PDA

View Full Version : Your 'more realistic' dream car

CarlMetro
26th January 2007, 23:42
We all dream about Ferraris, Porsches, Lambos and Astons but unless we get all six numbers up on the lottery, the dream of owning £100,000+ car will always remain a dream.

So, being a bit more realistic in our outlook, what car do you think you'll be driving in the near future, or would be in your earnings budget?

For me, what I drive right now, a VW Passat, is pretty close to perfect. I'd rather have the 3.0 V6 petrol engine and an automatic 'box but apart from that I'm more than happy with it. I tried just about everything there is within the £20,000 budget that I had before placing the order.

viper_man
26th January 2007, 23:59
Realistically, at the minute Im trying to find a Suzuki Vitara Fatboy for under £2000.

Bit of fun for the summer but each one I keep finding on ebay or auto trader keeps getting sold before I can get chance to put my Mondeo up for sale.

tannat
27th January 2007, 01:23
I think an air-cooled Porsche 911 would be nice.... :D

ST205GT4
27th January 2007, 03:18
I'm driving pretty much the car I'd be driving on a regular basis even if I were much wealthier. An Evo IX. Great combination of practicality and fun.

WHITE WRC
27th January 2007, 08:51
Got my dream daily driver
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/andysrs/album2/Picture309.jpg

Donney
27th January 2007, 09:08
Realistically my ideal car now judging from my income would be a good pair of boots and my own feet :( But in a longer term I assume I could afford something like a Focus.

If I ever make more than that I would ponder the option of getting a Mazda RX8 which is a car I would love to have.

Brown, Jon Brow
27th January 2007, 09:23
I want my first car to be a 1.4 ltr Astra :D

By the time I'm in my mid-twenties i would love to have a 2nd hand X-type for about £12,000'ish.

My brother has always had good cars. His 1st was a Mini mayfair (but it looked like a Mini Cooper sports-pack), he then had a New Mondeo Zetec and Westfield for a 2nd car, and now he has a BMW 330ci. Not bad for a 24 year old :)

Erki
27th January 2007, 10:01
Saleen S7R

And you all know how real I am. ;)

Daniel
27th January 2007, 10:35
Peugeot 306 GTi-6, Lancia Delta Integrale and perhaps a few current cars after they've depreciated significantly :)

jim mcglinchey
27th January 2007, 10:59
1975 Mark 1 Ford Granada, 3 litre V6 manual. Gold paint, vinyl roof, cream leather intereior. Just like in "The Sweeney"

agwiii
27th January 2007, 12:49
We all dream about Ferraris, Porsches, Lambos and Astons but unless we get all six numbers up on the lottery, the dream of owning £100,000+ car will always remain a dream.

So, being a bit more realistic in our outlook, what car do you think you'll be driving in the near future, or would be in your earnings budget?

CarlMetro - Your point is well taken. This thread is really about finances today and tomorrow, as well as lifestyle. I still cringe when I see people I know driving a minivan.

Hazell B
27th January 2007, 16:58
Glad you've posted this thread Carl, I'll be car shopping soon anyway probably and it's made me think ahead.

About £3k worth of either Land Rover 90 Ute, 200 Series Discovery (hard to find a really good one, though :( ) or small engined, LPG converted Range Rover with cloth seats is what I'll probably end up with. I've got my Discovery facing an MOT that will be unpassable perhaps, and have to have either the same or better towing and off road power. I also really don't want to be anything but a cash buyer, which narrows the options.

In case of emergency, I'll have our other Discovery (a 300 Series) and 'im indoors can buy something to replace it.

suzy m
27th January 2007, 22:30
I was looking at buying a new car and quite fancied a new shape SEAT Leon, probably the Reference Sport model (2.0l TDI). But.......... then decided to buy a (more expensive) house than planned so a new car is gonna have to wait for quite a while. :(

daz90
27th January 2007, 23:49
I bought my current car (Renault Laguna 1.9 DCI) recently enough to not even warrent thinking about another realistic car, that said i do already have a list of realistic options for the future :)

One of - Audi A4 Avant estate 1.9 td, Saab 9-3 diesel, newish Alfa 156 estate, diesel. Or i could get a slightly smaller car again, eg a diesel Golf or new Focus.

I wouldn't buy a petrol car again.

BeansBeansBeans
28th January 2007, 00:11
I quite like the idea of owning an Alfa Romeo, so that could be my next choice. My Dad has the use of a Brera at the moment, so I could get to drive that next time I'm home.

Hazell B
28th January 2007, 00:24
...decided to buy a (more expensive) house ...

Well, it won't lose money like a car, so you're the smart one among us :)

Marshall
28th January 2007, 02:14
An older Alfa...thinking a 164 or 75. I'd love a 155 (one of my fav cars ever) but try finding one in oz...

LeonBrooke
28th January 2007, 08:29
A Volkswagen Golf GTi, mark one.

