PDA

View Full Version : Any rumours for BTCC 2009?

Pages : [1] 2

Micholly
15th July 2008, 21:23
I've only just started watching the BTCC again. I used to be a big fan in the nineties, with the sprint and feature race, mandatory pit stops, Murray Walker (then Charlie Cox). I even have a bit of John Clellands Vauhall from an off at Knockhill (might have been 1998 or 9).

But i moved away for a few years, and since coming back have only seen bits and pieces. Its still good racing, but the success ballast, reversed grid and lack of works cars are quite irritating. Still, at least they don't have the production cars running at the back anymore.

Are there any plans for more manufacturers to join the series? I'll settle for any rumours though.

Good to see the BTCC getting proper coverage again as well.

Alfa Fan
15th July 2008, 22:06
http://btccpages.motorsportforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127170

Micholly
16th July 2008, 09:27
sorry, my bad. Should have searched more thoroughly.

Dave B
16th July 2008, 09:35
Take most of that thread with a pinch of salt ;)

Micholly
16th July 2008, 12:26
so there won't be smart cars and geewhizzes? ;)

Just dissapointed that there are no new manufacturer rumours.

AndySpeed
16th July 2008, 13:23
Well unfortunately it's not the best of times to embark on a touring car campaign with the current credit and economic situation...

SEATFreak
16th July 2008, 16:32
I did hear a rumour that VXR look set to again win the Drivers Trophy, Manufacturers Trophy and Teams Trophy.

Iain
16th July 2008, 19:03
MN Say VXR will run the Vectra again with Giovanardi and Neal in 2009, while Onslow-Cole's seat in the team depends on outside funding.

AndySpeed
17th July 2008, 13:52
Vauxhall keep Giovanardi, Vectra for 2009:

http://www.btccaction.co.uk/2008/07/17/vauxhall-keep-giovanardi-vectra-for-2009/

Vauxhall are repeating what they did in 2004 then, where they raced the Astra Coupe when it was replaced with the Sport Hatch at the time.

AndySpeed
17th July 2008, 23:21
I was wondering, if VX want to continue with the Vectra if they would build any more or stick with the current chassis? There were 11 Astra Coupes of the course of 4 years, admittedly two were for a satellite operation.

Eurotech
19th July 2008, 16:58
and about 5 were built for Independant teams like Barwell motorsport

dwracing23
7th August 2008, 21:25
check this out guys maybe a rumour for 2009??

http://www.chippeduk.com/

Also have a look at streetcredmagazine something about a future BTC racer?!

AndySpeed
7th August 2008, 22:38
check this out guys maybe a rumour for 2009??

http://www.chippeduk.com/

Also have a look at streetcredmagazine something about a future BTC racer?!

Sorry, but I fail to see anything of interest at that website...

BDunnell
7th August 2008, 22:54
I think it was a reference to this statement:

'To be kept informed of our latest developments and projects please sign up to our newsletter, we will email you information on all of our projects from road car tuning to our partnership with PT Motorsports in the British Touring Car Championships.'

SEATFreak
8th August 2008, 08:22
One thing is for certain.

Whoever wins the SCC they will race a works SEAT sometime in 2009. And as it stands it is likely to be Rob Lawson to race alongside Jase and DT who has 228pts over reigning Champion Jonathan Adam who is up to 206 thanks to his 4 wins out of the last five races. Three of them wins on top of a bonus point for setting the fastest lap of the day.

reidy_fan
8th August 2008, 14:38

Whoever wins the SCC they will race a works SEAT sometime in 2009. And as it stands it is likely to be Rob Lawson to race alongside Jase and DT who has 228pts over reigning Champion Jonathan Adam who is up to 206 thanks to his 4 wins out of the last five races. Three of them wins on top of a bonus point for setting the fastest lap of the day.

you honestly reckon that Lawson will take the title, only if Jonathan has car probs or decides to go to the pub mate. last time out the gaps were 9 and 5 seconds between Jonathan and Rob. to win you have to finish in front of the guy in the lead. that would be why Rob was at knockhill in his 06 clio doing the northern sports and smrc to get track time and he was pushing it big time. sorry but JA is on fire atm he has the car hooked up. Keep the status quo and it will be champion again for JA. Get the man into a good drive in the BTCC and he will win races. I reckon that ja will beat rob by at least 7 seconds in both KH races

SEATFreak
8th August 2008, 18:22
you honestly reckon that Lawson will take the title, only if Jonathan has car probs or decides to go to the pub mate. last time out the gaps were 9 and 5 seconds between Jonathan and Rob. to win you have to finish in front of the guy in the lead. that would be why Rob was at knockhill in his 06 clio doing the northern sports and smrc to get track time and he was pushing it big time. sorry but JA is on fire atm he has the car hooked up. Keep the status quo and it will be champion again for JA. Get the man into a good drive in the BTCC and he will win races. I reckon that ja will beat rob by at least 7 seconds in both KH races

Do I reckon Lawson will take the title?! Is the pope an athiest?!

I too am a massive fan of JA and of TCR and I have been massively encouraged by his improvement recently. I too am banking on JA to once again reign supreme. I would love to see nothing more than for Jonathan to finally get a seat in the BTCC and what's more at SEAT.

I certainly see no reason why it cannot be likely, if JA continues improving, Jonathan will be the SCC winner to bag a seat in the BTCC for 2009.

I even see him in the BTCC full time in 2010. Remember, aswell as winning points in each race they also get money. By the end of Croft Adam had already amassed, if I am right, and I am sure of it, £2990 in race cash. Money come the end of the season that will be, if I am right, invaluable to working toward securing a fulltime seat in the BTCC.

Alfa Fan
8th August 2008, 19:40
:confused:

reidy_fan
8th August 2008, 21:06
he should be in the BTCC full time by now but he doesnt have the cash that is the only reason. any car he tested he is fast in but he struggled this year to get out as the so called prize money barely pays for the travelling expenses. if this was the supertouring era with lots of factory support he would have been on the BTCC podium by now but it isnt.

Eurotech
8th August 2008, 21:41
I agree, If JA had more cash there is no doubt he would be up there with the like of Mat Jackson and if im honest, I would tip him for the title because what country is he from and where are the next rounds? see what I mean?

c8nay
9th August 2008, 01:01
I think it was a reference to this statement:

'To be kept informed of our latest developments and projects please sign up to our newsletter, we will email you information on all of our projects from road car tuning to our partnership with PT Motorsports in the British Touring Car Championships.'

Even that bit has changed, maybe they had a change of direction with their new owners. Shame, I'm sure their colours would of looked quite nice on a certain car.... ;)

SEATFreak
9th August 2008, 09:23
as the so called prize money barely pays for the travelling expenses.

Is that a fact? Then how can it be put to use if it barely pays for the travelling expenses? What is it used for?

I think it is sad that SCC cannot be certain of a future full time drive. Though their is other series they can go to. But I would love to be able to come on threads like this and say "so-and-so" from the SCC is certain to get a drive next season with "such-and-such".

reidy_fan
9th August 2008, 19:22
I agree, If JA had more cash there is no doubt he would be up there with the like of Mat Jackson and if im honest, I would tip him for the title because what country is he from and where are the next rounds? see what I mean?

think the KH crowd could give him a extra 10hp we are very partisan in terms of any scottish driver. one thing I will note is that Rob Lawson is a great sport with a sense of humour, he took a fair bit of banter in the paddock last sunday and took it well. I hope the racing is nice and clean and that everyone enjoys it. just wish I could be there marshalling but heading away on holiday 2morrow

Eurotech
14th August 2008, 14:52
Even that bit has changed, maybe they had a change of direction with their new owners. Shame, I'm sure their colours would of looked quite nice on a certain car.... ;)

Have I missed somthing? :confused:

tintin
14th August 2008, 21:35

If you take dropped scores into account the gap between Lawson and Adam is even smaller.

cos
31st August 2008, 13:53
The Clio commentators mentioned that a touring car with Rob Gaffney's name on it had been spotted in his transporter over the weekend... any ideas?

