PDA

View Full Version : Top Gear!

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

steveaki13
30th August 2015, 22:50
Good question.

I struggle to work out quite where it goes. I guess it partly depends who is presenting it along with Chris Evans.

Rollo
1st September 2015, 05:49
I struggle to work out quite where it goes. I guess it partly depends who is presenting it along with Chris Evans.

Oh if it was me (which I hope the BBC come to their senses and hire me), then Top Gear would become a show more about the family hacks that people actually drive.

I want to see an Insignia v Mondeo v Mazda 6 v Superb v Passat v Avensis supertest. I'd like to see pieces about say the Chery Arrizo7, Opel Adam, Honda Odyssey and Ferrari 488 GTB all in the same episode. Supercars are all very nice but not most segments every week.

Dear BBC, give me the gig. You'll be pleased that you did.

D-Type
1st September 2015, 10:18
Before Clarkson, Top Gear was all about Blogmobile vs Repmobile comparisons, tests of gadgets like jacks that plug into the cigar socket etc - All the things the powers that be considered the 'average motorist' would be interested in. And it was dead boring.

Clarkson & Co moved it into the 'Entertainment' and possibly the 'Comedy' sectors. But like all comedies it had a limited shelf life. Top Gear was well past the sell-by date as they had run out of gags and were inventing new and more outrageous ones.

So, let's wait and see what Chris Evans does.

steveaki13
1st September 2015, 20:59
One thing you can say about Chris Evans.... He chucks himself into things fully and gets stuff done.

BleAivano
11th February 2016, 10:18
the new team:

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/660/cpsprodpb/17459/production/_88212359_topgear.jpg

Rory Reid, Sabine Schmitz, Matt LeBlanc, Chris Evans, Chris Harris, Eddie Jordan and The Stig

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-35548081

Bezza
11th February 2016, 14:05
the new team:

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/660/cpsprodpb/17459/production/_88212359_topgear.jpg

Rory Reid, Sabine Schmitz, Matt LeBlanc, Chris Evans, Chris Harris, Eddie Jordan and The Stig

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-35548081

How embarrassing! And to think we pay our License Fee for this!

Pretty sure the PC chaps will be pleased though. I think they have covered everything there.

Brown, Jon Brow
11th February 2016, 23:04
How embarrassing! And to think we pay our License Fee for this!

Pretty sure the PC chaps will be pleased though. I think they have covered everything there.

Where's the Muslim disabled lesbian one?

I think it's a bit soon to complain when we've not even seen one episode yet. I think having an increase in the number of presenters will stop people making direct comparisons to old 'new Top Gear' and the Amazon Prime show.

If they only had three presenters people would be trying to figure out which one is supposed to be Clarkson etc.

This made me chuckle
http://ichef-1.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cpsprodpb/5DCC/production/_88221042_b741f799-a08b-45a3-b760-0f529e8a3fab.jpg

Rollo
12th February 2016, 04:00
I hope the BBC come to their senses and hire me
Dear BBC, give me the gig. You'll be pleased that you did.

Can confrim. I am not on the new Top Gear. It's gonna go down in flames faster than a flaming thing on fire, that's got it's wings on fire.

Actually it will probably be more like a magazine type show than a "three blokes mucking about" show.

MrJan
13th February 2016, 14:14
Does anyone really think that Chris Evans got the job because he's ginger? Or that they picked Sabine Schmitz because she's foreign and not because she's been on the show before and loads of people said she should be part of it? Or Chris Harris got hired because he's short? Or Eddie Jordan because he's Irish?

Kind of sad that just employing a woman and a black guy makes people think that the BBC are trying to fill some kind of quota.

steveaki13
14th February 2016, 10:18
Be interesting how it goes. It might please some who want a proper car show, but will it get as high viewing figures for the BBC? I know several people who watched it with no interest in cars. They are unlikely to watch the new version.

I really am interested to see whether its a success.

Rollo
15th February 2016, 13:00
but will it get as high viewing figures for the BBC?

Not worldwide; it probably won't last long enough on freeview either.

BBC Worldwide has changed its stance on releasing programs as first run on free to air. If the show gets released in May 2016 on BBC domestic TV, it will be shown on pay networks first and the free-to-air networks maybe in 12 months beyond that.

