PDA

View Full Version : Driver of the Day (German GP Edition)

gloomyDAY
20th July 2008, 14:26
Lewis.

Carry on.

Robinho
20th July 2008, 14:28
yep, i'm with you on that one

iJones
20th July 2008, 14:29
Piquet.

yodasarmpit
20th July 2008, 14:29
No doubt about it, Lewis followed by Junior.

ioan
20th July 2008, 14:31
Hamilton, no question about it!

truefan72
20th July 2008, 14:34
Lewis followed very very closely by Nelson

brilliant overtaking maneavers by Lewis
and I am so very proud of NPJr for his performance today. Perhaps he has now turned his season around, not to mention massive points for my Fantasy GP!!!!

Viktory
20th July 2008, 14:37
Lewis definitely, Piquet did very well too.

pino
20th July 2008, 14:37
Lewis for me too :up:

SparkyKate
20th July 2008, 14:41
Piquet, just for being so good in an inferior car and so much better then his world champion team mate

Ham, for a deserved win

paulcrazy
20th July 2008, 14:43
Heikki Kovalainen

wedge
20th July 2008, 14:46
Lewis - that race was his to lose and I think he's answered some questions - can he turn a race, create something from nothing? Yes.

Fantastic job from Piquet to get second.

Heidfeld also did a job of gambling like Lewis. Were the softs crap of long stints because Nick easily kept up with Massa.

gloomyDAY
20th July 2008, 14:49
I'm not sure what the big hype is for Jr.

2nd just happened to fall on his lap.

wedge
20th July 2008, 14:57

You do realise that the Ferrari is a superior car to the Renault, don't you?

superocean
20th July 2008, 15:00
Lewis then maybe nick for being quick and then Vettle for keeping Fernando behind him. Jr just drove and got lucky. If Sutil was on a 1 stop, he could have been in the point just as well.

gloomyDAY
20th July 2008, 15:01
You do realise that the Ferrari is a superior car to the Renault, don't you?Yes, but I think something was wrong with Massa's car.

SparkyKate
20th July 2008, 15:02

He beat 15 other cars, including many better cars on paper to come second, his own team mate, a two times world champ no less, could only manage 11th, Massa couldn't catch him and until now his form has been off pretty much all season.

Nope, i have no idea why either :p

gloomyDAY
20th July 2008, 15:03
Driver's for me:

1) Lewis - A major setback turned into a race win.

2) Vettel - Scrapping with the big boys and not losing his nerve.

3) Jr. - No, just kidding.

VkmSpouge
20th July 2008, 15:04
It's either Lewis Hamilton or Nelson Piquet Jr. and frankly I don't want to split them. Both had very good drives in their own way and they would both be my drivers of the day.

gloomyDAY
20th July 2008, 15:07
He beat 15 other cars, including many better cars on paper to come second, his own team mate, a two times world champ no less, could only manage 11th, Massa couldn't catch him and until now his form has been off pretty much all season.

Nope, i have no idea why either :p Thanks to that caution.

How many cars did Jr. pass on merit?

SGWilko
20th July 2008, 15:23
Thanks to that caution.

Indeed. The SC came at the right time, so effectively, Piquet's single stop was almost free in terms of time & positions lost.

Alonso had red mist today, showing some of that 2007 vintage stupidity.

Massa had to take the line and therefore let Lewis by as there was clearly a lot of brake dust everytime Massa was on the brakes - he probably was running out of anchors, and would not have made the corner from so far off-line.

At least he tried to make amends. Twice now he has been shafted by the car/team.

Lewis was definately in a league of his own today.

wedge
20th July 2008, 15:24
Thanks to that caution.

But how many cars did he hold off who were theoretically quicker?

slinkster
20th July 2008, 15:26
Definitely Lewis, although I was impressed with Piquet Jnr holding his nerve and driving consistently. :) Great race I thought.

gloomyDAY
20th July 2008, 15:29
But how many cars did he hold off who were theoretically quicker?Good point. He did hold up Massa.

I just don't see how Jr. could have even been in that position if it wasn't for a caution. No caution, no glory. :D

wedge
20th July 2008, 15:45
Good point. He did hold up Massa.

