PDA

View Full Version : Marco accusing McLaren of Sabotage

Placid
24th May 2008, 03:22
It seems that Marco's comments on McLaren might put a wrench on his
future in F1 racing as he accusses McLaren for sabotaging Michael's career.

But as a thought - is it really sabotage by McLaren?

Or is it lack of presence by Michael who has to travel back to Nazareth
after a race?

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/080522091016.shtml

Lemmy-Boy
24th May 2008, 03:48

after a race?

Michael Andretti came to F1 at a wrong time. Most people know that McLaren lost their formidable Honda engine at the start of the 93 season. Plus, having a legendary driver (Senna) as a teammate would make any rookie look bad.

Andretti was the reason why I got interested in F1, along with Mansell moving to CART as World Champion. It would have been good to see him succeed at the pinnacle of European motorsport. Although, it was a pleasure seeing him get a podium in his last race.

It would've helped if Andretti stayed in Europe. But in the end, the history books will cast him as a failure who could not fully embrace the presure boiler known as F1.

Valve Bounce
24th May 2008, 05:24

after a race?

Well, as his grandfather said: opinions are like assholes - everyone has a different one.

But this guy is really paving his way into F1 with his big mouth and swell head.

Bruce D
24th May 2008, 07:16
Marco should rather try finishing races consistently and then trying to at least be competitive with teammate Tony Kanaan first...

Tomi
24th May 2008, 07:22
If you think how old was this guy when this did happen, also quoting a dead guy does not help much, those who remember the times when michael andretti was driving in F1, remember him as a very homesick guy who had no desire for the test work.

P.S. "Bernie keep on looking this is not your guy."

DexDexter
24th May 2008, 08:48
If you think how old was this guy when this did happen, also quoting a dead guy does not help much, those who remember the times when michael andretti was driving in F1, remember him as a very homesick guy who had no desire for the test work.

P.S. "Bernie keep on looking this is not your guy."

He was badly out of shape as well, just didn't realise how difficult F1 is and how committed one has to be.

Roamy
24th May 2008, 08:55
actually as the story rolls out it was the accumulation of about all of what you are saying. Mike's big problem was he wife who demanded the travel back and forth. He did not do his part of the job, However Senna said he was quite fast and really did get a bad deal from mclaren

Tallgeese
24th May 2008, 12:55

after a race?

Everybody knows that most drivers from American based series cannot adapt to F1. Even Jacques Villenvue had some European racing & his Indy stint was largely a built-up to F1, & yes, he ended up in Williams-Renault to make his F1 debut & nearly won on his first year. Even Juan Pablo Montoya was an F3000 champion & did most racing in Europe prior to being sent to the US to compete at CART & IRL (where he won easily having advanced from the slightly inferior but more technically demanding & competitive F3000).

When one considers the facts it's that 'Americans simply can't race because their series are not competitive enough' & ex-F1 drivers in IRL or ChampCar tend to do much better (Fittipaldi, Mansell, or even Dornbos) whereas Sebastian Bourdais was originally an F1 candidate who ended up in ChampCar, but proved the superiority of the F1-learning curve.

markabilly
24th May 2008, 15:46
Michael Andretti came to F1 at a wrong time. Most people know that McLaren lost their formidable Honda engine at the start of the 93 season. Plus, having a legendary driver (Senna) as a teammate would make any rookie look bad.

Andretti was the reason why I got interested in F1, along with Mansell moving to CART as World Champion. It would have been good to see him succeed at the pinnacle of European motorsport. Although, it was a pleasure seeing him get a podium in his last race.

It would've helped if Andretti stayed in Europe. But in the end, the history books will cast him as a failure who could not fully embrace the presure boiler known as F1.

Rather than : "But in the end, the history books will cast him as a failure who could not fully embrace the presure boiler known as F1.";

the more accurrate statement should be: " a very successsful race driver who decided not to engage in the sport, as he had rather be doing something else"--yep to F1 fanactics, that sounds like pure heresy to say there are other forms of motosports and interests other than F1. :rolleyes:

F1 is just another series, not the pinnacle that folks pretend. :eek:

Remember micheal was the one who said marco did not really need F1, and really disagreed somewhat with mario about Europe.

