PDA

View Full Version : "The" Ross Brawn!!

Knock-on
6th July 2008, 14:24
How many of Ferrari's wins (Championships) were due to the excellence of this mans strategic brain?

markabilly
6th July 2008, 14:31
Hard to say, but Rubens is doing very well right now

ioan
6th July 2008, 14:45
There is no question that he, alone, is better than the whole strategy team Ferrari has at this moment.

I'll continue my rant about the poor Ferrari strategists in the other tread.

:up: RB & RB :up:

F1boat
6th July 2008, 15:45
I miss Ross at Ferrari!

ioan
6th July 2008, 16:16
I miss Ross at Ferrari!

They miss him too, they just won't say it.

Jag_Warrior
6th July 2008, 20:37
When you can get a dog on the podium mainly through strategy, that shows why Brawn gets the big bucks. I knew he was good, but I have a new respect for this guy's talents.

truefan72
6th July 2008, 20:48
When you can get a dog on the podium mainly through strategy, that shows why Brawn gets the big bucks. I knew he was good, but I have a new respect for this guy's talents.

I won't quite call Barrichello a dog, but his best days are behind him...but he was light years better than button today in the same exact car, against a driver who is usually pretty good in the wets.or maybe yo meant the car which is still awful.

But yes, Brawn deserves a lot of credit and certainly is worth the investment Honda made in him. I too have new found respect for him and it seams obvious that the group of guys around M.Schumacher at the time were all part of his success. What Ferrari are demonstrating now is what many feared would happen with their "Italians first" mentality in key positions, rather than employing the best people regardless of nationality. It is quite unimaginable to think that Jean Todt would have made the same bonehead decisions that ferrari did today.

jens
6th July 2008, 21:02
Considering the car isn't even quick enough to get into Q2 (as the last two weekends have shown), then Honda has really taken the maximum with strategies. 14 points is quite a good sum considering the pace of the machinery, but it'll be hard to get higher than P8 in the WCC if the car is not quick enough to score points on merit. But it'll be interesting to see, how many points will Honda collect in 2009 if the car is more capable (of course, if it is at all).

Jag_Warrior
6th July 2008, 21:46
I won't quite call Barrichello a dog, but his best days are behind him...but he was light years better than button today in the same exact car, against a driver who is usually pretty good in the wets.or maybe yo meant the car which is still awful.

I'm sorry that I was misunderstood. Yeah, I didn't mean Rubens. I meant the Honda RA108... a dog with fleas and ticks.

Sleeper
6th July 2008, 22:17
Honestly, I dont know, the only one that comes to mind is Hungry '98, and that was a combination of Schumy driving the nuts of the Ferrari and Brawn coming up with a very aggressive strategy. We've got to remember that Luca Baldaserie (sp?) has been calling the shots on strategy for at least the last 5 years and was Brawns second before that.

Got to say, I'm shocked that Honda were the only team to go for the full wets today consider the huge amount of time they made up over the rest of the field (I reckon Rubens made about 1:00 over every one else but Hamilton).

wedge
6th July 2008, 23:00
It's quite easy on TV to shout out "FULL WETS NOW!!" but certainly wouldn't want to be the person on pitwall to roll the dice.

That was a tough one to call because it that brief shower happened right at the final pit window.

The teams had a good idea it was a passing shower but you don't have an idea how the track will dry out and necessitate an extra stop for inters/slicks. Full wets are designed to clear water so they won't be too good in damp conditions because you can overheat them.

Rubens was able to consolidate his podium because nobody gambled and virtually a no-brainer.

ShiftingGears
7th July 2008, 01:34
Every team is secretly jealous of Brawn being the strategist at Honda.

ioan
7th July 2008, 07:16

But yes, Brawn deserves a lot of credit and certainly is worth the investment Honda made in him. I too have new found respect for him and it seams obvious that the group of guys around M.Schumacher at the time were all part of his success. What Ferrari are demonstrating now is what many feared would happen with their "Italians first" mentality in key positions, rather than employing the best people regardless of nationality. It is quite unimaginable to think that Jean Todt would have made the same bonehead decisions that ferrari did today.

Completely agree, the new "Italian" Ferrari team might have the best of the Italians but they are nowhere near the best there is.

Even Todt by himself would have made better decisions than what we saw yesterday.

kalasend
7th July 2008, 17:06
If Brawn is still with Ferrari, Massa and Kimi would be at least 6~10 points clear of the rest

Knock-on
8th July 2008, 11:54
If Brawn is still with Ferrari, Massa and Kimi would be at least 6~10 points clear of the rest

I agree that if brawn were still there, they would not be the laughing stock they currently are.

gravity
8th July 2008, 12:41
Why did he leave?
Was it a personal choice to get out of Ferrari? Some questions should be asked inside Ferrari as to why key personel in their management feel 'life outside of Ferrari' is better than in it.
Or was it a Ferrari decision to replace him? Even bigger questions about their decision if that was the case.

