PDA

View Full Version : The Ferrari era Kimi Raikkonen

CaptainRaiden
26th May 2008, 05:49
Is it just me who sees Kimi as an entirely different driver since he joined Ferrari? And maybe he is even becoming worse.

I don't know how to put it, but he seems kinda controlled, like not being allowed to really drive his heart out. For some reason he doesn't seem like the same wild and spectacular Kimi I came to know and really like at Mclaren.

His driving has become much more civilized and unspectacular and to some point not quite as brave as before. Maybe he doesn't need to be spectacular and brave with that stonking fast Ferrari under him and sure, that brings him the championship and consistent championship points, but he is like a different driver altogether. Maybe it's only my perspective, that's why wanted to know what other people think.

CNR
26th May 2008, 06:04
it may be a case of the Ferrari being a better car and looking at points not wins.

Casey Stoner (http://www.caseystoner.com.au/)was the same on an infearior bike

Tallgeese
26th May 2008, 11:06
Is it just me who sees Kimi as an entirely different driver since he joined Ferrari? And maybe he is even becoming worse.

I don't know how to put it, but he seems kinda controlled, like not being allowed to really drive his heart out. For some reason he doesn't seem like the same wild and spectacular Kimi I came to know and really like at Mclaren.

His driving has become much more civilized and unspectacular and to some point not quite as brave as before. Maybe he doesn't need to be spectacular and brave with that stonking fast Ferrari under him and sure, that brings him the championship and consistent championship points, but he is like a different driver altogether. Maybe it's only my perspective, that's why wanted to know what other people think.

I think back at McLaren-Mercedes (especially in 2005) he was really a driver who put fear into others & coming second then was almost as good as winning the world championship as he edged out on Schumacher. In 2006 he had an unreliable engine & McLaren-Mercedes failed to win a single race. My guess is in 2005 he pushed his hardest (& it's probably still his most impressive season) but he still came out second best & that couldn't be good for his self-esteem.

My guess is, at Ferrari he had to fine-tune his driving style to suit the car.

ioan
26th May 2008, 12:59

He matured, that's all.

N. Jones
26th May 2008, 13:37
I think what he is doing is defending his wdc, not attacking in the hopes of winning his first one.

aryan
26th May 2008, 14:15
It goes by the name of maturity, experience... and other such adjectives.

He's 28 now with 1 WDC under his belt. Do you expect him to driver like 2003?

Dzeidzei
26th May 2008, 18:01

Well, in the post race interviews he just smiled and wasnt too bothered about what had happened. I think he had the time of his life on Saturday night with some Czech erotic dancer with huge...

... oh, sorry. It was the other Finnish wdc. The 2 time one.

Kimi will come back. Spain was okay, Turkey was defending a position and in Monaco he sucked. Big time!

BUt Id put my money on him in Montreal.

CaptainRaiden
26th May 2008, 18:08

Would be much more convincing and stylish if he did. Defending certainly doesn't suit his personality I guess.

Meanwhile, I was checking the Pickems, and it's surprising that even after that dismal show at Monaco, the majority picked Kimi to win at Canada.

aryan
27th May 2008, 09:35
Meanwhile, I was checking the Pickems, and it's surprising that even after that dismal show at Monaco, the majority picked Kimi to win at Canada.

The majority, including me, still believe that Ferrari is the fastest car, and Kimi is the better driver.

We'll see if we are right on both counts.

SGWilko
27th May 2008, 12:07
I think IMVHO that Kimi might be slightly cautious of Massa, and is reacting badly to Filipe's recent run of excellent races - including Monaco (remember we -myself included) were all condemning him after Oz....

At McLaren, did Kimi really ever have a teammate he felt could whip his behind consistently?

I guess he thought that of Massa last year........

Knock-on
27th May 2008, 12:15
I think Kimi lucked into last years WDC a bit and that must unsettle him.

Massa is surprising a lot of people by holding a car on the island a bit more than normal and probably that's giving him concern as well.

Then we have Lewis pileing on the pressure.

Kimi is struggleing.

jas123f1
27th May 2008, 12:50
He matured, that's all.