And let us see, what was all the nonsense with with Prost and Lauda at mac, a few years before Micheal? Same story, just sung a little earlier at "team equality". And then there is the story of FA and LH at "team equality".......

DexDexter
24th May 2008, 17:08
Rather than : "But in the end, the history books will cast him as a failure who could not fully embrace the presure boiler known as F1.";

the more accurrate statement should be: " a very successsful race driver who decided not to engage in the sport, as he had rather be doing something else"--yep to F1 fanactics, that sounds like pure heresy to say there are other forms of motosports and interests other than F1. :rolleyes:

F1 is just another series, not the pinnacle that folks pretend. :eek:

Remember micheal was the one who said marco did not really need F1, and really disagreed somewhat with mario about Europe.

And let us see, what was all the nonsense with with Prost and Lauda at mac, a few years before Micheal? Same story, just sung a little earlier at "team equality". And then there is the story of FA and LH at "team equality".......

So if F1 is not the pinnacle of autoracing, tell me what is, and put some facts in there too... Andretti failed, end of story.

Offtopic but it's funny too see the term Europe used all the time, which country of about 50 did Mario and Michael refer to?

cy bais
24th May 2008, 17:12
just another arrogant kid with a famous last name. your grandpa accomplished a lot, what about you marco ? less mouth and prove your merit.

markabilly
24th May 2008, 18:17
[quote="DexDexter"]So if F1 is not the pinnacle of autoracing, tell me what is, and put some facts in there too... quote]

Nastycar, has far more passing, gave real meaning of pit stops ( borrowed by F1 and a poor immitation of it as well---BUT THANK GOD!!! that F1 DID, else there would NEVER be ANY PASSING :o ), and a series where former WDC of the F1 variEty has failed...MISERABLY.....and where JPM (u remeber, the one that gave MS such problems...) barely qualified for this next race (what was it? 47 out of 48....) and on and on and on..... :rolleyes:

DexDexter
24th May 2008, 19:04
So if F1 is not the pinnacle of autoracing, tell me what is, and put some facts in there too... quote]

Nastycar, has far more passing, gave real meaning of pit stops ( borrowed by F1 and a poor immitation of it as well---BUT THANK GOD!!! that F1 DID, else there would NEVER be ANY PASSING :o ), and a series where former WDC of the F1 variEty has failed...MISERABLY.....and where JPM (u remeber, the one that gave MS such problems...) barely qualified for this next race (what was it? 47 out of 48....) and on and on and on..... :rolleyes:

Sure it is, what ever you say, Sir. One piece of advice though, travel a bit more, learn about things, see the world (Monte Carlo on a race weekend for example), your views may change a bit.

markabilly
24th May 2008, 20:54
Sure it is, what ever you say, Sir. One piece of advice though, travel a bit more, learn about things, see the world (Monte Carlo on a race weekend for example), your views may change a bit.

I would go monaco, but my yacht is way too big to fit inside the harbor and the hotel rooms too small and not nice enough for my taste :(

gloomyDAY
24th May 2008, 22:05
I would go monaco, but my yacht is way too big to fit inside the harbor and the hotel rooms too small and not nice enough for my taste :(
http://sf.startupweekend.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/o_rly.jpg

libra65
24th May 2008, 22:15
actually as the story rolls out it was the accumulation of about all of what you are saying. Mike's big problem was he wife who demanded the travel back and forth. He did not do his part of the job, However Senna said he was quite fast and really did get a bad deal from mclaren

I don't argue with the fact that Sandy Andretti was a piece of work (in really bad hats). But the reason Michael insisted on travelling back & forth was because that is what Mario did during his time in F1. Mario refused to take his kids out of their schools to move to Europe. That is why he never took a long term deal with Ferrari. The big guy would have wanted Mario to "live over the shop" so to speak.

To hear Michael tell it, he & Senna got along very well. In fact he was probably the one he got on with best of all.

Yankee Racer
26th May 2008, 01:31
Michael had two issues: he lived in the USA and the McLaren had so many more electronic stuff on it than the IndyCar he was used to. It was just a harder transition to make than you'd expect going from an open wheel series to another open wheel series.

