PDA

View Full Version : How to fix NASCAR road racing

Hoss Ghoul
23rd June 2008, 10:06
First of all, I love road racing. I'm the rare bird who could possibly pass a lie detector test regarding what type of racing I prefer more, ovals or circuits.

OK, that said, here's my idea.

NASCAR road racing is an awesome spectacle, that with rare exception gets better ever year, however, there is one problem. Too much strategy(fuel mileage).

The preponderance of full course cautions during NASCAR road races diminishes the empasis on speed, skill, passing, etc....placing too much emphasis on track position/luck.

Solution: smaller fuel cells. 8-10 gallons, say? 3 pit stops for a 3 hr NASCAR road race v.s. at least twice that for any oval...that's the problem.

I've already made this post border-line to long to read, so I won't go into depth explaining the workings. Everyone here is plenty smart enough to figure out the differences.

What do you think?

wedge
23rd June 2008, 12:31
Getting fuel mileage is part of racing.

If they went to smaller cells the teams would still try to stretch their mileage. It won't necessarily create better race, it'll be like plate races where there's more emphasis on getting good pitstops.

I know its a bit dull a times but I admire NASCAR road racers' skill and discipline of their right foot. Most other championships relies on altering something related to the ECU like fuel mixture and throttle maps.

e2mtt
23rd June 2008, 12:38
That isn't a bad idea. 2 pitstop during an entire race is very low, especially when so much of the the race involves around when you pit in relation to when the cautions come out.

Lee Roy
23rd June 2008, 12:54
I understand what you're saying Hoss, but I don't like manipulating the pit stop frequency as a way to change how the race is run. I like the Infeneon and Watkins Glen races the way they are now.

harvick#1
23rd June 2008, 14:49
I just wish Nascar knows how to throw full course cautions,

there should've been no reason why the tires that were on the track to be a full course yellow, when the tires went well past the hairpin and out of the racing groove. second, the JPM spin, why the caution, everyone got around him cleanly.

I never liked Infineon as its one big Demo Derby race, always lots of wheel hop, Watkins Glen produces great racing as its more fast flowing and more suited for the CoT

wedge
23rd June 2008, 15:43
I just wish Nascar knows how to throw full course cautions,

there should've been no reason why the tires that were on the track to be a full course yellow, when the tires went well past the hairpin and out of the racing groove. second, the JPM spin, why the caution, everyone got around him cleanly.

I never liked Infineon as its one big Demo Derby race, always lots of wheel hop, Watkins Glen produces great racing as its more fast flowing and more suited for the CoT

That should read:

"I just wih NASCAR knows how to throw local yellow flags"

Sonoma is a lot harder to pass than the Glen

And you still get wheel hop at the Glen into T1 and the inner loop chicane.

Sparky1329
23rd June 2008, 16:49
I love road course races too, Hoss. I'm just not sure they should be changed. The strategy is an important part of it and it really doesn't bother me. A win is a win regardless of how it was attained.

jeffmr2
23rd June 2008, 23:36
I'd get rid of the road course ringers and those unneccessary full course cautions.Montoya's spin didnt even need a caution,he was back running by the time the caution was waved. I put it down to nascar wanting to stop Kyle Busch winning!!Neverthelessll i thought it was an enjoyable race.
What about the talk of a road course being put in the chase?

Sparky1329
24th June 2008, 04:53
I think a road course race belongs in the Chase.

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
24th June 2008, 11:50
I think a road course race belongs in the Chase.

I agree. I would love to see Laguna Seca added to the schedule. Seeing stock cars go through the corkscrew would be amazing.

RaceFanStan
24th June 2008, 12:29
The best way to fix NASCAR road racing is to drop both of them OFF the schedule !!! http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif

Sparky1329
24th June 2008, 18:46
The best way to fix NASCAR road racing is to drop both of them OFF the schedule !!! http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif

Oh well. You know what they say about opinions. :p :

tstran17_88
24th June 2008, 18:56
Not sure smaller fuel cells would do the trick. I think the crew chiefs would still work the race backwards adding in the extra stops.

I like the idea of throwing a local yellow if the carnage is off the racing surface though. Less of a chance of seeing the early pitters benefiting from a full coarse caution.

harvick#1
24th June 2008, 19:09
yes local yellows are a must. the 24 hours of Le Mans had 1 safety car period, that was it. sure there were plenty of offs but local yellows for no passing zones were issued in the spot. Nascar is just a joke when it comes to running road course events as almost all those cautions do not merit fullcourse yellows to last 4 laps apiece

e2mtt
25th June 2008, 01:16
I like the road course races a lot... Watkins Glen is usually my favorite race of the year.

Use of the local yellow would be an improvement. (as would a quicky caution with no pace car on an oval after a no-contact spin) However, we have to remember that NASCAR is entertainment. Part of the Nascar "show" demands at least 4 or 5 pitstops per race.

AussieV8
26th June 2008, 05:20
Local yellows are all that is needed. Full course cautions should only be used when there is a car in a dangerous position and needs to be removed by tow truck or whatever.

Of course one other way to fix up road racing would be to add Road America and Laguna Seca to bring the total to 4 races per year! ;)

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
26th June 2008, 15:43
Local yellows are all that is needed. Full course cautions should only be used when there is a car in a dangerous position and needs to be removed by tow truck or whatever.

Of course one other way to fix up road racing would be to add Road America and Laguna Seca to bring the total to 4 races per year! ;)

Will never happen unless Bruton Smith buys the tracks.

Aussie12
3rd July 2008, 22:27
Set them loose on the Nurnberg Ring and see who survives. :p :

oldhippie
5th July 2008, 17:43
the best way to fix road racing in nascar would be to start a nascar road racing series
take all road races out of cup racing and let the drivers compete in both series if they wanted

DezinerPaul
6th July 2008, 02:48
the best way to fix road racing in nascar would be to start a nascar road racing series
take all road races out of cup racing and let the drivers compete in both series if they wanted

Not so the diversification, is a great part of the left/right races, even the ringers (as they dot not get their own way) lets face it, their days are numbered. The quality of left/right racers in NASCAR, is second to only F1 and even then it would be at a push.