PDA

View Full Version : Your Silverstone Ideas

FIA
23rd June 2008, 17:24
There have been talk for years now about modifying the silverstone circuit, if it was up to you what would you do? I have an idea myself which I will put up soon, but how you design it.

P.S any programme or method is welcome.

FIA
23rd June 2008, 17:48
Ok, my idea is Silverstone needs to be a faster track like before, so I have curved the Vale/Club section, completely skipped the Abbey Chicane so we have an Abbey Kink and then Bridge and also Priory is a chicane that heads to the 2 Bridges and in between them there is a slight hairpin called Mansell, which you then head down the National Straight into a faster Brooklands.. The only problems with this being the path for the bridge you go underneath will be messed up, it would be good though to use a bit of the National Straight as it was once used by F1.

With thanks to http://theracingline.net/racingcircuits/racingcircuits/ and Paint.

elinagr
23rd June 2008, 21:01
adiaseroi,..

ShiftingGears
24th June 2008, 08:14
I'd litter the whole circuit with Mickey Mouse chicanes and tight hairpins, because they're fantastic and are so challenging and unique.

gravity
24th June 2008, 10:04
Following on with the chicanes and hairpins, they could at least shape Hangar Straight a bit more like a hanger.

ArrowsFA1
24th June 2008, 11:02
Ok, my idea is Silverstone needs to be a faster track like before, so I have curved the Vale/Club section, completely skipped the Abbey Chicane so we have an Abbey Kink and then Bridge and also Priory is a chicane that heads to the 2 Bridges and in between them there is a slight hairpin called Mansell, which you then head down the National Straight into a faster Brooklands...
Like the idea of seeing Abbey return to its former glory, but could the slight hairpin be called the Mansell Hairpain :p

wedge
24th June 2008, 12:19
Ok, my idea is Silverstone needs to be a faster track like before, so I have curved the Vale/Club section, completely skipped the Abbey Chicane so we have an Abbey Kink.

The reason we now have the Abbey chicane is because sometime during the mid-90s Pedro Lamy was testing his Lotus, had an off at that part of the track and flew into the pedestrian tunnel under the bridge - which is next to the race track. Thankfully no one was hurt.

I'd litter the whole circuit with Mickey Mouse chicanes and tight hairpins, because they're fantastic and are so challenging and unique.

Yes obviously!

Low speed are just as challenging, if not more so because it relies more of driver skill because low speed corners rely on mechanical grip whereas high speed corners is limited more so to aerodynamics.

Alas, drivers like Brundle enjoyed the twistier circuits more so because they were in 'inferior' machinery they could make some of the difference on the slower stuff.

I think Silverstone is a near perfect track. It's got everything you want - challenging high and low speed corners and long straights.

I suppose you could alter Stowe into a hairpin or a complex similar to Turkey's last corner to aid overtaking, even perhaps utilize the runways so they double back to Club.

You do get overtaking at Stowe from other series so again its the age old problem of F1's aero regulations.

Rusty Spanner
24th June 2008, 12:57
Flatten the lot.

New Grandstands to seat 100,000+

New pit complex with fan access - like Las Vegas Motor Speedways Neon Garage. Only better

High speed rail link.

Hardcore car parks.

Move the whole lot closer to London. That way Bernie can't try and pull the same trick he's doing with the French GP.

Add a bit of banking to Club corner.

Bit of gradient would be nice.

Dig a marina in the infield and link it up via with the nearest river. Uber-rich then have somewhere to park their yacht.

Add flood lights for night racing.

Good sound barriers so NIMBYs aren't an issue.

Overall I think the layout of Silverstone is a pretty good compromise between safety and high speeds.

SGWilko
24th June 2008, 14:27
Good sound barriers so NIMBYs aren't an issue.

NIMBY's are not really an issue at Silverstone....

...yet.

But, astonishingly, their master plan includes residential housing.

Go figure :eek:

I did like your TIC suggestions however. Standing on a grassy bank with not much to see getting burnt to a crisp has seen to it I will never go back there.

