PDA

View Full Version : MotoGP Round 7: Barcelona

Corny
5th June 2008, 20:10
Probably the most 'average' track of the calendar.. I've hardly seen any surprises in the Barcelona race results for the last few years..

the news; Rossi will ride in a special livery this weekend, in the colors of Italy's football team.. I sure hope that'll bring the team some unluck on their first match :p
Pedrosa and Hayden will not run their pneumatic engines.. :(

My expectations: It could get a good fight between the Yamaha boys, with Pedrosa in third because of his lack of overtaking..
Another expectation; Randy will fall down.. surprising expectation isn't it?

jonny hurlock
5th June 2008, 22:27
Probably the most 'average' track of the calendar.. I've hardly seen any surprises in the Barcelona race results for the last few years..

the news; Rossi will ride in a special livery this weekend, in the colors of Italy's football team.. I sure hope that'll bring the team some unluck on their first match :p
Pedrosa and Hayden will not run their pneumatic engines.. :(

My expectations: It could get a good fight between the Yamaha boys, with Pedrosa in third because of his lack of overtaking..

did you watch last years race!? that was sick! anyway the doctors italy livery could look great, my expectations is rossi to win for the forth race in a row

patnicholls
5th June 2008, 22:34
Barcelona generally produces a very good set of races - on a motorbike if not in a car :p

Yep, the final few laps of last year's event was arguably one of the highlights of the big class season, I remember it well. Valentino does look a favourite for the win, but we'll see!

The tiddlers also entertain here, there've been some classics in recent times as well.

Roby44
6th June 2008, 12:27

Unluck... :eek: Thats a good one!!

Randy fall down! Do you really think that could happen! :p :

Roby44
6th June 2008, 12:40
Lorenzo wants to entertain fans but thinks title could be gone
Tuesday, 03 June 2008

After the disappointment of his Mugello crash Jorge Lorenzo thinks the 2008 MotoGP title is beyond his grasp, but is determined to keep enjoying his rookie premier class season.

Double 250cc World Champion Jorge Lorenzo has already caught the eye in MotoGP this season, making an electric start to the year with a trio of pole positions, victory in Portugal, four podium appearances and some spectacular crashes.

Still riding injured following his huge highside in China, the young Spanish rider has been getting on with his job and was in the running for another top result on Sunday at Mugello until he crashed out of the Italian race on lap six.

Despite still being third in the general standings, 18 points ahead of World Champion Casey Stoner in fourth, Lorenzo believes his round six crash means a shot at the title in his debut MotoGP campaign is now unrealistic – as he trails his Fiat Yamaha team-mate Valentino Rossi by 28 points.

A philosophical Lorenzo told motogp.com at the official Gran Premi Cinzano de Catalunya presentation in Barcelona on Tuesday, `We had a chance to win the championship, but I think after the crash we are out of it. So we have to concentrate on every race from now on just to have fun and to provide fun for everyone who watches on TV.´

Pragmatically reviewing his accident on Sunday he commented, `We crashed at Mugello and it is very disappointing, but we cannot change the past. We have to look to the future, stay motivated and the good results will return soon. Two hours after the race I had forgotten it and I was only thinking about this weekend´s race. We have good luck that we are riding again just one week later.´

Roby44
6th June 2008, 12:42
Friday, 06 June 2008

Jorge Lorenzo was present on Thursday for his addition to the `Avenida de los Campeones´ at the Circuit de Catalunya.

Jorge Lorenzo has been receiving plenty of praise since his arrival in MotoGP, and the Circuit de Catalunya added to the recognition of the 21 year-old on Thursday. This time the award was for his 250cc World Championship victories in 2006 and 2007, with an unveiling of a special plaque and a place on the prestigious `Avenida de los Campeones´.

Dorna Sports CEO Carmelo Ezpeleta and Montmelo Mayor Manel Ramal joined a respectable turnout of fans for a rainy Thursday afternoon in attending the presentation, whilst Lorenzo himself gave a few words to express his gratitude.

`Every time that I set foot here in the circuit I realise how lucky we are as riders. This weekend I don´t want to disappoint the fans who´ve come to watch,´ stated the Fiat Yamaha rider, who joins the likes of Sito Pons, Angel Nieto, Alex Criville and Dani Pedrosa in receiving recognition from the Circuit de Catalunya.

Roby44
6th June 2008, 12:43
Pedrosa starts strong in Barcelona practice

Friday, 06 June 2008
Dani Pedrosa was the fastest rider in the opening morning session for his home race, the Gran Premi Cinzano de Catalunya.

http://resources.motogp.com/files/images/xx/2008/MotoGP/Misc/non/223829_Dani+Pedrosa+in+action-1280x960-jun6.jpg.preview.jpg (http://www.motogp.com/en/photos/2008/Dani+Pedrosa+in+action+2)

The local favourite at the Circuit de Catalunya, Dani Pedrosa took the early psychological advantage with the fastest time of the first MotoGP free practice session. The Spaniard stopped the clock at 1´43.691 on his quickest lap, undertaken on a tricky surface after overnight rain and morning sun combined.
Current World Championship leader Valentino Rossi was second fastest, less than two-tenths of a second down on Pedrosa´s time. The Italian was running a special livery and leathers combination designed to celebrate his national team´s participation in the Uefa European Championships this month.
Second home hero Jorge Lorenzo, Rossi´s Fiat Yamaha teammate, also showed early promise, as did Rizla Suzuki´s Chris Vermeulen and Tech 3 Yamaha satellite man Colin Edwards in a tightly-bunched top five.
The first ten minutes of the session were strewn with problems for satellite team riders. JiR Team Scot´s Andrea Dovizioso was the first to come into difficulty, running off track just five minutes in. That incident was followed by a crash for Toni Elias, who hit the rumble strip and lowsided his Ducati Desmosedici GP8 Sat, causing a headache for his Alice Team mechanics as the machine suffered damage. LCR Honda´s Randy de Puniet then hit the deck.
Dovizioso came back with the seventh fastest time, just behind Alex de Angelis and faster than World Champion Casey Stoner. The latter suffered two run-offs and a crash during the one hour session, indicating that he won´t have things easy in his quest to repeat his 2007 victory.
Loris Capirossi and James Toseland completed the top ten.

Roby44
6th June 2008, 13:19
In FP2 Lorenzo had a big "off" on about lap 4.. Didn't look good, then Hopper came :confused: off...

Roby44
6th June 2008, 13:21
Rossi's special livery...Pink Gloves!!! :eek: :eek:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a20/MareeBrooks/2practice3-1.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a20/MareeBrooks/2practice5-2.jpg

Roby44
6th June 2008, 13:21
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a20/MareeBrooks/2practice7-1.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a20/MareeBrooks/2practice2-1.jpg

Roby44
6th June 2008, 14:09
In FP2 Lorenzo had a big "off" on about lap 4.. Didn't look good, then Hopper came :confused: off...

Lorenzos off..

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a20/MareeBrooks/20080606lorecrash1_M.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a20/MareeBrooks/20080606lorecrash2_M.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a20/MareeBrooks/20080606lorecrash3_M.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a20/MareeBrooks/20080606lorecrash5_M.jpg

NinjaMaster
6th June 2008, 14:58
Perhaps the possible Telefonica sponsorship is to pay for bike repairs, not Rossi's wage! :D

Corny
6th June 2008, 17:00
Unluck... :eek: Thats a good one!!

Bad luck :p
At least you know what I ment :D

Corny
6th June 2008, 18:05
Lorenzo will not start on sunday!

jonny hurlock
6th June 2008, 19:15
feels sorry lorge, get well soon, I really don't like that livery, stencil 46 doesn't work nether

Roby44
7th June 2008, 02:05
Lorenzo will not start on sunday!

He is one very lucky chap in that he didn't do more damage to himself!!

Jorge Lorenzo will miss his home Grand Prix at Barcelona this weekend after a crash in this afternoon's free practice.
The Spaniard lost the front of his M1 at turn 11 just four laps into the afternoon session and slid into the gravel, before being stretchered off and taken to the circuit clinic. After undergoing an initial check-up at the track, which confirmed that there were no further injuries to the ankles which he fractured in China, the decision was made to take him to hospital in Barcelona for further examination.
Doctor Xavier Mir of the University Institut Dexeus in Barcelona commented as follows: "I can confirm that Lorenzo will not be able to compete this weekend after the tests done here at the Institut Dexeus have confirmed the following injuries:
"1. He suffered head trauma and lost consciousness. We made a neurological examination with a CAT scan and an MRI scan and from this we can confirm that there is no cranial haemotoma or haemorrage. However, he now needs to stay under observation for between 48 and 72 hours to see how this develops.
2. He sustained an injury to the 4th and 5th finger on the right hand, where he has lost some skin. He also has an abrasion of the extensor tendon. We need to see how this develops but it could be possible that he needs a small skin graft.
3. Various other bruises and grazes."

osg
7th June 2008, 14:17
Hats off to Stoner, that was choice seeing him silence the crowd and go P1 after the flag......

7th June 2008, 23:19
Hats off to Stoner, that was choice seeing him silence the crowd and go P1 after the flag......

I agree. A win at Catalunya would be a real boost to the team. Randy dePuniet 4th after I've stopped selecting him in my Pickems, hope he can turn it into a good result.

