PDA

View Full Version : Newman sponsor hunting?

BobbyC
5th June 2008, 02:03
This from the wires . . . Ryan Newman could be sponsor hunting.
The Verizon buy out could result in his sponsor leaving.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/story/markets/industries/telecom/verion-reportedly-negotiating-buy-alltel/

Jonesi
5th June 2008, 09:32
This from the wires . . . Ryan Newman could be sponsor hunting.
The Verizon buy out could result in his sponsor leaving.
http://www.foxbusiness.com/story/markets/industries/telecom/verion-reportedly-negotiating-buy-alltel/

I think things are more professional in Cup racing, that (IF Alltel is bought and their sponsorship goes away) Newman doesn't have to look for sponsors, Penske has a staff to do that.

JovialJooles
5th June 2008, 09:59
Jonesi, were you looking for the tongue in cheek smilie, or are you being a sad pedant? :p

RaceFanStan
5th June 2008, 12:56
Jonesi, I agree that securing a sponsor isn't a driver's duty. :D
It would hard for me to imagine that Verizon would fire Chad. ;)

BobbyC
5th June 2008, 16:39
NASCAR banned wireless communications companies in 2003 from advertising under terms of the Viceroy Rule imposed by Winston. Alltel and the former Cingular were grandfathered in the sport under the Viceroy Rule, but with the Vodafone buyout it clears out the clause and wireless rivals of Sprint will be out at the end of 2008.

Vodafone already sponsors Gillett Everham Motorsports' Nationwide Series cars of Chase Miller in a part-time role. There is no restriction on wireless company advertising in the NNS or NCTS. There is a ban on insurance advertising (must sunset at end of 2008) in the NNS under the Viceroy Rule.

Jag_Warrior
7th June 2008, 20:37
Jonesi, I agree that securing a sponsor isn't a driver's duty.

No, not at a team like Penske, or a driver like Newman. But it's fairly common for drivers to pursue sponsors... if they want to race.

BenRoethig
7th June 2008, 21:29
NASCAR banned wireless communications companies in 2003 from advertising under terms of the Viceroy Rule imposed by Winston. Alltel and the former Cingular were grandfathered in the sport under the Viceroy Rule, but with the Vodafone buyout it clears out the clause and wireless rivals of Sprint will be out at the end of 2008.

Vodafone already sponsors Gillett Everham Motorsports' Nationwide Series cars of Chase Miller in a part-time role. There is no restriction on wireless company advertising in the NNS or NCTS. There is a ban on insurance advertising (must sunset at end of 2008) in the NNS under the Viceroy Rule.

Vodafone may have a 45% stake in Verizion wireless, but Verizon communications has full administrative control. Its an uneasy partnership to be sure as both companies have made it know their desire to buy the other one out.