Michael was a better driver than he seemed to be in F1, but it was not sabotage. The more points Andretti scored, the more money Ron Dennis made. There was no reason for sabotage. If they wanted Hakkinen, and they wanted him cheaper, they would've never hired Michael in the first place...

gshevlin
27th May 2008, 03:54
We need to remember that when Andretti signed for McLaren in September 1992, McLaren were close to a deal with Renault for 1993, and Andretti was apparently told that he would be driving a Renault-powered car in 1993. It was only after Andretti had signed that it became clear that Renault would not supply McLaren for 1993, leaving the team to obtain a second-string engine supply from Ford/Cosworth.
The rest of the picture: Andretti failed to move to Europe, and his lack of availability for testing led to the team being persuaded to sign Mika Hakkinen, whose contract included a clause guaranteeing him race time in 1993. That clause sealed Andretti's fate, since it led to the team looking for cause to replace him, which it found via the fact that he was slower than Ayrton Senna (although just about everybody was slower than Ayrton, of course), and kept making mistakes in races. Ironically, he was replaced after the Italian Grand Prix, when he scored his best result of the season, finishing in third.

AussieV8
27th May 2008, 07:03
To hear Michael tell it, he & Senna got along very well. In fact he was probably the one he got on with best of all.

Maybe it's simply because Senna didn't see Michael as even a remote threat. ;)

As for Marco, less whining and more wins would be a good start if he want's any hope of racing in F1.

call_me_andrew
28th May 2008, 06:39
Senna felt that McLaren screwed Andretti.

So if F1 is not the pinnacle of autoracing, tell me what is, and put some facts in there too...

There is no pinnacle. It's not a mountain, it's a mesa.

http://www.cpluhna.nau.edu/images/black_mesa.jpg

Tomi
28th May 2008, 07:06
However Senna said he was quite fast and really did get a bad deal from mclaren

Really? Where did he say this, can you post a link to the interview, I have tried but can not find on the net.

ArrowsFA1
28th May 2008, 08:14
Michael was a better driver than he seemed to be in F1...
I think that's certainly true. Monza was probably a true reflection of his ability. IIRC he dropped to the back of the field very early on in the race so to make it to the podium was pretty impressive.

Of course his wish to remain based in the US didn't help, but other things conspired against him from the start. For one thing he was alongside Senna in a McLaren team that had lost Honda engines and was making do with second string Fords for the interim. Also, given that his knowledge of the circuits was zero in the first place (no simulators in 1993!!) the limit on laps during race weekends hampered him badly.

I suspect that Mansell's departure for America had much to do with Andretti's arrival in F1. He was one of leading drivers in the CART/PPG IndyCar World Series having won the title for Newman/Haas in 1991. Bernie, couldn't have been happy losing 'his' WDC to Indycar so is more than likely to have 'greased the wheels' to get Indycar's 'star' into F1, and while McLaren signed him I think they may have done so somewhat reluctantly, particularly as they had Hakkinen, who had shown well for Lotus in 1992, waiting in the wings.

I certainly think there were a lot of people hoping to see Andretti fail, and unfortunately circumstances, and Andretti himself, gave them what they wanted.

D28
28th May 2008, 15:47
Jo Ramirez in his Memoirs Of A Racing Man is very critical of Michael's commitment to F1. He is unduly harsh in my opinion, but he does point out that Michael lacked the total obsession of Senna and others to put F1 ahead of family, lifestyle, everything. This probably makes Michael a more rounded individual, but not a sucessful Grand prix driver. Mario was also sonewhat ambivalent about F1 in most seasons. The difference was that his awesome driving and car setup skills were enough to overcome any lack of testing or practice time. He did put the car on pole in his debut Grand Prix. Anyway testing in the 1970s was not as intence as it became by 1993 and the cars were not as complex. One thing that dosen't compute is the notion that McLaren would pay millions to sign Michael and not want him to suceed. they were in a race with Ferrari in 1993 for the title of most sucessful team ever in terms of wins. Senna's 5 victories gave them the record, 105 wins.

