PDA

View Full Version : tubes in tubeless tires?

br21
21st May 2008, 16:20
hi!
is it allowed to put tubes in tubeless tires - for example michelin L's o ZL/ZR's? i can't find in any regulations is it allowed or not? maybe somebody knows?
thanx in advice

6th June 2008, 02:45
no not at all, the title looks little hard and kidding

rallying443
25th July 2008, 02:01
thats a good question i would like to know that 2

jonkka
25th July 2008, 07:08
Why would you want to do that?

FIA WRC regulations says that:

18.8 Devices for maintaining full tyre performance
The use of any device for maintaining the full performance of the tyre with an internal pressure equal to or less than atmospheric pressure is forbidden. The interior of the tyre (the space between the rim and the internal part of the tyre) must be filled only with air.

bowler
25th July 2008, 19:44
fitting a tube would reduce the performance of the tyre, by adding weight, and increasing temperature.
I cannot see any valid reason to do so for serious competition, nor for road use.

If you need the tube for strength, then you have the wrong tyre

FAL
25th July 2008, 20:40
Back in the day, particularly with Minis etc, it was quite normal to fit tubes. It allowed reasonably low tyre pressures for grip/traction without the risk of the tyre rolling off the bead/rim and deflating when sideways.

sollitt
26th July 2008, 00:59
If I remember correctly, there were actually tubes specifically made & sold for use with rally tyres ... until quite recently.

Rally Hokkaido
26th July 2008, 01:29
Most competitors in Japan still insist on running tubes in their rally tyres.
And yes, these are rally tyre tubes, so marked and fitted with metal valve cases.

SubaruNorway
26th July 2008, 02:04
Don't they use tubes on autocross/banger cars?