PDA

View Full Version : The FIA and their weather machine

mstillhere
26th May 2008, 06:26
I am sure many of you noticed that despite the FIA was forecasting more rain was coming in reality it never did. I noticed, to my surprise and yours I am sure, that FA first of many put on dry tires despite that prediction. Many other followed his lead. Felipe is now complaining the the FIA's wrong info, as we all know now, cost him the race. My question is:
Did Renault have better info than the FIA? If the FIA's weather's machine is not reliable why bother in influencing the team's decisions? Any follow up on this story or we just have to pretend that that never happened really and we should know better than paying attention to what the FIA says or does?

gloomyDAY
26th May 2008, 06:31
I am sure many of you noticed that despite the FIA was forecasting more rain was coming in reality it never did. I noticed, to my surprise and yours I am sure, that FA first of many put on dry tires despite that prediction. Many other followed his lead. Felipe is now complaining the the FIA's wrong info, as we all know now, cost him the race. My question is:
Did Renault have better info than the FIA? If the FIA's weather's machine is not reliable why bother in influencing the team's decisions? Any follow up on this story or we just have to pretend that that never happened really and we should know better than paying attention to what the FIA says or does?Solution? (http://www.weather.com/)

Weather in unpredictable. I'm not sure who the FIA gets their information from, but I remember the prompt said 6 minutes until more rain and then 7 minutes later Fernando was slapping on some dries.

janneppi
26th May 2008, 06:40
I thought it was common for teams to have people watching for rain few km's outside track area?

Storm
26th May 2008, 07:07
FIA Weather predictions have been crap most of the time...same as our local predictions then :)

as for Alonso ? He asked on pit radio if anybody is on dry....seeing as he was in a lowly position they decided to take the risk and see if the dry tyres were much quicker as he had nothing to lose at that point.

Big Ben
26th May 2008, 07:37
maybe FIA's predictions are meant only to keep us in front of the tv :laugh:

mstillhere
26th May 2008, 15:48
maybe FIA's predictions are meant only to keep us in front of the tv :laugh:

:)

ioan
26th May 2008, 16:02
Did Renault have better info than the FIA? If the FIA's weather's machine is not reliable why bother in influencing the team's decisions? Any follow up on this story or we just have to pretend that that never happened really and we should know better than paying attention to what the FIA says or does?

Ferrari could pay their own meteorologist, or even better change their strategists as they are worse than the FIA weather men.
Massa was fighting Kubica who got 2nd place because he changed to dry weather tires before him, what were the Ferrari team doing? Couldn't they see as far as the next garage?!
There were several drivers out there lapping very very fast on dry weather tires for quite some time.

mstillhere
26th May 2008, 19:15
Ferrari could pay their own meteorologist, or even better change their strategists as they are worse than the FIA weather men.
Massa was fighting Kubica who got 2nd place because he changed to dry weather tires before him, what were the Ferrari team doing? Couldn't they see as far as the next garage?!
There were several drivers out there lapping very very fast on dry weather tires for quite some time.

Look, on a different note, we need to look at whole picture to really see what's going on.

1. Ferrari got the pole on a track that's a McLaren track. They won the race ONLY because of the rain. Otherwise it would have been a Ferrari 1,2. This makes us hope well for the next race, since the Canadian track is similar to Montecarlo.
2. Ferrari is STILL the car to beat. OK their strategy was not great but the new Ferrari managers are learning.
3. Last year Lewis was 10 points ahead at this time. Kimi is 8 points ahead compared to last year. So,we all know waht happened last year. OK they won yesterday. It's obviously not enough to win a world championship.

So, I try to look at the big picture. Honestly we cannot win every single race.

Brown, Jon Brow
26th May 2008, 19:37

But didn't Massa lose the radio so he couldn't communicate with the pits?

K-Pu
26th May 2008, 22:42
Ha, then Alonso revived his past in Asturias, and knew just by looking at the sky that it wasnīt going to rain!

Well, this is just a bad joke, but reminds me of the shepherds in my village, or my grandfather, who thaught me that the rain clouds were "donkey-belly" coloured (panzaburra in Spanish).

But with the FIA... Weather is unpredictable, but not totally (itīs not random). I remember the weather forecast when I was in the Netherlands and they were something like "itīs going to stop raining at 12:15", and in fact it stopped raining. Always. If you can see this just by visiting a website, what is the FIA doing? Who is the meteorologist?

mstillhere
26th May 2008, 23:36
Ha, then Alonso revived his past in Asturias, and knew just by looking at the sky that it wasnīt going to rain!

Well, this is just a bad joke, but reminds me of the shepherds in my village, or my grandfather, who thaught me that the rain clouds were "donkey-belly" coloured (panzaburra in Spanish).

But with the FIA... Weather is unpredictable, but not totally (itīs not random). I remember the weather forecast when I was in the Netherlands and they were something like "itīs going to stop raining at 12:15", and in fact it stopped raining. Always. If you can see this just by visiting a website, what is the FIA doing? Who is the meteorologist?

I totally agree with you. But that's precisely what I don't understand. With so much reliable technology available around, how the FIA gets it wrong, is beyond my understanding. They should be ashamed!!!