PDA

View Full Version : Le Mans/ Sportscar Games

AndyRAC
20th June 2008, 08:29
Having watched Le Mans over the past weekend, I was wondering which is the best game which has Sportscars in it. Obviously including LMP1/2 and GT1/2 etc?

Mikeall
20th June 2008, 16:30
I have Total Immersion Racing for the PS2 but never really enjoyed it, but there are some official Le Mans games out there.

ChrisS
20th June 2008, 21:14
There is GTR2 the official FIA GT game and you can download many circuits including the Sarthe circuit and the SCC Prototypes 1998-2008 mod that adds about 300 Le Mans prototypes to the game.

Iain
20th June 2008, 21:27
Gran Turismo 4 has the pre-chicane circuit and the circuit with chicanes. Audi R8, Bentley Speed 8, BMW V12 LMR, Nissan R390, Toyota GT-One, Oreca Viper GTS-R, Corvette C5-R and the Group C cars are in it as well.

There was an official Le Mans game for PS1 and PS2, but it was very poor, despite a good variety of cars in the game.

AndyRAC
20th June 2008, 23:32
Gran Turismo 4 has the pre-chicane circuit and the circuit with chicanes. Audi R8, Bentley Speed 8, BMW V12 LMR, Nissan R390, Toyota GT-One, Oreca Viper GTS-R, Corvette C5-R and the Group C cars are in it as well.

There was an official Le Mans game for PS1 and PS2, but it was very poor, despite a good variety of cars in the game.

Yes, I remember the official Le Mans games, very poor - if I remember rightly the laps were over far quicker than they should have been. Traded it in for something more realistic.

Bruce D
21st June 2008, 06:59
Yeah definately the GTR2 version is the best way to go because you get realistic light fading/sunrise and everything. I've been doing some racing there recently. It takes a bit of work to get the GT and NGT cars into the races too but not difficult (just copy and paste with notepad) and then its pretty cool but hectic when you catch traffic in places like the Porsche Curves! :D

MrJan
21st June 2008, 11:13
I quite liked the PSOne LM game. For a start it got properly dark along the Mulsanne (the PS2 game was brighter and a bit lame). Can't remember what the lap times were like but in the PS2 game I never got the hang of it and struggled to get below 3:40 in LMP1 cars. Handling was awful though and the straw that broke the game's back was when it corrupted my saved game where I'd got to 10am.

Iain
21st June 2008, 12:05
I can't remember much about the original apart from it having Bohemian Like You by the Dandy Warhols as the intro music!

wedge
21st June 2008, 14:56
The LM game was good but too arcade-y, similar style to TOCA, driving flat out round most corners.

GT4 is really good. You have to set the car up specifically for LM - similar to Nurburgring but with more top speed in mind ;)

306 Cosworth
23rd June 2008, 11:38
I can't remember much about the original apart from it having Bohemian Like You by the Dandy Warhols as the intro music!

I had that one too, I tried to do the full 24 hours once but I couldn't quite manage it :p :

Jamie Brown
24th June 2008, 18:12
Race Driver Grid has quite a few le mans cars on it

Mixa
24th June 2008, 20:13
Yeah Le Mans is getting more popular in the games.

TRD grid aint bad with it,I just dont still like to the sense of speed. a bit too arcadey like for my liking.

Im waiting the next Gran Turismo and yeah it will take a while but Im sure that Le Mans will be on it and it will be huge. Just hope to get laptimes a bit closer to real ones including night racing and saving on pits :D

What comes to mods there are quite a many LMES mods to go for starting to old timers and old games for newer ones and for new or old cars. Im not going to say how many there are but theres a few good ones.

What comes to PS1 Le Mans,I really liked for the game despite it beeing arcade. It was still awesome to play and yeah you were able to win Le Mans 24 hour race with GT2 Porsche thanks to CPU cars who never managed to pass anyone except when a lapped driver gone off or the one he was overtaking. Ok it could been way better too.

The PS2 version of Le Mans was nice too but partly I dont know why it was a bit lame. I think it was because of the 2000 edition (In PC I have 1999 on it) and it felt so much better with 99 edition cars. 00 was a lame year by my mind and I just wasnt too intrested for it. Career was quite a same but it ends a bit too quickly. Unlocking cars was a good idea throught and the legends were cool BUT in the other hand there just wasnt the feeling. Lap time was close to real one what was really cool!

Bruce D
26th June 2008, 06:37
Race Driver Grid has quite a few le mans cars on it

Its a pity the game sucks badly. Well I've played the demo anyway and thought the touring cars were miles off realistic. Who knows what the F1 game will be like next year!

The best is still GTR2 with one of the Prototype mods mixed with the standard GT and NGT cars.

306 Cosworth
26th June 2008, 10:33
From looking at videos of GRID it looks like the cars just seem to slide on every corner when turning in fast, it looks bloody ridiculous and the Astons sound nothing like the real things, so what's the point? Codies have lost the plot since PS2 came along and it's continued with the PS3!!

MrJan
26th June 2008, 11:29
Although not realistic I did think that the racing was alright in the GRID demo

foxystoat
26th June 2008, 13:13
Le Mans 24hr for the Dreamcast was awesome !

Bruce D
29th June 2008, 07:13
From looking at videos of GRID it looks like the cars just seem to slide on every corner when turning in fast, it looks bloody ridiculous and the Astons sound nothing like the real things, so what's the point? Codies have lost the plot since PS2 came along and it's continued with the PS3!!

Yeah the touring cars hang the tail out on all the cars, but once you learn that they wont spin out under full power every corner is pretty much flat out. It took me half a lap to learn what the car did and then drilled the AI by 20sec in the 3 lap race! The drifting is almost impossible to control the slide (played with the keyboard) but the US muscle cars were decent - I suppose they were trying "massive understeer" and got neutral handling instead! But that US track San Fransico is remarkably similar to one in GT4...

Yeah the AI were interesting on the US track and the drifting guy kills me but the rest suck. And now Codies have admitted that "due to time constraints" they will use the same physics for the F1 game!

In short Grid will not be replacing GTR2 as the best Sportscar sim on the PC soon.