PDA

View Full Version : Should I wear ear plugs?

FIA
5th July 2008, 15:43
I am going to my first GP this weekend, shall I wear ear plugs?

What have you done in the past?

raw87
5th July 2008, 15:52
Just take some with you and decide when your there, personally i like to have them in especially at F1!!!

markabilly
5th July 2008, 15:57
Take them and decide for yourself. At USA gp, it depended on where you sat. Unfortunately it was more necessary at times due to idiots with air horns who would run around and blast off. One particular idiot sat in the stands about five rows up from us, did it twice and then suddenly, it went flying over the first safety fence (between the frist and second fence). Small scuffle, quickly settled (Hint when using air horn, do not do it too close to dude much larger, and also to an off duty cop at same time. Big dude got a free pass, and off duty cop with some on duty buds took the two air horners away. When he returned, he returned sans air horners, but he did get applause on return.)

cosmicpanda
5th July 2008, 17:01
if you value the ability to hear, wear them. As a deaf person, that's all I'm saying.

VkmSpouge
5th July 2008, 17:16
I don't like wearing earplugs, always a pain to get in and out. Last year I wore ear defenders with a set of earphones underneath to hear the circuit commentary on my pocket radio. It worked quite well you could still hear the incredible noise of the cars but it wasn't enough to deafen me or drown out the commentary.

Daniel
5th July 2008, 18:03
Take them and decide for yourself. At USA gp, it depended on where you sat. Unfortunately it was more necessary at times due to idiots with air horns who would run around and blast off. One particular idiot sat in the stands about five rows up from us, did it twice and then suddenly, it went flying over the first safety fence (between the frist and second fence). Small scuffle, quickly settled (Hint when using air horn, do not do it too close to dude much larger, and also to an off duty cop at same time. Big dude got a free pass, and off duty cop with some on duty buds took the two air horners away. When he returned, he returned sans air horners, but he did get applause on return.)

If only there were more people like that....

lotuscortina
5th July 2008, 18:31
Mate, i saw F1 cars for the first time at the Ferrari Day at Silverstone last year, and although when the F1 cars were out there was only about six or so at a time, that was still really really loud and it did make me wander how loud it would be with twenty F1's going past. As said before, take them.

GridGirl
5th July 2008, 18:36
I always take them with me and use them if I feel like it.

Today I only had my earphones plugged into my kanagroo tv listening to the commentary. :) You obviously probably won't be able to listen to the commentary if you wear earplugs so then I'd suggest binoculars to read the tv screens unless you hired a tv like we did.

MrJan
5th July 2008, 19:00
I don't usually for motorsport but F1 is pretty schreechy (not been myself). When I went to MotoGP I had some decent, noise cancelling headphones which I used to listen to the commentary, worked quite well really.

Most of the time though I like to hear the cars, it's part of the attraction for me. Like others have said though, it's good to take them incase.

markabilly
5th July 2008, 19:13
motogp is much louder than F1 compared to usa at indy f1 v. seca motogp over the entire track, but when in the grandstands at both, especially the pit straights at both, it is crazy not to have ear phones, plugs or whatever, as the grandstands at both tracks greatly increases the volume and discomfort. Not in the grandstands at Indy and in the infield at some places, the noise was not much of a problem

FIA
5th July 2008, 19:13
Can you buy them at the GP and can you buy a commentary radio?

GridGirl
5th July 2008, 19:32
Unless you've pre-ordered a Kangaroo tv you wont be able to get one now. You can buy both radios and ear plugs at various merchandising stands. Most stands sell earplugs and the Silverstone stand were defiantely selling radios today. If you have a small pocket radio or portable radio just take it with you instead of buying one. Silverstone radio is on something like 87.8fm and it has full commentary throughout the weekend.

Valve Bounce
6th July 2008, 00:37

Get a set of those BOSE earphones that exclude/minimises all external sounds.

Ranger
6th July 2008, 00:51
Take them. They're pretty damn loud.

At Albert Park, they sold them at the track for $1. I Dunno whether they'd sell them at Silverstone though.

Valve Bounce
6th July 2008, 02:10
Take them. They're pretty damn loud.

At Albert Park, they sold them at the track for $1. I Dunno whether they'd sell them at Silverstone though.

I think toilet paper works just as well, and much cheaper. :p :

Hawkmoon
6th July 2008, 02:31
I think toilet paper works just as well, and much cheaper. :p :

True, but there's a certain aesthetic to having two pieces of toilet paper hanging out of your ears that not everybody can pull off! :D

Easy Drifter
6th July 2008, 03:28
I used to have aircraft type muffs. Worked well but only used them some of the time. As a mechanic I wanted to hear the engines clearly. Mistake as I am partially deaf now.
Don't know what current F1 are like but from TV suspect pretty high pitched so could cause damage especially is sound is trapped by stands.
Worst I experienced was the H16 BRM but the V12 Maserati Coopers were a close second when I was with them!

Ari
6th July 2008, 03:45
Just take some with you and decide when your there, personally i like to have them in especially at F1!!!

Is what I do. I usually don't wear them as I have my earphones in with circuit radio on and that lowers the high pitch a little.

A couple years ago I got on the turps on the friday night and definitely needed the plugs for saturday praccie! ;)

Ari
6th July 2008, 03:47
Mate, i saw F1 cars for the first time at the Ferrari Day at Silverstone last year, and although when the F1 cars were out there was only about six or so at a time, that was still really really loud and it did make me wander how loud it would be with twenty F1's going past. As said before, take them.

In 2007 I was at the trackside bar for the start of the AU GP. So only probably 20 metres from the cars. Let me tell you.... the sound was awesome. I don't think I'd do it again, but it was quite incredible!

MrJan
6th July 2008, 10:04
Worst I experienced was the H16 BRM but the V12 Maserati Coopers were a close second when I was with them!

Saw a BRM in action a few years ago. It was missing like a mad thing but still sounded absolutely gorgeous, although I can see how spending any length of time with them could be a problem :D

Tomi
6th July 2008, 12:39

if you go to watch F1 use ear plugs, if nascar or other oval nonsence wear butt plug to secure your privacy.

Daniel
6th July 2008, 12:44
if you go to watch F1 use ear plugs, if nascar or other oval nonsence wear butt plug to secure your privacy.
:rotflmao: