PDA

View Full Version : should Kimi have been called in?

truefan72
22nd June 2008, 20:13
The same stewards who saw fit to issue a drive through penalty for LH for taking an avoidance appraoch on the chicane to the car in front of him AFTER he passed Vettel, didn't see fit to call in a car with a dangling exhaust pipe for half a race, or even demand that the team fix it at the next pit stop.

I see a double standard here.

If you are going to call the race tight, then call it tight across the board.

...and let's not even get into Trulli's swerve move that could have ended up as bad as his last swerve move on kubica in canade last year.

Eki
22nd June 2008, 20:22
What would a drive-through penalty have helped? He would still have had the dangling pipe after the penalty. Besides the dangling pipe was not his fault, like the mistake was Hamilton's fault. You are comparing apples and oranges.

clavius85
22nd June 2008, 20:24
I think the FIA should have forced the team bring him in and knock it off or do something about it. But anything past that, like a black flag, would seem excessive to me. I saw the shot where the thing finally flew off. That definitely was a hazard. What if it had come off while he was on a straight and hit a following car?

truefan72
22nd June 2008, 20:29
What would a drive-through penalty have helped? He would still have had the dangling pipe after the penalty. Besides the dangling pipe was not his fault, like the mistake was Hamilton's fault. You are comparing apples and oranges.

I said called in, not a drive through penalty. I also said that they could have told them to fix the problem (which is something they have done before) at the next pit stop.

The matter of fault has nothing to do with the situation. If the car is a danger then it needs to be called in. just because the driver didn't cause the problem ( as oppoesd to a malfunction or the pit crew,or another driver) does not mean the car isn't a danger to others.

The issue here is the stewards assessing the situation, just like they did the other, so it is a good comparison about judgment.

F1boat
22nd June 2008, 20:30
No. His 2nd place is proof that he should have continued. The LH comparison is ridiculous.

truefan72
22nd June 2008, 20:41
No. His 2nd place is proof that he should have continued. The LH comparison is ridiculous.

how so?

the comparison is about the stewards judgment calls.

are they not the same race stewards?
or does a different crew handle different situations?

of course you can compare decision making process.

and finishing second doesn't not abdicate the danger the other drivers faced.

If a card still drives around spewing black smoke that impedes other drivers but still ends up 2nd, does that justify the danger the car posed to others?

In this case a dangling exhaust pipe was clearly a danger to the drivers behind, who could have been hit by that broken of projectile at an incredible speed. supposed the piece lay on the track and a car ran over it, or if they had to bring out the safety car because stewards could not retrieve it safely.

So making a speculative call on driver advantage on a fast chicane takes priority to driver safety.

Daika
22nd June 2008, 20:45
When was the last time the stewards ordered a team that de car needs to be fix? Don't think that has happend for the last decade if my memory is correct.

gravity
22nd June 2008, 20:45
Why did the stewards NOT bring KR in? If they had, who would have been complaining? If your car has damaged parts hanging off it, you are a hazard on the track. That's why they have the 'black and orange' flag in motor racing; If those parts fall off and hit another vehicle, it could cause enough damage to end the race for the other team.

Maybe it was a catch 22 for the stewards...
If the piece doesn't fall off, then it wasn't a hazard. If it does, then there won't be anything to repair in pits, and there won't be a reason to call him in.
The fact that the piece did eventually fall off shows that it was a hazard, and the stewards made a bad call.

F1boat
22nd June 2008, 20:49
Truefan, there are rules which Lewis broke and rules which Kimi didn't break. That's all.

Breeze
22nd June 2008, 20:52
Not a question of speed on track, but one of safety for other competitors. Yes, race stewards should have insisted he stop and have it taken care of, for safety's sake.

gravity
22nd June 2008, 20:52
Kimi didn't break rules by continuing with a broken car, it's the stewards standards we're questioning.
Why didn't they call Kimi in to have his car repaired? It was obviously a hazard. When that piece did eventually fly off the car, he was doing 150mph thru the chicane... could have caused a lot of damage to the spectators even!
The stewards had every right to call him in to have the offending piece removed yet they didn't

gravity
22nd June 2008, 20:54
Yes, race stewards should have insisted he stop and have it taken care of, for safety's sake.

I guess safety isn't important enough yet. Maybe they haven't got their increases yet :rolleyes:

F1boat
22nd June 2008, 20:56
Kimi didn't break rules by continuing with a broken car, it's the stewards standards we're questioning.

It was a small pipe. Elements constantly fall from cars. They have no right to call him, if he haven't broke any rules.

truefan72
22nd June 2008, 21:04
It was a small pipe. Elements constantly fall from cars. They have no right to call him, if he haven't broke any rules.

well that piece wasn't small, and unlike carbon fiber parts that simply shatter off, this was an aluminum exhaust pipe the size of a forearm that was definitely a hazard to other drivers around, the track, and spectators alike.

F1boat
22nd June 2008, 21:07
That's up for the stewards to say, not for hamilton fans.

gravity
22nd June 2008, 21:26
That's what they (the LH fans) are questioning. The stewards had every right to call him in. Why didn't they? It was obvious to everyone (even the ITV commentators, and they miss a lot).

truefan72
22nd June 2008, 21:31
ditto

F1boat
22nd June 2008, 21:33
The stewards understand the rules better than us IMO.

truefan72
22nd June 2008, 21:49

hmm new found faith in their wisdom.

I recall a certain uncertainty about their decision making process at least year's germany GP, lol

anyway, on to the next race

F1boat
22nd June 2008, 21:58
hmm new found faith in their wisdom.

