PDA

View Full Version : is Rick Hendrick kicking himself ???

RaceFanStan
12th June 2008, 20:02
Kyle Busch is currently clearly the Cup leader right now ...

In 2007 Rick Hendrick let Kyle Busch go so he could make room for Dale Jr
Of course Kyle Busch landed with Joe Gibbs Racing & is doing VERY well this year
this year Dale Jr has had some good runs & he is leading the Hendrick teams for now ...

2008 (so far)(14 races in)
Kyle Busch - 1st in points ~ 4 wins / 9 top 5s / 10 top 10s (@ JGR)
Dale Jr - 3rd in points (-145 points to 1st) ~ 0 wins / 6 top 5s / 10 top 10s (@ HMS)
(Dale Jr isn't doing bad but the fact remains that he is trailing Kyle Busch & Jeff Burton)

Kyle Busch - 5th in points ~ 1 win / 11 top 5s / 20 top 10s (@ HMS)
Dale Jr - 16th in points ~ 0 wins / 7 top 5s / 12 top 10s (@ DEI)

IMO I think Rick Hendrick should have fired Casey Mears & kept Kyle Busch !!!
(currently Casey Mears is 26th in points & only has 2 top 10s)
(Casey Mears WON'T make the Chase & will be lucky if he stays top 35 in Owner's Points) :eek:
(many fans still wonder "what the heck was Rick thinking firing Busch & keeping Mears ?")

nascar.com seems to think it is win-win but I don't see it that way
read for yourself
http://www.nascar.com/2008/news/opinion/06/11/dcaraviello.kybusch.dearnhardtjr.push/index.html

Lee Roy
12th June 2008, 20:04
IMO I think Rick Hendrick should have fired Casey Mears & kept Kyle Busch !!!

I agree.

MD24
12th June 2008, 21:43
I doubt it, Kyle is very talented but not worth the trouble.

He was one of my favorite driver when he started with HMS.
But he has become a very arrogant young man just like Kurt was a few years ago.

BenRoethig
12th June 2008, 21:51
The situation has a lot to do with it. It fits in a better when it comes to both temperament and driving style with Tony and Hamlin than he does with Gordon and Johnson.

MD24
12th June 2008, 21:54
The situation has a lot to do with it. It fits in a better when it comes to both temperament and driving style with Tony and Hamlin than he does with Gordon and Johnson.

Agree

Galveston dunes
12th June 2008, 22:02

I really thought Kyle was calmer this year than last year. I'm not a Kyle fan however I've seen some of his tantrums last year and thier nothing compared to his arrogance this year. Either way one could not say hes ignorant on driving, a little careless at times but not ignorant.IMO

Alexamateo
13th June 2008, 00:04
I doubt Rick Hendrick is kicking himself. If you look at Nascar.com's driver rating (rates finishes, avg running position, avg speed, fastest laps, laps led, etc.) The #1 and #2 drivers are Kyle Busch and Dale Jr. True, Jr. hasn't won, but the Hendrick cars have just been a tick off this year. (2007 Hendrick cars won 10 of the first 14, this year only JJ's fuel mileage win @ Phoenix)

If you look at it like F1 does, and compare teammates, it is win-win.
(And looking at it that way, I'd be worried if I was Casey Mears)

No, I don't think Rick Hendrick is kicking himself, but I do think Kyle Busch probably can't believe his luck to change to Gibbs just as they enter their dominant phase. Now, they're not as dominant as Hendrick was last year at this time, because Roush is also on an upswing, but life's pretty good for Kyle Busch right now.

Alexamateo
13th June 2008, 00:15
To further add to my comments, if Kyle Busch was still at Hendrick, I don't think he would have 4 wins, He'd probably have a win, but really, he'd be the fourth man in the pecking order at HMS. The Joe Gibbs Toyotas have really come on strong, and they've really matched up to Kyle's style. I think it's a perfect match for him.

harvick#1
13th June 2008, 06:21
of course Rick is kicking himself, right when he made the decision to dump Kyle for Jooyner, I had a feeling Kyle was going to go out of his way to show up HMS.

I like Kyle, but he is way more arrogent this year than last, I think he got excellent lessons from Denny and Tony on how to put a driver or teammate down a notch (jason Leffler at Dover, etc...)

I still like how JB still gets hardly any credit, only driver in the top 15 that gets any exposure yet hes a stones throw from taking back the point lead

call_me_andrew
13th June 2008, 07:38
I doubt it, Kyle is very talented but not worth the trouble.

