wedge
25th June 2008, 12:42
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/motorbikes/7469623.stm

jim mcglinchey
25th June 2008, 13:10
What the hells that about?

maxu05
25th June 2008, 15:41
I think it's disgraceful.As an example, I hate watching Heehaw win, but, would never boo the guy. I think credit where it's due is something that the fans should take on board. If spectators react in this way, it will only hurt the sport in the UK IMO.

T-D
25th June 2008, 16:15
it was more than just booing. apparently, a few fans flipped him off and one held a large banner that read "Stoner is a **"

The Phantom
25th June 2008, 17:02
If the Donington GP is anything like the Australian GP, the problem is probably the morons in the crowd who aren't really into bike racing but who go just because it's a big occasion to go to - and get pissed and act like d$#@heads.

This element of the Philip Island crowd caused a huge police crack-down in Cowes, the main township on PI. To give you an idea of what Cowes used to be like - after the 1998 GP, I and my mates rode into Cowes, where the main street was competely blocked off to all but bikes and pedestrians. The night before (Sat night) we'd been there and saw all sorts of shenanigans - burnouts, wheelies etc - but it seemed a bit quieter on the Sunday afternoon. But I wanted to do a burnout to finish off what I'd started outside my mate's holiday house the night before :D so I rode up to a cop and said 'is a burnout ok mate?'

He replied, 'sure, just use your head mate', so I rolled away about 10 metres, and lit it up for a minute or so :burnout: The cop and his colleagues clearly enjoyed it as much as anyone else.

The following year, that sort of stuff disappeared, and I was there and saw the reason why - carloads of idiots causing trouble, and ruining the whole thing for the bikers.

Sounds like football hooligans have decided that MotoGP is yet another good occasion to get smashed?

MrJan
25th June 2008, 17:45
I've always had the impression that bike racing people are a fairly good crowd so this is shocking to see and annoying that it's my country that's done it. Obviously people wanted JT (and Rossi) to do well but I don't see the point in booing someone who was just better on the day.

Even in football (certainly what I go to watch most weeks) there seems to be reasoning behind the booing, be it because a player left the club to play elsewhere or because of a bad challenge. Booing someone just for being damn good is stupid and pointless.

AndyRAC
25th June 2008, 20:13
I've always had the impression that bike racing people are a fairly good crowd so this is shocking to see and annoying that it's my country that's done it. Obviously people wanted JT (and Rossi) to do well but I don't see the point in booing someone who was just better on the day.

Even in football (certainly what I go to watch most weeks) there seems to be reasoning behind the booing, be it because a player left the club to play elsewhere or because of a bad challenge. Booing someone just for being damn good is stupid and pointless.

I'd agree with this. We certainly don't need that type of 'fan' in Moto GP. Just what is their problem with Stoner? Because he beats Rossi? Just grow up, please. Or are they jealous of his stunning wife. The guy is a fantastic rider, the only one who can get a tune out of the Ducati.

patnicholls
25th June 2008, 20:51
Yep, agreed with the comments above.

Unfortunately, it seems that with increased popularity of bike racing it looks like a small number of the 'moron contingent' were let in on raceday - I heard Casey's comments while I was there but didn't notice it myself (I was out by the Old Hairpin where a lot of the crowd is). There was 'usual' stuff like a cheer going up when Andrea Iannone fell, but that was because it put Scott into the lead - as Iannone walked away he got a large round of genuine applause. On the whole, the crowd were very good - the couple next to us wanted to go for a wander and left us with their massive picnic basket full of fantastic food, saying we were free to help ourselves.

All I can say is: the people who booed Casey and rushed onto the track before the race was over need to take a look at themselves and do better in future.

wedge
25th June 2008, 23:13
His nickname is 'Moaner Stoner'.

Maybe that's got something to do with it?

This year especially. He's been shabby this year compared to last year. The margin between Ducati/Stoner and the rest has closed and he's been making 'excuses'.

fatman
25th June 2008, 23:22
Stoner doesn't complain any more than anyone else in the paddock. I've never seen him 'moan' about anything.

Roby44
26th June 2008, 04:06
Didn't this happen to Casey last year too at Donington??

From what I have heard Valentino said afterwards..

Rossi himself said this afterwards:

Being a fan of somebody is to support him and not to deride the others. Personally, if you are my fan because you hate others I don't want you to be my fan.

Very well said I would say...

Roby44
26th June 2008, 04:12
If the Donington GP is anything like the Australian GP, the problem is probably the morons in the crowd who aren't really into bike racing but who go just because it's a big occasion to go to - and get pissed and act like d$#@heads.