28th May 2008, 15:54
they were in a race with Ferrari in 1993 for the title of most sucessful team ever in terms of wins.

In 1993, that was not a 'race'. It was a walkover. Ferrari circa 93 were in no position to put up a fight.

Tallgeese
29th May 2008, 00:37
Michael had two issues: he lived in the USA and the McLaren had so many more electronic stuff on it than the IndyCar he was used to. It was just a harder transition to make than you'd expect going from an open wheel series to another open wheel series.

Michael was a better driver than he seemed to be in F1, but it was not sabotage. The more points Andretti scored, the more money Ron Dennis made. There was no reason for sabotage. If they wanted Hakkinen, and they wanted him cheaper, they would've never hired Michael in the first place...

I don't agree on the part of 'more electronic stuff' making it harder to make the transition. On the contrary, they make the car much easier to drive. However, it appears that Andretti was lacking in many aspects of F1 driving (for example he wasn't adept to wet-racing) but did show signs of aggressiveness early on. Most IndyCar drivers find the technical side of F1 harder to adapt to, but Michael Andretti did show some initiative & fight. He was much indeed better than he results showed.

Yankee Racer
29th May 2008, 02:27
I don't agree on the part of 'more electronic stuff' making it harder to make the transition.
It's not so much that it made the car hard to control or anything; even if it made the car "easier" to drive in theory, it made it harder to make the transition because the two cars were vastly different. You have to re-adjust your driving style to a car that is "easier" to drive than one that doesn't handle as well.

Also, I read somewhere, probably on F1 Rejects, that in Brazil, he didn't realize that the shift from 1 to 2 was not automatic as it was in CART, and completely butchered the start by the time he realized he had to shift manually.

Nicholas Morse
29th May 2008, 07:05
Tallgeese

When one considers the facts it's that 'Americans simply can't race because their series are not competitive enough' & ex-F1 drivers in IRL or ChampCar tend to do much better (Fittipaldi, Mansell, or even Dornbos) whereas Sebastian Bourdais was originally an F1 candidate who ended up in ChampCar, but proved the superiority of the F1-learning curve.

Let's try to put some facts and logic into our arguments before making blanket statements. As you can see, many other people in this thread have used historical race data to back up their points. It is also received much better.

I do believe (historically) that American Phil Hill won the Formula 1 title back in 1961. Which of course, some would say, was because of Ferrari's superior car and the death of Trips after his incident with Clark.

He was then followed by American Mario Andretti who won the F1 title back in 1978 while driving for Lotus. Andretti got the shaft when he first came into F1 (which is expected I guess, guys should have to earn their rides) and he did.

Now of course, Michael just can't do it, no mention that he obviously didn't have as good of equipment that his teammate did. I think we all know how that goes.

Hamilton has better equipment than Kovalainen right now. Maasa and Räikkönen might actually have very close equipment I can't tell whose is better.

We all know that the cars make the driver in Formula 1, anyone who denies that doesn't follow the sport. The cars make the driver, but it takes a great driver to do something special with that great car. I.E. Schumacher, Prost, Senna, Piquet, Lauda, Fittipaldi, Stewart...etc.etc.

All I am saying is, I would just appreciate a sound argument and not one off the hip without any intellectual thought towards the subject being commented.

And by the way. Marco shouldn't be in Formula 1, he hasn't done anything in IRL yet.

-Nic

P.S. Hugs and Kisses.
P.S.S. You can't compare NASCAR and F1. It is like eating an apple, then eating an orange, and trying to decide which kiwi tastes better. They are too different to make comparisons about which one is more difficult. They are each to their own.

Tomi
29th May 2008, 08:19
Hamilton has better equipment than Kovalainen right now.

Please share your knowledge tell a bit more what is the difference in their equipment.

SGWilko
29th May 2008, 10:00
Please share your knowledge tell a bit more what is the difference in their equipment.

Lewis's car has Lewis Hamilton on the cockpit, Heikki's says Heikki Kavalainen on the side. ;) :laugh:

That comment from Morse (does he drive a classic Jag?) struck me as weird too. Perhaps he knows sommat, eh? :p :

Knock-on
29th May 2008, 10:21
Let's try to put some facts and logic into our arguments before making blanket statements.

