PDA

View Full Version : The most complete team in F1

ShiftingGears
25th May 2008, 01:28
I've gotta say Ferrari here. Even during their transitional phase when they lost Todt, Schumacher, Byrne (incredibly underrated) and Brawn, they still won the championship in a lesser car than the McLaren. In '05 their car clearly suffered from the race-tyre regulations but they still could fight for wins(see Imola) whereas a team like Renault got flattened with the move to Michelins.

Ferrari seem to have something over the McLaren team at the moment, but I don't quite know what it is. But I hope McLaren find it. Last year McLaren really shot themselves in the foot with the spy scandal and the driver feud, which I can't imagine happening at Ferrari in this era. But they won't ever make that mistake again. Mistakes like that only prolong the time that they've spent without the manufacturers championship. (10 years!)

Having said that, BMW are also looking pretty complete as a team. Ever since they became a team independant of Williams in 2006 they have improved every single year. They're looking good, as a team. Their biggest hurdle will be the 2009 regulations, and seeing if they can still be competitive without all the winglets that are so prominent.

Williams is also a very good team, being what may be the last competitive privateer team. They know how to win, and most of their problems, it seems, stem from the fact that Williams aren't a major car manufacturer. Having said that, they are more competitive than Toyota, using their engine. It would be great seeing Williams competing for championships once more.

Renault is a tricky one. They have only won championships with truely great drivers, and without them they seem to take a big step back when they leave. See Benneton in '96 and Renault last year. Also their results seem to vary due to regulations more than a team like Ferrari does. So it's really anyones guess where they would be next year.

Opinions?

Valve Bounce
25th May 2008, 02:47
I thought Geelong was until Collingwood thrashed them :p :

ShiftingGears
25th May 2008, 07:35

Who?! :p :

F1boat
25th May 2008, 07:47
I must say that I am surprised by the class Ferrari are showing without the dream team. They are truly special!

Cozzie
25th May 2008, 11:00

Yeah, and Hawthorn looked good until Melbourne came close. GO THE CROWS!

Ranger
25th May 2008, 11:45
Yeah, and Hawthorn looked good until Melbourne came close. GO THE CROWS!

Hawthorn won the '58 title for Ferrari. Who's Melbourne though? :D

wedge
25th May 2008, 12:11
Ferrari - yes

McLaren - no they've gone through peaks and troughs though I would say they were possibly the most complete team last year (just about)

Williams - no, they've gone through peaks and troughs

BMW - most complete midfield team but should be aiming and performing higher

Renault - no, they've been relying on Alonso to carry the team.

wedge
25th May 2008, 12:17
I've gotta say Ferrari here. Even during their transitional phase when they lost Todt, Schumacher, Byrne (incredibly underrated) and Brawn, they still won the championship in a lesser car than the McLaren.

Disagree - it was near 50-50 but Ferrari was the slightly better car with better aero (McLaren had better mechanical grip) and Kimi was struggling to adapt to the Bridgestones.

ioan
25th May 2008, 15:44
Putting aside the terrible strategists they have at the moment, Ferrari are best, but after today I would count Force India above them.

elinagr
25th May 2008, 15:46
Ioan and his smart words

jens
25th May 2008, 22:26
Ferrari's strategy seems at times really odd to me. Also let's recall last year's Fuji, when they were the only team, who decided for inters in monsoon conditions. :laugh: And today they couldn't give Kimi tyres more than 3 mins before the start. That's not quite the most complete team. Team Schumacher was the most complete team probably without much doubt, but since 2007 some areas have become weaker at Ferrari camp.

I've been very impressed by McLaren and Williams. My huge respect to them.
Hard to say, how good Williams might be if they had a proper factory support, but considering their private team status they are doing very well.
Before the 'freeze' engine was the weak link in McLaren-Mercedes combination, but by now it seems to be fine. Last year they probably failed to manage drivers properly. But I have been impressed by their operation this season and they seem to have overcome the spying scandale quite well.