PDA

View Full Version : Tsunami will destroy the US east coast in 8 hours!

Brown, Jon Brow
24th January 2007, 11:38
I found this old news a little scary!!

http://archives.cnn.com/2001/TECH/science/08/29/tidal.wave/index.html

A 330ft Tsunami wave will destroy the coasts of North/South America, Europe and Africa.

Millions will be dead

Daniel
24th January 2007, 14:24
It would be nice if you didn't have that title. It's not the sort of thing you want to see on the forum if you don't mind me saying. Something like "scary old news story" would have been far less alarming......

Eki
24th January 2007, 14:30
It would be nice if you didn't have that title. It's not the sort of thing you want to see on the forum if you don't mind me saying. Something like "scary old news story" would have been far less alarming......
It's good that you don't have a job coming up headlines for tabloid newspapers. You would probably report a Hollywood divorce and title it "Same ol', same ol'".

Erki
24th January 2007, 14:33
What's the reason of making that "will" bold?

Have you found a time travel machine and are posting from the past?

Brown, Jon Brow
24th January 2007, 14:46
It is a matter of WHEN, not IF this disaster will happen

harvick#1
24th January 2007, 14:56
every disaster is a matter of WHEN, its the same as Yellowstone National Park, thats just one big supervolcano waiting to erupt and send North America into a Ash field and destroying most of the North-West

Brown, Jon Brow
24th January 2007, 14:58
Yeah, if yellowstone erupts the effects will be felt all over the northern hemisphere.

Eki
24th January 2007, 15:04
Yeah, if yellowstone erupts the effects will be felt all over the northern hemisphere.
Not to mention Yogi Bear will be a goner.

viper_man
24th January 2007, 15:09
This was on a program on UKTV History last night at 1am called End Day.

There was this, Yellowstone, a meteor shower, a particle accelerator making a black hole, and a plague like virus.

Its all be said before.

Erki
24th January 2007, 15:10
It is a matter of WHEN, not IF this disaster will happen

In 8 hours? :rolleyes:

Brown, Jon Brow
24th January 2007, 15:16
8 hours from the eruption in the Canary Islands, read the link :rolleyes:

viper_man
24th January 2007, 17:43
Its not real, read my post :rolleyes:

luvracin
24th January 2007, 17:44
Surf's UP dude........

jso1985
24th January 2007, 19:11
if we gonna worry about how the earth might go wild and kill us, then why we keep living :rolleyes: it might happen, hopefully not, but what's the point of worrying, there's nothing we can do

Brown, Jon Brow
24th January 2007, 21:06
It seems that my headline was taken quite seriously by some of you and a regional newspaper :uhoh:

Ian McC
24th January 2007, 22:26
So, we're all going to die then :s mokin:

Someone pass the salt..............

Sirius
25th January 2007, 02:44
every disaster is a matter of WHEN, its the same as Yellowstone National Park, thats just one big supervolcano waiting to erupt and send North America into a Ash field and destroying most of the North-West

It is a matter of time harvick, however volcanos go through periods of inactivity or dormancy, some quite short and others like Yellowstone have dormancy periods lasting hundreds of thousands of years.

I believe Yellowstone last erupted some 650,000 years ago and judging by the dormancy period of that particular volcano, it could very well erupt anytime! Never mind this 33O foot tsunami off the coast of Africa, if Yellowstone ever erupted the entire earth would be a vastly different place, that is if past volumes of ejecta and rates of discharge of that volcano are taken into account.

I think that of all the natural disasters we are faced with here on earth, a volcano of that size aptly named a Supervolcano would be by far our greatest fear. The documentary titled Supervolcano was a show on the effects of such an eruption. It was very interesting and thought provoking to say the least!

Sirius

Hondo
25th January 2007, 02:57
Not to mention Yogi Bear will be a goner.

Yogi Bear lives in Jellystone park.

A.F.F.
25th January 2007, 06:43
It seems that my headline was taken quite seriously by some of you and a regional newspaper :uhoh:

You should change your nick to Welles, Orson Welle.

