PDA

View Full Version : If you could start your own F1 team?

Tallgeese
23rd May 2008, 15:07
Suppose you were given the following regulations for 2009:

1. You can buy any chassis from the 2006 - 2008 seasons (but build it yourself!) for one year only (next year's model you must design yourself)

2. You are allowed to buy any engine/gearbox you choose from the same period.

I would choose to build on either the Ferrari 248 or F2007, but I would also try to acquire the Mercedes FO108-series engines, or even seek out the Cosworth CS2006 (the Cosworth is my prefered option because it produces 830hop but is unreliable) & I believe that the Cosworth could have developed the CS2006 to become more reliable had it not been for the 'engine-freeze' by FOM/FIA!

Team Name: Tabbara Racing with Cosworth engines.

Tabbara-Cosworth

As the year of entry is 2010, the car would be called BT210

SGWilko
23rd May 2008, 15:21
Probably still going to be cheaper to heat my house by burning £50 notes....

ASCAR24/7/365.5
23rd May 2008, 15:23
id have last years red bull with the mclaren engien from last year

or this years bmw with this years ferrari engine in

cy bais
23rd May 2008, 15:33
i'd have a slimmed down (F1 compliant) version of the Panoz DP01 with the Cosworth engine (little CC fan bias here)
:)

ChrisS
23rd May 2008, 15:46
I would not take part in 2009 and I would use the money to built a test mule for my full time entry in 2010

if I had to buy a car I would buy a fully developed 2008 car from one of the top teams and equip it with the engine it was designed to house otherwise using Ferrari chassis with Mercedes engines or whatever will result in a frankenstein monster that will not work on track

dc10
23rd May 2008, 15:53
I have no desire to own an F1 team and throw good money after bad but I enjoy watching others do it :D

JSH
23rd May 2008, 15:58
I'd just buy this years(2008) Ferrari - Chassis, Engine and gearbox.

Give it a "Privateer" paint scheme that still reflects it's a Ferrari but differentiates from the Factory Team and call it good.

Knock-on
23rd May 2008, 16:21
Don't get Bagwan started on the Champagne and Corinthian leather :laugh:

elinagr
23rd May 2008, 17:12
what a ***** thread

V12
23rd May 2008, 17:31
I'd build my own car, shop for the best customer engine deal and run on Michelin tyres.

Then when I wasn't allowed to do that I'd tell Bernie and Max to f-off and then I'd go sports prototype racing :)

Bagwan
23rd May 2008, 17:57
Don't get Bagwan started on the Champagne and Corinthian leather :laugh:

You must be mistaking me for Sir Bagley Knock .

Knock-on
23rd May 2008, 19:27
You must be mistaking me for Sir Bagley Knock .

Ahhh, your venerable Uncle and friend to the F1 stars :D

jens
23rd May 2008, 19:38
The technical regulations next year are so different that I don't think it can be possible to use a chassis from previous years. But I guess this aspect wasn't the key of the thread. If the new tech. regulations won't be a problem, then the best choice is to use the best chassis of the latest season - F2008! :D With Ferrari engine of course (not sure, whether any other engine would fit into the car).

Big Ben
23rd May 2008, 20:18
what a ***** thread

you are an idiot

elinagr
23rd May 2008, 21:46
eu (http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/member.php?u=93025) shut up

Tallgeese
23rd May 2008, 22:42
Nah, I'd go for the 248 or F2007 & simply build on it with a new engine. Thing is, the CA2006 engine of Cosworth had the power (about 40hp more than the Ferrari 056 or RS26) but simply lacked the reliability. On the other hand, Nico Rosberg with is CA2006 equipped Williams-Cosworth FW28 managed to clock one FL in Bahrain in 2006 & the pace was impressive, but Williams was forced to retire from most races. Had the 'one engine for two races' rule not been applied then I think Williams-Cosworth would have been a Top 4 contender.