This element of the Philip Island crowd caused a huge police crack-down in Cowes, the main township on PI. To give you an idea of what Cowes used to be like - after the 1998 GP, I and my mates rode into Cowes, where the main street was competely blocked off to all but bikes and pedestrians. The night before (Sat night) we'd been there and saw all sorts of shenanigans - burnouts, wheelies etc - but it seemed a bit quieter on the Sunday afternoon. But I wanted to do a burnout to finish off what I'd started outside my mate's holiday house the night before :D so I rode up to a cop and said 'is a burnout ok mate?'

He replied, 'sure, just use your head mate', so I rolled away about 10 metres, and lit it up for a minute or so :burnout: The cop and his colleagues clearly enjoyed it as much as anyone else.

The following year, that sort of stuff disappeared, and I was there and saw the reason why - carloads of idiots causing trouble, and ruining the whole thing for the bikers.

Sounds like football hooligans have decided that MotoGP is yet another good occasion to get smashed?

They were the days weren't they?? I think they also stopped the burn outs etc because of that chap going through the window at The Isle of Wight.with his bike!! Not a good look!

Last year though I noticed heaps of "want to be seen at MotoGP" fans there and they were the ones drunk, noisy and unruly and fighting. A few I spoke to didn't even watch the race.. They said they were there because Casey was the WC and that was the only reason...Why bother going then???

I can't imagine going to The Island and not watching the race!! :rolleyes:

Hazell B
26th June 2008, 13:36
Didn't this happen to Casey last year too at Donington??

From what I have heard Valentino said afterwards..

Rossi himself said this afterwards:

Being a fan of somebody is to support him and not to deride the others. Personally, if you are my fan because you hate others I don't want you to be my fan.

Very well said I would say...

I got the impression from what I read that it was mainly Rossi fans who booed Stoner, not Toseland ones, so that's a great comment above.

It's a shame that story made the world's press - we look like a bunch of hooligans now :down:

neninja
26th June 2008, 14:30
A contingent of so called fans over here have definitely taken a dislike to Stoner. He was booed last year aswell and he didn't attend the Day Of Champions charity day this year due to the abuse he got there last year.

I think it's a combination of blinkered Rossi fans who hate seeing someone beat him and the fact that Stoner can come across as arrogant. He doesn't lose gracefully (which top racer does) and seems to look for something to blame when things don't go right - usually the bike or tyres - much like Max used to.

maxu05
26th June 2008, 15:18
Arrogant ? Perhaps he is confident, and that may appear to be arrogance, but, remember, that Casey had to play second fiddle to Heehaw when they were competing in 250cc. Why is Casey booed, and Heehaw not ? Heehaw comes across as much more arrogant than Casey.

jonny hurlock
26th June 2008, 17:03
does earned to be boooed, casey earned the win all weekend. so why boo.

neninja
26th June 2008, 17:32
Arrogant ? Perhaps he is confident, and that may appear to be arrogance, but, remember, that Casey had to play second fiddle to Heehaw when they were competing in 250cc. Why is Casey booed, and Heehaw not ? Heehaw comes across as much more arrogant than Casey.

No idea why Casey has been singled out for this treatment. Mob mentality I suppose. A few start it so the idiots all join in.

MrJan
26th June 2008, 18:35
Heehaw comes across as much more arrogant than Casey.

I'd agree with that :D :D :D

Rossi can also have a bit of a whinge, the reason he's on Bridgestones this season.

One reason I'm not Casey's biggest fan is that he's just a bit too dull for my liking, a bit like Pedrosa. I didn't know that there was such a thing as a shy, retiring Aussie. He's only just learnt to walk and he's got himself a wife and settled down, come on it should be all drinking and grid girls and doing stupid motorbike racer stuff.

Roby44
26th June 2008, 22:57
I got the impression from what I read that it was mainly Rossi fans who booed Stoner, not Toseland ones, so that's a great comment above.

It's a shame that story made the world's press - we look like a bunch of hooligans now :down:

Reports I got from friends who were at the track was that you couldn't tell if those doing the booing were in fact Rossi fans or not. There seemed to be an element of "new race fans" at the track this year. Perhaps the same ones we got at Phillip Island last year!! Just there to cause trouble and not there for the racing..

I also heard and they saw, Casey ignore his own fans once again..He does seem to do this often... This was also posted on his own forum by his own "diehard" fans!! They are noticing this more too now..Which is a very sad thing for any rider to do.......

Roby44
26th June 2008, 23:02

I think that Jorge has a bit of "showman" in him as well as the arrogance and this possibly gets him over the line with fans..

Jorge can loose well too, he doesn't become pouty.. Casey seems to throw a hissy fit when things don't go to plan..Which is fine, I would too probably, but he has to remember that those cameras are on ALL the time!! and people everywhere get to see it..Be gracious and then go into the box and kick the cat, dog, helmet, Chief Mechanic....

