PDA

View Full Version : Drivers' World Champion in 2008

jens
9th June 2008, 11:04
Soo... with 7 races into the season we have a very interesting situation in the WDC:

Kubica - 42
Hamilton - 38
Massa - 38
Räikkönen - 35
Are others out or can Heidfeld (28) steadily keep himself behind this group too?

Before the season I think rarely anyone would have believed that Kubica could be leading the WDC at some point of the season, but he is doing so. What are his chances? He has been the most consistent driver so far, but is BMW's pace good enough to keep him as a serious contender until the end of the season? Can he be a "1999 Frentzen" of the 2008 season by consistently collecting points in the third best car and steadily keeping himself in the title hunt?

Hamilton's pace has recently been excellent, but this costly mistake at Montreal has reduced his chances. Monaco and Montreal were expected to be strong circuits for McLaren, how can the team perform on the aero circuits in the next races? Will he stay in title contention? And what are his chances there?

Finally the Ferrari guys. Arguably with the best car on the grid, both drivers have had quite an inconsistent season filled with mistakes on their own making and also unluck. Are the setbacks temporary and will they regain their power at the top? Which one of the Ferrari drivers has a better chance of winning the '08 crown? Before and at the start of the season there was little doubt that Kimi would be the more serious WDC contender of the two, but recent showings have created some balance.

Discuss. And someone may add a poll. :p :

555-04Q2
9th June 2008, 11:54
The BMW doesnt have the overall pace to live with the Ferrari's and Mac's at the moment. The fight will be between Massa, Kimi and Lewis unless a miracle happens.

Nice to see someone else at the top though :up:

pettersolberg29
9th June 2008, 12:02
I think BMW have shown they are good enough to compete with the others as they lead the drivers championship and are just behind in the manufacturers championship after 7 races. That's not fluke - its skill.

They are the most consistent points scorers - Heidfeld and Kubica just dont crash anymore (although Alonso like sto crash into Nick now and then!)

ArrowsFA1
9th June 2008, 12:05
Can he be a "1999 Frentzen" of the 2008 season by consistently collecting points in the third best car and steadily keeping himself in the title hunt?
As the season goes on that's looking increasingly possible. DNF's are costly and Kubica has fewer than any of the top 4 drivers. If he can maintain that level of consistency, and Ferrari & McLaren continue to spread the wins among their drivers, then there's no reason he can't be in contention until the end of the season.

Garry Walker
9th June 2008, 12:45
ABH - Anyone But Hamilton.

Ranger
9th June 2008, 12:47
As the season goes on that's looking increasingly possible. DNF's are costly and Kubica has fewer than any of the top 4 drivers. If he can maintain that level of consistency, and Ferrari & McLaren continue to spread the wins among their drivers, then there's no reason he can't be in contention until the end of the season.

Yep. If Ferrari and McLaren think that Kubica is simply going to drop off at the business end, they've got another thing coming!

In fairly recent history, Rosberg won in 1982 with only one victory and Raikkonen nearly did so in 2003 with one win also.

Consistency pays off with a bit of luck!

keysersoze
9th June 2008, 12:51
If Kubica can continue to finish and have podium finishes he is a real threat for the championship given Kimi's and Lewis's penchant for having bad races. But I think the Pole will need at least a couple more wins.

Storm
9th June 2008, 13:12
If Kovalainen can get his act together (and a bit of luck) and win a race things can get really interesting...like someone said then the points/wins get spread out among Massa, Kimi & Lewis (who are bound to win more races) and then Kubica can be in with a shout through his consistent pace and podium finishes.

ShiftingGears
9th June 2008, 13:32

Woah - no need to be racist there Garry :p :

Shalafi
9th June 2008, 13:56
Kimi or Massa. They showed great speed in tracks that suit worse for Ferrari (Monaco and Montreal), so in my book that means a lot of 1-2 for Ferrari in coming races.

F1boat
9th June 2008, 14:52

I am same as Garry, but I support Barack Obama, you can't say that I am racist ;)
Seriously, I would like to see Kimi or Massa as champion, Kubica will stun me. I will be very happy if he wins, even if I am a Ferrari fan.

aryan
9th June 2008, 21:41
As much as I'd like to see it happen, I honestly don't see Kubica leading the WDC anytime after France.

The championship is up for Ferrari to take, unless they keep doing their strategic blunders.

stevie_gerrard
10th June 2008, 01:14
Dont think BMW have enough in the bag to secure a world Title but Canada is definately the first steps to greater glory. My money is on a Ferrari to win it.

Mad_Hatter
10th June 2008, 06:19
Kimi probably, but hopefully Hams.

Just because he's almost as arrogant as some of the people on these forums.

osg
10th June 2008, 06:24
Kimi according to my heart........ and my head says Kubica now, mainly due to the fact that Heidfeld will not get in his way of points..... unlike Massa at Ferrari and Kovalainen at McLaren.... Add to that the fact that Kimi and Lewis tend to have the poor results from time to time.

aryan
10th June 2008, 08:05
Well, let's see what the betting sites think.

