PDA

View Full Version : Really unlucky

ioan
19th May 2008, 11:49
Or maybe it's just that the team didn't use their brains last time around?!

http://www.planetf1.com/story/0,18954,3213_3580659,00.html

The German will drop five places down the grid at Monte Carlo because the STR3 will use a different gearbox than the one that was used at the Turkish GP a fortnight ago.

Vettel's team-mate Sebastien Bourdais will not face the same penalty because he did not finish the race in Turkey.

ArrowsFA1
19th May 2008, 12:19
Rules are rules unfortunately for Vettel.

I do think these rules on engines and gearboxes can unfairly penalise a driver, who has little or no control over these kind of things, but that's the way it works.

jens
19th May 2008, 12:26
As Vettel was nonetheless running in last position in Turkey and there was nothing to gain, then maybe he should have run off too. :p :

Ranger
19th May 2008, 12:29
Rules are rules unfortunately for Vettel.

I do think these rules on engines and gearboxes can unfairly penalise a driver, who has little or no control over these kind of things, but that's the way it works.

Yep, that's pretty much it.

aryan
19th May 2008, 12:36
As Vettel was nonetheless running in last position in Turkey and there was nothing to gain, then maybe he should have run off too. :p :

Yes, I think had he known about this, he might have chosen to do a Schumacher and park it at a convenient place ;-)

The team (assuming they were forecasting this) probably couldn't tell him on the radio to do this as they would have been accused of 'doing a Honda'.

Knock-on
19th May 2008, 13:29
Or maybe it's just that the team didn't use their brains last time around?!

http://www.planetf1.com/story/0,18954,3213_3580659,00.html

This does seem harsh but rules are rules. The fact that the rules are wrong unfortunatly doesn't matter.

I really hate the fact that we cannot have 1 engine and gearbox per event.

Azumanga Davo
19th May 2008, 13:42
Just watched the NHRA Funny Car final where the runner-up car exploded because the crew had problems activating the fuel system for the run after the burnout. Driver didn't know that at the time and had some choice words for television about it all.

Moral of the story: Things always are a good idea before the implementation. ;)

Robinho
19th May 2008, 13:53
its a tough break for Vettel, but clearly STR belive he can qualify about 5 places better than the old car and race better in it or they'd have him in the old car for one more race - but losing grid spots at Monaco before you even start is an uneccesary burden and why the team didn't pull off with a mysterious Hydraulic failure a couple of laps form the end in Turkey is beyond me, but perhaps they weren't thinking that far ahead at the time.

incidentally i'm looking for Bourdais to shine in Monaco, if there's anything he should know its bumpy tight street circuits and with a new car also this should be his best race so far IMO

Garry Walker
19th May 2008, 20:07
Good news :up:

Valve Bounce
19th May 2008, 23:06
The worse part of this penalty is that he will end up in a grid position where Sutil can ram him at the start.

Hawkmoon
20th May 2008, 01:57
I think this just highlights the absurdity of the rule.

So a team should delay the implementation of a new design for 4 races otherwise they receive a penalty? Or perhaps they should deliberately retire a healthy car to avoid a penalty?

I thought Formula 1 was supposed to be a competition? It's difficult to compete when the rules penalise you for trying to get better.

Valve Bounce
20th May 2008, 02:45
I think this just highlights the absurdity of the rule.

So a team should delay the implementation of a new design for 4 races otherwise they receive a penalty? Or perhaps they should deliberately retire a healthy car to avoid a penalty?

I thought Formula 1 was supposed to be a competition? It's difficult to compete when the rules penalise you for trying to get better.

I think you will have to refer this to Chief Whip Mad Max because he seems to have dreamt up these weird rules.

ShiftingGears
20th May 2008, 07:05
The worse part of this penalty is that he will end up in a grid position where Sutil can ram him at the start.

Yeah. That scenario is not unlikely to unfold.