People will always remember the bad before the good in anything "another" rider does...Think Max, Sete,

fatman
26th June 2008, 23:50
I don't understand where all these 'Hissy Fit' comments come from ?? If anyone has a video clip or even quote from Casey having some sort of hissy fit I would love to see it.

From the interviews I have seen he is usually pretty normal when not getting great results. Like any rider he usually says that 'we've had some set up problems, ect ect'. He never blames the team and when he makes a mistake of his own accord he owns up to it.

In the 4 or 5 years that I have been watching him race I have never seen anything close to a hissy fit.

maxu05
26th June 2008, 23:59
I must agree with Ryan. He always seems very composed during after race interviews, and I have never seen a hissy fit from him. Regarding his fans, perhaps that is something he can work on, but hey, nobody is perfect. Perhaps if he watched a DVD of the late Peter Brock meeting his fans, it would make him understand how to deal with them a little better.

Roby44
27th June 2008, 01:17
I don't understand where all these 'Hissy Fit' comments come from ?? If anyone has a video clip or even quote from Casey having some sort of hissy fit I would love to see it.

From the interviews I have seen he is usually pretty normal when not getting great results. Like any rider he usually says that 'we've had some set up problems, ect ect'. He never blames the team and when he makes a mistake of his own accord he owns up to it.

In the 4 or 5 years that I have been watching him race I have never seen anything close to a hissy fit.

It has happened and no doubt it will happen again.. Watch and listen to the TV carefully as it got pulled quickly last time..

Roby44
27th June 2008, 02:33

Saw it on the TV

maxu05
27th June 2008, 03:07
I think what we see on tv is just frustration. If you are the defending champ, it would be very hard not to feel frustrated when the bike is not working the way it should. I am not a big Stoner fan, but, jeez the boycan ride. I don't care what he says at interviews, anybody that can leave Rossi in his dust has got my respect.

The Phantom
27th June 2008, 13:09
Regarding his fans, perhaps that is something he can work on, but hey, nobody is perfect. Perhaps if he watched a DVD of the late Peter Brock meeting his fans, it would make him understand how to deal with them a little better.

Brock was a wee bit older than Stoner. Remember that he's 21, and in many respects is still a kid - he's been focused on what he achieved last year for his entire life. He would have had little - or zero - social life. His exposure to the world beyond the racing of motorcycles would be very limited compared to 99.9% of the population. Yet people expect him to treat people - complete and utter strangers, many of whom have ulterior motives in wanting to get close to him - with the grace and charm of Nelson Mandela?

Sure, same can be said of Rossi's life, he too was racing and winning when barely out of nappies, but let's face it, Italians treat their motorcycling heroes quite a bit differently to Australians. And Brits, it seems.

Look at how Stoner has described Ducati - a 'family'. Says it all really - he's just a big wide-eyed kid who needs to be surrounded by people he can trust. The attitude and expectations of 'the fans' shows a classic example of SLOPS - Severe Loss Of Perspective Syndrome. The Stoner bashers simply need to get over themselves and their self-centred and self-serving mentality.

tha_jackal
27th June 2008, 14:56
I'd boo Stoner, he's a fair ing whinger..

T-D
27th June 2008, 15:01
it's not the hissy fit in interviews, it's the on-track hiss fits: lashing out at people who follow him, shaking head at anyone who dares come within a couple yards whilst on a quick lap.

fatman
27th June 2008, 15:32
it's not the hissy fit in interviews, it's the on-track hiss fits: lashing out at people who follow him, shaking head at anyone who dares come within a couple yards whilst on a quick lap.

I call bull sh*t. Unless people are watching a completely different series than me. We've seen dozens of riders shake fists, kick out boots, or other actions which can be classified as lashing out so how come everyone isn't having a so called 'hissy-fit' ?

All this Casey bashing sounds like pure sour grapes. You didn't like the kid before he started winning and now that he is your just grumpy about it.

fatman
27th June 2008, 15:33
I'd boo Stoner, he's a fair ing whinger..

Don't you mean he is a fair winner.

NinjaMaster
27th June 2008, 15:33
As opposed to the rest of the field who love to tow other riders around for a couple of hot laps or get baulked on their quick qualifier...

It bemuses me what the public actually want from riders, a plastic facade or who they really are? Not everyone can be a bubbly, charismatic personality like Rossi. In fact most aren't and if they try to be then they get lambasted for being a copy-cat.
Casey tends to generally be fairly quiet but he'll also openly speak his mind. He'll wear his heart on his sleeve and if he's cranky because of a disappointing result, you'll see him cranky. If he's happy from a good result then you'll get a big grin. And he doesn't make excuses. If he had a problem, he'll say that. If the others were just too fast then he'll say that too. And when he has a good result or wins then he heaps praise on his team. What more do people want?

