PDA

View Full Version : Changes for the Bridge Front Wings!

ioan
3rd June 2008, 11:53
Six teams are running bridge wings that span across the nose - McLaren, Toyota, Renault, Williams, Red Bull Racing and Scuderia Toro Rosso. Renault's design already featured a central stay, while the other teams will have to follow suit from Montreal.

It is understood that the move was made after the Turkish Grand Prix, where on-board video footage of some of the bridge wings over the weekend suggested that they could be flexing at high speed.

The FIA has always been keen to ensure teams do not exploit the area of moveable aerodynamic devices, and has previously moved to stamp down on the issue for Canada, where the track's characteristics mean that flexible wings can be a big advantage.

Link: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/67956

Azumanga Davo
3rd June 2008, 12:27
Surprised they hadn't already said something before...

ioan
3rd June 2008, 12:32
Surprised they hadn't already said something before...

You know, Max was busy with other things, and some think he is responsible for everything.

SGWilko
3rd June 2008, 12:37
You know, Max was busy with other things, and some think he is responsible for everything.

He is only responsible for the thinks over which he has responsibility. ;)

As usual, the bridge wings were looked at, and the FIA deemed them fine. As usual, this is no longer the case. :rolleyes:

Apparently, rings around Uranus have had an adverse effect on Jupiter, so the FIA had to act, didn't they? :laugh: ;)

Dave B
3rd June 2008, 12:39
Personally I think they're butt-ugly, but it stands to reason that if they're flexing then the should be secured.

Presumably Honda's "Dumbo" wings don't flex - there's no obvious way of securing them.

ShiftingGears
3rd June 2008, 12:47
Will be interesting if this will cost the teams significant pace.

SGWilko
3rd June 2008, 12:50
Will be interesting if this will cost the teams significant pace.

I don't really see how. I thought the wings were more to do with conditioning the air over the car to the rear wing than adding downforce.

Of course, this aint my speciality so I am probably wrong, but I'm sure I've read that is their main purpose.

Or am I muddling that with the bits BMW and Honda run on the nose?

Azumanga Davo
3rd June 2008, 15:14
I don't really see how. I thought the wings were more to do with conditioning the air over the car to the rear wing than adding downforce.

Of course, this aint my speciality so I am probably wrong, but I'm sure I've read that is their main purpose.

Similar ideology, different interpretations and results.

wedge
3rd June 2008, 15:22

They do both things.

The middle section tidies front car airflow.

The section closer to the endplates are angled to produce downforce. That's why you don't see the 'double-decker' front winglet setup anymore.

SGWilko
3rd June 2008, 16:22
They do both things.

The middle section tidies front car airflow.

The section closer to the endplates are angled to produce downforce. That's why you don't see the 'double-decker' front winglet setup anymore.

Aha, so I was right :) and wrong :( all at the same time. ;)

elinagr
3rd June 2008, 16:24
Ferrari dont use them..thats why they will modify the rule :D

SGWilko
3rd June 2008, 16:27
Ferrari dont use them..thats why they will modify the rule :D

Uh oh, cover your ears mate, they'll be along to berate you shortly you little pickle you! :laugh:

ioan
3rd June 2008, 16:44
Sooner or later someone would have said it, at least he spared someone else the embarrassment. ;)

elinagr
3rd June 2008, 16:54
i am a Ferrari supporter, i just mentioned it as a joke...

SGWilko
3rd June 2008, 16:57
i am a Ferrari supporter...

OK, over here and lie on the couch and tell me all about it.

Did my secretary explain my fees? :laugh:

ioan
3rd June 2008, 17:04
i am a Ferrari supporter, i just mentioned it as a joke...

I know, that's why I said that you spared someone else the embarrassment!

Garry Walker
3rd June 2008, 19:33
But I thought only Ferrari cheated...

Knock-on
3rd June 2008, 20:17
But I thought only Ferrari cheated...

You and me both :laugh:

But pray tell, who else has in this thread?

PSfan
4th June 2008, 05:21
Link: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/67956

Well... I guess this is proof positive that last year the FIA where not after McLeran...

speedtv on many occasions pointed out that the "bridge wing" on the macs where moving (actually dissapearing out of view on many on board views ) and no-one did anything about it last year when the Macs where the only team using them...

Kinda makes you wonder "why now?"