PDA

View Full Version : Vettel In, Coulthard Out Before Season's End ?

CNR
30th May 2008, 11:58
http://www.paddocktalk.com/news/html/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=85556

By the veteran Scot's own admission at Monaco, 2008 has been a "shocking" season so far for David Coulthard.
"To be six races in, without any points and with so much accident damage, is really disappointing," he said after crashing out of the grand prix at Monte Carlo.
Should Coulthard be replaced, it is no secret that Red Bull's favoured candidate would be Sebastian Vettel, who drives for Toro Rosso but is under direct contract with the energy drink outfit.

i wonder if they could swap them Coulthard to Toro Rosso

do not forget that redbull did this with Christian Klien (http://www.formula1.com/results/driver/2005/123.html) and Vitantonio Liuzzi (http://www.formula1.com/results/driver/2005/802.html) in 2005

Valve Bounce
30th May 2008, 12:05
Look!! I already told you!! DC is going to take over as President of the FIA. Weren't you paying attention??? :rolleyes:

ShiftingGears
30th May 2008, 12:13
I really don't see how anyone can say that Vettel would be a better candidate for Red Bull than Bourdais. The only advantage Vettel has is that he is younger.

ioan
30th May 2008, 12:37
I really don't see how anyone can say that Vettel would be a better candidate for Red Bull than Bourdais. The only advantage Vettel has is that he is younger.

That's more than enough advantage when two drivers are about equal in other aspects.

ShiftingGears
30th May 2008, 12:49
That's more than enough advantage when two drivers are about equal in other aspects.

I disagree. Just because a driver is young does not mean they have more potential than another.

K-Pu
30th May 2008, 13:10
And... who would be in the Toro Rosso vancant seat?

ioan
30th May 2008, 13:36
I disagree. Just because a driver is young does not mean they have more potential than another.

Well, they have more appeal exactly because they are younger and they have more time to develop whatever potential they might have.

As I said Bourdais is a solid driver, with lots of experience in open wheel racing, and mostly on street races.
Still Vettel was the one who kept it on the island and capitalized on it better.

One is good and reliable, but the other has that rare killer instinct needed to take advantage of favorable situations, and he proved it several times already. And being young gives him time to become more experienced and consistent. ;)

ioan
30th May 2008, 13:37

The question is how long will there be any Toro Rosso seats on the grid.
As for now, they will certainly find a driver available in GP2, F3 or A1GP, preferably one with healthy sponsorship.

ShiftingGears
30th May 2008, 23:52
One is good and reliable, but the other has that rare killer instinct needed to take advantage of favorable situations, and he proved it several times already.

You are talking about one race here. Far too early to make a judgement like that.

And being young gives him time to become more experienced and consistent. ;)

Considering the pace that Bourdais has got, I'd say that he is the one who will develop more, given time and experience.

Valve Bounce
30th May 2008, 23:58
Hey!! you guys are talking about the demise of DC, one of the forum favorites; but nobody will spare a thought about him. :(

That's hardly fair.

ShiftingGears
31st May 2008, 00:08
Hey!! you guys are talking about the demise of DC, one of the forum favorites; but nobody will spare a thought about him. :(

That's hardly fair.

Merely a hypothetical situation ;)

Placid
31st May 2008, 00:14

I believe it will be Michael Armenmueller.

Valve Bounce
31st May 2008, 02:34
.......or Ide. :D

Placid
31st May 2008, 03:22
I believe it will be Michael Armenmueller.
Sorry about the spelling, is Ammermueller.

jens
31st May 2008, 09:13
The fact that both Toro Rosso drivers have collected more points than DC so far this season, certainly doesn't help the Scotsman. Especially as he hasn't had noticable reliability woes, which could have prevented from scoring points.

Who would drive at STR? Good question. Doornbos? Buemi is too inexperienced to get a shot now.
But for some reason I think The Crashmaster will be given time until the end of the season unless he crashes out in the next two races...

Ranger
31st May 2008, 09:33
Unless Red Bull fall substantially behind Williams because of Coulthard's lack of points, he will stay until the end of the season.

Jag_Warrior
31st May 2008, 13:57

That's hardly fair.

From his past ontrack performances to his offtrack lifestyle, I've always had a soft spot for Coulthard. IMO, it would be better (for his image) if he stepped aside after this season is over.

wedge
31st May 2008, 14:45
Blundell & Brundle will have something to say to Christian Horner!

Probably a conflict of interest but I would like to hear their comments in the ITV commentary.