I'm not sure that's all. I think he must try to wake up now. It's possible easier now when he doesn't lead in the points any more. But also the team must be more accurate now - and i'm sure they will ..

CaptainRaiden
27th May 2008, 13:53
While Kimi was at Mclaren having all those constant mechanical failures, his fans including me believed that if he gets a fast and reliable car, he would cream his rivals and walk the championship.

That could still happen as there are plenty of races to go, but for some reason it still feels like he is not giving his 110% like he used to. Something is wrong. He doesn't look like the same Kimi for whom Schumacher had to make way. Maybe Massa's performance at Monaco was a huge shock for Kimi?

27th May 2008, 13:55
I still find a nagging doubt with Kimi. This year, I expected him to really step up and become 'the man'.

Monaco was the sort of stinker that any driver could have, but both Turkey & Bahrain never seemed to get going for him.

Strange.

CaptainRaiden
27th May 2008, 14:00
I still find a nagging doubt with Kimi. This year, I expected him to really step up and become 'the man'.

Monaco was the sort of stinker that any driver could have, but both Turkey & Bahrain never seemed to get going for him.

Strange.

Yep, that's what has been on my mind as well for quite some time. Maybe something is not right with his head, some personal problems?

Or maybe because he has 25 pounds more body weight than the tiny Massa. :D

aryan
27th May 2008, 15:45
People go through bad periods in their life. I think we've all seen that...

But having said that, as a long-time kimi fan who thought he would "cream his rivals and walk the championship" if he got a reliable car, I have to say I see what you guys mean.

leopard
28th May 2008, 03:48
I think mostly Kimi fans wish to see him drives and wins at the McLaren. One thing behind this occurrence is his long rivalry with Schumi who drove at his current team. His decision to move to Ferrari was kinda telling the fans of a flip flop-er. Although probably there weren't better choice for him other than Ferrari at that time.

I wasn't shocked he left the race once Schumi in the paddock of Ferrari. He might be disturbed although sooner and later he can get accustomed working with Schumi. Schumi might hold important role for Ferrari performance, people will slightly consider Kimi's title was for development performed by Schumi. To ensure Kimi is comfortable with the presence of Schumi, the ex driver I think is still a big question.

Melqui
28th May 2008, 06:22
I think Kimi is just more mature driver now, He has learn to correct his mistakes from the past. perhaps this is not what Fans likes, but I guess is the best for him as a driver.

ArrowsFA1
28th May 2008, 08:25
Having won the title I thought Kimi would assert himself this year as well but it's not happening for whatever reason :dozey: Has he relaxed a bit too much having won the WDC? Has reaching that goal taken something away from him?

jens
28th May 2008, 10:12
Looking at the posts there seems to be some kind of contradiction. While it is said that Kimi is now more mature, then on the other hand I can't remember such races from his previous career like Oz or Monaco '08 - multiple mistakes during a single Grand Prix?! Doesn't seem too "mature".

leopard
28th May 2008, 10:45
Kimi is back on the track :p :

CaptainRaiden
28th May 2008, 16:22
Looking at the posts there seems to be some kind of contradiction. While it is said that Kimi is now more mature, then on the other hand I can't remember such races from his previous career like Oz or Monaco '08 - multiple mistakes during a single Grand Prix?! Doesn't seem too "mature".

Yes, I agree. If he has matured, wouldn't that make him more consistent and fast, maybe better than he was at Mclaren?

Maybe this video will explain my point better. It's stuff like this that Kimi can't produce anymore. Such a magical lap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFHy_ieU3Pc

I don't think I have seen anything like that from him since he has moved to Ferrari.

jens
28th May 2008, 19:07
Having read Webber's comments about Kimi's struggle in warming up the tyres after his last pitstop and behind Safety Car, then I am wondering that maybe Kimi and Nick are having a similar problems. Both are struggling in qualifying and if in Nick's case heating the tyres as an issue has been confirmed, then maybe we should seek for a similar reason in explaining Kimi's average qualis too? Also in the wet the conditions are cooler and it's harder to heat up tyres than in warm conditions, so maybe that's why Kimi seriously lacked of speed in a wet race.