Mark in Oshawa
25th January 2007, 07:09
TO think, I was going to buy waterfront property in Miami!!! NOT....couldn't afford it anyhow, but ole Agwiii better keep the life jackets around his condo!!

sxis
25th January 2007, 07:43

A 330ft Tsunami wave will destroy the coasts of North/South America, Europe and Africa.

Millions will be deadThe BBC did a horizon special on this a few years ago i taped it & sent it to friends in tenerife it was very convincing this guy who was a professor of geology at some uni demonstrated what WILL happen not what might happen apparently the volcano is unstable because of the amount of water running through it if this heats up and expands the whole of one side of the volcano could slide into the sea creating a huge tsunami he did say there was no time scale to this it could be next year or 500 years it just needed the right conditions !

Mark in Oshawa
25th January 2007, 08:48
Well, I saw the special too, and if the Canaries ever do have this accident, then it is game over for the eastern seaboard of the US. Cant worry though about what might happen. Heck, a meteor could strike the earth too.....

Storm
25th January 2007, 09:34

Scarily enough I was reading about that just last night...
Bill Bryson's - A short history of nearly everything

Knock-on
25th January 2007, 10:05
I'd worry more about global warming. That's something we can all make a difference with.

AndySpeed
25th January 2007, 10:45
In theory, with a massive particle accelerator in existence in the states, scientists can create a miniature black hole if the collide two particles hard and fast enough. However, the tiny size of the black hole means it wouldn't last, and we'd all be safe until the next particle accelerator supercedes the last.

Knock-on
25th January 2007, 11:28
In theory, with a massive particle accelerator in existence in the states, scientists can create a miniature black hole if the collide two particles hard and fast enough. However, the tiny size of the black hole means it wouldn't last, and we'd all be safe until the next particle accelerator supercedes the last.

I think the LHC and accellerator you are worried about is at CERN; the chappies who invented the Internet.

That experiment is due the first half of this year and surrounds Gods Particle, the thing that gives all things mass.

Knock-on
25th January 2007, 12:07
I think the LHC and accellerator you are worried about is at CERN; the chappies who invented the Internet.

That experiment is due the first half of this year and surrounds Gods Particle, the thing that gives all things mass.

Sorry, factual error. I ment to say TBL invented the www while at Cern.

Sorry for the slip.

RaceFanStan
25th January 2007, 12:35

Millions will be dead
I'm sure the people on the US east coast are relieved that Jon Brow's prediction was in error ... http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g202/gr8link/orn/00.gif

Caroline
25th January 2007, 12:40
I think that of all the natural disasters we are faced with here on earth, a volcano of that size aptly named a Supervolcano would be by far our greatest fear. The documentary titled Supervolcano was a show on the effects of such an eruption. It was very interesting and thought provoking to say the least!

Sirius

I agree.

Supervolcanoes are serious. The last one, in Indonesia about 75,000 years ago - I may be wrong, correct me if I am - caused massive climatic change, which led to huge changes in the planet's biodiversity. The impact on our planet would be catastrophic.

jim mcglinchey
25th January 2007, 13:40
Scarily enough I was reading about that just last night...
Bill Bryson's - A short history of nearly everything

I read that book last year.. its very good but theres alot of scary stuff in it.

Drew
25th January 2007, 15:02
Hmm yes, scary stuff. Should this actually happen soon, life will never be the same again.

Not only would it kill probably hundreds of millions of people but it would also destroy the world's economy :\

Mark in Oshawa
25th January 2007, 15:26
I agree.

Supervolcanoes are serious. The last one, in Indonesia about 75,000 years ago - I may be wrong, correct me if I am - caused massive climatic change, which led to huge changes in the planet's biodiversity. The impact on our planet would be catastrophic.

How about put it this way: We are SCREWED and all dead!!!!

Our Biodiversity would be the least of our concerns I suspect.