Adapting a chassis to a new engine isn't as simple as 'install & drive' but it's not as difficult as some make it sound. Remember, Williams adapted to the Toyota RVX07 engine in the FW29. Had FIA not introduced the 'engine freeze' then the CA2006 would have been developed with reliability in mind & would have given Williams the power-advantage that they needed to challenge for positions & sufficient reliability. The Toyota RVX08 was chosen on the grounds of availability & reliability but it's probably the strongest component of the Toyota F1 team anyway.

xtlm
23rd May 2008, 23:32
idk Ferrari body / engine

force jeff gordon and tony stewart over there

yeah

CNR
23rd May 2008, 23:59
while your at it why not clone a young michael schumacher and 39 year old michael schumacher in the one team (Oldest race winner: Luigi Fagioli 53 years, 22 days France 1951 )

Valve Bounce
24th May 2008, 01:02
Suppose you were given the following regulations for 2009:

1. You can buy any chassis from the 2006 - 2008 seasons (but build it yourself!) for one year only (next year's model you must design yourself)

2. You are allowed to buy any engine/gearbox you choose from the same period.

I would choose to build on either the Ferrari 248 or F2007, but I would also try to acquire the Mercedes FO108-series engines, or even seek out the Cosworth CS2006 (the Cosworth is my prefered option because it produces 830hop but is unreliable) & I believe that the Cosworth could have developed the CS2006 to become more reliable had it not been for the 'engine-freeze' by FOM/FIA!

Team Name: Tabbara Racing with Cosworth engines.

Tabbara-Cosworth

As the year of entry is 2010, the car would be called BT210

I would save the 3 plus billion dollars and buy two Benneteau Yachts, a villa at Airlie Beach, and another at Cannes, and a ski lodge at Courcheval.

From Airlie Beach I would sail the Great Barrier Reef,
from Cannes, I would cruise the Mediterranean, and watch the Monaco F1 race from my yacht, and from my ski lodge I would ski the Trois Valles.

Oh Yes!! I would keep my Volvo Cross Country so I can transport the chilled Maison Chandon to my yacht.

Can't think why anyone would want to buy into an F1 team if they could have all that.

aryan
24th May 2008, 04:38
SI believe that the Cosworth could have developed the CS2006 to become more reliable had it not been for the 'engine-freeze' by FOM/FIA!

1) Cosworth was here until 2006. Engine freeze started in 2007. You can't blame Cossie's unreliability on FIA.

2) Whilst in engine freeze mode, manufacturers are still able to change parts within the engine if they can demonstrate that the changes are to increase reliability and eliminate faults. Which they have done and will do.

Tallgeese
24th May 2008, 12:45
1) Cosworth was here until 2006. Engine freeze started in 2007. You can't blame Cossie's unreliability on FIA.

Actually the engine freeze started right before the 2006 season. In fact McLaren-Mercedes was re-equipped (in its last race for 2001) with a derivative of the engine intended for the 2007 season. Cosworth didn't have time to adapt the CA2006 which was by & far the most powerful but lacked the reliability & timeframe needed to improve. The only reason Williams opted for Toyota's RVX07 was because they couldn't get something else.

2) Whilst in engine freeze mode, manufacturers are still able to change parts within the engine if they can demonstrate that the changes are to increase reliability and eliminate faults. Which they have done and will do.That can mean anything & besides it's not likely that most changes will pass or be deemed 'to improve reliability' beyond making parts slightly heavier or whatever. It's a mess of a situation I believe, & it's a major reason why drivers don't push the cars (& engines) hard enough.

Tallgeese
26th May 2008, 10:57
I would save the 3 plus billion dollars and buy two Benneteau Yachts, a villa at Airlie Beach, and another at Cannes, and a ski lodge at Courcheval.

From Airlie Beach I would sail the Great Barrier Reef,
from Cannes, I would cruise the Mediterranean, and watch the Monaco F1 race from my yacht, and from my ski lodge I would ski the Trois Valles.

Oh Yes!! I would keep my Volvo Cross Country so I can transport the chilled Maison Chandon to my yacht.

Can't think why anyone would want to buy into an F1 team if they could have all that.

Suppose you could have all that & an F1 team?

K-Pu
26th May 2008, 22:59
I´d also take the last Cosworth engine.

It was deadly powerful, and also deadly unreliable, but dreaming is free! I´prefer less reliability when I´m watching races (so I try to forget that races in Monza with no retirements), but if i were a team manager... Ferrari engine.

Or imagine a crossover between the Cosworth CA2006 and the Mugen-Honda MF301HD... Or even better.. that BMW P83 that Williams used in 2003. THAT was powerful.

Zico
27th May 2008, 00:34
Chassis and engine suppliers aside.. whos going to drive for your team?

Id probably pick Kubica and Hamilton if availability and money were not issues.

Valve Bounce
27th May 2008, 00:58
Suppose you could have all that & an F1 team?

Well, if I had unlimited money, I'd buy the Ferrari team and have it run by Ross Brawn.