PDA

View Full Version : A must read for every F1 fan

ioan
24th June 2008, 12:06
In the past I started numerous threads about the technology involved in F1, and every time only a very limited number of member participated.

However I watch F1 mainly because of the technology involved and thus I would continue bringing up such points.

Here's a link to an article that explains most of the technologies currently used in F1, even the coming KERS technology.
It provides the base of what all of us should know about F1 before engaging in discussions around what should have been done in certain situations.

http://www.f1network.net/boards/report/s85.htm?85,8901199

Have a good read, I'm going to read it all too.

PS: A question for the moderators and the administrator of the forum. We already have subsections dedicated to the History of F1 and the GP2 series, could we have a section dedicated to Technical discussions about F1?! I feel that this might be very useful, especially for those who would rather talk about technology than about Max, Bernie and F1 politics.

ArrowsFA1
24th June 2008, 12:09
ioan, being a fan of F1 technology you probably already know of this site...http://www.f1technical.net/

ioan
24th June 2008, 12:13
Yep I have it bookmarked and read it every week or so. There are some people with very interesting and well informed opinions regarding the technical side of F1.

janneppi
24th June 2008, 12:43
In the past I started numerous threads about the technology involved in F1, and every time only a very limited number of member participated.

To be honest, I can't remember a single "technical thread" started by you. :(

PS: A question for the moderators and the administrator of the forum. We already have subsections dedicated to the History of F1 and the GP2 series, could we have a section dedicated to Technical discussions about F1?! I feel that this might be very useful, especially for those who would rather talk about technology than about Max, Bernie and F1 politics.
As you said, there isn't currenly much interest in technical side of F1 here, or they simply are oveshadowed by threads that are more heated. Sadly so. IMO they are more interesting than the politics , perhaps if you really wan't it, you need to create threads and participate in them instead of the politics threads. That's the only way they don't get trampled by the normal bickering. ;)

ioan
24th June 2008, 13:24
To be honest, I can't remember a single "technical thread" started by you. :(

Not a surprise at all, given that you might be one of those little interested by such things.

As you said, there isn't currenly much interest in technical side of F1 here, or they simply are oveshadowed by threads that are more heated. Sadly so. IMO they are more interesting than the politics , perhaps if you really wan't it, you need to create threads and participate in them instead of the politics threads. That's the only way they don't get trampled by the normal bickering. ;)

The problem is that any thread in the general part of the F1 forum gets sooner or later to be buried in the "my team and my driver is better" bickering.
While only the interested ones ever go and post in the "History and nostalgia" or "GP2" sub-forums. And having one for the technical discussions would keep it clean for those really interested.
Just my 2 cents.

As for your insinuations about what one should do on the forum, I find it a bit too rich, and out of place, again.

SGWilko
24th June 2008, 13:52
In respect of technology in F1, I was very interested in the semi auto boxes as pioneered first by Ferrari (in the 641 in '89 I think, which was an electronic system) and then Williams in '91 which was either pneumatic or hydraulic.

Then came active ride, perfected finally by Williams in '92. Some of the forward facing shots that showed how much work the active system was doing by the large movements in suspension was fascinating.

The introduction of the high nose, from the Tyrrell concept to the Benetton shark nose.

Then the real clever stuff. The brake steer, the TMD, flexi wings and the J-Damper.

If these guys were allowed a free reign on energy recovery, think of the benefit to the future road car.

gravity
24th June 2008, 13:59
A 'clean' board free from politics and just technical conversations...Nice idea Ioan!

I'd like to know about 'closed cockpits' in F1. Has anyone tried this? Is there an official rule regarding this?
Surely a closed cockpit would be safer for the drivers and more aero-efficient?

ioan
24th June 2008, 14:10
Well there are many questions to be discussed about F1's technical side, and it isn't easy to do so when the board is cluttered with threads about people's private lives and other such.

I would like to have a board about the technical side of F1, it would be a place to discuss things in an intelligent way, something we can't seem to manage on the main board.

