PDA

View Full Version : Scavengers take goods from ship

viper_man
22nd January 2007, 22:26
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/6287457.stm

I honestly thought that in the civilized society we have in the UK that we would have been far better than this. Whenever Ive been to Devon Ive got the general impression that the people there are good honest genuine types, apparently not.

The container ship MSC Napoli was stricken and 40 containers washed ashore, prompting hundreds of people to scanvenge, through day and night, goods such as BMW Motorbikes, exhausts, steering wheels and beauty products.

It is apparently illegal if people dont declare what they have taken, but I thought it was highly illegal anyway?

Also, apparently over 150 of the 200 containers that have gone overboard contain hazardous materials, so it only takes one to drift ashore and one idiot to prize it open for some sort of mass infection to spread.

So would you be tempted?

jim mcglinchey
22nd January 2007, 22:36
Did you see the spawny gets wheeling away the Beemer K1200s? Sure you'd just think to yourself, "Well if I dont take it, some other b*****d is gonna!"

J4MIE
22nd January 2007, 23:09
Also, apparently over 150 of the 200 containers that have gone overboard contain hazardous materials, so it only takes one to drift ashore and one idiot to prize it open for some sort of mass infection to spread.

So would you be tempted?

They don't know where the containers with the hazardous stuff on them are. I doubt if any have fallen overboard (yet).

Yes, I'd probably be tempted but have no interest in motorbikes, fertilizer or nappies :dozey:

schmenke
22nd January 2007, 23:21
"Gareth Topping told BBC News he had pulled one of the motorbikes out of a container.
"It took about eight to 10 of us to lift each one out. As each one came out the front wheels were put on, then they were taken down to the beach and over the cliffs," he said."

:confused: Are they tossing motorbikes over a cliff?

Ian McC
22nd January 2007, 23:22
Well at least they are only picking up stuff washed ashore from an accident, in the old days they used to run the ships aground first :bandit:

J4MIE
22nd January 2007, 23:30
What's in the barrels?

Reminds me of whisky galore! :D

Daniel
22nd January 2007, 23:36
I do sincerely hope these people don't help clean up oil from the seabirds or something :rolleyes: Now THAT would be a tragedy. People doing something not just for their own good.

viper_man
23rd January 2007, 00:57
They don't know where the containers with the hazardous stuff on them are. I doubt if any have fallen overboard (yet).

About 200 of the vessel's 2,323 containers have gone overboard, 158 of which are classed as having potentially hazardous contents.

I wish that was the case, but like I said earlier its not

Drew
23rd January 2007, 01:27
This is an age old (well no but you get it) local tradition called "wrecking" but I'm sure it would take place anywhere.

According to the local news, the police may soon decide to shut the beach. Probably so they can take some of the stuff themselves, marvellous.

J4MIE
23rd January 2007, 10:48
[quote:27raqt8l]About 200 of the vessel's 2,323 containers have gone overboard, 158 of which are classed as having potentially hazardous contents.

I wish that was the case, but like I said earlier its not[/quote:27raqt8l]

158 of the 2,323 containers on the ship are hazardous. They don't know where they are - hence warning people to stay away.

The beach has now been closed I believe.

Bebee
23rd January 2007, 11:00
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/6287457.stm

I honestly thought that in the civilized society we have in the UK that we would have been far better than this. Whenever Ive been to Devon Ive got the general impression that the people there are good honest genuine types, apparently not.

The container ship MSC Napoli was stricken and 40 containers washed ashore, prompting hundreds of people to scanvenge, through day and night, goods such as BMW Motorbikes, exhausts, steering wheels and beauty products.

It is apparently illegal if people dont declare what they have taken, but I thought it was highly illegal anyway?

So would you be tempted?

No. Unfortunately, I have a conscience. That conscience would prevent me from sleeping during the night if I did something like that. People who know me know that if they want to live, they must not: 1) ever wake me up while I'm sleeping or in any way disturb my sleep (I guess the only exception to that rule would arise if I ever have kids); and 2) being and/or an obstacle of any kind when it comes to chocolate (no exception there). :p :

slinkster
23rd January 2007, 12:31
I fully expected this, particularly when they said on the news the containers were carrying motorbikes... so I wasn't suprised by this at all.. sad but true.

Personally no, I wouldn't be in the least bit tempted, I'd be more concerned about the environmental damage, but as I said, I'm not at all suprised people are taking full advantage of it.

Dazz9908
23rd January 2007, 12:52
Good luck too them!!!

Mark
23rd January 2007, 12:54
Salvage rights. Good luck to them :)

slinkster
23rd January 2007, 12:59
I *think* salvage rights state you have to leave a name and address so that the company can contact you and ask for the goods back... I doubt any of them are doing that though!

jim mcglinchey
23rd January 2007, 13:29
"Yes, Constable, if BMW want their expensive motorbikes back my name is
Valentino Rossi
3 La Grande Allee
Rekjavick

now have a nice day Sir"

Ian McC
23rd January 2007, 22:39
Vultures! Still seems like theft to me!

DonnieDarco
23rd January 2007, 23:33
One family have seen their container on the beach. All their possesions which were being shipped out to their new home, were looted. There are photos of people picking through it all. They know its theirs because of the container number clearly written on the side.