VX_Rules
31st August 2008, 22:05
Was he taking it out for walk or something? :P

VXRDartford
31st August 2008, 23:19
The Clio commentators mentioned that a touring car with Rob Gaffney's name on it had been spotted in his transporter over the weekend... any ideas?

The spare Chevy the Robertshaw team have has his name on it dont know y tho?

cos
31st August 2008, 23:31
The spare Chevy the Robertshaw team have has his name on it dont know y tho?

Gaffney races for Robertshaw in Clios; would make sense. Shame Neate couldn't get the deal together to race the Chevy this weekend though.

PDS
1st September 2008, 19:34
After crashing-out in BOTH Clio races at the weekend... Can he afford it?

Eurotech
1st September 2008, 19:48
What does Andy Neate do these days?

Elmo
1st September 2008, 20:27
What does Andy Neate do these days?

Andy has'nt done much racing this year since missing out on the RAC seat to Jelley, he had an outing in Porsche GB at Snett finishing on the podium and I heard he's been doing the odd Britcar round too.

I think he's working towards next year now. I came across this link thats quite interesting! Maybe suggests his plans for next year?

http://www.circuitpro.co.uk/ceravision

Iain
1st September 2008, 20:29
I've got a 2009 rumour - Team RAC to run a 3rd car next year powered by electricity! http://colinturkington.fotopic.net/p53228121.html

VkmSpouge
1st September 2008, 21:54
Looks about the same age Tom Chilton was when he made his debut :p :

Elmo
2nd September 2008, 08:12
Andy has'nt done much racing this year since missing out on the RAC seat to Jelley, he had an outing in Porsche GB at Snett finishing on the podium and I heard he's been doing the odd Britcar round too.

I think he's working towards next year now. I came across this link thats quite interesting! Maybe suggests his plans for next year?

http://www.circuitpro.co.uk/ceravision

The link has gone? I found another copy here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeU84ER8Lis

KILOHMUNNS
2nd September 2008, 08:30
I've got a 2009 rumour - Team RAC to run a 3rd car next year powered by electricity! http://colinturkington.fotopic.net/p53228121.html

Probably still more reliable than SEAT!! :D

Eurotech
2nd September 2008, 09:26
And ist shouldnt be too hard on its tyres!

Alfa Fan
16th September 2008, 12:16
Well in update to this thread in the last few weeks we've heard:

No works SEAT in 2009[/*:m:2h53ek7d]
No Arkas Racing in 2009[/*:m:2h53ek7d]When are we going to get some good news?

tisme
16th September 2008, 16:43
When are we going to get some good news?

Clyde Valley Racing are coming!

VkmSpouge
16th September 2008, 18:50
Well good news is that Erkut Kizilirmak says he's only taking a year away from the BTCC and I really hope he comes back in 2010. Of course Kizilirmak not racing next doesn't mean that Martyn Bell and Tech-Speed won't be racing.

FIA
16th September 2008, 19:01
No SEAT in 09, oh yeah that's not a rumour, it's true.

Why is Erkut taking a year out?

Allyc85
16th September 2008, 19:49
Business commitments.

LiamM
16th September 2008, 20:33
Well good news is that Erkut Kizilirmak says he's only taking a year away from the BTCC and I really hope he comes back in 2010. Of course Kizilirmak not racing next doesn't mean that Martyn Bell and Tech-Speed won't be racing.

Not necessarily true!

No Erkut only means no Arkas

Martyn can pay for his own drive at Tech-Speed

VkmSpouge
16th September 2008, 21:47
Not necessarily true!

No Erkut only means no Arkas

Martyn can pay for his own drive at Tech-Speed

Yes, that is pretty much what I was saying :p :

LiamM
16th September 2008, 22:13
Yes, that is pretty much what I was saying :p :

Helps if I read it properly! Sorry Vkm.

That'll mean that there may not be some 'customer' Vectras next year

cos
17th September 2008, 00:04
Business commitments.

Does anyone know what Erkut actually does business-wise in Turkey?

Iain
17th September 2008, 00:56
It's in the name - Arkas. http://www.arkas.com.tr/english/index_eng.html

President of the car dealership arm of the company I think.

PDS
17th September 2008, 17:48
It's in the name - Arkas. http://www.arkas.com.tr/english/index_eng.html

President of the car dealership arm of the company I think.

Much, much more than that!

VkmSpouge
17th September 2008, 18:58
Much, much more than that!

Is he the leader of an elite, international group of crime fighting superheroes? It would make him the first superhero (as far as we know) to have raced in the BTCC :D

LiamM
17th September 2008, 21:44
Is he the leader of an elite, international group of crime fighting superheroes? It would make him the first superhero (as far as we know) to have raced in the BTCC :D

Hes actually the 5th member of the A-Team, but he's so far into the Los Angeles underground they could never show him on TV.

PDS
17th September 2008, 22:52
It would make him the first superhero (as far as we know) to have raced in the BTCC :D

You know that is not true..

John Cleland was the first!

Iain
17th September 2008, 23:40
Took the words right off my fingers Peter! :D

norwichsam1
18th September 2008, 12:31
according to todays autosport both bmw and ford are evaluating entering next years btcc with works entries! How good would that be, please god let this happen!

reidy_fan
18th September 2008, 15:14
with the demise of the SCC could we see guys from that running older cars in BTCC, integras, the astra sport hatches, MG's etc. Mickey Doyle has proved it can be done on a shoestring budget, those MG's cant be worth any more than 40k a scc car new was about 45

LiamM
18th September 2008, 16:57
according to todays autosport both bmw and ford are evaluating entering next years btcc with works entries! How good would that be, please god let this happen!

Hasn't Ford been doing that for ages now?

Don't forget we should have Mr Kerry and co back next year so its not all bad!

Allyc85
18th September 2008, 17:32

I want Ford back in the BTCC so bad, I hope it does actually happen this year!! If it does happen they've got to use the Mondeo haven't they? Id say the focus is too tall and un-aerodynamic ajd they say the WRC Focus isnt that great in a straight line because of this.

VkmSpouge
18th September 2008, 19:23
I'd love Ford to come back either the Mondeo and Focus (both nice looking cars) but I won't hold my breath.

VX_Rules
18th September 2008, 23:06
Theres the ford rumours!! Knew it wouldnt be long. :)

rwdvectra
19th September 2008, 09:10
Would love to see ford back as well. Would have to be the Mondeo though.

Iain
19th September 2008, 14:34
If the aim of going motor racing is to sell cars, why don't they use the Focus 4 door saloon? That's a car you never see on the roads and could benefit from promotion.

Allyc85
19th September 2008, 14:45
If the aim of going motor racing is to sell cars, why don't they use the Focus 4 door saloon? That's a car you never see on the roads and could benefit from promotion.

Thats a fair point you've made there. Seat have proved with the rising sales of the Leon that the BTCC is a great advert for your car.

I did always think the original shape Focus saloon was an ideal base for a touring car. Great chassis with a very tunable zetec engine, with the right backing (like most cars I know) it could have been right up there.

Alfa Fan
19th September 2008, 15:20
That's a car you never see on the roads and could benefit from promotion. I don't there is a new Ford Focus saloon version is there? I know there was one of the pre-06 Focus, but the new car doesn't seem to have a Saloon version.

tisme
19th September 2008, 16:12

You sly dog Iain... not just a pretty face are you now?

Eurotech
19th September 2008, 18:09
the saloon focus is still around but it is more exclusive than a 7 series BMW and thats a fact!

Iain
19th September 2008, 18:28
I don't there is a new Ford Focus saloon version is there? I know there was one of the pre-06 Focus, but the new car doesn't seem to have a Saloon version.