I just don't see how Jr. could have even been in that position if it wasn't for a caution. No caution, no glory. :D

Jr was one stopping and pitted before the caution whereas Massa and co did. I have no idea regarding timing and scoring before SC came out though but Jr was going to score points today.

SparkyKate
20th July 2008, 15:46
Thanks to that caution.

What makes you think that matters?! On the day, he held his nerve and didnt mess up. On the day, he held it together where others weren't, including his team mate. He could have gone backwards straight into Massa's clutches, but he didnt, he stayed on it and focused. Its all about luck in F1, even if you have the car and the skill you can mess it up in an instant so for someone with less in both departments to keep it together and get 2nd is impressive.

That doesn't mean i think he will manage it again though :p

gloomyDAY
20th July 2008, 15:48
What makes you think that matters?! On the day, he held his nerve and didnt mess up. On the day, he held it together where others weren't, including his team mate. He could have gone backwards straight into Massa's clutches, but he didnt, he stayed on it and focused. Its all about luck in F1, even if you have the car and the skill you can mess it up in an instant so for someone with less in both departments to keep it together and get 2nd is impressive.

That doesn't mean i think he will manage it again though :p We finally agree on something.

SparkyKate
20th July 2008, 15:50
We finally agree on something.

Perhaps you should listen harder then :p

gloomyDAY
20th July 2008, 15:51
Perhaps you should listen harder then :p No. ;)

SparkyKate
20th July 2008, 15:52
No. ;)

Typical bloke :p

FIA
20th July 2008, 15:52
Lewis was pure class, as was Vettel. Nelson did do well to keep his nerve and keep his cool, so like the last 2 races he has shown potential.

SGWilko
20th July 2008, 15:55
Typical bloke :p

Pardon love? :rotflmao:

SparkyKate
20th July 2008, 16:00
Pardon love? :rotflmao:

lol i said 'bloke' and not 'men' for a reason, i promise!

gloomyDAY
20th July 2008, 16:02
lol i said 'bloke' and not 'men' for a reason, i promise!I'm not sure what a bloke is, so I looked it up online.

This is what I found:
http://www.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,6078390,00.jpg

Are you calling me a firefighter?

SGWilko
20th July 2008, 16:04
I'm not sure what a bloke is, so I looked it up online.

This is what I found:

Cor, aint 'e got a big 'ose? :laugh:

SparkyKate
20th July 2008, 16:05
I'm not sure what a bloke is, so I looked it up online.

This is what I found:

lmao! that came up when you searched for 'bloke'?! I think i should investigate further too, excuse me.... ;)

Tazio
20th July 2008, 16:24
Lewis hands down! No one even close! End of story!

jens
20th July 2008, 16:46
Hamilton showed once again, why I personally think he is closer to M. Schumacher's talent than any other driver on the current grid. Won a race with an inferior strategy.

But Piquet can't be overlooked. He was definetely helped by the SC rule and he looked nowhere during the whole weekend, but this was almost unbelievable, how quick Renault was in the second half of the race. Only Hamilton was able to catch and pass Nelsinho. Wow, amazing. Renault is not such a bad car at all, it seems. ;)

And I'd of course mention Vettel too, who was fighting well throughout the race and scored a deserved point after Trulli's mistake.

And considering the machinery I think even Rosberg did well by finishing 10th. :) Heidfeld had good pace in the race again, but he must improve qualifying.

F1boat
20th July 2008, 16:47
Piquet for me. Drove very smart and was not tempted to do anything stupid and to end his and Hamilton's race.

aryan
20th July 2008, 17:12
1. Hamilton
2. Jr.
3. Heidfeld
4. Vettel

Valve Bounce
20th July 2008, 22:55
Lewis for me too :up:

.............. and me :up: :up:

Roamy
20th July 2008, 23:00
yep Lewis kicked the living sh!t out of everyone. Great car control. I don't think anyone can get by him without a very superior car.

Rollo
20th July 2008, 23:15
Lewis looked quite composed this weekend (0.4s faster than Kova?) and whilst praise should be dumped on him I'm going to say...