I recall a certain uncertainty about their decision making process at least year's germany GP, lol

anyway, on to the next race

The crane, you mean? ;) stupid rule lol

gloomyDAY
22nd June 2008, 22:00
Yes, I thought Kimi should have been hauled into the pits and repair the damage.
However, there was no attempt to even fix the pipe when Kimi pitted.

If this happened to McLaren there would have been a black-flag.

clavius85
22nd June 2008, 22:13
this was an aluminum exhaust pipe the size of a forearm that was definitely a hazard to other drivers around, the track, and spectators alike.

And it's probably safe to say that it was quite hot too. I certainly wouldn't want something like that flying into the crowd.

yodasarmpit
22nd June 2008, 22:30
It's blindingly obvious to anyone with half a brain he should have been called in.
The situation of having a part hanging of the back of the car, that could let go at any second, should require he come into the pit and have it removed then be allowed to continue on with the race.
We all saw the exhaust pipe fly of later in the race, and it was down to luck, and luck alone that someone didn't run into it head first at 180mph.

Roamy
22nd June 2008, 23:04
As much as I like Kimi coming 2nd with the problem. the stewards are clueless. That pipe could have easily killed someone. F1 continues to slide under the direction of Mosely. I was astounded to watch this. Especially due to the fact they could have clipped the wire, refueled him to the finish and the result would have been the same. Where do they get these baffoons?

Hawkmoon
22nd June 2008, 23:20
The stewards didn't call Bourdais in either despite the fact that he had bits of rear wing flapping around that eventually fell off and remained on the circuit, just off the racing line, for a large part of the race. I don't think there's a question of bias here, just that the stewards have been traditionally reluctant to stop cars that are trailing bits.

I don't think they should have forced Ferrari to stop Raikkonen to see to the pipe but I am surprised that they didn't ask the team to remove the part at the next stop. I'm even more surprised that Ferrari didn't remove themselves. It was dangerous and extemely lucky that the part flew off and onto the side of the circuit.

call_me_andrew
23rd June 2008, 00:14
Kimi should have been called in. The fact that he wasn't shows blatant pro-Ferrari bias. At least Fox News occasionally admits to being biased.

The Meatball Flag exists for a reason.

http://www.ncracing.org/images/flags/flag_meatball.jpg

Valve Bounce
23rd June 2008, 00:16

..............with bananas. :D

markabilly
23rd June 2008, 00:20
And how many posts in this thread are really concerned about safety?

Clearly it was ferrari, so they should have been pulled in

If it were Mac, well, so what? Not such a big deal. Reverse the roles and a different segment complains

But it was france and just what particular nationality were...........

Methinks that it was clearly becoming a problem and needed a fix.
Letting it fix itself was not much of an answer.

Rollo
23rd June 2008, 00:23
Why did the stewards NOT bring KR in? If they had, who would have been complaining? If your car has damaged parts hanging off it, you are a hazard on the track. That's why they have the 'black and orange' flag in motor racing; If those parts fall off and hit another vehicle, it could cause enough damage to end the race for the other team.

KE = 1/2mv²

A metal pipe which falls off the car in front has the possibilty of doing more damage than just to the car behind - what of his face? If your closing speed on a bit of falling metal is of the order of 200km/h then serious questions need to be asked.

I bet they'll "understand" the same rules better than us when someone gets speared in the face too.

To the FIA - BOOOO - drivers are not paid to lose their lives. You are in charge of the rules, jolly well enforce them.

markabilly
23rd June 2008, 00:27
..............with bananas. :D
and camel toes??? :D

truefan72
23rd June 2008, 01:04
To the FIA - BOOOO - drivers are not paid to lose their lives. You are in charge of the rules, jolly well enforce them.

yeah,

apparently that king's ransom that M.Mosley took from the drivers as the super license fee ;"because we provide a lot of security and services to the teams and drivers..." hasn't trickled down to the stewards yet. As they obviously are not concerned about the ramifications of a hot exhaust pipe flying off a car at tremendous speed on both the drivers and spectators.

Valve Bounce
23rd June 2008, 01:14
KE = 1/2mv²

A metal pipe which falls off the car in front has the possibilty of doing more damage than just to the car behind - what of his face? If your closing speed on a bit of falling metal is of the order of 200km/h then serious questions need to be asked.

I bet they'll "understand" the same rules better than us when someone gets speared in the face too.

Where do you get a closing speed of 200kph? If the pipe fell off the Ferrari, it would have been traveling at the same speed as the Ferrari until it slowed. This is no more dangerous that if somebody ran over someone else's front wing. Let's not misuse the laws of physics to make an erroneous point.

Hondo
23rd June 2008, 01:19
I think (with no axe to grind) that the FIA should have had the car called in to fix, remove, or secure the loose part. Perhaps if Kimi had been closer or packed in with other drivers, they might have called him in. Maybe they contacted Ferrari about the exhaust and Ferrari assured them it wouldn't fall off. Maybe Ferrari didn't yank it off themselves because to do so might have gotten them disqualified due to weight issues at the end of the race as opposed to a defective part falling off on it's own.

In a tighter race or some place like Monaco, I think it would have been a bigger issue and he would have been called in to remedy the problem.

CNR
23rd June 2008, 01:19
do not forget that most of the race race stewards are volunteers
so they may only be at one gp per year.

some of this could be fixed by having full time jobs for race stewards with mandatory training before the start of each f1 season

Valve Bounce
23rd June 2008, 01:21
I think (with no axe to grind) that the FIA should have had the car called in to fix, remove, or secure the loose part. Perhaps if Kimi had been closer or packed in with other drivers, they might have called him in. Maybe they contacted Ferrari about the exhaust and Ferrari assured them it wouldn't fall off. Maybe Ferrari didn't yank it off themselves because to do so might have gotten them disqualified due to weight issues at the end of the race as opposed to a defective part falling off on it's own.