Yes there is, I've only seen a few myself.

http://www.autofans.us/images/Ford/Ford%20Focus%204.jpg

VkmSpouge
19th September 2008, 20:26
That saloon Focus does look very nice, wouldn't mind that as a touring car.

As a way of saying good bye for now to Erkut Kizilirmak (and since I don't stand a chance of winning overall), I've picked him for the win in pickems this week :D

BDunnell
19th September 2008, 22:14
As a way of saying good bye for now to Erkut Kizilirmak (and since I don't stand a chance of winning overall), I've picked him for the win in pickems this week :D

I wanted to choose Adam Jones for the win, but then I thought the points were more important — even though I can't win either. ;)

Brown, Jon Brow
19th September 2008, 23:59

Even though its a 4door saloon and not a hatch its still a Focus. So would Ford want to promote a Focus in the BTCC and WRC? Thats the reason they pulled out in 2000, because the BTCC-spec rules favoured smaller cars.

PDS
20th September 2008, 00:14
Was under the impression that the Focus is due a change fairly soon?

So would it be worth using it?

tisme
20th September 2008, 00:48
According Midweek Motorsport on RadioLeMans (at 49minutes):http://audio.mpix.org.uk/mwm2008/mwm3-30.mp3

Bart Mampaey is pushing to get 2 cars in the BTCC.
Priaulx and Jackson in BMW UK (RBM) cars as they are run already!

Nissan interested but no cars?

Brown, Jon Brow
20th September 2008, 11:52
According Midweek Motorsport on RadioLeMans (at 49minutes):http://audio.mpix.org.uk/mwm2008/mwm3-30.mp3

Bart Mampaey is pushing to get 2 cars in the BTCC.
Priaulx and Jackson in BMW UK (RBM) cars as they are run already!

That would be amazing. Priaulx against Gio. BMW versus Vauxhall. I reckon Jackson could push Priaulx close.

And if Honda provide more backing to Team Dynamics and this Ford rumour materialises (Arena?), we could realistically have 4 manufacturers next year! :)

VX_Rules
20th September 2008, 12:05
Fingers crossed. :D

VX_Rules
20th September 2008, 13:02
Just listened to it. Very interesting Podcast.
Nissan Qashqai made me laugh. BMW makes sense though hey?

VkmSpouge
20th September 2008, 16:31
I would love Andy Priaulx to come to the BTCC but would he really want to? I Hope so :D

Brown, Jon Brow
20th September 2008, 17:48

What about Infiniti?

Eurotech
20th September 2008, 20:24
What about it?

Brown, Jon Brow
20th September 2008, 20:32
What about it?

If Nissan are interested but don't have a suitable car then what about their luxury arm competing instead? Perhaps with the G37 or G37 coupe.

VX_Rules
20th September 2008, 20:45
And the point would be? Infinitis arent sold here. Yet.

Brown, Jon Brow
20th September 2008, 20:54
And the point would be? Infinitis arent sold here. Yet.

Are they on sale in 2009? As an unknown brand it would be a great way to get their name known.

BDunnell
20th September 2008, 23:20
Are they on sale in 2009? As an unknown brand it would be a great way to get their name known.

There's simply no way this is going to happen, in my opinion. Luxury brands don't generally sit well with touring car involvement.

c8nay
20th September 2008, 23:37
How many clashes of WTCC and BTCC rounds are there next year for Andy to do both? Would Plato be a possible for a 2nd BMW seat?

Brown, Jon Brow
21st September 2008, 00:00
There's simply no way this is going to happen, in my opinion. Luxury brands don't generally sit well with touring car involvement.

But where did the Nissan rumour come from? Beating BMW in touring cars would be great for Infinti, as it seems like they aspire to be a sporting luxury brand.

Brown, Jon Brow
21st September 2008, 00:01
How many clashes of WTCC and BTCC rounds are there next year for Andy to do both? Would Plato be a possible for a 2nd BMW seat?

I expect to see Plato in a WTCC SEAT next year.

touringlegend
21st September 2008, 10:22
I would love Andy Priaulx to come to the BTCC but would he really want to? I Hope so :D

He's won the WTCC enough times already. The BTCC would certainly be a nice addition to his CV.

Anyway Andy Priaulx will go wherever he gets paid to!

Eurotech
21st September 2008, 10:27
who else moved from WTCC to BTCC?

GIOVANARDI - Im sure Priaulx will want to follow in Gio's footsteps and win the BTCC twice if he can!

MattL
21st September 2008, 10:43
Anyway Andy Priaulx will go wherever he gets paid to!

That's the key.

christophulus
21st September 2008, 13:18
Why would Infiniti(Nissan?) join the British Touring Cars? Surely they'd be better off in a country's championship where they actually sell their cars, i.e. not the UK.

Same for the Focus saloon idea, the reason they don't sell many in the UK (and the rest of Europe) is surely because the market prefers the hatchback? The Focus hatch, like the Vectra, is one of the biggest sellers in the UK, along with Clios, Astras etc.

I know the BTCC is shown around the world but the main viewing areas are in the UK, so it doesn't make sense for a manufacturer to enter the BTCC if they don't even sell cars in the UK!

Or am I missing something here?

BDunnell
21st September 2008, 13:57
Why would Infiniti(Nissan?) join the British Touring Cars? Surely they'd be better off in a country's championship where they actually sell their cars, i.e. not the UK.

Same for the Focus saloon idea, the reason they don't sell many in the UK (and the rest of Europe) is surely because the market prefers the hatchback? The Focus hatch, like the Vectra, is one of the biggest sellers in the UK, along with Clios, Astras etc.

I know the BTCC is shown around the world but the main viewing areas are in the UK, so it doesn't make sense for a manufacturer to enter the BTCC if they don't even sell cars in the UK!

Or am I missing something here?

Not at all.

VkmSpouge
21st September 2008, 16:11
That Honda representative in the ITV view certainly didn't rule out them giving full works backing to Team Dynamics for next year.

m.lowe
21st September 2008, 16:27
I reckon Andrew Jordan in a works Honda next year

rwdvectra
21st September 2008, 16:29
That Honda representative in the ITV view certainly didn't rule out them giving full works backing to Team Dynamics for next year.

Sounded quite promising but just a shame they'd probably use the civic and not the accord.

MBailey06
21st September 2008, 17:34
Particularly as James Thompson took Honda's first WTCC win today in the Accord.

VkmSpouge
21st September 2008, 18:03
I would hope they continue with the Civic, it's a lovely looking little car, I prefer it to the Accord. Great that Thompson won in the Accord, quite an upset considering the Accord hasn't been all that good this year.

Alfa Fan
21st September 2008, 19:23
OK so based on what we've heard so far, it looks like the following won't be back next year: Arkas Racing & Erkut Kizilirmak (Bell back at GSR?) SEAT Sport UK Team Eurotech & Mike Jordan

Confirmed (or near as) as being back Triple Eight Giovanardi & Neal WSR Turkington Dynamics Shedden Motorbase 3 Drivers Matt Jackson Anyone else?

Micholly
21st September 2008, 20:06
The commentators mentioned a meeting between BMW and TOCA during the race coverage. It would be great to see a full works team, especially if Priaux made the jump.

What happened to the rumour of James Thompson in a third team Halfords car? And they were looking to move to biofuel/diesel?

I wasn't paying attention to the Cupra races. But the winner was promised a SEAT sponsored drive for 2009. Is that still the case?

And who is going to get the two ex-works SEATS?

If i win the euromillions on Friday, i'll get Ford, Volvo, Honda, Chevrolet and BMW to enter for you.

Jon411
21st September 2008, 20:28
OK so based on what we've heard so far, it looks like the following won't be back next year: Arkas Racing & Erkut Kizilirmak (Bell back at GSR?) SEAT Sport UK Team Eurotech & Mike Jordan

Confirmed (or near as) as being back Triple Eight Giovanardi & Neal WSR Turkington Dynamics Shedden Motorbase 3 Drivers Matt Jackson Anyone else?

