PDA

View Full Version : Official Greek Thread

elinagr
10th June 2008, 18:52
Hello, is time to have our thread and talk about ourselves, about f1 in Greece and a future race...maybe..

My name is Elina, i am from Athens and now i study in Cyprus, i am 22 years old :D

MrJan
10th June 2008, 20:53
Lame, I thought this was a thread especially for my football team whose nickname is the Grecians :D

Is there much motorsport in Greece? I know that the Acropolis is one of the most famous rallying events but besides that little springs to mind :D

Viktory
10th June 2008, 22:25
(Very O.T.)

2-0

That's all I wanted to say :)

A bit more on topic, are there any greek talents maybe having a shot at getting into F1? Don't know many drivers from Greece.

MrJan
10th June 2008, 22:55
(Very O.T.)

2-0

That's all I wanted to say :)

A bit more on topic, are there any greek talents maybe having a shot at getting into F1? Don't know many drivers from Greece.

I take it that's aimed at the European Championships this evening rather than you being a gloating Salisbury City fan laughing at my expense :D

I'm sure that there have been Greek drivers about but really can't think of any.

Valve Bounce
11th June 2008, 02:01
I don't know about Greece, especially the terrain nor whether it would be suitable for a GP, but certainly Cyprus would be great. I am sure there is ample land around to construct a GP circuit, and the track doesn't have to be flat either.

Of course one would have to get the agreement of the landholders to build such a circuit. I remember the days when one of the land owners did not agree to the Nicosia Limassol Highway, and he threatened to lie in the path of the bulldozers. He also had a shotgun. :eek:

Cypriots are well known for their love of motorsport and there's been the Cyprus Rally from way, way back.

Mickey T
11th June 2008, 09:57
Greece voted for Max, so they're probably on the books for one of Germany's GPs by now

Valve Bounce
11th June 2008, 12:30
Besides, if Turkey has a GP, I think Greece or at least Cyprus should also get one.

Sorry Mickey, but where the races are held is decided by greedy Bernie. But in Cyprus, the UN is always happy to chip in.

elinagr
11th June 2008, 16:32
Turkey manage to build the circuit in zero time..i smell political inverstments..
F1 -->europe-->turkey connections...

Greeks are sleeping...

Valve Bounce
11th June 2008, 22:17
Turkey manage to build the circuit in zero time..i smell political inverstments..
F1 -->europe-->turkey connections...

Greeks are sleeping...

That's the tragedy. :(

Dave B
12th June 2008, 09:23
Greece surprised many cynics when it managed to complete its Olympic facilities (just) in time for the 2004 games - the country had a somewhat undeserved reputation for being a little behind the times on such matters. The Olympics went a long way to proving their ability to host international sporting events, so if they could channel the same enthusaiam into building an F1 facility the results could be very interesting.

I've holidayed in Greece three times, I'd certainly consider a 4th trip if it included a GP :cool:

SGWilko
12th June 2008, 10:12
Greece surprised many cynics when it managed to complete its Olympic facilities (just) in time for the 2004 games - the country had a somewhat undeserved reputation for being a little behind the times on such matters. The Olympics went a long way to proving their ability to host international sporting events, so if they could channel the same enthusaiam into building an F1 facility the results could be very interesting.

I've holidayed in Greece three times, I'd certainly consider a 4th trip if it included a GP :cool:

Aren't Greece's olympic facilities lying unused now?

elinagr
12th June 2008, 11:20
the houses they build,and the Olympic village, are given to poor families

leopard
12th June 2008, 11:35
Hello, is time to have our thread and talk about ourselves, about f1 in Greece and a future race...maybe..

My name is Elina, i am from Athens and now i study in Cyprus, i am 22 years old :D

Hello nice meet you, fyi my study finished when I was 21 :)

elinagr
12th June 2008, 12:37
master degree?

Valve Bounce
12th June 2008, 12:38
the houses they build,and the Olympic village, are given to poor families

Cypriots or Greeks?

ChrisS
12th June 2008, 13:08
I don't know about Greece, especially the terrain nor whether it would be suitable for a GP, but certainly Cyprus would be great. I am sure there is ample land around to construct a GP circuit, and the track doesn't have to be flat either.

Of course one would have to get the agreement of the landholders to build such a circuit. I remember the days when one of the land owners did not agree to the Nicosia Limassol Highway, and he threatened to lie in the path of the bulldozers. He also had a shotgun. :eek:

Cypriots are well known for their love of motorsport and there's been the Cyprus Rally from way, way back.

Talks of building a permanent racing facility in Cyprus pop up every so often, when a serious illegal street racing accident happens but as soon as the initial reaction dies down everything is forgotten.

The government did appear to make a serious attempt in 2004, when they said they were making enquires to built an F1 test track in Cyprus. Things went as far as designing a track. A 5.8km circuit with a cross over section like Suzuka. With estimated costs for construction at CyŁ85 million (about 145 mil Euro) but a formal bit to the FIA was never made.

Valve Bounce
12th June 2008, 13:22
Talks of building a permanent racing facility in Cyprus pop up every so often, when a serious illegal street racing accident happens but as soon as the initial reaction dies down everything is forgotten.

The government did appear to make a serious attempt in 2004, when they said they were making enquires to built an F1 test track in Cyprus. Things went as far as designing a track. A 5.8km circuit with a cross over section like Suzuka. With estimated costs for construction at CyŁ85 million (about 145 mil Euro) but a formal bit to the FIA was never made.

Quite seriously, I think they need the UN to fund it, or maybe a World Bank Loan!!

elinagr
12th June 2008, 14:01
they need someone crazy to give the money

veeten
12th June 2008, 14:18
Where's Ody? :confused:

He should stop by and say 'Hello'. :)

Valve Bounce
13th June 2008, 00:25
they need someone crazy to give the money

I nominate Bernie :D