Caroline
25th January 2007, 17:05
How about put it this way: We are SCREWED and all dead!!!!

Our Biodiversity would be the least of our concerns I suspect.

Ok we are screwed, but not all dead surely. Perhaps.

libra65
25th January 2007, 17:19
I saw a half hour show on either the History Channel or the Discovery Channel. Philly is about 70 miles west of Atlantic City NJ so we should be OK. Oh well, it may not happen for a couple hundred years so I wouldn't lose sleep over it if I lived on the coast. I think I would be more concerned over Hurricane season.

Mark in Oshawa
25th January 2007, 18:25
If a super tsunami hits, there is no guarntee that the wall of water wouldn't scoot right up the Delaware in a surge and swamp Philly as well.

If this thing is as nasty as some of those programs were talking about libra, most of the eastern seaboard inland below a certain elevation would get wailed on pretty good. Besides, the carnage of such an event would likely be as traumatic as 20 9/11's....and no one to blame for it...

libra65
25th January 2007, 19:20
If a super tsunami hits, there is no guarntee that the wall of water wouldn't scoot right up the Delaware in a surge and swamp Philly as well.

If this thing is as nasty as some of those programs were talking about libra, most of the eastern seaboard inland below a certain elevation would get wailed on pretty good. Besides, the carnage of such an event would likely be as traumatic as 20 9/11's....and no one to blame for it...

True enough, Mark, but I refuse to be Chicken Little about it. If it is going to happen it is nature-we can't control it. Its like a bride on her wedding day. All she worries about is if it will rain---the one thing she has absolutely no control over--no sense losing sleep.

Brown, Jon Brow
25th January 2007, 21:11
Besides, the carnage of such an event would likely be as traumatic as 20 9/11's....and no one to blame for it...

I would imagine it to be much worse than 9/11. About 2,000 were killed in the WTC, this wave could kill several Million in the USA alone.

The Western European coastline would also be affected in less than 1 hour. Portugal, Spain, France, Ireland, England (maybe the wave would funnel up the Bristol Channel and Irish Sea, therefore going further inland)

Africa, Caribbean and South America would also be at risk.

It's amazing how many Natural Hazards are out there that we don't relise. A huge Solar flare could cause major problems with only a few minutes warning. An undetected Comet could hit us, Aliens might arrive in the morning and we would be powerless. :(

Sirius
26th January 2007, 02:50
I agree.

The volcano you are referring to is Toba in Indonesia, and yes it was about 75,000 years ago. The impact on the planet at that time was catastrophic.

After the eruption of Toba the climate on earth had drastically changed for the worse. Scientists figure that the temperatures at that time dropped dramatically. I'm not too sure how many of you know just how serious a substantial drop in temperature is, but it caused unthinkable problems for the inhabitants of our earth at that time. Basically, a volcano will erupt magma with various types of rock mixtures and minerals. Once the eruption column rises tens of miles into the atmosphere one of the components of the ash column is sulfur and it's consequences on our climate are really amazing. Once the sulfur reaches the atmosphere it mixes with the moisture in the atmosphere to form tiny droplets of sulfuric acid and this misty veil of sulfuric acid is what blocks the sunlight from reaching our planet. It basically reflects the sunlight back into space. The eruption of Toba spewed billions of tons of this sulfur acid into the atmosphere. To put it in perspective, the largest eruption in the last 100 years or so was the 1991 eruption of Pinatubo in the Philippines, eventhough Pinatubo blew an enourmous 20 million ton cloud of sulphuric dioxide into the atrmosphere, it was miniscule in comparison to Toba.

It comes as no surprise to scientists that after the eruption of Toba, the earth went through a major cooling phase that lasted some 1,000 years plunging our earth into a mini ice age.

I remember being in Hawaii after the eruption of Pinatubo in the Philippines. The sunsets were something I'd never witnessed in my life. There was this amazing red hue over the horizon and this hue was the result of the sulfuric acid in the atmosphere. Nature never ceases to amaze!

Sirius