Watching the ITV commentary today:

Colin said that he had no contract signed for next year with WSR and as it stood at the moment today was his last race with them, but hoped to be back with them next year.

Mat Jackson was even less certain to me - he said he wasn't sure what he was doing, but he would like to be back in the BTCC next year ;)

Another manufacturer name mentioned on the BTCC forum recently has been Volvo... I can see sense in that considering the took the C30 to Brands Hatch for the WTCC event, where they were trying to demonstrate the car's capabilities. Would probably be more likely than Ford I guess considering the C30 is already built and running in Swden - where as Ford would have to start from scratch?

BTCC2
21st September 2008, 20:33
I expect to see Plato in a WTCC SEAT next year.

He made a few comments today that to me anyway, sounded as though he was on his way out of the BTCC.

touringlegend
21st September 2008, 20:56
Re Volvo remember at the Brands WTCC event John Cleland said the Volvo dealers should club together to get a team in the BTCC. Perhaps John's been busy recently! (considering he has a Volvo dealership).

(this is just 2+2 probably equaling 5 stuff and I expect it to be shot down in flames soon!)

VkmSpouge
21st September 2008, 21:08
OK so based on what we've heard so far, it looks like the following won't be back next year: ...Team Eurotech & Mike Jordan

Where did you hear that? I heard Harvey and Edwards mentioning Jordan might retire but nothing about Eurotech going anywhere.

Watching the ITV commentary today:

Colin said that he had no contract signed for next year with WSR and as it stood at the moment today was his last race with them, but hoped to be back with them next year.

Mat Jackson was even less certain to me - he said he wasn't sure what he was doing, but he would like to be back in the BTCC next year ;)

Well six months to go, lots of things will be up in the air ;) I mean we don't even know what grid girls they're going to have yet.

c8nay
21st September 2008, 22:32

That could well change though (and a few other articles via google):

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/229327/

but looking at the Infiniti Europe website the only model that looks near suitable is the G37, but its 3.7 litre engine might be pushing the S2000 rules a bit so I can't see them on the grid next year.

dwracing23
21st September 2008, 23:05
so rumours: so I hear young jordan to Team Honda, old jordan to retire - BMW team with AP+MJ - an alfa with a surprise - maybe even a ford? cant see it but would be good - 5 leons with a twist (not sure from where though) - the championship less one red integra - who knows this is the rumour page?! anyone heard anythinig else?

David_Hill
23rd September 2008, 22:29
Hmm, the series really needs another manufacturer really now SEAT have gone, I can't see Vauxhall sticking around if they're the only one. Very interesting to see Honda at the finale (And with a Honda win too!) although I reckon they'll just make Team Dynamics the 'works' Hondas rather than develop new cars to compete with them. Same with BMW. WSR have won the indie championship twice in a row, it makes sense to team up with them than run a brand new team. Can't see Ford joining, not with all the financial fun they're having...can't see them justifying the cost. I think it's more likely Volvo will enter WTCC rather than BTCC, more brand exposure on the world stage.

Clyde Valley seem to have the cars, the sponsor, the drivers...they might actually make it yet! I like the announcements and intentions from people like WSR already, looks promising for next year. Would love to see who'll get their hands on the SEAT diesels though, I can see a scrap forming for those!

You won't see Thompson in BTCC, like it or not, it's a step down from WTCC and they've only just developed the car into a race winner. Althhhhhhhough...I have heard a wee rumour from someone that worls within the WTCC that SEAT are looking very dodgy for next year, as are Chevy (Although RML want to carry on with the project as indies). So with only BMW, Lada, and semi-works Honda the WTCC would be as good as dead? Drivers to BTCC? Long shot.

VXRDartford
23rd September 2008, 22:54
On the BTCC website it says that John George is hoping to be out in a car in October so hopefully he will b back next year.

Seat diesels will be going back to Spain can't see anyone wanting them anyway as the still need lots more development.

AndySpeed
23rd September 2008, 23:31
On the BTCC website it says that John George is hoping to be out in a car in October so hopefully he will b back next year.

Seat diesels will be going back to Spain can't see anyone wanting them anyway as the still need lots more development.

George is racing in an amateur sportscar race at Brands Hatch in six weeks time, I know that for sure. Not sure about him being out in a BTCC Car though.

Also, considering that to win the independents title you have to be super-consistent (Turkington finished every race this year!) I can't see teams scrabbling too hard to buy SEAT diesels with patchy reliability...

Chrism
24th September 2008, 09:06
Bo you think we will see the likes of KWR and BTC racing next year if so in what??? Also will Robertshaw be out there again and will they be in newer cars?

Chrism
24th September 2008, 09:59
Just seen the BTC seats and the Robertshaw Chevys up for sale.

Brown, Jon Brow
24th September 2008, 12:17
Hmm, the series really needs another manufacturer really now SEAT have gone, I can't see Vauxhall sticking around if they're the only one. Very interesting to see Honda at the finale (And with a Honda win too!) although I reckon they'll just make Team Dynamics the 'works' Hondas rather than develop new cars to compete with them. Same with BMW. WSR have won the indie championship twice in a row, it makes sense to team up with them than run a brand new team.

If BMW enter a works team it will almost certainly be with Mat Jackson and BMW Dealer Team UK. WSR is completely independent, but BMW Dealer Team UK is almost like a semi-works team with the input that BMW and RBM put in. Two works RBM BMW's in 2009 for Mat Jackson and Andy Priaulx is a big rumour.

If Team Dynamics becomes the works Honda team will it be the end of Team Halfords? Surely Honda would want their cars in a red and white Honda livery rather than an orange Halfords one.

AndySpeed
24th September 2008, 13:17
Just seen the BTC seats and the Robertshaw Chevys up for sale.

The Chevys have been up for sale since the mid-season though, and since they're 2006-spec perhaps Robertshaw are looking for something a little newer.

If Team Dynamics becomes the works Honda team will it be the end of Team Halfords? Surely Honda would want their cars in a red and white Honda livery rather than an orange Halfords one.

Halfords have so far been an excellent sponsor in the BTCC haven't they? Every year since 2002. If that happened, I'd imagine they might switch teams as they did in 2004.

MBailey06
24th September 2008, 13:49
Well BTC according to one site are contemplating running a Leon next year, which I think would be very interesting, as Stockton has often outperformed in machinery that shouldn't be that quick, similiar to Adam Jones.

Chrism
24th September 2008, 15:09
Also WSR to try run a 3rd car, i think Plato should evaluate a move to partner Turkington

David_Hill
24th September 2008, 18:26
If BMW enter a works team it will almost certainly be with Mat Jackson and BMW Dealer Team UK. WSR is completely independent, but BMW Dealer Team UK is almost like a semi-works team with the input that BMW and RBM put in. Two works RBM BMW's in 2009 for Mat Jackson and Andy Priaulx is a big rumour.

I'm not convinced, one car family run team becoming a works team over larger ex-works WSR? I'd like to see Jackson in a works BMW, that'd definitely give Gio something to worry about then, and I see your point about the RBM input, but I feel WSR would be a better bet. And Priaulx back to BTCC? Only if WTCC falls over, why would he want to take a step down/back? And with Plato a free agent...

Doubt even works Honda would turn down sponsorship from Halfords, livery might just be 'tweaked' hah. Or just more Honda logos, remember Nissan being a bit peeved Team Dynamics wasn't displaying Nissan all over the red Primera when they were assisting the indie team?

BTC wanting Leons...I bet lots of people want Leons but it's all down to raising the money. Would be great to see the team with something a little more competitive and reliable, I really rate Stockton. And I hope Mike Jordan doesn't retire but the article on Crash.net seems to show he'll sacrifice his seat for a competitive one car team for Andrew. John Guest BMW or SEAT next year perhaps if he sticks with the family team?