Daniel
28th January 2007, 08:31
Well, it won't lose money like a car, so you're the smart one among us :)
Quite right in fact Suzy will just be making more and more money. I personally see no point in buying a nice and expensive car only to then sell it in a few years and deal with stupid depreciation. If I ever buy a nice car I'll keep it for as long as I can. If I have money I'll pay to repair it no matter what unless of course it's silly money.

Mark in Oshawa
28th January 2007, 10:45
My next vehicle will likely be a Honda Accord, or maybe a Dodge Charger....

GridGirl
28th January 2007, 17:22
Currently have a four month old Fiesta ST. I picked it as it was more practical than my dream car which is a Daihatsu Copen. The fact that the Copen had the boot capacity of about 8 litres when the roof was down eventually put the stoppers on the idea.

There was no was on earth that I could possible drive home from a good shopping trip with a boot capacity that small! ;) If I could afford a second car, I'd deffinately get one.

suzy m
28th January 2007, 18:08
Well, it won't lose money like a car, so you're the smart one among us

In the long run it's probably a sensible thing to do but it doesn't solve the car problem. :p

wedge
29th January 2007, 14:29
Suzuki Swift Sport - planning to get one next year.

Possibly Pug 207 GTI - depending on reviews and test drive. Currently have the 206 - fingers crossed the 207 will be better. But if by the time I'm under the thumb with 2.4 children then its a Seat Leon all the way.

Mark
29th January 2007, 14:33
I just want a car similar to what I have now, but with a shed load more power. I could probably afford a Fiesta ST if I pushed my finances a little.

However it doesn't come in a 5-door version, so thats poo :p

harsha
29th January 2007, 15:45
Planning to take a Swift Diesel soon,that seems to be a very good car...........

Hazell B
29th January 2007, 16:46
In the long run it's probably a sensible thing to do but it doesn't solve the car problem. :p

Buy a cheap one. Go on, be a devil!

Then you can drive about listening for knocking sounds and waiting for a wheel to roll past you, just like me :p :

schmenke
29th January 2007, 17:15
Not really in the market for a new vehicle right now, but I have had one eye on the Chrysler Town & Country minivan (yes, minvan :uhoh: :p : ).

luvracin
29th January 2007, 17:32
I always dreamed of owning a BMW. Now I do...

2006 BMW 330i.

I love it.

Iain
30th January 2007, 07:07
I just want a car similar to what I have now, but with a shed load more power. I could probably afford a Fiesta ST if I pushed my finances a little.

However it doesn't come in a 5-door version, so thats poo :p

Secret engine transplant? NOS? :p :

Mark
30th January 2007, 07:46
Secret engine transplant? NOS? :p :

hehe. You'd have to change so many things other than the engine, you might as well buy a new car!

Koz
30th January 2007, 08:24
Nissan 300ZX Z32 Twin Turbo

maxu05
30th January 2007, 12:34
I would have to go for a Nissan Skyline GTR, any model would do me.

suzy m
31st January 2007, 23:11
Buy a cheap one. Go on, be a devil!

Then you can drive about listening for knocking sounds and waiting for a wheel to roll past you, just like me :p :

I've still got my little Fabia, but I just want something a bit newer, with a bit more power and that isn't classified as orange on the DVLA documents. :p Maybe it's the parking between a Porsche Boxster and a flash BMW at work that's making it feel inadequate. :s

harvick#1
1st February 2007, 03:17
Audi A4, that would be a fun car to drive, or Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 8 or Subaru Impreza

BrentJackson
1st February 2007, 17:49
Nissan 350Z or Dodge Charger would be awesome. I'd love an R32 Skyline or Delta Integrale, but I can't get either in the Great White North. :(

LeonBrooke
2nd February 2007, 06:17
The Delta Integrale would be nice :D

raybak
2nd February 2007, 09:26
I would like to get a new Focus with the Turbo 5 Cyl. Can afford one but have a company Commodore at the moment with a tow pack so I'm pretty right for cars.

Ray

NinjaMaster
12th February 2007, 08:08
I keep changing my mind on my "dream" affordable car. I've been toying with a Holden Monaro or VY model SS wagon and then supercharge it. Or go with a little turbo like a Nissan 200SX S15 or maybe a Subi WRX? I dunno. Depends on the weather I think! :)

555-04Q2
12th February 2007, 13:58
Subaru Impreza WRX STI Pro Drive :)

Shifter
12th February 2007, 17:53
Something I could race weekly and not worry. Spec E30 BMW perhaps?

LeonBrooke
13th February 2007, 06:47
Right now I'm thinking of an E30 M3, or a Mercedes-Benz 190E 2.3...

Skid Marx
14th February 2007, 02:47
I've already owned my dream car, had to give it up, but WILL own one again:

Stuartf12007
17th February 2007, 20:45
I already own my dream car

A Black Honda Civic Type R

genre
19th February 2007, 16:27
Somethng like Audi S3 or S4.
Maybe Subaru WRX STI, but it's hard to drive everyday in traffic by this car.