I predict that Top Gear Mk3 will last for two seasons because BBC Worldwide will have cut its nose off to spite its face.

henners88
20th February 2016, 17:19
I think after nearly a decade avoiding Top Gear I might start watching it again. Chris Evans is perfect due to his handling of busy radio and TV shows and knowing how to control multiple guests. They may have hired too many presenters but it'll take a series to find its feet. I'm glad they've got EJ, I think he'll be entertaining and we may hear some of the stories he was never allowed to tell on the F1 show.

I'm a long time subscriber to Amazon Prime and I think one program I will avoid is the ex Top Gear trio.

Rollo
8th June 2016, 07:53
Matt LeBlanc: Keep - he's got the same sort of annoyed delivery as either Humphrey Lyttelton or Jack Dee.
Sabine Schmitz: Keep - she plays off the stereotype of the German work ethic well; she's prepared to talk back.
Eddie Jordan: Keep - he should cultivate the image of a confused old man (even though he was/is a keen businessman who once ran an F1 team).
Chris Evans: Let Go - he's a kind of overly excited shouty man who still thinks he's on Radio 2 or The One Show.

inimitablestoo
12th June 2016, 09:34
They just need to fine-tune the studio sections, otherwise it's been problem-free for me so far. Well, that and the fact that Chris couldn't pronounce Porsche properly and Matt couldn't say Jaguar properly, which made last week's group test of one of each (and a Mercedes, which neither of them had trouble with) a little grating at times.

Chris has clearly tried to replicate TFI Friday with his studio presenting style (I noticed Danny Baker's name on the writing credits too) and that needs to go. It's noticeable, watching earlier and later versions of Top Gear v2.0 (2002-15 era), how the audience interaction declined over time.

They did address my one criticism of the opening programme, where they returned from the Viper v Corvette feature and didn't come to a conclusion about which was better; last week's show did reach a proper verdict on the McLaren. What TG v2.0 did well, however, was entertaining features on more ordinary cars, and it remains to be seen how (or if) they can do that (the SUVs are about as close as they've got so far). Hopefully there'll be a Cheap Car Challenge at some point too, but otherwise they've done a good job at keeping enough links to the previous incarnation while giving it a fresh feel. The rallycrossisation of the celebrity lap for instance - that works for me.

MrJan
13th June 2016, 15:20
THought the show last night was really good, loved the Ferrari and Focus pieces and Ken Block stuff is always silly but entertaining. I've seen a lot of criticism, apparently it was too 'car based'. Seems odd to me, a bit like tuning in to watch Strictly and complaining that there's too much dancing.

inimitablestoo
18th June 2016, 10:16
Tomorrow night's edition could be the acid test - it's a Cheap Car Challenge, which was always one of the best parts of TG v2.0. But they've combined it with one of the epic races, which could either be a stroke of genius or... not.

steveaki13
5th July 2016, 06:38
After falling viewing figures in this first season, Chris Evans has stepped down already.

henners88
5th July 2016, 07:28
I don't think Chris Evans was the problem but more the tired format of the show. I expected something different, not a rip off of all Clarksons jokes and the reincarnation of Richard Hammond aka Eddie Jordan.

steveaki13
5th July 2016, 07:59
I agree Henners. I thought they would go in a different direction and maybe return to a more sensible car show. Not that personally I would have watched that. Mind you I didn't watch this version either lol

Sent from my GT-I9301I using Tapatalk

MrJan
5th July 2016, 13:30
I watched it, for the most part it was good but people had already made up their minds. Evans, Sabine and Jordan were all weak links, MLB a bit wooden but shows promise and is a decent driver. Stand out were Reid and Harris, it's almost like choosing motoring journalists for a motoring journalism show was a good idea.

cali
31st August 2016, 16:29
Give more air time to Harris and Reid, I specially love Harris car reviews. Much better than anything seen before in Top Gear.
Well, I was Harris fan before TG, so maybe I'm biased ...

inimitablestoo
1st September 2016, 23:17
UKTV channel Dave have now started repeating the latest series. I saw the first episode again at the weekend - and the funny thing was, their cut-down version, critically without most of the Evans-led studio pieces (including the whole celebrity laps segment), seemed like a much tauter, stronger, more focused programme than when it originally aired...