PDA

View Full Version : WRC in Winter

Blitzerflitzer
15th July 2008, 19:41
Ups: Start in August, End in April...

http://www.rallye-magazin.de/r/wm/d/n/d/2008/07/15/wm-wintersaison-kommt/index.html

ProRally
15th July 2008, 20:47
Again.... they tried that already :D :D

AndyRAC
15th July 2008, 21:00
A joke, absolute idiots. We've heard this before, then it was quite rightly dropped. Why??
Whatever is their next crazy idea?
Run Sweden in summer, run Monte Carlo the week after the GP, Deutschland in January, etc
Why don't they just stop meddling with the WRC? There was nothing wrong with it 10 years ago, now look at it- a right shambles!! You'd think they were trying to kill it off.

DonJippo
15th July 2008, 21:55
A joke, absolute idiots. We've heard this before, then it was quite rightly dropped. Why??

What would change so much compared to current calendar?

Motorsportfun
16th July 2008, 17:45
I think that could be interesting, because all motorsport series - excluded A1GP and GP2 Asia - are not in action, so it could be a good way to find space on the biggest media, the national networks. Ford's Mark Deans said that TV is a vital aspect to the presence of a Manufacturer in the WRC. If that's the right way, so we've to go to. Thinking about it, even if a tv would broadcast the WRC, it can't do because maybe has Formula 1, WTCC, MotoGP, SBK, etc, and there is no place for "us". In winter, all these series are "sleeping". Think about, people!

Lousada
16th July 2008, 18:23
What would change so much compared to current calendar?

Exactly, why change if the rallies will be organised on the same dates anyway?

AndyRAC
16th July 2008, 20:34
I think that could be interesting, because all motorsport series - excluded A1GP and GP2 Asia - are not in action, so it could be a good way to find space on the biggest media, the national networks. Ford's Mark Deans said that TV is a vital aspect to the presence of a Manufacturer in the WRC. If that's the right way, so we've to go to. Thinking about it, even if a tv would broadcast the WRC, it can't do because maybe has Formula 1, WTCC, MotoGP, SBK, etc, and there is no place for "us". In winter, all these series are "sleeping". Think about, people!

I think they're living in cloud cuckoo land if they think the coverage is going to be better just because there's no other Motorsport taking place. The main reason the coverage isn't very good is because the WRC is a shambles, and is in the main boring. The sooner they realise this the better.
Why not have 12 rounds, which are all different and interesting, with lots of Manufacturer entries plus lots of Privateers, hopefully providing close competition. That's more likely to get better coverage than moving the season.

DonJippo
16th July 2008, 20:54
The main reason the coverage isn't very good is because the WRC is a shambles, and is in the main boring. The sooner they realise this the better.

I don't have any reason to complain about the coverage, we get plenty of it on national media, TV, radio, newspapers, internet just name it. But we do have drivers also in WRC so maybe that's the difference.

Motorsportfun
16th July 2008, 22:17
Rallying here in Italy is present on many channels, but just for news and reports (so 90 seconds or something like that)! Viewers have fun when they see it (in a small cafè, just for a "test", I watched WRC on Eurosport... and the people had fun!), but if there is no time to broadcast any image on major networks... it's normal that people don't know where find drivers and cars involved in the series!

EVERY programme about motorsport, from march to november, talks about Ferrari for the 50% of the time, 30% about MotoGP and Rossi. The minutes left (just someone.......) are for too much series (WRC, WTCC, Fia GT, SBK, Supercross, etc.) to have enough exposition for the Manufacturers. In Winter, simply, that problem wont be.

MikeD
17th July 2008, 08:43
I hated the idea the first time, and I still hate it. I agree with AndyRAC, that it's not the current calendar that is the reason WRC is in problems - is due to a poor TV coverage (among other things).

I think it's fine if they want to run a little more rallies in the beginning of the year and late in the year, but I hate the idea that we have to have 1 season of only 8 rallies. Somehow I feel that that championship wont really count.

PS: And and I think it's irritating calling "driver A" the "09/10 world champion" :D

General Prim
17th July 2008, 08:46
There is nothing to do in the weekend: football, F1, MotoGP. Would be much better to return WRC events from Monday to Wednesday, all newspapers pages for Rallying, all TV minutes for Rallying as was in the past. So no new (crazy) ideas, just use what you know it can work

Tomi
17th July 2008, 08:50
I don't have any reason to complain about the coverage, we get plenty of it on national media, TV, radio, newspapers, internet just name it. But we do have drivers also in WRC so maybe that's the difference.

Same here, hours from every event, and now reports from the tests as well, also the news if its anything that counts in very early stage, nothing to complaine about.

Tomi
17th July 2008, 09:14
Would be much better to return WRC events from Monday to Wednesday,

Dont know if its a good idea, rally is in the first place a spectator sport, it would be difficult fr many to get to the stages.

COD
17th July 2008, 09:26
I hated the idea the first time, and I still hate it. I agree with AndyRAC, that it's not the current calendar that is the reason WRC is in problems - is due to a poor TV coverage (among other things).

The idea behind this is, that TV-covarage would be better, if WRC would not compete on airtime with F1, MotpGP etc. So while you hate it, you still support the idea behind it????

Roy
17th July 2008, 09:34

And that is exactly why AndyRAC complains. Where are the good UK drivers... That he needs (WRC coverage in UK) and that is why the WRC needs it. After retired English native speeking drivers like Burns and McRae the coverage is down. I think 1+1=2 in this case.
WRC needs fast drivers from big countries. (Germany, France, UK, Italy.)

