PDA

View Full Version : Why would Mclaren hire Nico..

seppefan
17th July 2008, 17:12
With all the rumours flying around about Nico going to Mclaren I am lost as to why Mclaren would replace Heikki with Nico. I do not see the attraction.

jens
17th July 2008, 18:23
Agreed. Kovalainen may not have performed perfectly, but he has had a lot of unluck too and although I was expecting more from him in the last wet race (he has done better in the wet, like that excellent P2 at Fuji in monsoon conditions), then Rosberg's performances in slippery conditions have been worse. I think it can be said quite confidently that Heikki's better days are still to come. The same can be probably said about Nico too, but nothing suggests he would be a better choice yet.

elinagr
17th July 2008, 19:59
Nico is far better than Heikki..

Heikki looks very sensitive and distructed very easily...
his race in British Gp was screwed up because Lewis pass him..he said that..
If it was Nico, probably would come back for a fight instead of this kind of comments...

Valve Bounce
17th July 2008, 22:16
That's not a fair explanation: I think Lewis went past Heiki while Heiki was looking for a parking meter.

Tazio
17th July 2008, 23:06
Will Nico be a willing participant as a #2 at McLaren?
I don't think he will!
I also don't think there is anything wrong with that.
Mclaren should be doing everything in it's power to accomplish this.
The WCC has seemed to have lost a little bit of prestige over the last decade, or so! (not prize money however)
For those who vilified Fred at McLaren, you may get a new whipping-boy! :D

leopard
18th July 2008, 05:21
I thought previously that Heikki would do something surprise considering his performance at the second half of last season were getting better. Neither I see Nico at this stage a consistent driver whom Mclaren should put their expectation on. I think if their first scene on Hamilton works out, Heiki will have the contract extended for another year.

aryan
18th July 2008, 05:30
Heikki > Nico.

All those in favour of the question before the house say Aye, all those against the proposition say No.

ArrowsFA1
18th July 2008, 08:12
With all the rumours flying around about Nico going to Mclaren...
It seems those rumours began with Willi Weber, and who does Weber manage? Niko Hulkenberg - Williams test driver.

I doubt that Sir Frank will be too impressed.

DonJippo
18th July 2008, 09:08
Heiki will have the contract extended for another year.

You can make that for several years, just wait and see...

DonJippo
18th July 2008, 09:09
I think Lewis went past Heiki while Heiki was looking for a parking meter.

And he got the directions from pit wall... :dozey:

ioan
18th July 2008, 09:23

I thought it was a gentlemen agreement! :D

Dave B
18th July 2008, 09:32
C'mon, Kovy was nowhere near Lewis' pace once he'd been overtaken! Anyway, we're digressing...

I've seen Heikki race in the UK several times and really rate him. He's smooth and disciplined and appears to have more than his share of bad luck since progressing to F1.

Valve Bounce
18th July 2008, 09:41

Anyone who can see that overtaking move, and it's on video, can only be very unimpressed. Unimpressed with whom, that is the question!

Having said that, I don't see it is really satisfactory to compare Rosberg in the Williams with Kovi in a McLaren. It's like a case of ioan's apples and oranges.

maxu05
18th July 2008, 11:24
I recall watching Hamilton taking Kovi, and I clearly saw Kovi move over and let Hamilton through. I think Kovi lost his concentration after this, maybe because he was so pi55ed off at getting orders to do so. That,s just my opinion though.

ShiftingGears
18th July 2008, 11:52
Hamilton was downright faster than Kovalainen for the whole race. The only reason that he wasn't passed sooner was because he wasn't in the spray of a preceeding car.

wedge
18th July 2008, 12:40
I recall watching Hamilton taking Kovi, and I clearly saw Kovi move over and let Hamilton through. I think Kovi lost his concentration after this, maybe because he was so pi55ed off at getting orders to do so. That,s just my opinion though.

Then how do you explain the start of the race?

That was, IMHO, the best move I've seen all season. Kovy wanted to lead the race and never gave it up and very close to two team mates taken out of the race.

Lewis was easily the better driver as the race progressed.

Ant recently made good analysis on Kovy. Kovy just needs a boost in confidence - he knows he can be quicker than Hamilton given that if everything goes his way eg. if it stayed dry in Silverstone.

Knock-on
18th July 2008, 13:40
Then how do you explain the start of the race?

That was, IMHO, the best move I've seen all season. Kovy wanted to lead the race and never gave it up and very close to two team mates taken out of the race.

Lewis was easily the better driver as the race progressed.

Ant recently made good analysis on Kovy. Kovy just needs a boost in confidence - he knows he can be quicker than Hamilton given that if everything goes his way eg. if it stayed dry in Silverstone.

The start of the race was amazing and proved that there is no #1 in McLaren. However, some people refuse to admit that.

HK is a good driver and there is no reason for McLaren to look anywhere else. The fact that Lewis got by him is no disgrace to Heikki as Lewis outclassed the whole field when they were on the same tryes.

ioan
18th July 2008, 14:28
The start of the race was amazing and proved that there is no #1 in McLaren. However, some people refuse to admit that.

The same way you proved that Max's spanking session did harm F1?! :p :

Knock-on
18th July 2008, 14:39
The same way you proved that Max's spanking session did harm F1?! :p :

You're like a dog with a bone :D

Just because you cannot see something most others can, should not necessitate pointing out your deficiency ;)

ArrowsFA1
18th July 2008, 14:43
HK is a good driver and there is no reason for McLaren to look anywhere else.
Being a big Heikki fan I agree with that :up: Heikki and Lewis make a great pairing for the team, and I don't think that the Finn's results truly reflect his form. He will produce a win for them soon.

Knock-on
18th July 2008, 14:49
Being a big Heikki fan I agree with that :up: Heikki and Lewis make a great pairing for the team, and I don't think that the Finn's results truly reflect his form. He will produce a win for them soon.

Quite agree. I thought it was a real coup for McLaren.

Although I rate Alonso slightly above him as a racer, HK is much more suited to McLaren and is going to improve. I look forward to him getting some consistency and challenging Lewis.

Two drivers fighting it out gives us a much better chance of the Constructors as well as the Drivers championship.

ioan
18th July 2008, 15:51
You're like a dog with a bone :D

Just because you cannot see something most others can, should not necessitate pointing out your deficiency ;)

At least I'm a happy dog! :D
Something you can't say about the McLiars fans and the Max haters! :p :

Tazio
18th July 2008, 15:57
I believe that it was very good evidence to your opinion! :up: