PDA

View Full Version : Teams start on new Concorde with Bernie

Valve Bounce
7th June 2008, 03:18
Just read this: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/68042

It is interesting that it was Max who drafted the original Concorde and now he is left out as spectator/commentator.

It is most interesting what Max had to say: "In my view, we should only sign a new Concorde Agreement if it reinforces the authority of the FIA and deals properly with the major financial crisis which appears imminent in F1.

"Costs have gone out of control, income is insufficient and major manufacturers are in difficulty with their core businesses. Only with fair and realistic financial arrangements will we avoid losing more teams."

This stance may not fit in with Ecclestone and the team's plans, however – especially with desire from some outfits to have a say in the framing of technical regulations.

I can see troubled times ahead as the storm brews.

gloomyDAY
7th June 2008, 03:21
Dig-in fellas.

This is going to get nasty!

Azumanga Davo
7th June 2008, 18:41

It is interesting that it was Max who drafted the original Concorde and now he is left out as spectator/commentator.

It is most interesting what Max had to say: "In my view, we should only sign a new Concorde Agreement if it reinforces the authority of the FIA and deals properly with the major financial crisis which appears imminent in F1.

"Costs have gone out of control, income is insufficient and major manufacturers are in difficulty with their core businesses. Only with fair and realistic financial arrangements will we avoid losing more teams."

This stance may not fit in with Ecclestone and the team's plans, however – especially with desire from some outfits to have a say in the framing of technical regulations.

So, we went from a few breakaway manufacturers, to none, to everyone in the space of a few years?

This is worse than Home and Away. :D

ioan
7th June 2008, 18:59

Let's see:

The FIA's involvement in a new Concorde Agreement is vital to the framing of a new document between the teams and the sport's chiefs, claims Toyota racing president John Howett.

Howett suggested that if matters reached a head and some teams considered a breakaway championship, Toyota would be unlikely to join.

"I think when you look from the outside at people who have broken away, it doesn't work. The successful series are those where the manufacturers remain and there is one series.

"As soon as you divide, then both series suffer. We need to consolidate the previous Concorde Agreement in a modern, clean and fresh way."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/68054

The biggest manufacturer, the richest one too isn't keen on any breakaway series and wants the FIA to be part of the new agreement.

ioan
7th June 2008, 19:02
And here's Bernie's view of it:

Despite his optimism, Ecclestone says it remains frustrating trying to deal with the teams in laying down terms they are all happy with - and that will be accepted by the FIA.

"I think Max really would like a Concorde Agreement that is more suited to the FIA," he said. "The teams against each other want different things....big wind tunnels, small wind tunnels, no wind tunnels. It is never ending and has been like that forever.

"It is really important we have one so everyone knows exactly what the rules are. The sponsors need stability...the teams are in this championship and they have no idea what the rules are."

Although some teams have privately been talking about the threat of a breakaway series in the event of no deal being reached with the FIA amid the ongoing controversy surrounding Mosley, Ecclestone has in public at least moved to play down the idea.

"Nobody has discussed a breakaway series," he said. "We have been discussing what we are putting in a Concorde Agreement, which we have spent two years trying to get signed.

"But these guys (the teams) can never make up their mind - one team wants something, another team something else and another team another."

Ecclestone also ruled out the possibility of F1 being run by a sanctioning body other than the FIA.

"It wouldn't make any difference," he said. "There would still be arguing amongst the teams about what they want."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/68067

Make of it what you wish as he can change his mind until tomorrow! :D

Sleeper
7th June 2008, 20:45
I'm getting a sense of de ja vu (sp?)

BDunnell
7th June 2008, 21:27
It saddens me that this sort of thing is now considered so important. Sadly, because of the nature of F1 today, it has to be, and I don't much like it.

CNR
8th June 2008, 01:29
I would not like to see full customer cars.
but i think that a team should be allowed to buy just the tub (or share in development costs of the tub) but must build or outsource the rest of the car parts

ShiftingGears
8th June 2008, 01:43
Hopefully the viewers are the ones who benefit out of this. There have been far too many dumb rules recently.

Valve Bounce
8th June 2008, 02:48
Here's an interesting read: http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=35017
...........and in particular the part about Bernie role is to supply the cars and the venues and Max's role is like the referee to blow the whistle. Now that they don't get along so good, things might turn out different if both Ferrari and Williams, former staunch supporters of the FIA, come aboard the Bernie train.

The article is a little long, but very interesting.

ShiftingGears
8th June 2008, 03:02
Here's an interesting read: http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=35017
...........and in particular the part about Bernie role is to supply the cars and the venues and Max's role is like the referee to blow the whistle. Now that they don't get along so good, things might turn out different if both Ferrari and Williams, former staunch supporters of the FIA, come aboard the Bernie train.

The article is a little long, but very interesting.

I just can't see this ever happening.