PDA

View Full Version : 10 years ago...

BDunnell
14th June 2008, 14:53
...we saw what I still think is the best BTCC race of all time. What an unrepeatable line-up of drivers fought that one out — Cleland, Mansell, Reid, Leslie, Warwick and Muller in particular. The laps after the safety car were incredibly exciting, backed up by the one of the best live commentaries I've ever heard, courtesy Charlie Cox and John Watson. In the end, of course, it was fortunate that Mansell didn't win because he'd passed Muller under the safety car, but it didn't matter. It was a classic.

Here's some footage — http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXkWUCBoe4k

Martin-MC
14th June 2008, 17:44
Cant believe that was 10 years ago!!!

Whilst watching that linked to some other stuff, Birmingham SuperPrix, had all but forgot about that race meeting.

Les
14th June 2008, 21:55
god that brings back memories. At the time I was a big Derek Warwick fan and didn't realise he had got 3rd - I just thought he had overtaken Mansel after the chequered flag.

AndySpeed
14th June 2008, 22:51
One of only two times that Warwick stood on the podium! (I just looked that up).

Great video, I can just about remember watching this on TV, was only ten years old at the time so the specifics weren't too good until now.

BDunnell
14th June 2008, 22:54
One of only two times that Warwick stood on the podium! (I just looked that up).

The other, of course, being his remarkable Knockhill win from virtually a lap down.

MrJan
15th June 2008, 01:14
Didn't see the race (not even sure if we had a telly) but do remember seeing the Motoring News about it. Absolutely love that era of the BTCC and watching it just makes me think that it isn't as good these days. Great stuff from Charlie Cox commentating, I think the second lap in as they go through either Redgate or McLeans he just has to take a giant breath because he hasn't had a chance to stop talking.

One down point of the video was the 'related' section for which the top entry was 'Keith Odor fatal crash'. I don't want to even see links to that kind of thing let alone watch it :down:

Les
15th June 2008, 08:51
The other, of course, being his remarkable Knockhill win from virtually a lap down.

I can remember being at home before the days of being on the net and live timing or live tv and just saying to hubby 'I wonder who won today?'.
So we got out the phone book and phoned Knockhill circuit and this very nice lady told me Derek... Nearly fell off my seat.

And I missed both of his podiums

VkmSpouge
15th June 2008, 14:32
Gosh, ten years ago. I was 14 at the time and convinced my Dad that it would be a family day out in lovely weather...well the weather didn't do it's bit but Nigel Mansell and some fantastic racing certainly did. I do remember getting quite car sick on the way to Donington Park, thankfully it was worth it :D

BDunnell
15th June 2008, 15:03
Let's not forget, of course, that it also turned out to be Cleland's last BTCC race win.

stevevxr
15th June 2008, 18:04
There's some great footage on You tube.... Great racing from back in the day... :)

LiamM
16th June 2008, 10:49
Gosh, ten years ago. I was 14 at the time and convinced my Dad that it would be a family day out in lovely weather...well the weather didn't do it's bit but Nigel Mansell and some fantastic racing certainly did. I do remember getting quite car sick on the way to Donington Park, thankfully it was worth it :D

That was exactly what happened to me. Only been to one BTCC race previous to that anyway (Donington the year before) this race got me hooked. I'm waiting for ITV to bring it up while they are talking about the 50 years of the BTCC

stevenlcroucher
17th June 2008, 15:45
The first thing you notice is how much faster they are! Not just in a straight line, but they corner quicker and accelerate out of a bend speedier too; plus they look more like normal cars.

Why were they faster? Surely the modern 2.0 engines are as powerful as the old units.

MrJan
17th June 2008, 15:49
I believe that the rules were altered to make touring cars more accessible on the basis that slower = cheaper. Not sure on that though.

c8nay
18th June 2008, 00:32
I'm waiting for ITV to bring it up while they are talking about the 50 years of the BTCC

Already missed it I'm afraid, they had it on a couple of meetings ago.

Its certainly one of the best races in BTCC history, Wasn't it one of the few races that Sunday Grandstand covered live that year?

LiamM
18th June 2008, 20:10
Already missed it I'm afraid, they had it on a couple of meetings ago.

Its certainly one of the best races in BTCC history, Wasn't it one of the few races that Sunday Grandstand covered live that year?

Ahhh WHAT! Probably one of the ones I went to, Blast!

I dug my old tape out with it on today, and yes it was one of 3? live meetings that year

BDunnell
18th June 2008, 20:13
Yes, it was shown live. The first race over-ran quite substantially because of all the safety car periods! The other live meetings in 1998 were the first Brands and the second Thruxton.

VkmSpouge
18th June 2008, 21:54
I did think at the time that it was a pretty bad coincidence that I had chosen to go to a race that was being aired live on TV, still didn't care once the racing started. I still have the programme from that race, it still has it's dimples from being rained on. The cover's headlines were:

"Nigel's back...
Leslie aims for repeat success here...
but Rydell heads the points"

One thing that bugged me was that each of the works teams gets an entire page, except Ford who get two. The five independents got just two, both of which are very much segregated from the rest by the lap chart section and the Nigel Mansell supplement. Have to say I did love the Norwegian flag livery on Möen's Accord.

VkmSpouge
18th June 2008, 21:56
I did think at the time that it was a pretty bad coincidence that I had chosen to go to a race that was being aired live on TV, still didn't care once the racing started. I still have the programme from that race, it still has it's dimples from being rained on. The cover's headlines were:

"Nigel's back...
Leslie aims for repeat success here...
but Rydell heads the points"

One thing that bugged me was that each of the works teams gets an entire page, except Ford who get two. The five independents got just two, both of which are very much segregated from the rest by the lap chart section and the Nigel Mansell supplement. Have to say I did love the Norwegian flag livery on Möen's Accord.

Micholly
16th July 2008, 12:34
I can remember being at home before the days of being on the net and live timing or live tv and just saying to hubby 'I wonder who won today?'.
So we got out the phone book and phoned Knockhill circuit and this very nice lady told me Derek... Nearly fell off my seat.

And I missed both of his podiums

I was there, and have a bit of chrome from the back of Clelland's vauxhall to prove it!

Later in the day, I went to the toilets behind the pit straight, and found myself standing next to Derek Warwick.

21st July 2008, 10:16
Very good, wholesale (http://www.hohotrade.com/) approved that this viewpoint, china wholesale (http://www.hohotrade.com/) hoped has is better!

Daz
25th July 2008, 21:46
1998 was the year in the BTCC that Audi were forced in to running without Quattro but it didn't stop the new BTCC guy Yvan Muller getting some very good results :D

BDunnell
25th July 2008, 22:01
1998 was the year in the BTCC that Audi were forced in to running without Quattro but it didn't stop the new BTCC guy Yvan Muller getting some very good results :D

When he bothered to turn his wipers on. ;) Still reckon he could have won at Knockhill...

Daz
25th July 2008, 22:23
I still think that Yvan Muller should have won more than one BTCC title. Also 1998 was towards the end of the best years for the BTCC with the prime being 1995-1997 I'd say.