDAY
2nd January 2009, 05:56
$1.75/gal. for 87 octane unleaded at my local ARCO (BP).

Is this good or bad?

Valve Bounce
4th January 2009, 05:20
$1.75/gal. for 87 octane unleaded at my local ARCO (BP).

Is this good or bad?

Sensational. The rest of us can only dream of such prices.

GridGirl
4th January 2009, 17:05
I paid 82.9p at Tesco yesterday. :)

donKey jote
4th January 2009, 17:53
With the pound down roughly 40% to around 100 Eurocents, both diesel and petrol are actually cheaper in the UK now than on the continent :crazy: :s hock:
Aren't you glad you never joined the Euro :laugh:

What are you paying for LPG ?

Drew
4th January 2009, 18:52
With the pound down roughly 40% to around 100 Eurocents, both diesel and petrol are actually cheaper in the UK now than on the continent :crazy: :s hock:
Aren't you glad you never joined the Euro :laugh:

Good luck finding an LPG filling station, there aren't many down in Devon!

It's only cheaper to people who live in Eurozone countries :p :

jim mcglinchey
4th January 2009, 20:11

LPG is still about 57 pence / litre. The price has not dropped at all, in line with the fall in oil prices. Still its not as bad as the profitering on CalorGas. I bought a 25lb gas bottle for a heater recently and that was £22.50. I couldve bought about 70 litres of home heating oil for that, or about 75 kg of coal.

donKey jote
4th January 2009, 21:27
Here in Germany LPG has dropped from .70€ to around .62€ , while petrol has gone from ~1.45€ to ~1.10€.
So much for LPG prices being coupled to oil prices :s
Anyway I'm still laughing, just not as loud :D