Then there are the pi55 heads that queue for miles for a pint, then queue for even longer to pi55 it out again. Why not cut out the middle man and just drink your own pi55? :laugh:

hmmm - donuts
24th June 2008, 20:24
The circuit from Copse all the way thru Becketts/Maggots I'd leave well alone, then I'd rip out the rest and replace with (in no particular order) Eau Rouge, the 120R from Suzuka, The 'wall of champions' from Canada, and the Corkscrew from Laguna Seca, and possibly throw Paddock Bend somewhere in the mix , I'd then import the weather from Spa-Franchorchamps - then every race would be a belter and Bernie (henceforth known as Davros) wouldn't have his annual 'Silverstone is rubbish' tirade. (I thought better of replacing the pit garages with a branch of Qwik-Fit - they probably wouldn't have the right size tyres in and would have to phone around!)

hmmm - donuts
24th June 2008, 20:45
But, astonishingly, their master plan includes residential housing.

People will move in, be 'surprised' that racing cars are a bit on the noisy side, complain to the council, and get the number of race meetings and/or driving days reduced.

Same has happened elsewhere. Stories I've heard (some of the detail might be wrong so feel free to correct me) include...

Canterbury (I think) Speedway. Used to run Wednesdays and Saturdays. ONE resident (who'd moved in after racing was established) complained to the council and got one of those days stopped. Then a few years later complained a second time and managed to stop the racing altogether.

Rockingham Motor Speedway - reduced to six race meetings per year after complaints about noise from a 'nearby' village which I believe was about three miles away. One villager complained about the noise from either a Champ or F1 car which had been spotted at Rockingham. In this case Rockingham were able to show that the car was a mock-up that couldn't even turn its own wheels let alone run at full chat - just shows that people will go to extraordinary lengths to stop the sport we love.

Regards

ShiftingGears
25th June 2008, 03:46
Yes obviously!

Low speed are just as challenging, if not more so because it relies more of driver skill because low speed corners rely on mechanical grip whereas high speed corners is limited more so to aerodynamics.

I really do not see how putting in identikit hairpins and chicanes at every circuit is more challenging than having a variety of circuits with different characteristics. Silverstone should always be one of the faster circuits on the calendar, and not just another medium speed Tilke complex that devalues passing manouvers.

For instance, Hamilton's pass on Alonso at the Estoril Corner at Magny-Cours was better than any pass I have seen, or probably will see, at Bahrain. The same way that passing manouvers on road courses are almost always better than ones on ovals.

You do get overtaking at Stowe from other series so again its the age old problem of F1's aero regulations.

Next years regulations will take care of that so butchering circuits won't be necessary for more overtaking.

ArrowsFA1
25th June 2008, 08:05
People will move in, be 'surprised' that racing cars are a bit on the noisy side, complain to the council, and get the number of race meetings and/or driving days reduced.

Same has happened elsewhere. Stories I've heard (some of the detail might be wrong so feel free to correct me) include...
Brands Hatch & Monza have also experienced complaints and restrictions on track activity. Goodwood is also restricted to a limited number of track days AFAIK.

The odds are those circuits have been there longer than those complaining, and that they just may have realised they had a motor racing circuit next door when they moved in, but hey, that's the way the world is today :mad:

wedge
25th June 2008, 11:30
For instance, Hamilton's pass on Alonso at the Estoril Corner at Magny-Cours was better than any pass I have seen, or probably will see, at Bahrain. The same way that passing manouvers on road courses are almost always better than ones on ovals.

I wouldn't call that a great passing move. Alonso made a mistake into that corner went wide which compromised his exit speed which left the door open for Hamilton.

I've seen better and a lot more passes in Bahrain than you would normally find in Magny Cours. How about Heidfeld passing Alonso last year? Heidfeld went wheel to wheel and never gave up.

AndyRAC
25th June 2008, 11:51
The only problem with Silverstone are the facilities. There aren't really any. As for the track, maybe they should go back to the pre-1991 era - almost flat out!!

maxu05
25th June 2008, 11:54
Bulldoze it and build a housing estate :p : Then hold the race at Donington :)