PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me a game

Drew
6th July 2008, 01:31
Pretty simple, just recommend me a good game I just got myself a new laptop and i'd like something to play whilst i'm bored. ! I just downloaded the demo of WTCC race game and am severly dissapointed! Any ideas people?

Bruce D
6th July 2008, 07:37
Depends what you are looking for in the game - good physics or the ability to have fun? If you're looking for something to blow a few minutes with thats a racing game you can't go wrong with Generally, which is a cool little game. The graphics look ridiculous but the game play is awesome and you can set fuel and tyre wear rates, fuel load weight (which penalises you the more you run etc) and other stuff. Plus the amount of downloads out there is incredible. Its not a simulation as such but its loads of fun. Otherwise you can't go wrong with GTR2 IMO or even Colin McRae DiRT.

SubaruNorway
6th July 2008, 12:02
Try this one, Colin McRae Dirt is one of the lamest rally games ever i think.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Richard-Burns-Rally-12543_133923.htm

Bruce D
6th July 2008, 17:16
Well for pure 100% great rally games then yes RBR kills any CMR game flat but we still have to establish but tickles Drew's fancy here. :D

Marc W
6th July 2008, 18:24
Pretty simple, just recommend me a good game I just got myself a new laptop and i'd like something to play whilst i'm bored. ! I just downloaded the demo of WTCC race game and am severly dissapointed! Any ideas people?

The answer to the following would help;

What Spec is your laptop and what disapointed you about the WTCC game?

As for games Rfactor is excellent. It's pretty basic asit comes but there are free mods out there for all sorts of race series. You can also find tracks from all over the world.

tannat
6th July 2008, 18:36
Having done 4 wheel sims for all of my life I've recently fallen in with Moto GP.

Try at least one two wheel game, Drew. For on track stuff it really is quite a challenge, and enjoyable...

Zico
6th July 2008, 21:16
I agree CMR Dirt has got to be the worst in the CMRseries games.

Go for CMR2, RBR, Toca2 and 3 or away from driving sims/games... if u fancy online fighting in virtual wars flying jet fighters, bombers, heli's or fighting on the ground in tanks or First person shooter mode then Battlefield 2 is pretty good. Try the fighter planes.. the air battles can be superb once you get the neccesary skills.(Joystick required)

Drew
7th July 2008, 01:29
Cheers for the responces! I'm looking for a realistic 4 wheeled game to keep me entertained whilst I'm bored! Maybe a bit of a championship mode, but I don't really need internet playing options :)

I was dissapointed with the Race demo because it was just almost impossible to keep it straight on the track.

Laptop specs, Processor: Intel Core 2 duo CPU T550 1.83GHZ,
RAM: 2038MB Windows Vista, DVD drive etc etc. I have no idea what else you'd need :)

Zico
7th July 2008, 02:48
Try Toca 2 and 3... average graphics compared to the more modern games but still not bad atall, quite realistic handling in 'true sim' mode, best played with a wheel for the very best of laptimes. A guy showing off his drifting skills.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSRRe61lQXM&feature=related

CMR2 is perfectly playable without a wheel.. and good fun with arcadish handling in comparison to....
Richard Burns Rally with the RSRBR mod is the very best and most realistic rally sim you will ever play.. especially with a forcefeeback wheel. Heres a poor quality videod effort of mine.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRj1q5NomCw

:)

Marc W
7th July 2008, 10:16
Cheers for the responces! I'm looking for a realistic 4 wheeled game to keep me entertained whilst I'm bored! Maybe a bit of a championship mode, but I don't really need internet playing options :)

I was dissapointed with the Race demo because it was just almost impossible to keep it straight on the track.

Laptop specs, Processor: Intel Core 2 duo CPU T550 1.83GHZ,
RAM: 2038MB Windows Vista, DVD drive etc etc. I have no idea what else you'd need :)

I guess you must be playing with a keyboard rather than a wheel then. That would also rule out Rfactor as that too needs a wheel to be able to drive properly. Any of the Codemasters Race driver series are okay with a keyboard. I'm not sure whether the latest one, Grid would work with your laptop but you should be able to get the previous version Race driver 3 to run. the handling on these games is not especially realistic but anything that handles properly (eg race, rfactor, LFS ) needs a wheel to be able to drive it.

webarchitect
10th July 2008, 06:14
Need for Speed Carbon should be good

Rallyst3ve
10th July 2008, 09:18
Try Colin McRae Rally 2005 class game :D

tmx
14th July 2008, 04:16
It's gonna be difficult playing richard burns rally on a labtop with it's keyboard as controller.

TBolt
16th August 2008, 18:48
Every good racing simulation is pretty hard to enjoy without a wheel and pedals. lol.

olcay
23rd August 2008, 22:36
RBR rally is far the best in terms of "being a complete simulation" , it also has many addons, number of cars reachin more than a hundred.