GridGirl
20th February 2007, 10:17
Stuart why is a Civic Type R your dream car?

I'm only asking because my younger brother wants to buy one. He already owns a 2 year old C2 that he's had from new and has been *pimped up* so to speak, but if he gets a Type R he'll have to go out and buy a second hand one thats probably older than the car he's currently got just so that he can afford it. Then the insurance is £1500 a year with 4 years no claims because he's only just turned 21. I just dont understand his logic myself, the car can't be that good to want to do all that, maybe its a boy thing.

CarlMetro
20th February 2007, 10:35
Stuart why is a Civic Type R your dream car?

I'm only asking because my younger brother wants to buy one. He already owns a 2 year old C2 that he's had from new and has been *pimped up* so to speak, but if he gets a Type R he'll have to go out and buy a second hand one thats probably older than the car he's currently got just so that he can afford it. Then the insurance is £1500 a year with 4 years no claims because he's only just turned 21. I just dont understand his logic myself, the car can't be that good to want to do all that, maybe its a boy thing.

They really are that good. I had one on 24 hour test a couple of years ago and couldn't stop driving it. Sadly it was impratical because it's only a three door and my wife was expecting our son at the time so I didn't get one ;(

Donney
20th February 2007, 11:59
You see? It's a boy thing then :p :

CarlMetro
20th February 2007, 12:03
:D

LotusElise
20th February 2007, 12:22
When I bought my current car, the Civic was one of the ones I considered. The Type R was what I was thinking of but it was way out of my price range. The normal Civic I test-drove was rubbish, like driving a jelly. The Honda salesman was really rude as well.

draper
23rd February 2007, 23:34
hmmm, dream 'future' car is a monaro VXR, at the minute all my efforts are on my track car so my road car must be realiable and able to tow, and vauxhall ;)

altho if my plans work-out ill be in australia in 5 years time and still have a monaro (called commodores over there i believe??), or a R34 GTR V-Spec II skyline

draper
23rd February 2007, 23:35
the type R has the best FWD chassis in the world (in standard form i hasten to add) apparently

captin 1 VXR
24th February 2007, 08:16
altho if my plans work-out ill be in australia in 5 years time and still have a monaro (called commodores over there i believe??),

no still a monaro .... commodores are what we called omega but with real motors under the bonnet

how do i know well i have a monaro back at home in spain :dozey: but soon to be sold as looks like company moving back here as we have our books full of work in uk :rolleyes: poo ... and i am not paying the import tax on her as it will be stupid amount ... so i think i sell every motor and just have a nice evo 4 ( best looking evo in my eyes newer ones look to soft )

but dream car that just out of reach to buy mmmmm DB9 :D

captin 1 VXR
24th February 2007, 08:19
http://www.thhe.dk/biler/Mercedes_190E_Evolution_II.jpg
Right now I'm thinking of an E30 M3, or a Mercedes-Benz 190E 2.3...

have to say evo 11 much better than a 2.3 :s mokin: oh and in uk u be lucky to buy one under 20k

LeonBrooke
25th February 2007, 06:44
hmmm, dream 'future' car is a monaro VXR, at the minute all my efforts are on my track car so my road car must be realiable and able to tow, and vauxhall ;)

altho if my plans work-out ill be in australia in 5 years time and still have a monaro (called commodores over there i believe??), or a R34 GTR V-Spec II skyline

The Commodore is a saloon about the size of a 5-series based on the same chassis as the Monaro.

have to say evo 11 much better than a 2.3 :s mokin: oh and in uk u be lucky to buy one under 20k

I like the huge rear wing on that car ;)

Stuartf12007
26th February 2007, 21:20
Driving a type R is like driving a racing car.

21 is too young to own one, as they would more likely crash it.

Iain
26th February 2007, 22:03
Bit of a sweeping generalisation there surely......

Daniel
26th February 2007, 22:18
True though. I know that if I'd been driving Caroline's Subaru around 2 or 3 years ago I'd have killed myself. It's only in the last couple of years I've calmed down as a driver :mark:

A.F.F.
26th February 2007, 23:25
I'm heading for Skoda Octavia Scout Tdi :)

janneppi
27th February 2007, 16:02
Sorry A.F.F, that's the most unrealistic dream car i've ever heard. :D

Caroline
27th February 2007, 18:28
I would like a VW Corrado.

Stop laughing at the back.

Iain
27th February 2007, 18:32
Nothing wrong with Corrados. I like them. :up:

I would like one of these. :D http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2007/02/vauxhall-vxr8-420hp-uk-version-of.html

Captain VXR
27th February 2007, 19:06
The Aussie commodore looks better than the VXR8 especially alloy-wise

Stuartf12007
27th February 2007, 23:30

road fatality figures would probably prove this.