Roby44
8th June 2008, 08:07
Sete Gibernau predicts Rossi victory

Saturday, 07 June 2008
In the Catalunya paddock on Friday and Saturday, former rider Sete Gibernau is predicting a win for his old rival Valentino Rossi.

http://resources.motogp.com/files/images/xx/2008/MotoGP/CAT/non/224311_Sete+Gibernau+back+in+the+MotoGP+paddock+fo r+the+Gran+Premi+Cinzano+de+Catalunya-1280x960-jun7.jpg.preview.jpg (http://www.motogp.com/en/photos/2008/Sete+Gibernau+back+in+the+MotoGP+paddock+for+the+G ran+Premi+Cinzano+de+Catalunya)

A familiar face made a return to the MotoGP paddock on Saturday afternoon, as Sete Gibernau took in the action at the Barcelona circuit. The Spaniard will also be in attendance to take part in a special Sunday presentation, commemorating the 200th race for the Gresini satellite team in its various incarnations.
Gibernau brought Team Manager Fausto Gresini some of his most successful moments in MotoGP, finishing runner up in the championship in 2003 and 2004. He also played a hefty part in the 35 victories taken by the team since its formation in 1997.
`To reach 200 races shows that they are doing a good job. I´ve been there and got my best results with those guys, so I'm proud of the team and hope that they can do 200 more,´ said Gibernau, who also had an enjoyable time watching an entertaining qualifying session.
`It´s close out there, I´ve been a long time away from racing, and it was fun to be here on Friday and Saturday. I´ve seen Valentino (Rossi) pretty strong here –he looks in control even though he is back on the grid- and on race pace he will be hard to beat. I hope Dani (Pedrosa) will have a good race, because of the fans here and it would be great to have a Spaniard up there winning,´ was the retired racer´s verdict on the exciting race sure to take place in his old stomping ground.

Roby44
8th June 2008, 08:08
Is that the real Sete talking??? :eek: :eek: Crikey!!

Roby44
8th June 2008, 08:10
First pole of 2008 surprises Stoner

Saturday, 07 June 2008
World Champion Casey Stoner admitted he was surprised to snatch a first 2008 pole position right at the end of an exciting Gran Premi Cinzano de Catalunya qualifying session.

http://resources.motogp.com/files/images/xx/2008/MotoGP/CAT/non/224242_Casey+Stoner+takes+pole+in+Catalunya-1280x960-jun7.jpg.preview.jpg (http://www.motogp.com/en/photos/2008/Casey+Stoner+takes+pole+in+Catalunya)

Casey Stoner wrapped up qualifying at the Circuit de Catalunya on Saturday at the head of the MotoGP grid after a perfect lap on his third and final qualifying tyre, before admitting to motogp.com that he had not expected such a result.
The Australian had shown good form on his first two Bridgestone qualifiers before an outstanding lap saw him smash the previous pole record by over six tenths of a second.
After a mixed bag so far this weekend uncertain weather forecasts could make for an unpredictable race day, but the Ducati Marlboro star is confident of his chances after finding a different set-up on each of his Desmosedici GP8 machines, both of which proved competitive on Saturday.
`It was a little bit unexpected,´ commented Stoner. `We thought we could have a reasonable qualifying practice today, but even going onto my last qualifying tyre I thought we would be lucky to get on the front row here. Then I just managed to put a nice clean lap together and everything worked out, but it definitely wasn´t expected and we´re quite happy.´
`The race set-up we have been working on all weekend and it´s getting better and better in each session,´ continued the MotoGP title holder, who won at Barcelona last year. `Now we have reached a point where we think that we are a little bit quicker than the other riders maybe, but tomorrow the conditions could change, anything could change and we will just have to see what happens.´
Meanwhile, Ducati MotoGP boss Livio Suppo added, `We are super happy and I think Casey did an unbelievable job. Bridgestone´s race tyres are very good, but on qualifying I think we still have to work. He was 1.2s quicker than the second Bridgestone rider in qualifying which is incredible and I think only Casey can do that!´

Roby44
8th June 2008, 08:11
Dovizioso predicts Pedrosa, Rossi and Stoner 2007 repeat

Saturday, 07 June 2008
Starting seventh on the grid, Andrea Dovizioso identifies 2007 top three as the ones to watch in the 2008 Gran Premi Cinzano de Catalunya.

http://resources.motogp.com/files/images/xx/2008/MotoGP/Misc/non/221715_Andrea+Dovizioso+in+the+Jir+Scot+garage-1280x960-may17.jpg.preview.jpg (http://www.motogp.com/en/photos/2008/Andrea+Dovizioso+in+the+Jir+Scot+garage+2)

On the back foot after some front-end problems halted his Catalunya progress, Andrea Dovizioso had a creditable showing in qualifying in Barcelona. The JiR Team Scot rider will be aiming to get up amongst the leaders from seventh, but predicts a repeat of last year´s top three..
Andrea Dovizioso - Seventh