Roamy
24th June 2008, 15:25
Well ioan - tech used to be interesting. Now just look at these sh!theaps. winglets hanging all over them, noses with hoops, fins, grooved tires. They are so ugly that I would rather bash Mosely in hopes they will fire him. Sadly the Panoz which was just scrubbed after Champ Car went under was a real looking race car as is the A1 cars. F1 has totally lost direction and as far as I am concerned. Countries along with sponsors should enter A1 all the A1 teams should get two cars and drivers and go at it.

The BMW is so ugly it look like they hung Kubica's nose all over it. So basically you bring a large pile of crap and want to talk about technical advancements well IMO it now is like discussing a 57 DeSoto with snow tires in the front.

ioan
24th June 2008, 15:34
I agree that previously F1 cars were much better looking, however I think that technically we still get the most advanced ones today.
Just take a look at the materials they use.
All the computer simulation possibilities that made todays cars as reliable as they are (just look at what we had 10 years ago).

We could also discuss about the older technologies and compare them with what we get today.

Rollo
24th June 2008, 23:53
I'd like to know about 'closed cockpits' in F1. Has anyone tried this? Is there an official rule regarding this?

Article 13 of the F1 technical regulations deals with the nature of the cockpit quite extensively.

I think that both of your suppositions with regards closed cockpits in theory should be both 100% correct.

ioan
25th June 2008, 08:42
A 'clean' board free from politics and just technical conversations...Nice idea Ioan!

After watching LeMans a few weeks ago it was obvious that the closed cockpits have an aerodynamic advantage, however because of the high temperatures the open cockpit is the way to go unless you want to install an air conditioning system that would eat away lots of engine power.

ArrowsFA1
25th June 2008, 09:16
IMHO a closed cockpit car would not be an F1 car. Likewise, enclosing the wheels, which would again have enormous aero advantages, should not be a part of F1, although it was done by Mercedes in the mid-50's.

Miatanut
25th June 2008, 17:49
At another forum I used to post at I asked for a tech forum and there were some others who wanted one and the management met us half way with a tech thread with a sticky. All topics were jumbled up in it but it was always a good read, turned out to be a success, and later led to the addition of a tech forum.

Might be an option here.

trumperZ06
25th June 2008, 18:39
Well ioan - tech used to be interesting. Now just look at these sh!theaps. winglets hanging all over them, noses with hoops, fins, grooved tires. They are so ugly that I would rather bash Mosely in hopes they will fire him. Sadly the Panoz which was just scrubbed after Champ Car went under was a real looking race car as is the A1 cars. F1 has totally lost direction and as far as I am concerned. Countries along with sponsors should enter A1 all the A1 teams should get two cars and drivers and go at it.

The BMW is so ugly it look like they hung Kubica's nose all over it. So basically you bring a large pile of crap and want to talk about technical advancements well IMO it now is like discussing a 57 DeSoto with snow tires in the front.

Hey Hey Hey...

I got my driver's license

;) & a few other things in a 1957 DeSoto !!!

There is plenty of "Technical Information" available at other sites:

Aerodynamics
engine
transmission
power train
tires
suspension
Driver techniques
etc.

Every time we start an interesting discussion about any of these subjects... :dozey:

Mickey T
26th June 2008, 09:51
After watching LeMans a few weeks ago it was obvious that the closed cockpits have an aerodynamic advantage, however because of the high temperatures the open cockpit is the way to go unless you want to install an air conditioning system that would eat away lots of engine power.

a closed cockpit is not so bad with a mid-engined car like the peugeot. it's biggest drawback was not temperature. it was the complications in driver changes that cost them about 8 seconds a stop.

did you see the mechanic on the left side with both feet off the ground helping out at every sto? it was comical.

Big Ben
26th June 2008, 10:28
I'm so great too... I rarely find anyone in here to match my wisdom, objectivity, high moral standards and knowledge of f1 engineering ... scorn on you