PDA

View Full Version : Monaco Strategy

elinagr
25th May 2008, 08:05
Hi to all,

i want to ask your opinion, if the 2 Ferraris are stopping early for pit stop, can this disadvantage dissapear in monaco? we know that in the streets of monaco is difficult to pass, so even if the mclarens are with more fuel, if they dont pass the ferraris, the race is gone for them?
Massa was surprised to be on pole..is that because his strategy is maybe normal?with many laps of fuel? it will be very interesting to see this today...
For sure one of the 2 Ferraris will gone from the start and have the advantage with long distance from the others

F1boat
25th May 2008, 08:07
I think that Heiki is heavier than the red cars, about Lewis, I dunno.

Hawkmoon
25th May 2008, 08:17
I think the McLaren's are a touch heavier, maybe two laps. Dennis and McLaren usually come out with talk of strategy when they don't qualify well so I think McLaren are a little put out by having both Ferraris ahead of them.

I think the McLaren has a small advantage over the Ferrari but it's interesting to see that Massa topped all three qualifying sessions. The Ferrari seems to be strong over the midde part of the lap and this is leading to a quick overall lap.

elinagr
25th May 2008, 08:21
even if they have more fuel for 2-4 laps..that advantage will dissapear if they are behind ferraris, and in monaco i dont think they can make up all thhis ground with 2-3 quick laps.Remember past years when someone with a good car qualify at the back, how difficult it is, 1-2 seconds are gone for every lap, compared to the leader

Ranger
25th May 2008, 08:42
With rain, fuel difference in terms of weight and pace means diddly squat.

All the teams can do is pray for fortuitous timing of the safety car and hope that if weather conditions change, then they do so in their pit windows.
This would allow both fuel and tyres to be done in the same stop and hence no extra stops would have to be taken.

elinagr
25th May 2008, 08:58
whats the probability of wet race?

Ranger
25th May 2008, 09:13
whats the probability of wet race?

High.

The streets are pretty drenched now and rain is forecast almost unanimously from 10AM - 6PM, with French TV stating the rain will start at 2PM... which is when the race starts.

jens
25th May 2008, 09:17
If the race is wet, then I'm afraid most of the race will take place behind Safety Car and planned strategy as such means quite nothing...

Ranger
25th May 2008, 09:23
If the race is wet, then I'm afraid most of the race will take place behind Safety Car

I'm not so sure about that. The cranes get to stray cars in Monaco quicker than you can say licketty-split. Also, the only wet races in Monaco since the re-introduction of the SC (in 1996 and 1997) have not had any safety cars despite as little as 3 cars actually reaching the finish.

elinagr
25th May 2008, 09:27
if the race is wet then 4-5 cars will finish :D

jens
25th May 2008, 09:32
I'm not so sure about that. The cranes get to stray cars in Monaco quicker than you can say licketty-split. Also, the only wet races in Monaco since the re-introduction of the SC (in 1996 and 1997) have not had any safety cars despite as little as 3 cars actually reaching the finish.

Depends on how wet the track is, but on those days SC wasn't deployed so massively anyway. I also don't remember a rolling start behind SC before the Belgium GP in 2000. Interlagos 2003 - first 10 laps behind SC. Fuji 2007 - first 19 laps behind SC. In the 1990's something like that never happened. And Monaco is no Interlagos and Fuji - the risk is even bigger there. There may be a lot of cranes, but if car pieces are everywhere on the track, then picking up those won't be much different from other circuits.

At Monaco we have seen SC in years like 2003-2006. I don't remember a SC session at Monaco in the 90's.

elinagr
25th May 2008, 09:40
do you remember the chaotic 1999 race? at last olivier panis take his 1st and last win..what a race..

F1boat
25th May 2008, 09:42
do you remember the chaotic 1999 race? at last olivier panis take his 1st and last win..what a race..

That was in 1996. In 1999 Michael Shumacher won ahead of Eddie Irvine.

elinagr
25th May 2008, 09:43
yeap my mistake :D

Valve Bounce
25th May 2008, 09:54
Hi to all,

i want to ask your opinion, if the 2 Ferraris are stopping early for pit stop, can this disadvantage dissapear in monaco? we know that in the streets of monaco is difficult to pass, so even if the mclarens are with more fuel, if they dont pass the ferraris, the race is gone for them?
Massa was surprised to be on pole..is that because his strategy is maybe normal?with many laps of fuel? it will be very interesting to see this today...
For sure one of the 2 Ferraris will gone from the start and have the advantage with long distance from the others

I posted this earlier in the Monaco thread!!! :rolleyes:

elinagr
25th May 2008, 10:55
this thread is especially for the strategy :P

Valve Bounce
25th May 2008, 11:56
................which has already been mentioned on the Monaco GP thread.

elinagr
25th May 2008, 12:07
your mistake :P

F1boat
25th May 2008, 15:02
And congrats for McLaren to use Hamilton's mistake and full the car, turning the mistake and into an advantage. We may love or hate the team, but sometimes they are brilliant!

ioan
25th May 2008, 15:14
And congrats for McLaren to use Hamilton's mistake and full the car, turning the mistake and into an advantage. We may love or hate the team, but sometimes they are brilliant!

The first SC helped them with this one, however they were way better than the Ferrari strategist who was pants this time. :s

Dave B
25th May 2008, 15:21
They were also better than the Ferrari drivers who made a lot of errors today.

ioan
25th May 2008, 15:24
They were also better than the Ferrari drivers who made a lot of errors today.

If you talk about Raikkonen I agree, Massa made only a small one, compared to the 2 WDCs and Hamilton.