T-D
27th June 2008, 15:43
stoner sems to want more room on the track than almost anyone else.

rossi seems to be the most friendly rider. he gets baulked-- and shakes it off. he is followed--no problem.

stoner displays the worst on-track manners, imo.

NinjaMaster
27th June 2008, 15:50
Rossi has cracked the sads numerous times when riders have continually followed him, most notably John Hopkins.

fatman
27th June 2008, 15:51
stoner displays the worst on-track manners, imo.

You're intitled to your own opinion, but you've simply got to be kidding me. IMO you are way out in left field and completely off the mark.

MrJan
27th June 2008, 16:16
Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Whistleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooo

;)

NinjaMaster
27th June 2008, 16:24
So it was you!!! :eek:

MrJan
27th June 2008, 18:13
Ummmm, nooooooo :erm:

CHEESE IT :burnout:

28th June 2008, 00:06
Criticism of Casey Stoner.............What a load of crud!!!!!!!!!
If you haven't noticed, all of the Australian riders are generally quiet.....some may say cool......don't blow their bags when they win and don't normally can the opposition win or lose.
They're serious about their racing, they and their families lay it all on the line for them to race so far from home as do other non-European racers and "big-deal" if they look a bit downcast or say it as it is when they feel that their perfomance or that of their bike has not been up to their abilities and/or expectations.
They're out there to compete, survive on the world stage, win if at all possible and help their sponsors maintain and/or increase sales.
So critics...... get a grip and go put your head back where the sun don't shine and maybe........just maybe when you pull it out again, you'll have a clearer view of what it's all about and what's important to these riders who provide this exciting entertainment for us all to enjoy.

PS..........I once saw Danny Pedrosa smile!

Roby44
28th June 2008, 03:16
PS..........I once saw Danny Pedrosa smile!

No.. That wasn't a smile.... He had wind!! :)

NinjaMaster
28th June 2008, 07:23
CHEESE IT :burnout:

What's a Cheese it? :confused: Crazy poms! :)

maxu05
28th June 2008, 09:52
Perhaps a 'Cheese It' is a suppository :)

Roby44
29th June 2008, 04:44

Is it like "Jam it"

Swiss cheese suppository!

A cheese sandwich will never be the same!! :eek:

wedge
29th June 2008, 13:18
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/motorbikes/7477421.stm

This is what Steve Parrish had to say:

After the race he was booed by some fans, which I found very disappointing.

It's happened here before, it only happens in the UK and I don't understand where it's coming from.

I didn't realise some people who came to watch bike racing were that stupid - they don't appreciate how good he is.

It's not just about having a fast bike, otherwise anyone could have won on that bike last year - he's a magician on it and they should appreciate that.

He could probably do his own PR a bit better by not complaining so much, but he reminds me of Mick Doohan - he's incredibly hard on himself and the team around him and if things aren't perfect he moans - but maybe he should do it behind closed doors.

I'm still puzzled by this after reading thoughts from the hardcore fans.

Fans usually react from partisanship and/or some disagreeable on track incident.

MrJan
29th June 2008, 17:27

Obviously you don't watch Futurama :D Cheese it = Leg it = run away (you Antipodeans are a bit simple really, thought it made perfect sense :p : )

maxu05
30th June 2008, 00:20
Come on Jan, you don't expect us convicts to understand your fancy talk do you :) We would just say that he pis*ed off.

Roby44
30th June 2008, 01:09
Come on Jan, you don't expect us convicts to understand your fancy talk do you :) We would just say that he pis*ed off.

He blew thru, was off like Grandmas nightie..bailed..Harold Holt..

30th June 2008, 03:43

......cheese tastes nothing like a suppository. :D

Roby44
30th June 2008, 04:07
......cheese tastes nothing like a suppository. :D

And you know this how???? :eek:

maxu05
30th June 2008, 04:42
:laugh:

patnicholls
30th June 2008, 20:33
It's fairly likely that a bit of the old 'media spin' gets to people in the style of F1, with some of these rider interviews.

When re-printed the original tone of the interview is completely lost and people start reading over-the-top things into it. If you look at crash.net's F1 coverage you see it all the time - the past couple of years it's "Lewis...." every day which is simply tiresome, whoever the guy is. Casey wants everything to be perfect, which is natural in a premier-class championship - so does everyone.

The bottom line is that these guys risk their lives for our entertainment, and all deserve our respect for that. Any preferential treatment amongst riders has to always bear that in mind. If an idiot boos someone and then the someone gets hurt or killed, I'm pretty sure that any subsequent booing would stop.

It also seems fairly obvious that different personalities, cultures and nationalities are something that add value to the championships, and should be celebrated :p