In a tighter race or some place like Monaco, I think it would have been a bigger issue and he would have been called in to remedy the problem.

And maybe they should call all cars in during a race, just to check that nothing will fall off the cars. :p :

Rollo
23rd June 2008, 01:34
Where do you get a closing speed of 200kph? If the pipe fell off the Ferrari, it would have been traveling at the same speed as the Ferrari until it slowed.
By bouncing on the pavement? By bouncing off the body work of the cars following? Or maybe F1 cars have been slowed down so they don't get to 200km/h anymore?

How stupid of me to think that flying bits of cars don't hurt people? Cars have been pulled into the pits for far less than this in the past.

Tazio
23rd June 2008, 01:50
I'm surprised this happened in France of all places!
I thought that for this exact reason,
right next to the fueling rig came a standard---

Valve Bounce
23rd June 2008, 02:03
By bouncing on the pavement? By bouncing off the body work of the cars following? Or maybe F1 cars have been slowed down so they don't get to 200km/h anymore?

How stupid of me to think that flying bits of cars don't hurt people? Cars have been pulled into the pits for far less than this in the past.

let's look at your physics. First of all, the exhaust pipes on the Ferrari are traveling at the same speed as the Ferrari before it falls off, right?
Now, as it detaches itself from the Ferrari, it is still traveling at roughly the same speed as the Ferrari until it is slowed by contact with the track surface, at which time it begins to slow down; and with additional contact with the track surface it will eventually come to rest, either on the track surface or on the side of the track.

So your scenario that is suddenly stops in mid air to provide a closing velocity of 200 kph with the following car just does not happen, at least not at head height.

So your misquoting the laws of physics to justify your argument is misplaced or mistimed - whichever you choose.

Of course a part falling off a car and hitting a following car would hurt a driver - same as a front wing falling off a car or a wheel or wing mirror, or even bits of aero winglets.
And please do not misquote me - thanks!!

Miatanut
23rd June 2008, 02:05
I'm a Ferrari fan, but I think the car should have been called in, or at minimum, the team required to re-anchor or remove the part at the next pit stop. There was little question it was going to become a projectile when it went.

Valve Bounce
23rd June 2008, 02:06
Cars have been pulled into the pits for far less than this in the past.

Could you provide us with some examples, please, so we can put this into perspective. Thanks.

keysersoze
23rd June 2008, 02:27
Spectacularly irresponsible and dangerous decision not to call Kimi in to remove the exhaust piece.

I was going to add "IMO" but it was so painfully obvious I really don't think it's a matter of opinion.

Rollo
23rd June 2008, 03:14
Could you provide us with some examples, please, so we can put this into perspective. Thanks.

2008 Monaco GP - Rosberg was called in with a damaged front wing.
2007 Japanese GP - Massa tagged Wurz, was given a drive-through and then came in to have a rear diffuser thing replaced
2006 Hungarian GP - when Schumacher's front wing was loose.
2006 British GP - Button was dropping oil; the flag was never served as he spun on his own oil and out of the race.

Can you provide an example where it is absolutely imperative where a dangerous car has been allowed to continue? Or even why Kimi should have been allowed to stay out in light of the fact that the offending bit of car did actually fall off?

Tazio
23rd June 2008, 03:25
Could you provide us with some examples, please, so we can put this into perspective. Thanks.I thought of one Valve! Remember the race back when Bunsen use to run near the front, and he kept reaching up to grab what the announcers thought was his visor? After the race he said he his chinstrap was loose, and he had to relieve the pressure so he could breath! Remember that? I know it's been a while :p : Of course they didn't call him in, so never mind! The strap could have asphyxiated him, or even ripped his freakin' head off!
:rotflmao:

markabilly
23rd June 2008, 03:27
"We had almost half of the race with all the breaking parts so it will be difficult to have the pieces to hand, they are somewhere around the track." from ferrari courtesy of tazio

Valve Bounce
23rd June 2008, 03:28
2008 Monaco GP - Rosberg was called in with a damaged front wing.
2007 Japanese GP - Massa tagged Wurz, was given a drive-through and then came in to have a rear diffuser thing replaced
2006 Hungarian GP - when Schumacher's front wing was loose.
2006 British GP - Button was dropping oil; the flag was never served as he spun on his own oil and out of the race.

Can you provide an example where it is absolutely imperative where a dangerous car has been allowed to continue? Or even why Kimi should have been allowed to stay out in light of the fact that the offending bit of car did actually fall off?

No I can't. In fact, I am all for Kimi being called in if the defective part was hanging loose. I was watching it on the net and with the slightly fuzzy picture and no clear close up of the offending part, I could not make a call. I am sure the Stewards would have had a better view of it, and if they saw it as hanging loose, then they should have called him in. I am aware that loose exhausts have previously happened on SchM's Ferrari and he wasn't called in. I also seem to recall this happening several times to Graham Hill's BRM. I also recall somebody's wing mirror (can't remember who's) dangling and the car was not called into the pits to have it removed.

However, I would refer you to your physics which, if I understand you correctly, once the exhaust left the Ferrari, it would hang stationary in mid air until the following car collected it at 200kph. This is what I do not agree with - the introduction of the laws of physics into an argument to confuse and confound the uninitiated.