Hamilton has better equipment than Kovalainen right now. Maasa and Räikkönen might actually have very close equipment I can't tell whose is better.

All I am saying is, I would just appreciate a sound argument and not one off the hip without any intellectual thought towards the subject being commented.

I apologise sincerely for selectivly quoting your post but I felt it necessary.

What facts have you that LH has better equipment than HK?

What Logic is there for a F1 team to disadvantage one of their drivers with inferior equipment, thus handicapping their chances of success?

Like you, I appreciate sound arguements and would welcome a reasoned response.

Regards

Nicholas Morse
29th May 2008, 20:44
I apologise sincerely for selectivly quoting your post but I felt it necessary.

What facts have you that LH has better equipment than HK?

What Logic is there for a F1 team to disadvantage one of their drivers with inferior equipment, thus handicapping their chances of success?

Like you, I appreciate sound arguements and would welcome a reasoned response.

Regards

Hamilton is in the first seat. That is always the better car. Switch them around, I think you would see HK being a tenth or two faster than LH on a regular basis.

I don't think that the teams disadvantage one of their drivers. I think they just give the driver in the first seat more time, money, opportunity to succeed than the second driver. Who's job is to be there, help the team succeed and not always get the perfect settings that driver 1 gets. Driver 2 still gets good stuff, especially at the top tier teams, but driver 2 is always considered the lesser and treated as such.

-Nic

SGWilko
29th May 2008, 20:54
Hamilton is in the first seat. That is always the better car. Switch them around, I think you would see HK being a tenth or two faster than LH on a regular basis.

I don't think that the teams disadvantage one of their drivers. I think they just give the driver in the first seat more time, money, opportunity to succeed than the second driver. Who's job is to be there, help the team succeed and not always get the perfect settings that driver 1 gets. Driver 2 still gets good stuff, especially at the top tier teams, but driver 2 is always considered the lesser and treated as such.

-Nic

Applying your logic then, who is in the 'first seat' at Ferrari then, and explain in no more than 100 words the variations between the Reds drivers. ;)

markabilly
31st May 2008, 06:01

-Nic
Not necessarily--BUT each driver has slight variations in style, and a certain design of a car to perform in a certain manner, might well suit the driving style of one driver over the other and be easier to set up the car for each particular track, for that particular driver---just making him look faster.

While JV came back to F1, he convinced the team to map the engines slightly different, which resulted in a substantial improvement in his lap times compared to his team mate.

One would not think that something like engine mapping would give one driver an advantage over another.......but......

So it would seem if you want Lewis to be WDC (and MacCheat has as much said so), then whatever helps him will be done, even if it does not suit HK

call_me_andrew
31st May 2008, 21:55
Also, given that his knowledge of the circuits was zero in the first place (no simulators in 1993!!) the limit on laps during race weekends hampered him badly.

They had simulators in 1993. Just not very good ones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F1_%28Domark%29

SGWilko
31st May 2008, 23:39
They had simulators in 1993. Just not very good ones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F1_%28Domark%29

I think the simulators the teams use are a little more involved than a game made for the home computer/console market....

markabilly
1st June 2008, 01:10
Jo Ramirez in his Memoirs Of A Racing Man is very critical of Michael's commitment to F1. He is unduly harsh in my opinion, but he does point out that Michael lacked the total obsession of Senna and others to put F1 ahead of family, lifestyle, everything. This probably makes Michael a more rounded individual, but not a sucessful Grand prix driver. Mario was also sonewhat ambivalent about F1 in most seasons. The difference was that his awesome driving and car setup skills were enough to overcome any lack of testing or practice time. He did put the car on pole in his debut Grand Prix. Anyway testing in the 1970s was not as intence as it became by 1993 and the cars were not as complex. One thing that dosen't compute is the notion that McLaren would pay millions to sign Michael and not want him to suceed. they were in a race with Ferrari in 1993 for the title of most sucessful team ever in terms of wins. Senna's 5 victories gave them the record, 105 wins.
Yeah, started as the pole sitter in his first gp and probably would have won, except he damaged his front wing or the car