ArrowsFA1
8th July 2008, 13:01
Why did he leave?
When his departure from Ferrari was announced the statement said (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/55430): "After years of hard and demanding work, Ross Brawn has decided to turn his attention to his personal life..."

SGWilko
8th July 2008, 13:03
When his departure from Ferrari was announced the statement said (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/55430): "After years of hard and demanding work, Ross Brawn has decided to turn his attention to his personal life..."

:laugh: In the current circumstances, that statement poses more questions that it answers. :eek:

Knock-on
8th July 2008, 13:04

There was obviously rather a fractious environment post Schumacher.

Ross had proved everything with ferrari and perhaps he wanted a fresh challenge?

Daniel
8th July 2008, 13:27
I agree that if brawn were still there, they would not be the laughing stock they currently are.

ROTFLMAO. Leading both titles and they're a laughing stock. How much does Ron pay you? :confused: Laughing stock. Just like McLaren who didn't tell their driver to stop for a red light or who left him out on tyres which were down to the canvas last year? Mistakes happen.......

Daniel
8th July 2008, 13:28

Standard talk for "he's on gardening leave before going to another team"

8th July 2008, 14:13
Why did he leave?
Was it a personal choice to get out of Ferrari? Some questions should be asked inside Ferrari as to why key personel in their management feel 'life outside of Ferrari' is better than in it.
Or was it a Ferrari decision to replace him? Even bigger questions about their decision if that was the case.

There was obviously rather a fractious environment post Schumacher.

Ross had proved everything with ferrari and perhaps he wanted a fresh challenge?

No matter how good and how important to the success of a team, and Ross Brawn is the best there is, not even Ferrari can stop someone from leaving if they don't want to stay.

It was no surprise to me that, post-Schumi, Ross didn't fancy staying at Ferrari. It could have something to do with a 'fractious' environment, but I tend to believe it was more a case that having made himself a Tifosi legend, having won it all and returned glory to Maranello as part of the 'dream team', Brawn was on a hiding to nothing staying on.

If he'd stayed, then he ran the risk that if things when wrong he would have his credibility damaged. If he'd have moved up to Todt's role, then even if Ferrari kept on winning the credit wouldn't be as great since the successful operation was already in place.

It's also worth considering that, at Ferrari, Brawn wasn't the only big name, and Ferrari were a top team, so implementing his own policies would be a hell of a lot more difficult that the blank cheque/blank paper deal that Honda were willing and able to give him.

I therefore can well understand why he left Ferrari.

I just wish that Baldisseri was half as quick-witted. He appears to be tentative and conservative, but then I suppose that having the quickest car will always make the strategist err on the side of caution. That said, no amount of 'safe thinking' excuses the kind of strategical feck up he pulled out of the bag at the weekend.

Knock-on
8th July 2008, 14:34
No matter how good and how important to the success of a team, and Ross Brawn is the best there is, not even Ferrari can stop someone from leaving if they don't want to stay.

It was no surprise to me that, post-Schumi, Ross didn't fancy staying at Ferrari. It could have something to do with a 'fractious' environment, but I tend to believe it was more a case that having made himself a Tifosi legend, having won it all and returned glory to Maranello as part of the 'dream team', Brawn was on a hiding to nothing staying on.

If he'd stayed, then he ran the risk that if things when wrong he would have his credibility damaged. If he'd have moved up to Todt's role, then even if Ferrari kept on winning the credit wouldn't be as great since the successful operation was already in place.

It's also worth considering that, at Ferrari, Brawn wasn't the only big name, and Ferrari were a top team, so implementing his own policies would be a hell of a lot more difficult that the blank cheque/blank paper deal that Honda were willing and able to give him.

I therefore can well understand why he left Ferrari.

I just wish that Baldisseri was half as quick-witted. He appears to be tentative and conservative, but then I suppose that having the quickest car will always make the strategist err on the side of caution. That said, no amount of 'safe thinking' excuses the kind of strategical feck up he pulled out of the bag at the weekend.

Can't help but see your side Tamb and it all seems reasonable. Could very well be the case :up:

8th July 2008, 15:09
Can't help but see your side Tamb and it all seems reasonable. Could very well be the case :up:

It's also perhaps worth pointing out that having a dog of a car that can't get out of Q3 means that a strategist can be bold with no fear of failure.

After all, if you qualify 16th and have no hope in normal conditions, then a gamble in wet-weather is worth the chance since not gambling just means that you will finsih about where you were expected to.

As an example, the Toro Rosso strategist in charge of Bourdais's plan didn't exactly make any great calls but nobody really noticed.

That's the problem with being 'out front'....people notice your mistakes.