Valve Bounce
23rd June 2008, 03:33
Oh yeah!! I also remember Kimi's McLaren running around with that wheel bouncing around dangerously until the bloody thing fell off. This is a difficult judgment call by stewards I suppose, but if I was a steward, I would have called him in, just in the hope that Lewis Hamilton might score a point. :p :

markabilly
23rd June 2008, 03:36
Oh yeah!! I also remember Kimi's McLaren running around with that wheel bouncing around dangerously until the bloody thing fell off. This is a difficult judgment call by stewards I suppose, but if I was a steward, I would have called him in, just in the hope that Lewis Hamilton might score a point. :p :
which is why the stewards did not, being unsafe got nutting to do with nutting when it comes to who gets what

maybe it will be pay back time in silverstone

Valve Bounce
23rd June 2008, 03:40
which is why the stewards did not, being unsafe got nutting to do with nutting when it comes to who gets what

maybe it will be pay back time in silverstone

You think they will call Kimi in just for being the Joker? :p :

Rollo
23rd June 2008, 03:40
If the bit falls off the car, then where does it go? Because we do not live in a totally frictionless environment, then if a part falls off it's going to lose "speed" because it bounces off the road, or due to friction through the air.
The car following is still frequently doing at least 270km/h anyway; I don't think a closing speed of 200km/h is unreasonable at all.

http://www.formula1.com/races/in_detail/france_794/circuit_diagram.html

Valve Bounce
23rd June 2008, 03:44
If the bit falls off the car, then where does it go? Because we do not live in a totally frictionless environment, then if a part falls off it's going to lose "speed" because it bounces off the road, or due to friction through the air.
The car following is still frequently doing at least 270km/h anyway; I don't think a closing speed of 200km/h is unreasonable at all.

http://www.formula1.com/races/in_detail/france_794/circuit_diagram.html

OK!! you win professor!! if the part fell off, it will come to a halt, bounce back up in mid-air to be collected by the following car at 200kph, proving your laws of physics hold.

anthonyvop
23rd June 2008, 03:45
Which race was it last year where LH had parts of his bodywork flapping in the breeze after a tire blew up?

Rollo
23rd June 2008, 04:00
The 2007 Turkish GP? Where Hamilton was shown the meatball and did pit?

markabilly
23rd June 2008, 04:25
You think they will call Kimi in just for being the Joker? :p :
only if he is in front of the bat mobile :vader:

cy bais
23rd June 2008, 05:08
If this was say .... Sato a couple of years ago...the car would've been a black flag or penalty. This series is seriously becoming Ferrari-centric. The Race Stewards are just as bad as the UEFA referees.

ten-tenths
23rd June 2008, 06:37
If this was say .... Sato a couple of years ago...the car would've been a black flag or penalty. This series is seriously becoming Ferrari-centric. The Race Stewards are just as bad as the UEFA referees.

common, has there been any other way? ferrari were always favored over other teams.

Miatanut
23rd June 2008, 06:59
OK!! you win professor!! if the part fell off, it will come to a halt, bounce back up in mid-air to be collected by the following car at 200kph, proving your laws of physics hold.
How long would it take for it to become completely stationary? Wouldn't all the bouncing and sliding be over in five seconds, more or less? Any car about five seconds or more behind will hit it with more than 200 KPH speed difference (if the car were going 200 or more KPH). As it was, it went from moving at, lets say 200 KPH in a horizontal direction to moving a similar speed in a vertical direction because it hit the rear tire or something and got deflected upward. If it landed on the racing line instead of getting punted off to where ever it got punted off to, its motion would have been predominantly vertical down to the track, not 200 KPH horizontal.

Obviously there's literally infinite possibilities, and some of them spell disaster, the dramatic ending of Grand Prix being based on something remarkably similar (the same exact piece, but from a car of 40 years ago). If you hadn't been watching a small, fuzzy internet screen, you might have a different take on it because on the tube, it definitely looked like a potential problem.

Yes, bits fall off cars. What was unusual in this case was there was plenty of advance notice to do something about it before it fell off.

Speaking as a Ferrari fan.

Hawkmoon
23rd June 2008, 07:31

common, has there been any other way? ferrari were always favored over other teams.

That's bull****. The stewards had no problem giving Raikkonen a penalty in Monaco. Or is it only some stewards who favour Ferrari? :rolleyes:

Nine times from ten the stewards are going to leave the damaged car on the track. If the damage is great the team will pit the car anyway and make their own judgement as to whether the car can be repaired, should be retired or can safely continue.

If the stewards stepped in every time a car was damaged the races would become a mess. I don't think the stewards are the ones to whom people's ire should be directed. For me it's Ferrari who made a bad judgement call. They should have removed the pipe at Raikkonen's next stop. If not for safety reasons then at least because the pipe could have fallen off and damaged the Ferrari's rear wing and put the Finn out on the spot.

Ferrari had an opportunity to make the car safe and prevent any further damage but didn't take it. They were lucky that the pipe flew off the car in the middle of a corner and left the circuit without damaging any thing or, more importantly, any one.

ShiftingGears
23rd June 2008, 08:05
If someone had been close behind him when that exhaust came off that would've been a little hairy. I'm surprised that Ferrari did not remove it from the car, which was a little reckless on their part.

MAX_THRUST
23rd June 2008, 08:21
At least when other teams win races they have earned every ounce of self gratification from the win, knowing they did not only beat Ferrari, but the rule makers too......

It does tend to seem to always be if Ferrari do it its ok, if any one else does it then its wrong. Sad isn't it!! My old dad always said something along those lines and I thought he was talking rubbish, for 30 odd years. now I'm starting to see what he meant.

ShiftingGears
23rd June 2008, 08:44
In addition, I think people should stop trying to search for conspiracies to explain steward's decisions, rather than accept that they're just poorly judged.