One more thing, as the Vectra is now extinct, I assume Vauxhall will be racing the new Insignia? That'll look mega!

VXRDartford
24th September 2008, 18:36
I'm not convinced, one car family run team becoming a works team over larger ex-works WSR? I'd like to see Jackson in a works BMW, that'd definitely give Gio something to worry about then, and I see your point about the RBM input, but I feel WSR would be a better bet. And Priaulx back to BTCC? Only if WTCC falls over, why would he want to take a step down/back? And with Plato a free agent...

Doubt even works Honda would turn down sponsorship from Halfords, livery might just be 'tweaked' hah. Or just more Honda logos, remember Nissan being a bit peeved Team Dynamics wasn't displaying Nissan all over the red Primera when they were assisting the indie team?

BTC wanting Leons...I bet lots of people want Leons but it's all down to raising the money. Would be great to see the team with something a little more competitive and reliable, I really rate Stockton. And I hope Mike Jordan doesn't retire but the article on Crash.net seems to show he'll sacrifice his seat for a competitive one car team for Andrew. John Guest BMW or SEAT next year perhaps if he sticks with the family team?

One more thing, as the Vectra is now extinct, I assume Vauxhall will be racing the new Insignia? That'll look mega!

Vauxhall confirmed a while ago that they will continue to race the Vectra next year (either on autosport or crash.net)

VX_Rules
24th September 2008, 19:48
Vectra may be extinct but the Insignia VXR had not quite been born yet...

mattie007
24th September 2008, 21:30
WSR is completely independent

Doesn't mean to say they can't become a manufacturer team. Afterall they have had plenty of experience when running the Ford Mondeo and MG ZS works teams.

Brown, Jon Brow
24th September 2008, 23:09

Some people think that BMW Dealer Team UK was not the true family run independent team this year that we are led to believe, due to the amount of backing they received from BMW and RBM. They were the only BMW's this year with a BMW endorsed 'Efficient Dynamics' branding, similar to what the works BMW's have in the WTCC. Plus they had BMW engineer Chris Tee as team principle.

Chances are that if BMW decide to enter, RMB will just incorporate BMW Dealer Team UK.

Andy Priaulx is under contract by BMW UK and will have to race where he is told to. Giovanardi made the same switch and Andy seems unhappy at the moment in the WTCC.

Doesn't mean to say they can't become a manufacturer team. Afterall they have had plenty of experience when running the Ford Mondeo and MG ZS works teams.

As I already said, BMW Dealer Team UK already has stronger links to BMW than what WSR has.

AndySpeed
24th September 2008, 23:13
From a marketing point of view, it might sound better to say 'Andy Priaulx and BMW - 3 times World, European and British Touring Car Champion' rather than just rack up more WTCC titles? Especially if BMW want to target higher sales in the UK at the moment.

Brown, Jon Brow
24th September 2008, 23:18
From a marketing point of view, it might sound better to say 'Andy Priaulx and BMW - 3 times World, European and British Touring Car Champion' rather than just rack up more WTCC titles? Especially if BMW want to target higher sales in the UK at the moment.

And because the FIA are doing all they can to stop BMW winning the WTCC again. BMW themselves are also probably sick of a Brit winning too, they'd much prefer a German driver to win for them.

Jon411
25th September 2008, 00:53
If it does happen I can't see the BMW contract going anywhere else now other than RBM/ Jacksons now as I couldn't see BMW wanting to support 3 cars - so with Motorbase and WSR both looking at 3 car teams and more sponsors - I can't see them getting any works backing (I know if was fairly obvious which team was most likely to get it anyway).

Apparently a German motorsports website is reporting that a well known British driver is looking to do a deal to race with Wiechers sport for Japan and Macau - anyone heard anything?

The initial names that spring to mind to me were Mat Jackson or Colin Turkington? Jackson because of RBM and BMW and Turkington as WSR were not sure if they would be doing another race this year.

BDunnell
25th September 2008, 10:56
And I hope Mike Jordan doesn't retire but the article on Crash.net seems to show he'll sacrifice his seat for a competitive one car team for Andrew. John Guest BMW or SEAT next year perhaps if he sticks with the family team?

I think that either of those options would be better than the much-touted Team Dynamics Civic.

MBailey06
25th September 2008, 16:15
I hope it isn't a SEAT or BMW for Andy Jordan, I'm sure we would have enough of them already.

Allyc85
25th September 2008, 20:41
Yea same herwe, but I cant see them taking a risk with S2000 machinery thats unproven in this country.

David_Hill
25th September 2008, 21:50
SEAT diesels going up for sale, reckon there'll be any takers? GR Asia have already ruled it out apparently, although race winning cars with plenty of (expensive) development potential? Iffy reliability though.

Re Andy Jordan, agreed not too many competitive second hand s2000 options, but having bought ex-TD Integras, they could go for this years Civic and carry on the TD relationship? Just a guess. I know what's more likely though.

tisme
25th September 2008, 23:25
Interesting to see on the official BTCC site that someone says that Plato has been seen talking a lot to Motorbase!

Perhaps a drive for next year?

I have also heard that Michael Caine is one of the drivers Motorbase are looking at! As they don't run Porsches anymore, it can only be for their touring cars?

Alfa Fan
26th September 2008, 11:12
Kane & Caine in the team would be a bit awkward for the commentators next season...

PDS
26th September 2008, 12:20
Kane & Caine in the team would be a bit awkward for the commentators next season...
What, you mean like Jordan and Jordan? And didn't we have Jones and Jones in 2006?

FastRed
26th September 2008, 12:52
Did anyone see them at BTCC Brands Hatch at the weekend just gone?? will be good see them compete next year

Abo
26th September 2008, 14:22
Did anyone see them at BTCC Brands Hatch at the weekend just gone?? will be good see them compete next year

Yeah, some more info here:

http://snipurl.com/3uv3c

FastRed
26th September 2008, 14:53
not quite!! but have since found this

http://cartridgeworldcarbonzeroracing.co.uk/

cos
28th September 2008, 22:56
Plato to Robertshaw? Probably not, but you never know.
http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/motorsport-racing/2008/09/28/plato-dream-may-come-true-for-racing-boss-79310-21915214/

tisme
28th September 2008, 23:35
I think this sums up the story... "And although it looks highly unlikely that the honorary Geordie will accept the drive, it would be a dream come true for the privateer squad

Eurotech
29th September 2008, 19:16
Its more likely he'd be at Motorbase!

Eurotech
29th September 2008, 19:18
What, you mean like Jordan and Jordan? And didn't we have Jones and Jones in 2006?
Jones and Jones were also both in Lexus ISs and racing as Xero and Forward (run by Xero) and there was also Smith and Smith that year

EavesFan09
12th October 2008, 08:42
One rumour is VXR are going to do quite well in 2009. :p :

Also, and I don't know if it has already been covered but Michael Doyle could return. He has recieved backing from the Scottish Sun newspaper.

Eurotech
29th October 2008, 17:56
Jonathan Adam seems to be looking at a Motorbase drive next year:
http://www.btcc.net/html/generalnews_detail.php?id=1205

tdb
9th November 2008, 02:21
Heard today the Daniel Welch is goingto buy an s2000 touring car for next year.

Apparently the marriot deal is dependant on being on the btcc package and they don't want to do any of the support options.

So Dan in a Seat?

AndySpeed
9th November 2008, 04:06
Heard today the Daniel Welch is goingto buy an s2000 touring car for next year.

Apparently the marriot deal is dependant on being on the btcc package and they don't want to do any of the support options.

So Dan in a Seat?