A part of the solution! Finaly I see! Maybe I can try to be the promotor of WRC ;)

Wilson, Meeke, Wilks, had a lot to learn... other drivers in the near future from UK?

AndyRAC
17th July 2008, 09:51
The idea behind this is, that TV-covarage would be better, if WRC would not compete on airtime with F1, MotpGP etc. So while you hate it, you still support the idea behind it????

Fine in theory, and I can understand the thinking. But I think the idea is flawed.
It doesn't matter how good or bad the WRC is/isn't the coverage in Finland will always be good - it is the 'home of Rallying'. However for the rest of Europe/World it isn't the case.
So what they are saying is, even though the same 4 drivers are dominating - if they move it to Winter - the coverage will be good?
Don't think so, sort the WRC out first, then the TV, media will come calling. All they do is bend over backwards for TV, ruin the sport, then wonder why it doesn't interest anybody.

MikeD
17th July 2008, 10:13

I know that it's because WRC wants more airtime on TV in the off-seaosn of F1, MotoGP etc, but first of all they should stop with the crappy TV-slots they are being offered by Eurosport - and instead get a TV deal with some better TV stations - and also bring more full TV coverage (Perhaps even live) on their web-site. But as I understand from Malcom Wilson then the TV coverage will be improved significantly with the new deal that is under way.

And in November, December January and February there is no F1 and MotoGP so WRC could easily start the season in January and run 4 rallies (out of 12) before the other big motorsport series start. And equally the could end the season by running 3 rallies in November and December when the there is little other motorsport events. That would mean that more than half of the rallies could be run without competition from F1, MotoGP etc.

For the remaining rallies run during the spring/summer they could run in selected weekends where F1 and/or MotoGP isn't running.

Tomi
17th July 2008, 10:16

A part of the solution! Finaly I see! Maybe I can try to be the promotor of WRC ;)

Wilson, Meeke, Wilks, had a lot to learn... other drivers in the near future from UK?

It would offcourse be good to have drivers from big countries, but that is not WRC's problem, more the big countries problem if they cant get anyone there.
A promotor would be good but they cant do much about who teams choose to drive for them, but the promotor could cut the wings of guys like Shektar Mehta or the current rally comission boss, the stylist Morrie Chandler.

AndyRAC
17th July 2008, 10:33
And that is exactly why AndyRAC complains. Where are the good UK drivers... That he needs (WRC coverage in UK) and that is why the WRC needs it. After retired English native speeking drivers like Burns and McRae the coverage is down. I think 1+1=2 in this case.

The FIA/ISC should be encouraging the Manufacturers from France, Germany & Italy - then you can put one driver from each country in their car, i;e Renault-Peugeot-Citroen, Opel, Fiat Abarth. This can only happen if the regulations are inviting for each Manufacturer.

Tomi
17th July 2008, 10:44
The FIA/ISC should be encouraging the Manufacturers from France, Germany & Italy - then you can put one driver from each country in their car, i;e Renault-Peugeot-Citroen, Opel, Fiat Abarth. This can only happen if the regulations are inviting for each Manufacturer.

Lol, if the teams are serious about the sport, they for sure choose their drivers in a different way, or do you think that if Loeb would be on Rautenbach's level as a driver that he would now drive the Citroen?

AndyRAC
17th July 2008, 11:04
Lol, if the teams are serious about the sport, they for sure choose their drivers in a different way, or do you think that if Loeb would be on Rautenbach's level as a driver that he would now drive the Citroen?

No, of course not. They can do what Citroen have done/are doing with the 2 Sebs - groom a young driver then when they are ready put them in their car.

Tomi
17th July 2008, 11:12
No, of course not. They can do what Citroen have done/are doing with the 2 Sebs - groom a young driver then when they are ready put them in their car.

That project is just as much old Seb's as it is Citroens, and it could be done without any particular manufacturer also, good example is Urmo Aava, good plan and a good choise of car to full fill it, after all it's only about convincing some team about the skills.

Rally Power
18th July 2008, 22:45
Would be much better to return WRC events from Monday to Wednesday, all newspapers pages for Rallying, all TV minutes for Rallying as was in the past. So no new (crazy) ideas, just use what you know it can work

Good Idea!!!

I still remember the old days Rally de Portugal beginning on a Wednesday and ending at the Saturday night…at that time the country was “closed”, because everybody followed the rally.

With the 12 courses calendar, each rally could growth at least a day (over to 500 stage kms), bringing the “adventurous” side of rallying.

In same way the Dakar “mediatic” interest that keeps hundreds of fans glued to the screen for 15 days, is linked with the standardization of the WRC rallys that took place in the late 90’s.

There’s no need to make up “super-rally” schemes or featuring super special stages in amazing and odd places, just respect the Rally Spirit and the old days legacy…

jso1985
19th July 2008, 04:10
It doesn't matter how good or bad the WRC is/isn't the coverage in Finland will always be good - it is the 'home of Rallying'. However for the rest of Europe/World it isn't the case.

and how you know it?
here WRC is the only motorsport and among the few sports we get on terrestrial TV
and with the cable TV coverage it gets, only F1 and TC2000 have better media exposure.
maybe the fact that our chances of having a national driver on the series are near 0% actually help that the interest doesn't go up and down like in the UK.

but back on topic, I don't think the "winter" calendar changes anything... instead of starting with Monte and finishing with Wales Rally, it starts with Rally Finland and finishes with Rally Greece or Turkey without changing the actual dates, right?