And anyone who thinks the steward's decisions are catastrophically bad, has definitely not seen NASCAR races.

ioan
23rd June 2008, 08:52
When was the last time the stewards ordered a team that de car needs to be fix? Don't think that has happend for the last decade if my memory is correct.

Schumacher, Oz 2003 ( I think ).

ioan
23rd June 2008, 08:57
well that piece wasn't small, and unlike carbon fiber parts that simply shatter off, this was an aluminum exhaust pipe the size of a forearm that was definitely a hazard to other drivers around, the track, and spectators alike.

I agree with you, and I was puzzled the team didn't tear it of during his pit stop. Domenicalli said something about how much time they would have lost by doing that (go figure, he himself said that only the cable from the Lambda sensor was keeping it from falling off) , but what if he would have been black flagged.
It was another mistake by the team to be added to the already long list of mistakes they made this season.

ioan
23rd June 2008, 08:59
If this happened to McLaren there would have been a black-flag.

You have no proof for such supposition, so please don't go that way.

ioan
23rd June 2008, 09:04
Where do you get a closing speed of 200kph? If the pipe fell off the Ferrari, it would have been traveling at the same speed as the Ferrari until it slowed. This is no more dangerous that if somebody ran over someone else's front wing. Let's not misuse the laws of physics to make an erroneous point.

:up:
Very good call! :)

ioan
23rd June 2008, 09:14

And when people come up with such statements you realize there is no use to discuss the matter with them anymore, as hate the only thing that drives them.

ioan
23rd June 2008, 09:18
At least when other teams win races they have earned every ounce of self gratification from the win, knowing they did not only beat Ferrari, but the rule makers too......

Any chance you might be Lewy in disguise?!

ArrowsFA1
23rd June 2008, 09:21
Anyone remember Monza 1995 and the camera on Jean Alesi's Ferrari flying off and hitting the following Ferrari of Gerhard Berger? As Berger said then:
"The incident was terrifying. I saw the camera flying towards me. If it had hit me on the head it could have had terrible consequences."

F1boat
23rd June 2008, 09:25
And when people come up with such statements you realize there is no use to discuss the matter with them anymore, as hate the only thing that drives them.

Yes, this is very tiresome. Lewis must always be forgiven because he is a racing driver and Ferrari must always be punished because of MS.
It is very dull sometimes.

ArrowsFA1
23rd June 2008, 09:43
Yes, this is very tiresome. Lewis must always be forgiven because he is a racing driver and Ferrari must always be punished because of MS.
It is very dull sometimes.
If this was a one way street I'd agree with you.

TMorel
23rd June 2008, 09:47
I'm back to being confused again as to who the conspiracy nuts think the FIA favour.

Did I miss Ron Dennis screaming about how Kimi should have been brought in?
If he's not even throwing a hissyfit then I'm not surprised the stewards didn't bother.

Valve Bounce
23rd June 2008, 09:58
How long would it take for it to become completely stationary? Wouldn't all the bouncing and sliding be over in five seconds, more or less? Any car about five seconds or more behind will hit it with more than 200 KPH speed difference (if the car were going 200 or more KPH). As it was, it went from moving at, lets say 200 KPH in a horizontal direction to moving a similar speed in a vertical direction because it hit the rear tire or something and got deflected upward. If it landed on the racing line instead of getting punted off to where ever it got punted off to, its motion would have been predominantly vertical down to the track, not 200 KPH horizontal.

Obviously there's literally infinite possibilities, and some of them spell disaster, the dramatic ending of Grand Prix being based on something remarkably similar (the same exact piece, but from a car of 40 years ago). If you hadn't been watching a small, fuzzy internet screen, you might have a different take on it because on the tube, it definitely looked like a potential problem.

Yes, bits fall off cars. What was unusual in this case was there was plenty of advance notice to do something about it before it fell off.

Speaking as a Ferrari fan.

Yeah!! and if a piece from a satellite fell to earth and hit a car, the closing speed could have been well in excess of 1000kph, in which case, it would have gone through the front of the car, out the back at such speed that the following car would also have been destroyed.

And if they hit a ground hog, and the wheel threw that groundhog up into the air and the following car ran into that groundhog.............................

ten-tenths
23rd June 2008, 10:03
That's bull****. The stewards had no problem giving Raikkonen a penalty in Monaco. Or is it only some stewards who favour Ferrari? :rolleyes:

Nine times from ten the stewards are going to leave the damaged car on the track. If the damage is great the team will pit the car anyway and make their own judgement as to whether the car can be repaired, should be retired or can safely continue.

If the stewards stepped in every time a car was damaged the races would become a mess. I don't think the stewards are the ones to whom people's ire should be directed. For me it's Ferrari who made a bad judgement call. They should have removed the pipe at Raikkonen's next stop. If not for safety reasons then at least because the pipe could have fallen off and damaged the Ferrari's rear wing and put the Finn out on the spot.

Ferrari had an opportunity to make the car safe and prevent any further damage but didn't take it. They were lucky that the pipe flew off the car in the middle of a corner and left the circuit without damaging any thing or, more importantly, any one.

just saying hawk, ferarri gets its share of penalties. but they also seem to get away with more than other teams.

Hoss Ghoul
23rd June 2008, 10:14
Absolutely KR should have been called in for repairs. A safety issue, plain and simple.

No reason to bring up Hamilton in this at all(seperate thread questioning F1's integrity...perhaps yes).

You have to be one hell of a Ferrari fan boy to think a dangling header/exhaust pipe isn't reason to pit.