Interesting... marriot stumping up the fiunds to buy wichhg s200 touring ca?>R$

Eurotech
10th November 2008, 16:43
Well, SEAT, Honda, Alfa, Vauxhall maybe even a Peugeot, Audi or Volvo..

dwracing23
26th November 2008, 18:27
Any rumours?? Plenty, the world wouldnt go around with out rumours at this time of year!

AndySpeed
26th November 2008, 19:22
Any rumours?? Plenty, the world wouldnt go around with out rumours at this time of year!

Another helpful and constructive post.

PDS
27th November 2008, 17:28
Another helpful and constructive post.
You seem to be posting a lot of ANGRY posts just lately Andy? Calm down mate!

I heard that Daniel Welch has been looking at BMW's as well!

Shame about the Exchange rate at the moment.

dwracing23
29th November 2008, 20:54
Heard some very positive news about CVR today (if you can call them that with the guys that may be running the operation) anyway I’m sure it will really shock some people if the second driver comes off! I hope they get the deal together as I think they will be very competitive with mr eaves in the seat.

The car should arrive mid December.

VkmSpouge
29th November 2008, 21:55
I really do hope Team CVR manage to work out. It would be great to see Dan Eaves back.

You seem to be posting a lot of ANGRY posts just lately Andy? Calm down mate!

I heard that Daniel Welch has been looking at BMW's as well!

Shame about the Exchange rate at the moment.

Well he doesn't have to go into the Euro zone to buy a BMW, if he's happy with second hand the pound has held it's value against the Danish Kroner and Swedish Kronor.

LiamM
30th November 2008, 10:53
I really do hope Team CVR manage to work out. It would be great to see Dan Eaves back.

Well he doesn't have to go into the Euro zone to buy a BMW, if he's happy with second hand the pound has held it's value against the Danish Kroner and Swedish Kronor.

The pound still has a lot of value against the pound too! Theres a few BMWs in Britain too

Eurotech
30th November 2008, 21:39
DW Racing is go! Watch this space.......

has no one else noticed this?

mattie007
30th November 2008, 22:14
Heard some very positive news about CVR today (if you can call them that with the guys that may be running the operation) anyway I’m sure it will really shock some people if the second driver comes off! I hope they get the deal together as I think they will be very competitive with mr eaves in the seat.

The car should arrive mid December.

Plato?

VkmSpouge
30th November 2008, 22:20
has no one else noticed this?

Well that really could mean anything.

tdb
30th November 2008, 23:47
it's not Btcc related.

tdb
2nd December 2008, 20:32
Spotted testing a formula ford at silverstone today. apparently Daryl Wilson(team48)was there.

norwichsam1
3rd December 2008, 07:10
James Thompson to be testing the Team Dynamics civic at Donington 2day (motorsport news)

Dickie L'Amour
3rd December 2008, 12:05
New team Tempus Sport joining with two '08 Lacettis, one for Vaulkhard and with backup from RML (btcc.net)

christophulus
3rd December 2008, 16:58
New team Tempus Sport joining with two '08 Lacettis, one for Vaulkhard and with backup from RML (btcc.net)

Seems to have been confirmed by Autosport http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72301

VX_Rules
3rd December 2008, 17:48
Team 48 still exist????

Eurotech
3rd December 2008, 18:01
They never really did...

PDS
3rd December 2008, 18:32
Team48 do exist! http://www.team48.co.uk/

Just not in Touring Cars!

VkmSpouge
3rd December 2008, 18:46
Looks like Harry be in time for next season :D .

Very good to have Harry Vaulkhard coming back next year with this year's WTCC Chevies. Hopefully Tempus Sport can quickly find their feet in touring cars and get a decent driver to partner Vaulkhard.

DazzlaF1
3rd December 2008, 22:53
Looks like Harry be in time for next season :D .

Very good to have Harry Vaulkhard coming back next year with this year's WTCC Chevies. Hopefully Tempus Sport can quickly find their feet in touring cars and get a decent driver to partner Vaulkhard.

Also it keeps another make in the series, excellent news, and two cars as well, wonder if Allison will make a return.

How i see it so far

VAUXHALL: Giovanardi, ??
WEST SURREY BMW: Turkington, ??
DYNAMICS HONDA: ??, ??
ARENA FORD: Chilton, ??
MOTORBASE BMW: Kane, Collard
CLYDE VALLEY SEAT: Eaves, Billmoria
KARTWORLD MG: Hughes, ??
TEMPUS CHEVROLET: Vaulkhard, ??
BTC SEAT: ??, ??
EUROTECH VAUXHALL: A. Jordan
SCOTTISH SUN HONDA: Doyle

Thats a possible 20 cars representing 7 different makes

Eurotech
4th December 2008, 17:28
Neal has already been confirmed at VXR for next year

BDunnell
4th December 2008, 22:05
In the current economic climate, it will be a real achievement for the BTCC grid in 2009 to be larger than it was at the end of 2005. I think it's very possible.

AndySpeed
4th December 2008, 22:18
I think that with Honda's apparently likely withdrawal from Formula One that they should keep themself firmly in top level motorsport by entering the BTCC. But of course I would think like that!

VkmSpouge
4th December 2008, 22:24
In the current economic climate, it will be a real achievement for the BTCC grid in 2009 to be larger than it was at the end of 2005. I think it's very possible.

I would certainly hope for more than 17 cars. I wonder if anyone can think back to the last recession to hit the UK in the early 90s, how many cars on average did the BTCC have on its grids?

BDunnell
4th December 2008, 22:28
I would certainly hope for more than 17 cars. I wonder if anyone can think back to the last recession to hit the UK in the early 90s, how many cars on average did the BTCC have on its grids?

The grids were healthy, certainly, though I should imagine that (taking inflation into account) buying a car like an ex-works M3 was cheaper then. Crowds increased at that time as well, of course.

Alfa Fan
4th December 2008, 22:28

Given we've got 14-16 firm entries already it's not looking too bad.

mattie007
4th December 2008, 22:34
Any Alfa's?

tisme
5th December 2008, 00:57
Possible!

tisme
5th December 2008, 15:02
Spoke to someone from a team today. The story of Plato in a RWD car will not go away!

Almost a 'done-deal' I was told! Rumour is that he will have Kane as a team mate.

Brilliant news.

VX_Rules
5th December 2008, 16:53
BMW manufacturer? Collard wouldnt leave Motorbase would he?

VkmSpouge
5th December 2008, 16:56
Spoke to someone from a team today. The story of Plato in a RWD car will not go away!

Almost a 'done-deal' I was told! Rumour is that he will have Kane as a team mate.

Brilliant news.

Jason Plato and Steven Kane racing for a new team of Mercedes-Benz C200s? :p :

Brown, Jon Brow
5th December 2008, 17:57
Honda was pulled out of the BTCC in 2005 when it increased its involvement in F1. Now they have quit F1 could they see the BTCC as a cheap way of keeping some motorsport marketing?

Robinho
5th December 2008, 19:58
whilst they're getting brand exposure from Team Dynamics for bugger all expenditure? i doubt the leaving F1 is any sort of portent of increased involvement in any Touring car series

tyreman2
7th December 2008, 00:00
Team48 do exist! http://www.team48.co.uk/

Just not in Touring Cars!

Just like to put you all in the picture over team 48 and the formula ford test
PT Motorsport who would have run the BTCC project on behalf of Team 48(Luther Blissett etc.) where looking after the 2008 scholarship class winning Ray FF for this test but this has nothing to do with Team 48
D.W Racing has an arrangement with a major sponsor to compete in next season's Formula Ford championship.
If a driver (s) with funding can be found to do this a new team will be formed called D.W.P.T to compete in this championship
Meanwhile PT Motorsport are intending to enter the 2009 BTCC with Darrele Wilson driving, if the funds can be found. We have made an offer for an Alfa 156 and we own the gorgeous (not) green car seen at last years media day and about 20K's worth of spares but we won't be making any rash statements ala Team 48 untill a proper budget is in place

VkmSpouge
7th December 2008, 01:40
Well I wish them good luck and hope they can do it.