WDC according to bookies:

Kimi Raikkonen 2.25
Lewis Hamilton 3.25
Felipe Massa 4.50
Robert Kubica 8.00
Nick Heidfeld 126.00
Heikki Kovalainen 151.00
Fernando Alonso 201.00

Kimi is the favourite, with Lewis and Massa the only real contenders. Interesting difference between Nick and Robert though.

WCC according to bookies,
http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:mlAlert%2836%29;Ferrari 1.28
McLaren 6.00
BMW Sauber 6.50

Which means that everyone really thinks Ferrari will win it. Interesting how little difference there is between McLaren and BMW, considering that the Merc is arguably much faster.

For the record, I have found bookies to be much more reliable and accurante than polls ane even exit polls when it comes to politis and elections.

Knock-on
10th June 2008, 08:38

ABF - :p : :D

ArrowsFA1
10th June 2008, 08:41
Well, let's see what the betting sites think.
They're just guessing as much as anyone.

Garry Walker
10th June 2008, 08:51

:D

52Paddy
10th June 2008, 09:05
The way I see it is if Kubica can keep his run of consistent results for the upcoming races, he will always be 'there or thereabouts' in relation to the WDC. I can't see him winning a bunch of races unless we have a repeat of the events in Canada. Raikkonen, Massa and Hamilton would be the obvious favourites for the title but, if Kubica keeps form, then he'll be the one there to pick up the pieces should the other boys fall into trouble.

As for BMW, well Heidfeld has also been fairly consistent through the year but I would still be surprised to see them top the table at the end of the year. The car hasn't got the outright speed to match McLaren or Ferrari and neither have the drivers got the ability to put up a 'push comes to shove' fight with their rivals. Consistency is all they can bank on, it seems. But, who knows, as the year progresses that may be the key factor!

Dave B
10th June 2008, 09:13
1) Lewis
2) Kimi
3) Massa
4) Kubica

Shalafi
22nd June 2008, 17:11
Kimi or Massa. They showed great speed in tracks that suit worse for Ferrari (Monaco and Montreal), so in my book that means a lot of 1-2 for Ferrari in coming races.

Like I said... :)

jens
22nd June 2008, 17:24
If Ferrari remains so dominant on the next circuits too, then it would be extremely tough to prevent them from taking the titles. BMW seemed to be seriously struggling and even consistency might not help Kubica if he can't achieve podiums on merit.

Shalafi
22nd June 2008, 17:29
If Ferrari remains so dominant on the next circuits too, then it would be extremely tough to prevent them from taking the titles. BMW seemed to be seriously struggling and even consistency might not help Kubica if he can't achieve podiums on merit.

Yeah, Kubica has the talent but BMW is not quick enough, Hamilton makes too many mistakes and Mclaren is not as quick as Ferrari in every track. So in the end it will be between Felipe and Kimi, unless other/both of them face constant bad luck.

ten-tenths
23rd June 2008, 03:34
Yeah, Kubica has the talent but BMW is not quick enough, Hamilton makes too many mistakes and Mclaren is not as quick as Ferrari in every track. So in the end it will be between Felipe and Kimi, unless other/both of them face constant bad luck.

bingo

jens
6th July 2008, 20:08
Wow.
48-48-48-46. :p : We have reached the half of the season mark!
It's quite incredible that whenever it seems Ferrari is going to run away with the titles, they have a serious setback and others come back into contention.

Massa had an awful race at Silverstone, but this time let's try to look at the situation wider than with the attitude of driver is as good as his last race. He is still a joint WDC leader and whenever FM has been written off, he has made a fantastic comeback. What's gonna happen?

Räikkönen hasn't won a race for a while (since Barcelona) and considering he's probably still rated as title favourite, it makes you wonder, when will he reach to winning ways? And amazingly despite all the setbacks he is still in a very good position to become a champion.

Hamilton was written off after France, but has incredibly made a comeback.

A shame Kubica went off at Silverstone, he could have retook the WDC lead. Considering this is his first mistake of the season, which is less than his direct rivals, then maybe the Pole will be saved from heavy criticism at the moment. :p :

DezinerPaul
7th July 2008, 03:14
Ferrari will 1-2 the Drivers title and take the Constructors

Ranger
7th July 2008, 06:08
This looks like a low-scoring WDC! The best-placed man only has 48 after 9 races.
There really are no favourites I think. Hamilton seems inconsistent, BMW appears to be dropping and Ferrari are shooting themselves in both feet. Whoever fixes their respective woes first will win the title.

The only standout acheivement (not standout driver) in the season so far is Kimi's 6 consecutive fastest laps (from 9 starts). He looks like he'll break his own record of 10 FL's this year. :up:

jens
21st July 2008, 18:59
Until Hockenheim I considered Räikkönen as the biggest title favourite despite all the ups-and-downs that have taken place during the season. But now... it seems like Hamilton is emerging as the main favourite.

McLaren has caught Ferrari in car development, if not passed. In addition McLaren's strong circuits should still come (Hungary, Monza, street circuits), which means that unless Hamilton cracks under pressure again he should have a very good chance (if McLaren keeps its form) especially if Ferrari guys continue taking points away from each other. However, safety car rule, unluck and other mess may turn situations very quickly and unexpectedly.

ShiftingGears
10th August 2008, 03:32
If it's possible to pick anyone at this stage, I'd say Hamilton.