F1 fans joke at NASCAR, but 1 loose lugnut, seen by an official will result in a mandatory repair/fix...but this isn't? Come on...

truefan72
23rd June 2008, 10:19
let's look at your physics. First of all, the exhaust pipes on the Ferrari are traveling at the same speed as the Ferrari before it falls off, right?
Now, as it detaches itself from the Ferrari, it is still traveling at roughly the same speed as the Ferrari until it is slowed by contact with the track surface, at which time it begins to slow down; and with additional contact with the track surface it will eventually come to rest, either on the track surface or on the side of the track.

So your scenario that is suddenly stops in mid air to provide a closing velocity of 200 kph with the following car just does not happen, at least not at head height.

So your misquoting the laws of physics to justify your argument is misplaced or mistimed - whichever you choose.

Of course a part falling off a car and hitting a following car would hurt a driver - same as a front wing falling off a car or a wheel or wing mirror, or even bits of aero winglets.
And please do not misquote me - thanks!!

valve you are wrongon the physics

if the piece falls off the car whilst traveling at 200mph, is then met by the car behind driving at a measurably high speed, then the relative speed at the point of impact is higher and more dangerous than if the piece was simply stationary.

The wind coefficient caused by the speed of the car and its aero package over that area (as air is forced to flow over that particular area) once it is detached and traveling backwards adds to the overall speed of the projectile. Couple that with the oncomings car's speed and you have a recipe for disaster.

Lets' say you want to ignore all of that and I entertain your theory. Based on the rate of deccelaration, a car traveling 2 seconds behind would still impact the piece at a high velocity. right?

ioan
23rd June 2008, 10:38

if the piece falls off the car whilst traveling at 200mph, is then met by the car behind driving at a measurably high speed, then the relative speed at the point of impact is higher and more dangerous than if the piece was simply stationary.

Really!
You should postulate for the Physics Nobel Price because this will surely change most of what people believed to be right for centuries.

However I agree that the team should have removed the lose part.

janneppi
23rd June 2008, 10:39

if the piece falls off the car whilst traveling at 200mph, is then met by the car behind driving at a measurably high speed, then the relative speed at the point of impact is higher and more dangerous if the piece was simply stationary.

Not if both cars were going in the same direction, and to the best of my recollection, in F1, cars tend to go only one way around the track. ;)

The wind coefficient caused by the speed of the car and its aero package over that area (as air is forced to flow over that particular area) once it is detached and traveling backwards adds to the overall speed of the projectile. Couple that with the oncomings car's speed and you have a recipe for disaster.
The tail pipe was not traveling backwards, it simply detached from the car going forwards, altough due to wind resistance it was going backwards if your viewpoint is Kimi's car.

Lets' say you want to ignore all of that and I entertain your theory. Based on the rate of decelaration, a car traveling 2 seconds behind would still impact the piece at a high velocity. right? right

ioan
23rd June 2008, 10:48
Not if both cars were going in the same direction, and to the best of my recollection, in F1, cars tend to go only one way around the track. ;)

The tail pipe was not traveling backwards, it simply detached from the car going forwards, altough due to wind resistance it was going backwards if your viewpoint is Kimi's car.

I think that truefan mixed up a bit the reference coordinates systems on this exercise! ;)

Azumanga Davo
23rd June 2008, 11:24
I'm not surprised Ferrari didn't take the opportunity to take the broken part off. They barely remember to the fetch the new tyres for the cars let alone once-in-a-million things like that. :p :

gravity
23rd June 2008, 11:52
Yet they remembered to bring the fire hydrant out. Was prob a mechanic who was listening to the ITV commentary.

ShiftingGears
23rd June 2008, 11:58
The only reason for Ferrari not cutting it off, that I can think of, is that they didnt like the possibility of the exhaust system igniting the fuel while a mechanics hand was down there, fidgeting with the exhaust pipe.

gravity
23rd June 2008, 12:03
The exhaust was on the other side of the car. The exhaust was hanging out of the chassis on a wire... so it would have cost the team less than 10 seconds to reach over, grab the flapping exhaust (which would have cooled by then) and cut the wire. The whole pitstop would have been going on in the background, and even if there was a delay, I can't see it extending the stop by more than a couple seconds. How far behind was the next car that Ferrari couldn't afford a couple seconds for safety sake?

Valve Bounce
23rd June 2008, 12:03

Lets' say you want to ignore all of that and I entertain your theory. Based on the rate of deccelaration, a car traveling 2 seconds behind would still impact the piece at a high velocity. right?

Look!! do the maths, and view this from a relative velocity perspective.

If the piece fell off a car and did not decelerate, the car behind would not be able to hit it, as the relative velocity between the two is zero. It has to decelerate, and the more it decelerates, the greater is the relative velocity between the part and the car behind. If the part became stationary in space, then the relative velocity is the exact speed of the following car.

Now, more dangerous, of course, is if a car ran over the offending piece and the tyre threw the object back towards the following car. Then the relative velocity between the two would be the speed of the object going back plus the speed of the following car.

God!! I don't know why, at my age, I am still helping guys with Applied Maths. Next, they will consult me on Solid Geometry.

ioan
23rd June 2008, 12:13
The exhaust was on the other side of the car. The exhaust was hanging out of the chassis on a wire... so it would have cost the team less than 10 seconds to reach over, grab the flapping exhaust (which would have cooled by then) and cut the wire. The whole pitstop would have been going on in the background, and even if there was a delay, I can't see it extending the stop by more than a couple seconds. How far behind was the next car that Ferrari couldn't afford a couple seconds for safety sake?

Completely agree, the team took the wrong decision.