Roamy
1st June 2008, 00:47
Horner will probably display his new degree from Theissen University

Garry Walker
1st June 2008, 14:20
Well, they have more appeal exactly because they are younger and they have more time to develop whatever potential they might have.

As I said Bourdais is a solid driver, with lots of experience in open wheel racing, and mostly on street races.
Still Vettel was the one who kept it on the island and capitalized on it better.

One is good and reliable, but the other has that rare killer instinct needed to take advantage of favorable situations, and he proved it several times already. And being young gives him time to become more experienced and consistent. ;)

Vettel has considerably more F1 experience than Bourdais, that is more important than just "experience."

I like Red Bull, but if they replace DC with Vettel, they will show themselves as idiots

millencolin
1st June 2008, 14:38
I hope this doesnt happens...

means i would have to change my signature

SGWilko
1st June 2008, 15:36
I like Red Bull,

I don't, it's way too sickly for me... ;)

CNR
3rd June 2008, 12:36
http://www.paddocktalk.com/news/html/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=85956

Formula one drivers Nelson Piquet Jr, David Coulthard and Sebastian Vettel could be at the centre of an elaborate and imminent musical-chairs scenario.
Stage one of the rearrangement, according to the rumour, would be the replacement of rookie Piquet - who has struggled in the high profile Renault seat so far this season - by F1 veteran Coulthard, who currently drives for Renault-powered Red Bull.
22-year-old Piquet, meanwhile, would be slotted into Vettel's Toro Rosso seat, with the burgeoning German to fill Coulthard's vacant spot at parent outfit RBR.

dc10
3rd June 2008, 12:49
That could be interesting

ShiftingGears
3rd June 2008, 12:51
http://www.paddocktalk.com/news/html/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=85956

Absolutely not.

jens
3rd June 2008, 17:31
That sounds very illogical.
Okay, I can understand Vettel's move to Red Bull (it sounds actually logical).
I can also understand if Piquet is sent to lower team (STR) to gain some confidence or whatever.

But DC at Renault? :laugh: How on earth can this possibly happen? Even Sato or Davidson would be a better choice - at least they won't crash that much.

Garry Walker
3rd June 2008, 19:46
That sounds very illogical.
Okay, I can understand Vettel's move to Red Bull (it sounds actually logical).
I can also understand if Piquet is sent to lower team (STR) to gain some confidence or whatever.

But DC at Renault? :laugh: How on earth can this possibly happen? Even Sato or Davidson would be a better choice - at least they won't crash that much.

Davidson better than DC? Good one.
Davidson is a bunny and I for one am glad his F1 career appears to be over.
DC is a level above both of Sato and "ant."

SGWilko
3rd June 2008, 21:05
Davidson better than DC? Good one.
Davidson is a bunny and I for one am glad his F1 career appears to be over.
DC is a level above both of Sato and "ant."

Bunny?

K-Pu
3rd June 2008, 21:21
This would be veeery interesting to see since I find it more or less logical until we get to the point of putting DC in a Renault. He isnīt in the best of his seasons, and Renault is also... letīs say "struggling".

No doubt DC is better driver than Sato (and obiously than Davidson), but at this moment maybe heīs not the best candidate. Maybe Sato... or why not, Grosjean?

Bezza
4th June 2008, 10:10
Be very interesting to see DC against Alonso. May have a suprising result which will also show how quick Webber is.

ShiftingGears
4th June 2008, 11:20
Be very interesting to see DC against Alonso. May have a suprising result which will also show how quick Webber is.

Why not have Webber against Alonso, seeing as Alonso would beat DC?

jens
4th June 2008, 11:50

Umm. If DC joins Renault, it would certainly take same time to adjust to the car and we won't get a proper comparison anyway.

IMO hiring a driver midseason is beneficial only if he is engaged with the team in the long run. With Vettel and Red Bull this would be the case. We have often seen a driver struggling for half a season in a new team and in a new car. So why hire a driver for half a year to find competitiveness just for the last race of the year and then bye-bye?! In that case better promote a test driver, who is already familiar with the car (like McLaren did with de la Rosa in 2006). On the flip side for example hiring Villeneuve by Renault at the end of 2004 didn't make any sense at all.

CNR
5th June 2008, 00:39
this is making it to other online news so it may be true

http://www.bleacherreport.com/articles/27283-Formula-one-On-the-likelihood-of-a-threeway-driver-switch-after-Montreal-

sources close to Renault, RBR and STR let slip of a cunning plan involving three of their drivers: David Coulthard, Nelson Piquet and Sebastien Vettel in a "musical chair" style reshuffle.