Vettel.

Ok, 8th isn't exactly going to set the world on fire, but if Bourdais' car was anything to go by, then that Toro Rosso was a total pigdog on stilts. To run 1.16.7 at one stage and to be looking at Alonso and Kimi and yet holding onto to them in that car, shows at very least a fair amount of ticker.

Oli_M
21st July 2008, 00:02
Lewis, Vettel, Piquet for me in that order. Heidfeld again had a keep-out-of trouble run and once again beat his teammate so good result for hime to.

jso1985
21st July 2008, 04:04
Hamilton without any doubt

Piquet gets also a mention, lots of help from the SC but still managed to lose only one position when having at least 8 superior cars behind him

f1rocks
21st July 2008, 04:10
Alonso.. He He....
Sorry I could not help myself. When Piquet was leading, the 2 time lucky WDC was busy spinning the car and getting overtaken from left and right. What a clown drive....

Shifter
21st July 2008, 04:28
Lewis, of course... It was like he had to make an extra pit stop!

jso1985
21st July 2008, 04:33
Alonso.. He He....
Sorry I could not help myself. When Piquet was leading, the 2 time lucky WDC was busy spinning the car and getting overtaken from left and right. What a clown drive....

so one clown drive makes you a lucky WDC or proves it?

So seeing at the 2008 Australian GP or the 2004 Chinese GP, Raikkonen and Schumacher are a bunch of clowns too! :dozey:

leopard
21st July 2008, 06:12
I tend to put Piquet ahead of Hamilton.

Team has implemented a clever strategy for him, although I see it rather as substance, preparation used as a control in an experiment or test to determine the effectiveness of an extreme strategy, while his teammate was the main target running the race conventionally.

There are also two extreme result for an extreme strategy, if not work it must fail altogether. The weight is off his shoulder, but rather on his teammate and that leads him into unnecessary mistake.

gloomyDAY
21st July 2008, 06:21
There are also two extreme result for an extreme strategy, if not work it must fail altogether. The weight is off his shoulder, but rather on his teammate and that leads him into unnecessary mistake.Has there been any word of Alonso throwing around chairs? Sometimes I think Alonso suffers from panic attacks.

leopard
21st July 2008, 06:32
Has there been any word of Alonso throwing around chairs? Sometimes I think Alonso suffers from panic attacks.
Probably, but obviously he pushes himself up to the limit. Yes I think so, sadly.

ArrowsFA1
21st July 2008, 08:06
Another day when Hamilton showed his class. He seems to have stepped up another level, which is a daunting prospect for his opponents. The safety car could have blown his race, but he showed that he doesn't "just" win races from pole.

leopard
21st July 2008, 08:11
Rider usually wins races from pole deserves another mention, he convincingly won again over his teammate. ;)

Storm
21st July 2008, 08:19
Hamilton.
Amazing drive to get back from his 2nd pit-stop when I thought McLaren fluffed his chances by not pulling him into the pits after the SC.

Sometimes I get the feeling if he starts winning like this he will be like MS. But luckily there are 2 strong cars out there (although 1 team is making a mess of a quick car - yes you Ferrari) I feel he won't still runaway as some tracks will suit Kimi/Massa more.

I don't know why Massa and Kimi were so slow compared to him though, Massa could not catch Piquet or hold Lewis behind and Kimi could only overtake Kubica late on after trying for a long time.

Alonso - a race to forget!

Dave B
21st July 2008, 08:48
1. Hamilton
2. Jr.
3. Heidfeld
4. Vettel

I'd echo that :up:

Knock-on
21st July 2008, 09:20
Lewis.

Carry on.

Nothing more to see. Move on people :D

Big Ben
21st July 2008, 11:58
hamilton

dc10
21st July 2008, 12:05
Nelson.
Lewis did what was expected in a superior car.

Knock-on
21st July 2008, 12:08
Nelson.
Lewis did what was expected in a superior car.

Well done to nelson but if it wasn't for where he pitted and the safety car, he would have been nowhere so he had a lot of luck.