Valve Bounce
23rd June 2008, 12:18

Maybe they were certain that the exhaust was securely attached to the car. (I don't know, and am only guessing). The danger to the car was not from the flapping exhaust but the hot exhaust gasses which could have burnt the car.

Also, by not cutting the exhaust, the kept the 'Joker' option alive if the car needed an engine change as a result.

Who knows!! who really knows!!

SGWilko
23rd June 2008, 15:14

Valve, I am truly dissapointed in you. As soon as that part breaks free, it is no longer propelled by the cars engine. So it will, due to friction, air resistace etc, slow down very rapidly.

Did anyone see what the TV camera that fell off Alesi's Ferrari do to Berger's suspension? It absolutely trashed it, ripping the wheel off IIRC. :eek:

SGWilko
23rd June 2008, 15:34
Valve, I am truly dissapointed in you. As soon as that part breaks free, it is no longer propelled by the cars engine. So it will, due to friction, air resistace etc, slow down very rapidly.

Did anyone see what the TV camera that fell off Alesi's Ferrari do to Berger's suspension? It absolutely trashed it, ripping the wheel off IIRC. :eek:

Here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEEBP2EIOsc - 4m19s is where it happens. Not quite as I put it above, but you get the point.

Tazio
23rd June 2008, 15:44
Also, by not cutting the exhaust, the kept the 'Joker' option alive if the car needed an engine change as a result.

Who knows!! who really knows!! I think it's time for kimi to let the Joker out of it's bottle. It would be a fitting tribute to George Carlin! RIP

schmenke
23rd June 2008, 15:54
... this was an aluminum exhaust pipe ...

Titanium alloy actually, if I'm not mistaken. Aluminum would melt.

schmenke
23rd June 2008, 15:57
do not forget that most of the race race stewards are volunteers...

Are they?
Some of the corner workers are volunteers but not the stewards who are charged with enforcing the sporting regulations.

jas123f1
23rd June 2008, 16:47
I wouldn't whine if the stewards had forced Ferrari to fix the problem in their pit stop, but I don’t think they made any mistake to not do that - they made a decision and that's it - do what they did. That’s my opinion of it but compare it with Hamilton’s rookie mistake is only ridiculous .. :)

F1boat
23rd June 2008, 16:51
On the other hand, there werent' many cars close to Kimi. Whatever - no matter what Hammy fans want, Kimi is not punished and won't be unless the rules are broken by his team like in Monte Carlo. And no matter how "racey" and "brave" is Lewis, till he is cutting chicanes he will be punished.
It's that simple.
But it is easy to see the world conspiracy against you. McLaren are doing it with much success till 1998 at least.

Miatanut
23rd June 2008, 17:02
Titanium alloy actually, if I'm not mistaken. Aluminum would melt.

I think F1 cars use inconel through the full length of the exhaust.

Knock-on
23rd June 2008, 17:31
For the life of me, I cannot understand why the FIA didn't give them a Technical black flag. I don't care if it was a Ferrari, a McLaren or a Fiat Panda, you cannot have chunks of metal billowing around.

This is not a Ferrari issue, it is a FIA one and a bloody serious one at that. Can I ask anyone that doesn't think they should have been flagged to remove it the following questions.

What if it flew off and killed a spectator, marshall or Driver. For example, what about if it came off and hit Massa on the helmet killing him.

The idea about safety is to do things before they kill someone. Not after. This goes right beyond what team you support or what driver you hate. It was a terrible decision that only dumb luck prevented a tragedy.

Not when it fell off on it's own accord, not during the Pit stop but as soon as it became an issue he should have been brought in and had it removed. He could change tyres and fuel at the same time but safety really should come first.

elinagr
23rd June 2008, 17:49
Hamilton will not be the champion--> end of story :D

Miatanut
23rd June 2008, 17:56
Yeah!! and if a piece from a satellite fell to earth and hit a car, the closing speed could have been well in excess of 1000kph, in which case, it would have gone through the front of the car, out the back at such speed that the following car would also have been destroyed.

And if they hit a ground hog, and the wheel threw that groundhog up into the air and the following car ran into that groundhog.............................

Now, rank the chances of a satellite falling onto earth and hitting the car, a groundhog hitting a car, and the loose piece of exhaust coming off and hitting a car.

Next, rank the ability of the stewards to prevent a satellite from falling onto earth and hitting a car, a groundhog hitting the car, and the loose piece of exhaust falling off and hitting a car.

Average the two. Highest average ranking wins. Funny, the loose exhaust wins by both measures, and wins the combined in a walk.

trumperZ06
23rd June 2008, 17:57
Once again, another FIAsco !!!

The FIA chooses which rules to enforce & which to ignore... even when safety is the issue.

The flapping exhaust pipe on the Ferrari was clearly a safety issue... as pointed out by the commentators televising the race.

For those of us with big screen HDTV... you could see the exhaust pipe flapping & banging away... long before it fell off the car.

This leads to questioning:

1. Why Kimi's Ferrari wasn't called in for repair... in the first place.

2. Why an inquiry isn't NOW... taking place reviewing the issue.

ioan
23rd June 2008, 18:32
For the life of me, I cannot understand why the FIA didn't give them a Technical black flag. I don't care if it was a Ferrari, a McLaren or a Fiat Panda, you cannot have chunks of metal billowing around.

This is not a Ferrari issue, it is a FIA one and a bloody serious one at that. Can I ask anyone that doesn't think they should have been flagged to remove it the following questions.

What if it flew off and killed a spectator, marshall or Driver. For example, what about if it came off and hit Massa on the helmet killing him.

The idea about safety is to do things before they kill someone. Not after. This goes right beyond what team you support or what driver you hate. It was a terrible decision that only dumb luck prevented a tragedy.