Well Mario said that with all the wings and stuff, the cars were becoming more and more like go karts and such, and I am not sure that except perhaps in the rain, the kind of "touch" that made Clark, mario and such so very great, has just faded out of need.....as mario said :"the cars were getting absurd, really crude, with no suspension movement whatever. It was toggle switch driving with no need for any kind of delicacy...it made leaving Formula One a lot easier than it would have been." :(

Jag_Warrior
1st June 2008, 20:24
Jo Ramirez in his Memoirs Of A Racing Man is very critical of Michael's commitment to F1. He is unduly harsh in my opinion, but he does point out that Michael lacked the total obsession of Senna and others to put F1 ahead of family, lifestyle, everything. This probably makes Michael a more rounded individual, but not a sucessful Grand prix driver.

Michael wasn't all that "rounded" (though he did go through a period where he was a little round :D ). Though I was never blessed to meet him, Ayrton seemed to care about people, at least on a macro scale. Michael is very good with money, but he seems to be as far from being a "people person" or humanitarian as one can get.

Marco is the product of two of the absolutely most unpleasant people I have encounterd in 30 years or so of attending races. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that Ron's prime motivation in getting rid of Michael was so that he wouldn't ever have to see Sandy's flakey mug again. What does it say when team personnel are given the task of taking a wife shopping or sight seeing, so she'll stop getting in the way and causing problems in the paddock? And then there was Michael... flying in for sessions. Did he even know the mechanics by name? I don't know. But I do know that it's easier to get people to do the best job for you when they feel some connection to you, or admiration for you.

While I admire Marco for being the good son, in taking up for his dad, it was Michael's lack of dedication, and doing what it took to be successful in F1, that is to blame. As for Marco, I've seen no sign that he's a blinding talent. So I don't think he needs to worry about F1, unless Honda wants to strap him and Danica into one of their slugs for some demo/PR laps.

jens
1st June 2008, 21:02
By raw speed Michael Andretti wasn't totally hopeless in F1. If I remember correctly, then in terms of laptimes he managed to be fairly close to Senna in several qualifyings. But his problem was that in his debut season he had a team-mate, who was simply "too fast", which resulted in awful amount of driver errors as Andretti desperately tried to match him. Donington 1993 is one of the best examples of this. Senna had just passed Wendlinger for P3. Moments later Andretti tried to do the same and took both Wendlinger and himself off onto the gravel trap...

markabilly
2nd June 2008, 00:12
By raw speed Michael Andretti wasn't totally hopeless in F1. If I remember correctly, then in terms of laptimes he managed to be fairly close to Senna in several qualifyings. But his problem was that in his debut season he had a team-mate, who was simply "too fast", which resulted in awful amount of driver errors as Andretti desperately tried to match him. Donington 1993 is one of the best examples of this. Senna had just passed Wendlinger for P3. Moments later Andretti tried to do the same and took both Wendlinger and himself off onto the gravel trap...
For that matter Mr. G. Berger as Senna's team mate had much the same fate when compared to Senna. I remember some story about there was the time that Senna took off for a couple of months while Berger worked extra hard to develope the car and so forth. Senna returns and is immediately much faster than berger right out of the box....

Knock-on
2nd June 2008, 13:25

-Nic

Well, that really is an incredible claim!!

When the difference between 2 drivers is measured in 1,000's of an second, you think 2 thenths can be gained by just switching cars :laugh:

Sorry Nic but this makes no sense whatsoever.

If we go on heresay, rumour and opinion, FA claimed he brought 6/10's of a second to McLaren and then being in the number 1 car (after all, you wouldn't put a rookie in the no_1 over a WDC no matter what you thought of him) gave him another 2/10's?

What you are trying to say is that lisetening to you and Fernando, Lewis was over 8/10's of a second a lap quicker than Fernando. Now this year, in your world, Lewis has the No_1 car and as he and HK are similar on raw pace, then HK has a 2/10 advantage over his team make meaning he is a second a lap faster than Fernando. :laugh:

It is true that in development, cars can be adjusted to different drivers styles. We know MS liked running way more electronic aids and the car was built around that.

Claiming that there is 2/10's of a sec between the 2 McLaren cars is laughable.