Just like Barry Bonds.

e2mtt
15th June 2008, 03:36
Not kicking himself. Dale Jr. is a fantastic hire, both in publicity and performance. Furthermore, Hendricks has been off a touch this year. Jeff & Jimmie have had more then their share of bad luck, and Dale has fallen off at the end of the race more times then not. In these same situations I imagine Kyle would be complaining and being difficult. (I think Casey is a problem, and is probably going to have to go if he can't get it together.)

Kyle just had great fortune to be with Gibbs right now. They are getting everything right, and the team they have put together for Kyle is working great.

Rapier Racer
17th June 2008, 12:33
Oh now look here, the 5 has slipped off the map this season, I'm sure someone on these boards said this would happen before the season started...

DezinerPaul
5th July 2008, 03:20
Let me see, Kyle Bush/Dale Jr who is worth more $? ...............No contest!
On his best day, Kyle will NEVER draw sponsors the way Jr does.

oldhippie
5th July 2008, 16:23
i think kyle busch has a racing style closer to dale sr than dale jr does
dale jr inhereited the dale sr fans but he may not keep them all

DezinerPaul
6th July 2008, 06:08
i think kyle busch has a racing style closer to dale sr than dale jr does
dale jr inhereited the dale sr fans but he may not keep them all
'

Not so, Sr would have never pulled a cheap shot, like Brat Bush pulled today on the restart. If were Gordon, I would poke him in the nose and send him on a wild ride the next time we met. Total bush league stuff (pardon the pun)!

Lee Roy
6th July 2008, 13:48
'

Not so, Sr would have never pulled a cheap shot, like Brat Bush pulled today on the restart. If were Gordon, I would poke him in the nose and send him on a wild ride the next time we met. Total bush league stuff (pardon the pun)!

And what did Bush do to Jeff Gordon? I thought it was Carl Edwards and Gordon that got together on the last restart.

harvick#1
6th July 2008, 14:00
Gordon said it best, he was laying back with everyone else, so Kyle slowed the restart, smart move by Mr. Busch

DezinerPaul
6th July 2008, 16:38
And what did Bush do to Jeff Gordon? I thought it was Carl Edwards and Gordon that got together on the last restart.

The restart was way to slow, he backed up the field. Gordon saidhe was holding back, wait till he watches the video, they were all over Bushes rear end

BobbyC
6th July 2008, 18:11
The other issue too is Toyota and how few expected Toyota snatching one team meant so much to their dominance.

harvick#1
6th July 2008, 19:44
The restart was way to slow, he backed up the field. Gordon saidhe was holding back, wait till he watches the video, they were all over Bushes rear end

because everyone was laying back, Busch wanted to keep the field bunched

Racebob
7th July 2008, 01:03
Kyle did nothing wrong. It is as if Jeff Gordon never, ever brought the field down to a restart too slow ? What exactly is the speed supposed to be ? Kyle is doing a marvelous job out there. He is driving smart and maturing rapidly. This kid is going to be a force to be reckoned with for quite some time. And yes, Rick Hendrick should be kicking himself. Joe Gibbs has a winner here.

DezinerPaul
7th July 2008, 03:17
Kyle did nothing wrong. It is as if Jeff Gordon never, ever brought the field down to a restart too slow ? What exactly is the speed supposed to be ? Kyle is doing a marvelous job out there. He is driving smart and maturing rapidly. This kid is going to be a force to be reckoned with for quite some time. And yes, Rick Hendrick should be kicking himself. Joe Gibbs has a winner here.

The guy has an ego that will cause him to self destruct. He is the least likeable driver , when things go wrong (and they will) he will cry and whine like a baby!

harvick#1
7th July 2008, 03:45
I think you need to take this less serious, your blodd pressure is gonna skyrocket if you worry about something that doesn't even effect your life

Racebob
7th July 2008, 22:56
The guy has an ego that will cause him to self destruct. He is the least likeable driver , when things go wrong (and they will) he will cry and whine like a baby!

Well I think that if you start paying real close attention that you will see a new Kyle emerging. One that is a bit less cocky. You think that DW or Dale Earnhardt Sr. were well liked when they broke into the sport ? Egos ? Yep. Did they get booed ? Yep. Kyle is doing just fine at Gibbs. I think that the real difference is not just Toyota's $$$, but the fact that Kyle and his crew chief communicate very well and the team gives him what he needs out there on the track. He has single handedly reignited my enthusiasm for the sport and I have been watching this stuff for a very long time.