Not when it fell off on it's own accord, not during the Pit stop but as soon as it became an issue he should have been brought in and had it removed. He could change tyres and fuel at the same time but safety really should come first.

I completely agree with you on this matter! (who would have thought this will happen :D ?)

First I thought they will ask the team to call him in and remove the lose part (as it happened with MS in Oz 2003, and he lost the race because of that).
Than I thought maybe it was asked to remove the part during the coming pit stop.
In the end I was puzzled that they didn't bother to take 2 seconds to remove it, as it was only hold by the lambda heat sensor cable.

It was another bad judgement from the team, not the first one this season, that could have cost them those 8 points.

Bagwan
23rd June 2008, 18:44
Once again, another FIAsco !!!

The FIA chooses which rules to enforce & which to ignore... even when safety is the issue.

The flapping exhaust pipe on the Ferrari was clearly a safety issue... as pointed out by the commentators televising the race.

For those of us with big screen HDTV... you could see the exhaust pipe flapping & banging away... long before it fell off the car.

This leads to questioning:

1. Why Kimi's Ferrari wasn't called in for repair... in the first place.

2. Why an inquiry isn't NOW... taking place reviewing the issue.

Damn , Trum...per , you take the award for most periods used per post . You must go through a lot of keyboards as a result . hee hee .

It sure does look pretty goofy of the stewards , to first , not order him in when the saw the thing flapping around , and then , not say they needed to remove it in the scheduled stop a short while later .
One thing that fits with not flagging him in is the fact that Ferrari didn't remove the part in the stop .

That fits with the idea the perhaps Ferrari were assuring Charlie that the part was firmly affixed , and bringing Kimi in was not necessary at all .
Sensors were reportedly the only thing tethering the item to the car , and it might easily have been that simply believed , or , more importantly , convinced Charlie and crew that it would not let go .
I would suspect the specs of the part regarding the actual weight may have entered the discussion as well , and , not being very heavy , it posed little threat . This is a one race item , more a shroud to protect the body work , which as we saw , is very thin and fragile , and prone to heat damage .
It did look coffee can sized , but I would expect closer to pop can mass .

We , in our armchairs , saw it as wierd , because it looked ready to go at any moment , but maybe it ws even more wierd that it did .

Ferrari had to have had good reason to leave it flailing at the stop because it wouldn't have taken long to snip off . It may have only been to stick to the story , but it is quite possible they were as surprised as we were .

trumperZ06
23rd June 2008, 19:24
Damn , Trum...per , you take the award for most periods used per post . You must go through a lot of keyboards as a result . hee hee .

We , in our armchairs , saw it as wierd , because it looked ready to go at any moment , but maybe it ws even more wierd that it did .

Ferrari had to have had good reason to leave it flailing at the stop because it wouldn't have taken long to snip off . It may have only been to stick to the story , but it is quite possible they were as surprised as we were .

;) Hhmmmm, Baggie,

Keyboards last me longer than these damn laptop computers do !!!

:dozey: Just a thought... maybe the sensor was still providing information/or the DAS would be messed up if the wire were cut?

I don't know how their system is intergrated... but there could be a good reason Ferrari didn't want to remove the damaged part.

IMO... it was a safety issue, should have been easily resolved, and the stewards failed in their assigned task.

F1boat
23rd June 2008, 19:28
Hamilton will not be the champion--> end of story :D

;) this will infuriate his fans even more.

ioan
23rd June 2008, 19:41
:dozey: Just a thought... maybe the sensor was still providing information/or the DAS would be messed up if the wire were cut?

I don't know how their system is intergrated... but there could be a good reason Ferrari didn't want to remove the damaged part.

IMO... it was a safety issue, should have been easily resolved, and the stewards failed in their assigned task.

That's what I was thinking about too, however they seemed to do quite well after it finally flew away.

race_director
23rd June 2008, 19:58
I found a very intresting still from one the site. in the pic below we can crealy see that LH was four wheels on the green and Vettel was ahead of him . if he had passed Vettel by taking the short cut ( since the track there goes a bit right then left). then its a clear case of deserved penalty

ioan
23rd June 2008, 20:08
That's not Vettel, it's Coulthard.

gravity
23rd June 2008, 20:09
^^ I think that was meant for the other thread? http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127879

Garry Walker
23rd June 2008, 20:09
I agree with you, and I was puzzled the team didn't tear it of during his pit stop. Domenicalli said something about how much time they would have lost by doing that (go figure, he himself said that only the cable from the Lambda sensor was keeping it from falling off) , but what if he would have been black flagged.
It was another mistake by the team to be added to the already long list of mistakes they made this season.
There is a possibility they didn`t want to risk damaging the car further by tearing it off (ECU for example). I don`t buy their explanation of losing time, there had to be another reason as to why they didn`t tear it off.

Really!
You should postulate for the Physics Nobel Price because this will surely change most of what people believed to be right for centuries.

Ditto, the man is a physics genius.

ioan
23rd June 2008, 20:14
I don`t buy their explanation of losing time, there had to be another reason as to why they didn`t tear it off.

Agreed, however he went on to explain that nothing will be investigated because the lost the parts around the track, so we will never know why they did what they did.

SGWilko
23rd June 2008, 20:59
Agreed, however he went on to explain that nothing will be investigated because the lost the parts around the track, so we will never know why they did what they did.

Maybe the team were concerned that to snip the wire with cutters risked shorting out the ECU in some way.

The point about this whole episode is that no matter whose car that may have affected, it was a blatant safety issue.

That McLaren have not questioned it merely tells me that they dare not risk upsetting the FIA. Can't think why at the moment! ;)