If lewis did what was expected, what about the Ferraris, BMW's and Hekki? :D

Storm
21st July 2008, 12:40
Knockie- most people did accept that Hamilton was the driver of the day..if someone thinks that another guy did better its their opinion isn't it..
So lets move on past the gloating shall we :p :
He already won the race which is what matters..
who cares who wins this thread?

You never know he could be the donkey again in the next race and you might have to defend the choice of that in the donkey thread.
;)

wedge
21st July 2008, 12:53
Lewis' drive reminded me of Schumi's win in Austria 2003, when there was a fire during the pit stop which screwed his race strategy and banzai'd the middle stint and passed Kimi to win the race with couple of laps remaining.

Lewis had to drive qualy style laps after the SC and last stint.

donKey jote
21st July 2008, 14:58
Hamilton - I even felt I had to cheer for him in the midst of "Alonsomaniacs" in the middle of "deep Spain" :mad: :( :D

Damn, a(nother) race to forget :laugh:

Great for Piquet too :up:

dc10
21st July 2008, 15:21
Well done to nelson but if it wasn't for where he pitted and the safety car, he would have been nowhere so he had a lot of luck.

If lewis did what was expected, what about the Ferraris, BMW's and Hekki? :D

They didn't do what was expected and didn't get any luck either, apart from Nick. Both Ferraris and BMWs and Heikki were in faster cars than Piquet - but he managed to hang onto 2nd with quite a good margin.

weeflyonthewall
21st July 2008, 16:40
1. Hamilton
2. Jr.
3. Heidfeld
4. Vettel

Ditto.

jens
21st July 2008, 18:18
Hamilton - I even felt I had to cheer for him in the midst of "Alonsomaniacs" in the middle of "deep Spain" :mad: :( :D

How nice of you to differ from the masses and support The Hated - must take some courage. :) :D

Knock-on
22nd July 2008, 08:27
They didn't do what was expected and didn't get any luck either, apart from Nick. Both Ferraris and BMWs and Heikki were in faster cars than Piquet - but he managed to hang onto 2nd with quite a good margin.

:)

Must admit, he took his chance well and drove very maturely to bring it home in second.

He could have quite easily taken Lewis out in a rush of blood or lost it on a corner but he didn't.

I just wonder if this will give him the confidence to move up a gear in the last few races now he's only 2 points behind Alonso.

Storm
22nd July 2008, 09:41
Piquet did well when the chance was presented to him due to the SC and his fuel strategy, and it will be a relief for him to score 8 points.

But to beat Alonso, that will only happen if Fernando loses his cool and throws it all away like Sunday. But If he goes back and does what he does best, take the car and push it hard without mistakes and score some points, Piquet will be nowhere.

donks:
did you read the Marca article where Alonso said he hopes "all the bad luck is this year and nothing for the new year" ?
A bit naughty when it was not luck but his own driving that let him down in Germany :p :

Knock-on
22nd July 2008, 10:32
Knockie- most people did accept that Hamilton was the driver of the day..if someone thinks that another guy did better its their opinion isn't it..
So lets move on past the gloating shall we :p :
He already won the race which is what matters..
who cares who wins this thread?

You never know he could be the donkey again in the next race and you might have to defend the choice of that in the donkey thread.
;)

Sorry Storm, didn't see this response.

Surely, the purpose of a forum is to discuss and examine others opinions. As you will see later in the thread, I acknowledged Jnr's drive and was complimentary.

Is that gloating :confused:

Come on Stormy, lighten up a bit in your old age ;)

(ps, give my regards to Mrs S)

Storm
22nd July 2008, 11:32
old age ...old age... old age?????? how dare you :p :

- I will pass on the regards though :)

stevie_gerrard
24th July 2008, 12:29
Lewis without a doubt, cannot disagree there.

I am glad Piquet managed to finish on the podium, but i think he was a really lucky boy to get it. The safety car came at the right time and he just took advantage of it. I dont think he drove fantastically well like lewis, he hasnt done really all season, but he did keep it on the road and kept massa behind him comfortably so a lot of respect for him for that.

harsha
25th July 2008, 14:28
Hamilton
Nelson
Heidfeld
Vettel