`We did much better today and I was able to constantly lap with the pace in the low 1´43 bracket which allows me to stay with the leaders. This is why I think that tomorrow we will have a good race as the small troubles I had with the front-end of the bike have been reduced. I think the people who will be competitive in the race will be Pedrosa, Rossi and Stoner up front. On the other hand some other riders who did well in qualifying today may not be so competitive in the race. Tomorrow the tyre choice is important according to the temperature and the overall weather conditions. In fact, what has been apparent over the last two days is how the conditions can change the grip levels so much. I´m very satisfied with our performance even on qualifying tyres and at least I can now say that I´ve made a step forward. In tomorrow morning´s warm-up we may make some small adjustments to make further improvements.´

Roby44
8th June 2008, 08:12
I'm with Dovi!! ;)

Mach24
8th June 2008, 09:14
http://pages.tvunetworks.com/channels/index.jsp?g=3#

Star sports

Looks like a live feed.

Roby44
8th June 2008, 09:45
Thanks..

tha_jackal
8th June 2008, 10:50
Congrats to Mike DiMeglio! Is he finally coming of age!? I surely hope so, prob one of my favorite riders..

Roby44
8th June 2008, 10:59
I like Pol Espargaro :) and Bradley Smith.. :(

Next race.. I like Mattia Pasini and Yuki ..

tha_jackal
8th June 2008, 11:06
My money's on Kallio, Bautista or Barbera.. The home riders will shine ;)

Roby44
8th June 2008, 11:22
Poor Yuki, as if he hasn't enough to worry about with an under powered bike, then he gets "bumped" off track! :rolleyes:

Lucky though that Locatelli didn't hurt himself again after, was it only , last year??

Barbera and Simoncelli might make it "interesting"" :)

tha_jackal
8th June 2008, 11:40
Barbera hasn't got the legs.. Itll be either Bautista or Simoncelli, could end in tears *cringes and half covers eyes* ..

tha_jackal
8th June 2008, 11:41
Damn it!!!! Kallio out, my fantasy team sure is taking some big hits in these recent rounds :(

Roby44
8th June 2008, 11:43
Barbera hasn't got the legs.. Itll be either Bautista or Simoncelli, could end in tears *cringes and half covers eyes* ..

Finger nails go again...

Marco hopefully...

Roby44
8th June 2008, 11:48
Yippeee Marco!!!!

tha_jackal
8th June 2008, 11:48
Wow!! Really un-Bautista like mistake there.. Congrats to Simoncelli, having a great year after really underperforming last season..

Roby44
8th June 2008, 11:53
The commentators just said its his rookie year in 250cc, I had forgotten that

He is riding very well isn't he,especially when you think of how he usually races.. :eek:

Poor Mattia... He's still happy..

Wim_Impreza
8th June 2008, 14:54
Poor Yuki, as if he hasn't enough to worry about with an under powered bike, then he gets "bumped" off track! :rolleyes:

Lucky though that Locatelli didn't hurt himself again after, was it only , last year??

It was last year in Jerez.

And we saw again no fight for victory in MotoGP, the 7th time in 7 races this year. :(

MrJan
8th June 2008, 15:01
No fight for the win but some good battles down the field. I don't care if it's not a fight for the lead as long as we see some good racing. Pedrosa took the others to school today and Rossi was fantastic riding from 9th.

Nice to see my boy Toseland getting another solid finish and a big :up: to Dovi who has also been doing alright recently.

NinjaMaster
8th June 2008, 15:08
I found all the races quite entertaining, even if the last couple of weeks have been murder for my fantasy team. :(
The 125's were carnage, so many crashes. DiMeglio is starting to look the real deal and it would be good to see a fast young Frenchman come through the ranks. Pol Espargaro is a sensational talent and I forgot how young he was earlier in the year when I was disappointed with his season to date. And I am really chuffed to see things turning around for Talma now.
And speaking of looking the real deal, how good is Simoncelli riding! The crashaholic of years gone by looked to continue that trend after the first round but has been sensational since and if not for crashing into Bautistas seized bike at Jerez, he could be leading the championship! Bautista rode a great race, only let down by the mistake on the last lap. But credit to Marco how heaped the pressure on and Alvaro cracked. Bad luck for Kallio breaking down in a solid points position but how lucky was he to not launch over the handlebars after running over the ripple strip on the way back to the pits?! :eek:
The MotoGP race, whilst not exciting for the lead, the battle for second was fantastic and just when Rossi looked like he had Stoner beat, Casey found something extra to really put the pressure on but just not enough to get by. It was also quite unusual to see so many DNF's in MotoGP which generally has a very good finishing rate.

F1boat
8th June 2008, 17:31
Well done for Dani, he was outstanding today.