DazzlaF1
13th December 2008, 17:45

That was when supertouring was in its early days was'nt it (1991)?

That year they usually got between 18 and 22 cars for each race except for the final round when it was i think 25 cars

A Scotsman
14th December 2008, 10:02
So what's the rumour mill saying about Shedden in 09?

jayboyderby
16th December 2008, 10:57
has any1 heard about kia enterin? has tht been confirmed?

jayboyderby
16th December 2008, 10:58
i heard tht shedden woz gunna b at halfords wiv dave pinkney & thommo.

Captain VXR
16th December 2008, 16:57
i heard tht shedden woz gunna b at halfords wiv dave pinkney & thommo.

I noes can undrstnd txt spk :p

VkmSpouge
16th December 2008, 19:09
has any1 heard about kia enterin? has tht been confirmed?

Nope, actually I've nothing about Kia at all.

Alfa Fan
18th December 2008, 13:00
Team Dynamics have one of their 2008 Civics for sale in Autosport today. So does that mean they're only going to be running one car in 2009? Or are they building new Civics and have already sold the other one? (to Dave Pinkney maybe?)

AndySpeed
18th December 2008, 14:37
Team Dynamics have one of their 2008 Civics for sale in Autosport today. So does that mean they're only going to be running one car in 2009? Or are they building new Civics and have already sold the other one? (to Dave Pinkney maybe?)

When they ran Integra's in 2005 they went ahead and built new ones for 2006, despite winning the championship with the car after only one year. I wouldn't be surprised if they're only upgrading to a newer build, creating a few more S2000 Civics.

VkmSpouge
18th December 2008, 19:07

The Civic that Pinkney tested was a new one according to the report:

http://www.btcc.net/html/generalnews_detail.php?id=1215&month=0&year=2008&form=&searchterm=

tdb
18th December 2008, 19:15
Autosport also reports that Mr Plato has been talking to WSR and he really rates the car.

Micholly
18th December 2008, 20:16
When they ran Integra's in 2005 they went ahead and built new ones for 2006, despite winning the championship with the car after only one year. I wouldn't be surprised if they're only upgrading to a newer build, creating a few more S2000 Civics.

One of this year's civics is up for sale in Autosport. Its even got a quote from James Thompson saying its a race winner in the right hands.

norwichsam1
24th December 2008, 16:19
Well I guess todays news that BMW Accident Exchange are pulling their sponsorship for Mat Jackson, and the fact that BMW Dealer team is reverting back to Jackson's motorsport finally puts to bed the rumours that BMW would be joining the BTCC as a manufacturer entry. Sad to see, just a case of fingers crossed now that they can find the sponsorship to keep Mat in the championship and the car competitive.

AndySpeed
24th December 2008, 17:07
Advertising and sponsorship is one of the areas hardest hit by the economic downturn though, which is going to make pretty hard in all areas of motorsport next year. I hope the team can continue, I believe they should be able to.

#1JamesThompsonFan
25th December 2008, 23:30
Great news Paul O'Neill has signed with Martyn Bell in the two ex Eurotech Integras for 2009.

BTCC2
25th December 2008, 23:37
Great news Paul O'Neill has signed with Martyn Bell in the two ex Eurotech Integras for 2009.

Source?

VkmSpouge
26th December 2008, 02:28

I would like to know the source too as well as seeing the precise wording of it. I hope it is true but I'm not getting excited about it yet.

#1JamesThompsonFan
26th December 2008, 12:09
I would like to know the source too as well as seeing the precise wording of it. I hope it is true but I'm not getting excited about it yet.

The source is Motorsport News. 3rd or 4th page. right in the middle. sunshine.co.uk is sponsering them.

Northern Monkey
26th December 2008, 12:35
Motorsport News isn't even out this week is it? It was the double xmas edition last week.

#1JamesThompsonFan
26th December 2008, 12:36
Motorsport News isn't even out this week is it? It was the double xmas edition last week.

I got mine through post xmas eve. Didnt read it until yesterday

AndySpeed
26th December 2008, 13:02

Which is what I thought, until the Christmas Review edition came through the front door wednesday!

Just read the O'Neill/Bell story. I can't see the Integra's remaining at the front though.

VkmSpouge
26th December 2008, 14:50
The source is Motorsport News. 3rd or 4th page. right in the middle. sunshine.co.uk is sponsering them.

Well that is good. The Integra is a decent car though getting long in the tooth but hopefully o'Neill will be able to put in some good performances.

Tempus Sport have taken delivery of their first Chevrolet Lacetti with Rob Huff shaking it down for them (http://www.crash.net/motorsport/btcc/news/172884-0/huff_completes_tempus_shakedown.html). I wonder who their second driver will be?

Allyc85
28th December 2008, 17:14
Kind of disappointed that O'Neil has only got himself an Integra. After being in a GT car challenging for victories its surely going to be frustrating driving an aging car?

VkmSpouge
28th December 2008, 17:41
I found this little snippet while browsing around: http://www.ian-court-racing.co.uk/latest%20news.htm
I certainly hope Ian Court can enter in an Alfa.

Brooklands78
28th December 2008, 18:06
Kind of disappointed that O'Neil has only got himself an Integra. After being in a GT car challenging for victories its surely going to be frustrating driving an aging car?

An ageing car that still ran at the front of the field and achieved podium finishes last season, so maybe Paul can get something out of it! At least it's giving him the opportunity of a full season's racing in BTCC - something he's not had for the past couple of seasons.

Adam Bollons
28th December 2008, 22:15
Belly and Owy in the same team? No prizes for guessing the most popular team with the fans. Im really pleased that both of them will be in the mix. Good luck guys!

Eurotech
29th December 2008, 13:10
Martyn should be able to learn from Paul and improve as the season goes on. Maybe Erkut will join the team in 2010...

Alfa Fan
31st December 2008, 14:08
It looks like Ian Court may have bought one of the ex-A-Tech Alfa Romeo 156s as there is only one of them for sale in Autosport now.

PDS
31st December 2008, 16:00
The only Alfa that A-tech has sold has gone to Eastern Europe! The second one is still for sale.

So it is not the one that Ian Court has, assumng he has one already.

DazzlaF1
1st January 2009, 18:56
Doesnt really matter that he's in an ageing car, the imprtant thing is its just great to actually see him back on the grid.

And Integra may be an ageing car, but look at Andrew Jordan last season, its still capable of decent results

Eurotech
1st January 2009, 23:56
Any news on the Plato situation?

dwracing23
4th January 2009, 22:59
So it is not the one that Ian Court has, assumng he has one already.

I dont think Ian has a car yet, but is looking at several Alfa's in the right hands in terms if team and driver it can still be a good car!

Good luck to Paulo and Bell this year, think Paul will spring a few results.

Alfa Fan
5th January 2009, 18:35
Vauxhall will announce their 3rd driver at 11AM on Thursday morning. I guess this means it's not going to be Tom Onslow-Cole then...

VkmSpouge
5th January 2009, 18:42
I don't think it necessarily means it won't be Tom Onslow-Cole, Vauxhall might simply want a little extra publicity by doing it this way.

VX_Rules
6th January 2009, 12:29
Why on earth they would get rid of The OC I don't know. :/

We'll just have to wait and see.

*Just had thought*

Plato.... NOOOOO.

Alfa Fan
6th January 2009, 16:04
So what are we expecting to be announced at Autosport?

- Vauxhall will be announcing their 3rd driver on Thursday at 11
- Arena Ford will be announcing their 2nd driver at some point on Thurs/Fri
- West Surrey Racing are expected to be there (possibly confirming their driver line-up)
- Rumour has it we'll know at least one of the Dynamics drivers
- Same with the 2nd Tempus Sport Chevvy.

