PDA

View Full Version : The WRC engine

Peugeot206WRC
5th July 2008, 00:22
Anyone know much about the engines?
Im daamn interested in how these engines is build. I cant find any helpfull information.
The c4, fabia, 206, xsara, 307 didnt have turbos, did they use same engineblock?
What ECU, injection, turbos and more.. anyone know anything please write :p
Everything is worth to know

I would love pictures and description.

Andy Gregory
5th July 2008, 01:28
You can find all the technical data by doing a simple search on Google.

The only road going version of a modern WRC car to feature a turbo charger is the Subaru Impreza.

The power output of all modern WRC cars is limited to 300 bhp (since 1987). All cars run with a 34mm turbo restrictor, if removed, the power output would be nearer 410+ bhp.

Saabaru
5th July 2008, 03:15
The power output of all modern WRC cars is limited to 300 bhp (since 1987). All cars run with a 34mm turbo restrictor, if removed, the power output would be nearer 410+ bhp.

With a little tuning you could get 700bhp out of the Subaru's setup. Group B kind of power! Kind of makes you wonder how much differend the leader board would be if they threw that thing in the garbage.

N.O.T
5th July 2008, 05:33
With a little tuning you could get 700bhp out of the Subaru's setup. Group B kind of power! Kind of makes you wonder how much differend the leader board would be if they threw that thing in the garbage.

Assuming that other teams would throw theirs in the garbage too...not much different.... :rolleyes:

Koppomsbo
5th July 2008, 07:37
Acctualy Subarus are never used in Rallycross Div 1 beacause it can stand the extreme bhp who is used in those cars... And in Rc a Skoda has dominated the scene for a couple of years now.....

tmx
5th July 2008, 07:51
Yeah Skoda is so much more successful in rally cross, they just didn't had a right team for world rally. Here is a thread about the torque output of these engines: http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126250

MrJan
5th July 2008, 11:01
The power output of all modern WRC cars is limited to 300 bhp (since 1987).

I always thought that the 300 figure was to be taken with a big pinch of salt? Mainly because you'd have Evos kicking out well over 300bhp and having to believe that they were de-tuned for the WRC :mark:

Zico
5th July 2008, 13:23
I always thought that the 300 figure was to be taken with a big pinch of salt? Mainly because you'd have Evos kicking out well over 300bhp and having to believe that they were de-tuned for the WRC :mark:

Yep, most official figures state 300bhp but its well known that they have considerably more..

Interestingly Citroens technical data states 320bhp for the C4.. I reckon you could probably add another 10-20 bhp or so for a more realistic figure. Come to think of it.. is there anything in the WRC regulations that specifically state 300 bhp? Imo the 34mm restrictor has long superseded the old unmanagable capped BHP idea... but is somehow still a myth of the WRC.

Saabaru
5th July 2008, 14:03
Yeah Skoda is so much more successful in rally cross, they just didn't had a right team for world rally.

They blew their best chance at the WRC when their team boss mouthed off to Colin McRae, I think we all know what happened next. Sometimes you just need to leave your ego at home. :p

Saabaru
5th July 2008, 14:12
Assuming that other teams would throw theirs in the garbage too...not much different.... :rolleyes:

I know the cars would but what I was saying is, what about the drivers? Would you're more controlled drivers be able to adapt to a wilder driving style and still be able to stay dominant the leader board?

Torsen
5th July 2008, 15:09
remember... bhp is limited... but torque isn't ;-)

rdr
5th July 2008, 20:07
Some basic info http://www.kosunenracing.com/ega.html

cali
6th July 2008, 09:19
How can You limit bhp? U have restrictor, which ofcourse limits a bit bhp, but nowadays 350-400 bhp is not a problem for these cars. But then again torque is the key word for rallycars...

grugsticles
7th July 2008, 04:02
Here's a thought:

Car manufactures use motor sport for 2 things - Research and Development as well as advertising.

As far as R+D goes, wouldnt a manufacturer benifit greatly from gains in engine effiecientcy through power and torque? With the worldwide fuel fuel situation as it is atm, an engine that produces the maxiumum power and torque for least amount of fuel is going to lead to cheaper production costs (in the end) and theoretically, more sales and profit.

Ok, so what if the WRC regulations somehow require a Dyno run for each competitors car to make sure that a maxiumum HP level isnt exceeded. That would mean that gains in torque are only possible. These gains can then be passed on the the design and manufacture of consumer cars.

Obviosuly there are other aspect to be coinsidered, but perhaps it would assist in closer competition?

Thoughts?

Gard
7th July 2008, 11:06
Here's a thought:

Car manufactures use motor sport for 2 things - Research and Development as well as advertising.

As far as R+D goes, wouldnt a manufacturer benifit greatly from gains in engine effiecientcy through power and torque? With the worldwide fuel fuel situation as it is atm, an engine that produces the maxiumum power and torque for least amount of fuel is going to lead to cheaper production costs (in the end) and theoretically, more sales and profit.

Ok, so what if the WRC regulations somehow require a Dyno run for each competitors car to make sure that a maxiumum HP level isnt exceeded. That would mean that gains in torque are only possible. These gains can then be passed on the the design and manufacture of consumer cars.

Obviosuly there are other aspect to be coinsidered, but perhaps it would assist in closer competition?

Thoughts?

this would meen that the amount of fuel used had to be limited. And there is no way of controlling bhp (other than restrictors). any change in torgue will also affect bhp. programming engine managment will easily get around this. Other branches do this with a controlled size fuel tank and fueling in the race.