Any other announcements due?

tisme
6th January 2009, 19:39
Vauxhall will announce their 3rd driver at 11AM on Thursday morning. I guess this means it's not going to be Tom Onslow-Cole then...

I thought the third driver was mentioned ages ago?

VkmSpouge
6th January 2009, 19:41

- Vauxhall will be announcing their 3rd driver on Thursday at 11
- West Surrey Racing are expected to be there (possibly confirming their driver line-up)
- Rumour has it we'll know at least one of the Dynamics drivers
- Same with the 2nd Tempus Sport Chevvy.

Any other announcements due?

It would be quite a good show if we get all of those announcements.

btracer
8th January 2009, 13:01
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72652

cos
8th January 2009, 15:03

"We are definitely running two - although we don't know who the second driver is yet"
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72667

Alfa Fan
8th January 2009, 15:09
Tom Chilton said in an interview on btcc.net before christmas that they'd be naming their 2nd driver at Autosport. Something must have happened?

VkmSpouge
8th January 2009, 19:05

It would be very good to have Tom Coronel join the championship, I hope they choose the BTCC over the WTCC.

stevevxr
8th January 2009, 19:53
What's happened to tom-o-c ????

PDS
8th January 2009, 21:04
There are still some seats left for him!

Possible two at Motorbase.
Possible two at Arena.
Possible two at RAC.
One at Tempus.
One at CVR.

Robinho
9th January 2009, 12:21
isn't there at least one seat at Halfords now Chilton has gone - not seen anything confirming Shedden either yet?

Alfa Fan
9th January 2009, 12:58
One would assume PDS already knows whose in a TD!

tdb
9th January 2009, 19:09
The TD civic on show at autosport show has No Halfords on it!

Brown, Jon Brow
9th January 2009, 19:14

Really? Potential works Honda?

Team Honda instead of Team Halfords?

m0rk
9th January 2009, 20:45

Figures - they're struggling big time at the moment

tdb
9th January 2009, 22:37
Really? Potential works Honda?

Team Honda instead of Team Halfords?

I doubt it, i was told the Honda backing had been withdrawn, support vehicles returned etc.

Looks like Mr Pinkney is the main man now.

cos
9th January 2009, 23:36
Figures - they're struggling big time at the moment

Halfords aren't doing too bad given the current climate - yes they've had to shed a few jobs recently, but that's to be expected. They recently renewed their Dave motoring sponsorship for another year, which suggests they have enough spare cash in the marketing budget.

dwracing23
13th January 2009, 09:54
TD (not TH) - Thommo and Pickney??!!

I have also heard that Aviva have pulled the RAC sponsorship?! A good source at Norwich Union, only time will tell I suppose but they cars werent at the show!

PDS
13th January 2009, 17:45

I have also heard that Aviva have pulled the RAC sponsorship?! A good source at Norwich Union, only time will tell I suppose but they cars werent at the show!

Interestingly enough, Aviva are lised as one of the sponsors of the Porsche Carrera Cup UK!

Alfa Fan
13th January 2009, 17:54
Interestingly enough, Aviva are lised as one of the sponsors of the Porsche Carrera Cup UK!

Isn't that just the same RAC deal they had with them last season?

PDS
13th January 2009, 18:46
Yes. My point was that they are staying with Porsche but not with WSR!?

I thought the original WSR sonsorship package had one more year to run?

MattL
13th January 2009, 22:22
So many things could cause budgets to change in the current climate though...

Just one example: http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/engineering/article5488959.ece

BDunnell
13th January 2009, 22:29
So many things could cause budgets to change in the current climate though...

Just one example: http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/engineering/article5488959.ece

Indeed. As I said on here some weeks ago, a decent-sized BTCC grid this season will be a major achievement.

VkmSpouge
15th January 2009, 18:28
Well James Thompson has been released from his contract (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72801) with N-Technology. With Jason Plato also looking for a ride I hope someone in the BTCC can pick these two former champions up for the 2009 season.

ATF
16th January 2009, 13:09
Has anyone got any pics of the TD Honda (or indeed any other BTCC cars) at the Autosport show or can anyone point me in the right direction??

Dave B
16th January 2009, 14:56
Jelley has been officially confirmed alongside Turkington at Team RAC.

christophulus
16th January 2009, 15:16
Jelley has been officially confirmed alongside Turkington at Team RAC.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72827

Well that's me happy :)

cos
16th January 2009, 16:37
The Autosport article also notes that "WSR still plan to run a third BMW in the championship, although no drivers have yet been found for the seat."

PDS
16th January 2009, 16:47
Same as last year then!

VkmSpouge
16th January 2009, 19:01
A third WSR BMW would be good but considering the team haven't managed to run three cars since 2003, I won't hold my breath.

peewhee
16th January 2009, 19:55

Better check your Norwich Union insurance policy. You may not have what you paid for. ;)

Eurotech
17th January 2009, 10:09
The TD Civic was at the show but without any Halfords branding....

VX_Rules
17th January 2009, 11:04
Both Civics where there, one on the TD stand without Halfords on it, and another on a TD Sponsor stand with Halfords on it...

Dickie L'Amour
18th January 2009, 11:36

A very good source. Not being funny but wouldn't it be better to concentrate on your own team rather than make stuff up about those who are on the grid?

dwracing23
18th January 2009, 18:01
A very good source. Not being funny but wouldn't it be better to concentrate on your own team rather than make stuff up about those who are on the grid?

Thanks for that Dickie, it was only a source that heard it but it has proven to be incorrect, im not being funny either but im hardly slagging anyone off I am just what I was told and at the end of the day it is a "rumour page" isnt it? Arent rumours really what people hear?

With regards to my team, all is going very well thank you, the car is awesome and should win again this year! I'm looking forward to a great year actually, new year new start!

D

dwracing23
18th January 2009, 18:02
Just ask PDS!

VkmSpouge
19th January 2009, 19:05
Liam McMillan to enter in a SEAT Toledo, according to the Wisbech Standard (http://www.wisbech-standard.co.uk/content/wisbech/sport/snooker/story.aspx?brand=CATOnline&category=SportWISMotorsport&tBrand=HertsCambsOnline&tCategory=SnookerWIS&itemid=WEED19%20Jan%202009%2016%3A39%3A25%3A237).

BTCC2
19th January 2009, 21:58
Nice to see another youngster getting a chance.

As for the Plato/Thompson situation, as has been said before Thompson tested the TD Civic a while back and I wouldn't be suprised to see him there next year, but Jason Plato working alongside Steve Neal...I just don't see it do you? So In that case he's not really left with many options, unless of course Team RAC can find the funds for a third car.

LiamM
19th January 2009, 22:05
The only way Team RAC will find funds is if the driver pays it

BTCC2
19th January 2009, 22:38
The only way Team RAC will find funds is if the driver pays it

And I presume JP wouldn't be looking to do that.

He really isn't left with many other options then. I suppose the only new project with potential would be with the Arena Focus, but do you think that would also be a pay drive? I imagine so.

TCuns
20th January 2009, 14:13
What about the Seat Holland, Tom Coronel rumour, has that gone cold? Half wondered if there may be somes sort of opportunity for Plato with them?

tisme
20th January 2009, 15:48
Youv'e got more chance of seeing a Volvo on the grid this year than you will see SEAT Holland there!

There are really only two realistic chances for Plato to be in the 2009 BTCC. And they are getting slimmer every day!

Eurotech
20th January 2009, 19:04
It was in the Autosport International version of Autosport that Coronel wanted to enter and that SEAT Holland were really keen...

Marc W
20th January 2009, 20:56
Here's the story;

tisme
20th January 2009, 21:18
And, your point is?

I agree it makes a good story.

Marc W
20th January 2009, 21:19
I wasn't trying to make a point, i just thought people might want to see the story. Don't shoot the messenger!